• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm making the switch from Apple to Android

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pre-ordered the Galaxy S5. I don't really have anything against Apple but I've had a few generations of them and wanted a change. Has anybody else switched? Was your experience better or worse? Is there an Apple Music store app where I can download music I've had from there or do I just pull it from my computer? Do Android devices restrict you to uploading music from one computer like Apple does?

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pre-ordered the Galaxy S5. I don't really have anything against Apple but I've had a few generations of them and wanted a change. Has anybody else switched? Was your experience better or worse? Is there an Apple Music store app where I can download music I've had from there or do I just pull it from my computer? Do Android devices restrict you to uploading music from one computer like Apple does?

My dad has an Android tablet.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I switched from Droid to Iphone years ago... I loved my droid... And if you read CNET reviews and other review sites they all think the newest Droids are better than the Iphones...

But now that i have an iphone i would not switch back, too comfortable with the usage of the apple operating system...

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switched from the Samsung S series to the iPhone about 6-7 months ago and wished I would have done it sooner. The Samsungs were pretty good though, I liked them. Just not as much as the iPhones. Hell, if you don't like it most plans will let you trade out phones after 6 months or so anymore.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I switched from Droid to Iphone years ago... I loved my droid... And if you read CNET reviews and other review sites they all think the newest Droids are better than the Iphones...

But now that i have an iphone i would not switch back, too comfortable with the usage of the apple operating system...

What do you like more about iOS? There doesn't seem like there is much of a distinct difference other than the aesthetics of the icons and the home screen layout. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is whether I'll like the bigger screen or not. I don't use my phone to watch movies that often so if it was really uncomfortable to have in my pocket the extra screen size would be a bummer.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like my Droid phone and tablet, but it's the only thing I've owned, so I can't compare it to Apple

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is an iTunes app (actually more than one) for droids, but to answer that last part I just copy songs from my computer. There is no restriction for how you get your media on your device with droids. That's one of the main selling points is their more open platform and less restrictive policies. I have plenty of 'acquired' songs on mine. :whistle:

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have an Galaxy S4. Wife has an iPhone 4S. They each suit our individual needs. The wife likes the apple phone because of its simplicity. It's really easy to use, and her employer issues macbooks anyway, so she's already in the ecosystem. I preferred the Samsung for it's screen, camera, memory, and processor/speed. It's pretty dynamic, more so than any other phone I saw on the market at the time, so it fits in with my day to day work and personal needs. It's just large enough that I can get away without a tablet for quick plans/specs checks and notes/photos in the field, yet still fits in my jacket pockets, and syncs seamlessly with multiple platforms.

For most people, I doubt it really matters: they both make good products right now. Besides a few distinct features, it's only a matter of preference.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the Galaxy s4 and love it. I don't do much about itunes stuff though because I listen to siriusXM on it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you like more about iOS? There doesn't seem like there is much of a distinct difference other than the aesthetics of the icons and the home screen layout. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is whether I'll like the bigger screen or not. I don't use my phone to watch movies that often so if it was really uncomfortable to have in my pocket the extra screen size would be a bummer.

Well, it helps that i have been an apple computer owner throughout my time as an Iphone owner... and i have realized that when i had the droid, it just didnt connect as well to my computer... Even when i i help my dad with his droid, i think the iphone is much easier connecting with my computer than the droid is with any computer... This means downloading music, movies, and uploading pictures...

I also like how when you download something on the Iphone it automatically pops up on the screen, and then you can organize your folders how ever you want... With the Droid, when you download apps, it is harder to find...

As for internet speed, that is all about network and wifi strength, so that is irrelevant to me...

What i have noticed when it comes to Iphone vs Droid, is that it all depends on your other possesions... If you have an Ipad, and a mac computer, you should have a Iphone, If you have a mac no matter what you should be buying all apple...

If you are a PC person, then it is more of a debate... But once you make your decision, and you want both a tablet and a phone, you should have them be the same...

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a very early adopter of Android.... a few years later went apple.... now I'm a windows phone guy.

As a tech guy with a deep history of frustration with Microsoft, I'm surprised I'm here... but I'm here for good. Windows is where its at as far as mobile platforms are concerned.

Android - Good for techy people that want to configure, customize, hack their phone
Apple - Good for people that want elegance and don't mind paying for everything mobile
Windows - Good for people that want a simple, clutter-free, practical phone

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once you get used to the bigger screen you'll wonder how you ever used an iphone in the first place.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think gordon called me elegant.... *blush*

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to do a side by side comparison of product like android run Galaxy 5 and new HTC vs iPhone since the iPhone 6 hasn't been announced yet. But it's coming summer or early fall. And most importantly, the screen will be bigger.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went from Android to Apple and personally I much prefer Apple products. My old Android phone (HTC) started getting really slow after about a year and lagged super hard whenever I'd open my text messages, to the point where I could hardly even open them anymore. I've had my iPhone 5 since Jan 2013 and it still works as well as it did when I bought it.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an iTunes app (actually more than one) for droids, but to answer that last part I just copy songs from my computer. There is no restriction for how you get your media on your device with droids. That's one of the main selling points is their more open platform and less restrictive policies. I have plenty of 'acquired' songs on mine. :whistle:
Thank goodness. It really bothered me that I needed to upload songs from one specific computer. I guess Apple doesn't realize we might own more than one freakin computer!

I have an Galaxy S4. Wife has an iPhone 4S. They each suit our individual needs. The wife likes the apple phone because of its simplicity. It's really easy to use, and her employer issues macbooks anyway, so she's already in the ecosystem. I preferred the Samsung for it's screen, camera, memory, and processor/speed. It's pretty dynamic, more so than any other phone I saw on the market at the time, so it fits in with my day to day work and personal needs. It's just large enough that I can get away without a tablet for quick plans/specs checks and notes/photos in the field, yet still fits in my jacket pockets, and syncs seamlessly with multiple platforms.

For most people, I doubt it really matters: they both make good products right now. Besides a few distinct features, it's only a matter of preference.
I think the main things that drew me to it was expandable memory, being waterproof up to a meter in depth, and the processor. My car uses a USB to iPhone connection for music so I'm really hoping all I need is a USB to S5 wire for it to be compatible. I wouldn't be too distraught if I had to upgrade that too (because it's almost time anyways). The time between with no access to the music on my phone would suck though.

Well, it helps that i have been an apple computer owner throughout my time as an Iphone owner... and i have realized that when i had the droid, it just didnt connect as well to my computer... Even when i i help my dad with his droid, i think the iphone is much easier connecting with my computer than the droid is with any computer... This means downloading music, movies, and uploading pictures...

I also like how when you download something on the Iphone it automatically pops up on the screen, and then you can organize your folders how ever you want... With the Droid, when you download apps, it is harder to find...

As for internet speed, that is all about network and wifi strength, so that is irrelevant to me...

What i have noticed when it comes to Iphone vs Droid, is that it all depends on your other possesions... If you have an Ipad, and a mac computer, you should have a Iphone, If you have a mac no matter what you should be buying all apple...

If you are a PC person, then it is more of a debate... But once you make your decision, and you want both a tablet and a phone, you should have them be the same...
Both of my computers are Windows based. I just can't get an Apple for personal use when a lot of programs still aren't compatible with them yet.

I was a very early adopter of Android.... a few years later went apple.... now I'm a windows phone guy.

As a tech guy with a deep history of frustration with Microsoft, I'm surprised I'm here... but I'm here for good. Windows is where its at as far as mobile platforms are concerned.

Android - Good for techy people that want to configure, customize, hack their phone
Apple - Good for people that want elegance and don't mind paying for everything mobile
Windows - Good for people that want a simple, clutter-free, practical phone
I wouldn't call myself a "tech guy" buy I jailbroke my iPhones for years to get the new little tweaks and whatnot. What makes the Windows phones stand out more to you? Speed, layout, internal components, ease of use...? Although I do not mind Windows 8 on my desktop at home I find the tiles on my XBOX to be a bit annoying especially while perusing through Netflix.

I went from Android to Apple and personally I much prefer Apple products. My old Android phone (HTC) started getting really slow after about a year and lagged super hard whenever I'd open my text messages, to the point where I could hardly even open them anymore. I've had my iPhone 5 since Jan 2013 and it still works as well as it did when I bought it.

From my experience with Apple (I've had the 2G, 3GS, and 4S) they are all that way. The big jump in slowness for me usually happened when they release software specifically for a newer model. Watch out for your top button breaking on you. I never dropped mine or anything and one day it just stopped clicking at all. It hasn't been a big deal for me because you can go into your settings and bring in a button on your touch screen to be able to put it to sleep. Except if it dies on me I can't turn it back on until it is plugged in and turns on by itself. The Apples are pretty dependable but definitely need a case.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took me 2 years to get used to the iPhone. Made the switch in December. Wish I had my iPhone back.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Androids are buggy, pieces of useless shit. I made the mistake of buying/trying an Android tablet and I hate it. My brother has the Samsung S4 and he hates it and so do I. There is literally no comparison to be made. Androids are more customizable but if that's something you're interested in, you can jailbreak your iPhone and do anything that you want. I'm awaiting the iPhone 6 and will buy it as soon as it's available.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything. It's not perfect, but jailbreak it and you have the best of both worlds.