• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iggy to the Dubs

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MT2 Article: Warriors Gain Much-Needed Flexibility with Three-Way Trade « Inside the Warriors

The Warriors are working on completing a 3-team trade with Denver and Utah for Iggy. By completing the sign and trade it allow the Warriors much more cap flexibility and ability to sign other free agents. This should help our depth, but with Landry and Jack already signing it means they still won't be back. Hickson is also off the market too.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post. However, this front office has proven that the price of a pick in the late 20s is not too high to insure continued success on the floor. If any fans can embrace a new era, it's Warriors' Fans... probably Cubs and Bengals fans, too. :)

Yep, like most Dub Fans, I'm 95% scar tissue.

When I think about giving up "expiring contracts", especially in salary cap sports, I expect the team giving those away to get contracts back.

Iggy , 29 years old, in his prime, will be better than any picks in the short term.

But longterm? Still to be determined, it really depends on what UTA is able to do with those picks.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is we have interest in Speights. So glad this deal has gone down like this allowing us to sign some guys.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, like most Dub Fans, I'm 95% scar tissue.

When I think about giving up "expiring contracts", especially in salary cap sports, I expect the team giving those away to get contracts back.

Iggy , 29 years old, in his prime, will be better than any picks in the short term.

But longterm? Still to be determined, it really depends on what UTA is able to do with those picks.

I'd love to see what Utah does with two late 1st rounders and a couple 2nd rounders. This is the NBA draft we're talking. At that point you're going to find projects. Sure some turn out great, but some are just huge misses. I'd much rather have Iggy + whatever backups we get for the next 4 seasons than whatever those drafts would've gotten us. Not to mention the tax implications that would've occurred had we been forced to maintain RJeff and Biedrins for another season.

With this move, we have become a FA destination. You need to wrap your head around that because it's been damn near forever since we've been able to say this.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see what Utah does with two late 1st rounders and a couple 2nd rounders. This is the NBA draft we're talking. At that point you're going to find projects. Sure some turn out great, but some are just huge misses. I'd much rather have Iggy + whatever backups we get for the next 4 seasons than whatever those drafts would've gotten us. Not to mention the tax implications that would've occurred had we been forced to maintain RJeff and Biedrins for another season.

With this move, we have become a FA destination. You need to wrap your head around that because it's been damn near forever since we've been able to say this.

Like the Titanic floating towards the iceberg, give me time, things are turning around. I agee.

I'm still thinking longterm. FA's may see this as a better destination, but Salary Cap rules will still only let us offer so much. We still have millions tied into D.Lee for years to come. Bogut comes off the books next year, so things will be interesting.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Giving up what should be a late first rounder hurts a lot? I think that is a overreaction. I think giving up only two 1sts to get rid of two guys that are terribly and vastly overpaid so you can add a legit player is a a no brainer. I know I saw Chuck talking about adding Iggy and in his proposal I think we had to part with Klay or Barnes but were gaining a pick. I love the move and I think Iggy fits in great with the rest of team.

Don't forget, the Warriors bought the 26th pick this year and if the team is relatively healthy I think we are looking at a low to mid 20s pick that we are giving up to Utah next year. Yes the 2014 draft is much deeper, but the Warriors have shown they have the ability to buy picks and the future 2nds are easily recoupable. I doubt we buy our way into next year's 1st round, but you never know. So if I was in the Warriors FO, I would gladly trade that pick for Iggy. That pick doesn't help us this year and likely wouldn't make a big impact as a rookie.

Something I want to point out here...... not that this was specifically addressed in this post, but it's the closest one to it.

For everything we currently know, the 2013 draft sucked. It may turn out to eventually surprise us, but as of now, everybody expects this draft year to be one of the worst on record.

Buying into this terrible draft was probably way easier and cheaper than buying into future draft, particularly next year's. The price is going to be much higher.

This said, Utah effectively paid $20M (the cost of Jefferson and Biedrins, who will likely sit on the bench) for the picks it got, and that's probably too high. But we shouldn't think it's going to be as easy to buy picks in the future as it was this year.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I want to point out here...... not that this was specifically addressed in this post, but it's the closest one to it.

For everything we currently know, the 2013 draft sucked. It may turn out to eventually surprise us, but as of now, everybody expects this draft year to be one of the worst on record.

Buying into this terrible draft was probably way easier and cheaper than buying into future draft, particularly next year's. The price is going to be much higher.

This said, Utah effectively paid $20M (the cost of Jefferson and Biedrins, who will likely sit on the bench) for the picks it got, and that's probably too high. But we shouldn't think it's going to be as easy to buy picks in the future as it was this year.

Another aspect of the pick comes along with the expectations of this years team. We're no longer trading away lottery picks, but it wouldn't be hard to guess Myers and Co. expecting this pick to fall into the 20's.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100% agree Chuck, was just pointing out that the FO has shown they can and will buy picks if the value is there so it is not as if they won't acquire an extra pick over the next few years. Also the price they paid when the deals with Utah and Denver are all complete was great value. Giving up the picks that they did to not only shed two terrible contracts and acquire Iggy were better deals than two recent ones made IMO. The Lakers gave up 2 1st rounders( 13, 15) and 2 2nds for Nash and the Nets just gave 3 first rounders (14, 16, 18) in their deal with Boston. I think NBKlee has been a warrior fan so long that he just expects the deal to bite them in the ass.

Definitely don't see them buying into the first round whenever they please. They only paid 1.6 million for the 26th pick, 5 picks lower than the original pick and eventually traded down to get a million back, essentially only paying $600,000 for Nedovic. This was another great move with great value (I think Nedovic is very intriguing) and not one that would be easy to duplicate. When they bought the 39th pick that was used to select Jeremy Tyler they paid 2 million. I doubt they get into the first round in 2014, which as you said, is suppose to be a much deeper and more talented draft.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree Chuck, was just pointing out that the FO has shown they can and will buy picks if the value is there so it is not as if they won't acquire an extra pick over the next few years. Also the price they paid when the deals with Utah and Denver are all complete was great value. Giving up the picks that they did to not only shed two terrible contracts and acquire Iggy were better deals than two recent ones made IMO. The Lakers gave up 2 1st rounders( 13, 15) and 2 2nds for Nash and the Nets just gave 3 first rounders (14, 16, 18) in their deal with Boston. I think NBKlee has been a warrior fan so long that he just expects the deal to bite them in the ass.

Definitely don't see them buying into the first round whenever they please. They only paid 1.6 million for the 26th pick, 5 picks lower than the original pick and eventually traded down to get a million back, essentially only paying $600,000 for Nedovic. This was another great move with great value (I think Nedovic is very intriguing) and not one that would be easy to duplicate. When they bought the 39th pick that was used to select Jeremy Tyler they paid 2 million. I doubt they get into the first round in 2014, which as you said, is suppose to be a much deeper and more talented draft.

That's just it. If early-to-mid second round talent next year is similar to that of the late first round this year, the prices for equal value players will be similar. Also, they will be drafting for need or Euro stashes/high upside developmental guys. This is the position they want to be in because it is exceedingly difficult to strike gold in the mid-to-late 20s, even in the deepest of drafts. Trading picks when it isn't logical to assume that the team will make the playoffs for the next two to three years is a bad idea (Marcus Williams!). This isn't that team or front office.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said. You're right, you can see how having a GM who is actually knowledgeable in math and how the system works can find value with these kind of picks - no offense to Mully but he was basically a reincarnation of Gary St. Jean.

That's just it. If early-to-mid second round talent next year is similar to that of the late first round this year, the prices for equal value players will be similar. Also, they will be drafting for need or Euro stashes/high upside developmental guys. This is the position they want to be in because it is exceedingly difficult to strike gold in the mid-to-late 20s, even in the deepest of drafts. Trading picks when it isn't logical to assume that the team will make the playoffs for the next two to three years is a bad idea (Marcus Williams!). This isn't that team or front office.

It is hard to strike gold but having a solid scouting department can deal with that - the Warriors found Hardaway and Sprewell as non lottery picks, with Spree being picked in the 20's. The Spurs scouting department continues to do wonders when picking players outside of the lottery, including Manu and Parker. It's hard, but it's possible.

I was also checking out who actually is in our scouting department and realized that Speedy Claxton (anyone remember him) is currently a scout? Also, this guy is apparently the scout for the European players:

User:Kosta Jankov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warriors Staff Directory | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow warriors sign Tony Douglas the dude plays very good D and is a decent 3pt shooter. Great pick up by Myers!!!

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. You're right, you can see how having a GM who is actually knowledgeable in math and how the system works can find value with these kind of picks - no offense to Mully but he was basically a reincarnation of Gary St. Jean.

It is hard to strike gold but having a solid scouting department can deal with that - the Warriors found Hardaway and Sprewell as non lottery picks, with Spree being picked in the 20's. The Spurs scouting department continues to do wonders when picking players outside of the lottery, including Manu and Parker. It's hard, but it's possible.

I was also checking out who actually is in our scouting department and realized that Speedy Claxton (anyone remember him) is currently a scout? Also, this guy is apparently the scout for the European players:

User:Kosta Jankov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warriors Staff Directory | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

True, and that is as good a use of money as buying those late-1st/early-2nd picks, in my opinion. In fact, one without the other is asinine (unless you're relying on post-draft/summer league signings, which is even more risky). I wasn't trying to say that any pick outside of the lottery equals the same player, so why worry about picks? I was saying there has been a focused approach and backing budget to further build depth, and that makes sense given the construction of the current roster (or even what the roster looked like last week).

The fear of those later picks being more expensive in a deeper draft is valid (and almost certainly true), but if it is, in fact, a deep draft, then, inherently, the team is receiving similar value at the price point that they are comfortable (which seems to be the $600k to $2 mil range). As wide as that range may seem, I hope it is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the scouting budget (for reasons you astutely pointed out).

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now jermaine I Neal to dubs! Nice signing! He had a really good year last year!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iggy Speaks

Incase you missed it

Seems like a humble dude, Sounds like Dubs got a good guy on and off the court.

:10:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would have made a lot of sense from a team construction standpoint. Factor in that he turned down 5 years and $60 mil in a state with favorable taxation laws to go to California, and this guy is definitely the type of player that Bay Area fans love to shell out money to support.