• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I need a game to play god damn it!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly play on PS4. Id need to get a new computer to get something that matches my PS4 and that seems redundant to a certain degree.

Sports games, Racing Games, Fighting games and First person shooters seem to have been coasting for 2 generations now.

Lots of subgenres don't seem to really exist anymore or are slow to come out on PS4. Apparently realistic club racer is the only type of car game now. Twisted Metal type games, Road Rash type games, FZero/Wipeout type games, Destruction Derby type games, Rock and Roll Racing type games.

RPGs seem to have been replaced by MMOs which means storytelling and characters take a back seat to grinding and longevity. The only JRPGs still around are the Tales series and those are junk.

No Mechwarrior or Virtua On giant robot Gundam fighting games like Zone of the Enders. I guess Titanfall sort of counts but that was basically a PVP demo with pretty graphics and no content.

No side scrolling beat em ups. Diablo 3 isnt nearly as entertaining as something like Dragon's Crown.

No NBA Jam or NBA Street or Mutant League Football. Someone was trying to sell me on Blood Bowl 2 but the first one was really dull.

I'm playing Bloodborne and it seems good. Im just not convinced that there are 'all these great games out right now' which seems to be the general mood of gamers. Lots of safe sequels and not any new stuff, nerdy stuff or old school stuff with a budget.
I would be so happy if they made another SSX Tricky. NFL Blitz was fun and all but NHL Hitz was probably one of my favorite games ever too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be so happy if they made another SSX Tricky. NFL Blitz was fun and all but NHL Hitz was probably one of my favorite games ever too.
I was cleaning out my room and came to my old PS2 games and figured that I could get rid of all of them but ended up keeping like 15 of them because they hadn't made anything like it that was better. Tricky was one of them. A surprisingly fun game.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was cleaning out my room and came to my old PS2 games and figured that I could get rid of all of them but ended up keeping like 15 of them because they hadn't made anything like it that was better. Tricky was one of them. A surprisingly fun game.
The only bad thing about it was how monotonous the song became after a while but I think they could easily fix that with a newer one. I wish my original Xbox still worked...I had it modded along with a few dozen games saved on it.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly play on PS4. Id need to get a new computer to get something that matches my PS4 and that seems redundant to a certain degree.

Sports games, Racing Games, Fighting games and First person shooters seem to have been coasting for 2 generations now.

Lots of subgenres don't seem to really exist anymore or are slow to come out on PS4. Apparently realistic club racer is the only type of car game now. Twisted Metal type games, Road Rash type games, FZero/Wipeout type games, Destruction Derby type games, Rock and Roll Racing type games.

RPGs seem to have been replaced by MMOs which means storytelling and characters take a back seat to grinding and longevity. The only JRPGs still around are the Tales series and those are junk.

No Mechwarrior or Virtua On giant robot Gundam fighting games like Zone of the Enders. I guess Titanfall sort of counts but that was basically a PVP demo with pretty graphics and no content.

No side scrolling beat em ups. Diablo 3 isnt nearly as entertaining as something like Dragon's Crown.

No NBA Jam or NBA Street or Mutant League Football. Someone was trying to sell me on Blood Bowl 2 but the first one was really dull.

I'm playing Bloodborne and it seems good. Im just not convinced that there are 'all these great games out right now' which seems to be the general mood of gamers. Lots of safe sequels and not any new stuff, nerdy stuff or old school stuff with a budget.

I've heard great things about Bloodborne. Definitely agree about the sports, racing, and shooters coasting. Too much of an "if the game ain't broke, don't innovate anything and strip it down to so we can make more profit" mentality.

If you're looking for something in the Mech Warrior area I've heard Transformers: Devastation game is pretty solid. War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron ( the last two Transformers games) were pretty underrated IMO. This new game looks like a pretty different feel however.

As far as new AAA titles on the PS4 probably the best I've played that isn't a last gen port or sequel was Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Really well done LOTR rings. It's from WB so the fighting mechanics are similar to the Batman Arkham games but the nemesis system in this thing is great and adds some real replay value. I've also seen that Alien: Isolation got pretty solid reviews. Haven't had time for that one yet.

The Last of Us Remastered and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag are two of my other favorite PS4 titles but they can both be found on the PS3. Great story and excellent multiplayer on both of those.

For smaller titles/indie games I don't think I'd be the first person to tell you that Rocket League is loads of mindless fun. The Telltales series of games ( Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands, and Game of Thrones) are all solid too but they're more of a "choose your own adventure" type of game than anything. Lots of people I know have sunk hours into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth but I have yet to play that one.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard great things about Bloodborne. Definitely agree about the sports, racing, and shooters coasting. Too much of an "if the game ain't broke, don't innovate anything and strip it down to so we can make more profit" mentality.

If you're looking for something in the Mech Warrior area I've heard Transformers: Devastation game is pretty solid. War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron ( the last two Transformers games) were pretty underrated IMO. This new game looks like a pretty different feel however.

As far as new AAA titles on the PS4 probably the best I've played that isn't a last gen port or sequel was Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Really well done LOTR rings. It's from WB so the fighting mechanics are similar to the Batman Arkham games but the nemesis system in this thing is great and adds some real replay value. I've also seen that Alien: Isolation got pretty solid reviews. Haven't had time for that one yet.

The Last of Us Remastered and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag are two of my other favorite PS4 titles but they can both be found on the PS3. Great story and excellent multiplayer on both of those.

For smaller titles/indie games I don't think I'd be the first person to tell you that Rocket League is loads of mindless fun. The Telltales series of games ( Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands, and Game of Thrones) are all solid too but they're more of a "choose your own adventure" type of game than anything. Lots of people I know have sunk hours into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth but I have yet to play that one.
Ive put about 4-5 hours into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and its fun in an ADD sense. The bosses are a little on the simple side but the randomly generated maps provide a good challenge and the game is unique in how weird it is. At its core its a Robotron game with no plot and 16bit graphics, though, and that seems to be the norm for a lot of indie games. Your attacks having momentum and getting power ups really makes the game a lot of fun but its all pretty short lived.

I think I'm good with Telltale games as long as I dont play any sequels. I liked Walking Dead: Season One a lot and I got 30 minutes into Walking Dead: Season Two and it was just awful.

I must say that I just got done playing Bloodborne for about 2 hours and its the first time in...maybe 7 or 8 years Ive played a video game for 2 hours and made absolutely no real progress. I stranded about 11,000 'Souls' fighting 2 wolves who were faster, stronger, had more range, more attack speed and more health before I reached the 2nd checkpoint thanks to dodging into a a random box while 'z-targeting' the last wolf and then I died to an enemy Id beaten 5 times before because I misjudged the range on my attack so I lost all of the Souls. I haven't done much research but it seems they've gotten rid of the ranged magic playstyle, the sword and shield playstyle and the super powered melee weapons that made much of the game trivial thats in some of the other Souls games. The gameplay more resembles a fast paced tactics game as each of the 7 or 8 melee attacks have different ranges, energy usage, range and properties like knockdown, knockback, or stagger. The combat is totally a game for millennials with half credit given for active engagements where you fight back and lots of health potions to get those small bits back but if you get in over your head at any point then you pretty much just die. The Souls games do represent the closest thing to new Zeldas for adult gamers and the PS4 is the first console that ones been on that can actually run the games without massive slowdown. My noob self is totally going to look up more on the game online but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive put about 4-5 hours into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and its fun in an ADD sense. The bosses are a little on the simple side but the randomly generated maps provide a good challenge and the game is unique in how weird it is. At its core its a Robotron game with no plot and 16bit graphics, though, and that seems to be the norm for a lot of indie games. Your attacks having momentum and getting power ups really makes the game a lot of fun but its all pretty short lived.

I think I'm good with Telltale games as long as I dont play any sequels. I liked Walking Dead: Season One a lot and I got 30 minutes into Walking Dead: Season Two and it was just awful.

I must say that I just got done playing Bloodborne for about 2 hours and its the first time in...maybe 7 or 8 years Ive played a video game for 2 hours and made absolutely no real progress. I stranded about 11,000 'Souls' fighting 2 wolves who were faster, stronger, had more range, more attack speed and more health before I reached the 2nd checkpoint thanks to dodging into a a random box while 'z-targeting' the last wolf and then I died to an enemy Id beaten 5 times before because I misjudged the range on my attack so I lost all of the Souls. I haven't done much research but it seems they've gotten rid of the ranged magic playstyle, the sword and shield playstyle and the super powered melee weapons that made much of the game trivial thats in some of the other Souls games. The gameplay more resembles a fast paced tactics game as each of the 7 or 8 melee attacks have different ranges, energy usage, range and properties like knockdown, knockback, or stagger. The combat is totally a game for millennials with half credit given for active engagements where you fight back and lots of health potions to get those small bits back but if you get in over your head at any point then you pretty much just die. The Souls games do represent the closest thing to new Zeldas for adult gamers and the PS4 is the first console that ones been on that can actually run the games without massive slowdown. My noob self is totally going to look up more on the game online but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
Overall I didn't enjoy the Game of Thrones game that Telltale made. The graphics are awful, the time span between episodes being released is ridiculously long (the last episode of the season has taken them about 3-4 months to release), and the fact that the choices don't seem to matter at all are keeping me from getting another one of those types of games again.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be OT a bit but.... Does anyone know why there are no MLB games for the XBox One?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be OT a bit but.... Does anyone know why there are no MLB games for the XBox One?

They don't have the license for it. Not sure on the details but Sony owns the video game rights for now and Xbox has the NFL.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Xbox could produce an MLB if they wanted too, they had RBI Baseball this past year and also 2k13 a few years ago which was the last game made by 2K. The problem is that MLB games other than the Show always seem to range from average to god awful so it's not worth it.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info fellas. Are any of the past XBox MLB games compatible with the XBox One?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still have some options. There is RBI Baseball which is kind of an arcade-ish game. There is also Super Mega Baseball which is pretty fun but it's a single player game. Neither one is as good as The Show but if I were to buy one I'd get Super Mega Baseball.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Season One was about learning to be a black guy... "Is it okay to hit on the white woman? Will the redneck guy get pissed if I do?"...

And then here comes Season Two where you throw all of that out the window and have to be a little teen-aged Asian girl. All very confusing. :D

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Season One was about learning to be a black guy... "Is it okay to hit on the white woman? Will the redneck guy get pissed if I do?"...

And then here comes Season Two where you throw all of that out the window and have to be a little teen-aged Asian girl. All very confusing. :D
I always thought the little girl was mixed. They made a reference in the first game where the main character was surprised that someone could tell the kid wasnt his.

No Season Two sucks because

The likable dad character dies because the game doesn't let you save him. The mom then becomes an unlikable character and then she dies because the game doesn't let you save her. You then find a dog and you have a bonding moment and then you have to kill the dog because the game turns it into an enemy.

Fuck Season Two

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought the little girl was mixed. They made a reference in the first game where the main character was surprised that someone could tell the kid wasnt his.

No Season Two sucks because

The likable dad character dies because the game doesn't let you save him. The mom then becomes an unlikable character and then she dies because the game doesn't let you save her. You then find a dog and you have a bonding moment and then you have to kill the dog because the game turns it into an enemy.

Fuck Season Two

Was that the whole sequence on the frozen lake? Its been awhile since I played it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that the whole sequence on the frozen lake? Its been awhile since I played it.
The start of the second game killed off all of the characters you could potentially save in the first game making the first game irrelevant and effectively all of the decisions you could make going forward seem irrelevant. The way they ended the first game was tasteful and hopeful and then the second season takes everything away, gives you false hope and then takes it away and then traps you with a bunch of unlikable characters. I only made it 2 hours into Season 2 and realized I wasted my time with no investment in anything that is going on.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The start of the second game killed off all of the characters you could potentially save in the first game making the first game irrelevant and effectively all of the decisions you could make going forward seem irrelevant. The way they ended the first game was tasteful and hopeful and then the second season takes everything away, gives you false hope and then takes it away and then traps you with a bunch of unlikable characters. I only made it 2 hours into Season 2 and realized I wasted my time with no investment in anything that is going on.

Thats not exactly true, but you may not know that if you only played two hours.

I thought the games were both great, yeah the 1st was better but I liked the 2nd too. The writing in the game is much better than the writing on the show.

I think Lee and Clementine are two of the best video game characters ever.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not exactly true, but you may not know that if you only played two hours.

I thought the games were both great, yeah the 1st was better but I liked the 2nd too. The writing in the game is much better than the writing on the show.

I think Lee and Clementine are two of the best video game characters ever.
I like Lee but maybe I just felt like that one Walking Dead game was enough. I don't think there is anything the game could do with more sequels to make it better. Lee was a complex character with strong motivations and serious flaws. Clementine was just a plot device. Maybe Season Two gets better after the first episode but the first episode was so offputting that Im not sure I care.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Battlefront is hot garbage. It just is. Their best, and most advertised modes, have a total of 4 maps that you rotate through. On top of it all, those who pre-ordered the game get the best gun in the game to start. And it only takes to level like 15 to get it. Once you spend a few days unlocking everything there is literally nothing left to do in the game. It looks great but it's like 1/10 of a game. There aren't enough weapons, nothing to unlock for a weapon once you do unlock it and vehicle battles are short and pointless. The controls for vehicles are just too easy and basic.

And to top it all off it's Star Wars and doesn't have a single SPACE BATTLE for fucks sake.

I'm hoping my wife got me another game for x-mas because this one is shit.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have the license for it. Not sure on the details but Sony owns the video game rights for now and Xbox has the NFL.

EA owns the rights for NFL players and all that jazz. Otherwise, there would only be Madden on the Xbox.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Lee but maybe I just felt like that one Walking Dead game was enough. I don't think there is anything the game could do with more sequels to make it better. Lee was a complex character with strong motivations and serious flaws. Clementine was just a plot device. Maybe Season Two gets better after the first episode but the first episode was so offputting that Im not sure I care.

Ah, I see... Didn't realize you hadn't played the whole thing. Yeah I mean it definitely gets interesting down the line... Moral choices that really make you think about your philosophy of how things are and who is right and wrong...

The end was tough to swallow...