• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I just want to thank Nebraska and Iowa.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. The problem, imo, is that the Presidents have to worry about things that AD's really don't.

For the Presidents, it's about liability and preventing the players from "unionizing".

From what I've seen and heard, it's pretty much the same in each conference. Presidents are leaning toward canceling the season, but the players, coaches and AD's all want to play.
I don't get the union stuff right now.. Big 12 players haven't come out and say union or no season.. Are they demanding a union be formed right now? Those players who strike can continue it's strike and the rest can play. If this is about the liability, maybe a waiver but ensuring the players are getting the best in preventive measures, testing and treatment.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the union stuff right now.. Big 12 players haven't come out and say union or no season.. Are they demanding a union be formed right now? Those players who strike can continue it's strike and the rest can play. If this is about the liability, maybe a waiver but ensuring the players are getting the best in preventive measures, testing and treatment.

This is where that whole thing gets really stupid. The players who did this basically listed some demands around Covid and then added things like splitting revenue 50/50, getting paid, having a players union, etc.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. The problem, imo, is that the Presidents have to worry about things that AD's really don't.

For the Presidents, it's about liability and preventing the players from "unionizing".

From what I've seen and heard, it's pretty much the same in each conference. Presidents are leaning toward canceling the season, but the players, coaches and AD's all want to play.

I think the problem is that most presidents don't care about sports. They like the financial benefits, but they are hyper focused on academics (which makes sense for a school president). AD's, coaches, and players care about the sport. It is their cash cow (either for a degree, for future revenue, or as a step stool to a professional career).

The bottom line is university presidents don't want to deal with certain types of criticism. So doing nothing keeps them away from that type of criticism. These athletes are adults. IMO, the school just needs to be vocal about the dangers, make them sign waivers, offer large insurance policies for if they die from COVID (these are likely going to freaky cheap for athletes 17-24), and give them the best testing and medical care possible. I don't see why the school couldn't cover itself through contracts, and insurance for potential problems from COVID. I mean, we haven't seen a single death from an NCAA or professional athlete due to COVID yet, have we? (I may have missed one)

It seems like the presidents of these universities just want sports off their plate, and shutting it down means they don't have to think about it till next season. I do hope they change their minds.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where that whole thing gets really stupid. The players who did this basically listed some demands around Covid and then added things like splitting revenue 50/50, getting paid, having a players union, etc.
If the PAC goes with a season.. I wonder if those players will go on strike ??

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is that most presidents don't care about sports. They like the financial benefits, but they are hyper focused on academics (which makes sense for a school president). AD's, coaches, and players care about the sport. It is their cash cow (either for a degree, for future revenue, or as a step stool to a professional career).

Agree. They are also looking at the potential cost of lawsuits if some player contracts Covid and has a bad outcome. The problem with that logic is that they are also allowing students back on campus. I just heard that Notre Dame has already started on campus classes.

The bottom line is university presidents don't want to deal with certain types of criticism. So doing nothing keeps them away from that type of criticism. These athletes are adults. IMO, the school just needs to be vocal about the dangers, make them sign waivers, offer large insurance policies for if they die from COVID (these are likely going to freaky cheap for athletes 17-24), and give them the best testing and medical care possible. I don't see why the school couldn't cover itself through contracts, and insurance for potential problems from COVID. I mean, we haven't seen a single death from an NCAA or professional athlete due to COVID yet, have we? (I may have missed one)

Agree. I heard there were a couple of players who had a little tougher time with it than some others. But even then, from what they described, it was more like a mild flu or nasty cold.

I don't think the NBA has had a single positive test since their players entered their bubble. With the football facilities that these schools have, they could set up their own bubble right there in their facilities.

It seems like the presidents of these universities just want sports off their plate, and shutting it down means they don't have to think about it till next season. I do hope they change their minds.

Yeah, I think most Presidents see sports as a "necessary evil". Sports (especially when you have good teams) attracts students and encourages donors to send checks. If they could find a way to generate that same revenue without sports, many of them would get rid of all of them.

It looks like they might be changing their minds or at least having some doubt. Dan Patrick just said that both the B1G and the PAC-12 were said to be set to announce today that they were canceling their seasons.

He said that now it's looking like they are going to look to delay that decision as long as possible.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The simplest solution is for each school to make playing optional and for those who do elect to play give them a generous insurance policy for any long term effects the virus might cause them and also guarantee everyone keeps their scholarship whether they play or not. Beyond that, nothing. Nada. Zero. It's time we start separating the wheat from the chaff.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the PAC goes with a season.. I wonder if those players will go on strike ??

I doubt it. The #WeAreUnited seems to be getting drowned out a little by the #WeWantToPlay players.

I'm honestly not sure that the #WeAreUnited movement is as big as some think. For example, in the PAC, while a couple of them tweeted support, not 1 USC player was named as actually being part of it.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Ferentz is not giving up yet. It doesn't seem he is being as aggressive as Frost though.

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going down as yet another reason why we should've joined the ACC rather than the Big Ten 27 years ago.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. They are also looking at the potential cost of lawsuits if some player contracts Covid and has a bad outcome. The problem with that logic is that they are also allowing students back on campus. I just heard that Notre Dame has already started on campus classes.
If the Conference cancels and players catch COVID-19/dies, the player's family could sue because the players weren't getting as close medical attention as they would have if football was played.
:noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Conference cancels and players catch COVID-19/dies, the player's family could sue because the players weren't getting as close medical attention as they would have if football was played.
:noidea:

That's actually an interesting counterpoint and may very well be part of why the Presidents appear to be reconsidering.

Greg Sankey was on Dan Patrick today saying that the kids are actually safer at school because of the testing and medical care they receive.

It's also been one of the main points in the #WeWantToPlay movement that has started up. The players seem to be saying that they feel safer at school and playing football.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Ohio State now wants to play?