• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hate when Haslett does this.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with some of what you said, but worrying about the big play has allowed teams to march up and down the field on us. I guess it doesn't matter at this point because from the sound of things, it looks like management agrees with you.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean... IM glad some one stepped up to the plate after my last comment. And I agree Haslett is just an average DC when push comes to shove. How ever Im not sold on Wade or Ryan being what will fix this thing. While they both have had flashes of greatness, they have both also put out some stinkers as well. And I pass on Wade for the simple fact that he still has that Dallas stench about him. I think what would really FIX the defense is to abandon the 3-4, get another true DT in here to go next to any one of the DTs we already have playing out of position. Platoon Kerrigan, Murphy Rak and another YOUNG DE on the line at the ends spots, with Coefield, Hatcher, Baker and maybe one more DE doing the dirty work.

We would still need to address Safety at both spots, and would likely need to bring in 1-2 OLBs as well.

As I stated earlier Haslett CAN make a case for why he should stay. But I agree he likely will go because some one has got to take the fall for another bad season. And he is the most obvious choice.

haz has been mediocre his hole career and that is my beef

but again i dont see him leaving but there is something to what LBF says and his career bears that out

and how many teams can say their pts per game would be lower if the offense didnt turn the ball over or special teams gave up filed position or scores ?

good defenses surrender 3 instead of 7 and most people on this board see his play calling and lack of adjustments and the constant break downs in communication and players not on the same page

this defense would be higher ranked if he coached better

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with some of what you said, but worrying about the big play has allowed teams to march up and down the field on us. I guess it doesn't matter at this point because from the sound of things, it looks like management agrees with you.

Well another part of my logic is that the only real choices are Wade Phillips.. .a guy who got fired in Houston for having a defense just as bad as what we claim Haslett has. Or Rex Ryan... a buffoon who is about to get fired as a defensive minded head coach whose defenses have been barely better than our own defenses over the past few years.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haz has been mediocre his hole career and that is my beef

but again i dont see him leaving but there is something to what LBF says and his career bears that out

and how many teams can say their pts per game would be lower if the offense didnt turn the ball over or special teams gave up filed position or scores ?

good defenses surrender 3 instead of 7 and most people on this board see his play calling and lack of adjustments and the constant break downs in communication and players not on the same page

this defense would be higher ranked if he coached better

All I will say is show me another team whos special teams unit has directly given up 23 points this past season. Add to that an offense that has directly given up 28 points, and given enough bad field position to account for another 27 points?? Offense and special teams basically spotted 78 points this year and we havent even played 16 games yet.

Again I have never said he would be great. But the two most popular replacement options leave a shit ton to be desired in my book.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on Rex, but I am intrigued by Wade. When he doesn't have HC responsibilities, he usually does a good job. Not a leader of men but a hell of a DC. The Texans had absolutely no secondary to speak of. You could be right though. Must admit, you've given me reason to pause. Later.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on Rex, but I am intrigued by Wade. When he doesn't have HC responsibilities, he usually does a good job. Not a leader of men but a hell of a DC. The Texans had absolutely no secondary to speak of. You could be right though. Must admit, you've given me reason to pause. Later.

IM out as well. Working through Xmas, so need some sleep. And mind you all, Im not saying Haslett should keep the gig no matter what. But i am saying he has just as strong a case as the guys every one is pining for. and as for the always mediocre defense... every year there are 5 elite defenses, 5 horrid defenses, and 22 mediocre defenses. I would prefer consistently average to borderline good over a change just to put a new name in place. Which is basically what Ryan or Phillips would be in my opinion.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM out as well. Working through Xmas, so need some sleep. And mind you all, Im not saying Haslett should keep the gig no matter what. But i am saying he has just as strong a case as the guys every one is pining for. and as for the always mediocre defense... every year there are 5 elite defenses, 5 horrid defenses, and 22 mediocre defenses. I would prefer consistently average to borderline good over a change just to put a new name in place. Which is basically what Ryan or Phillips would be in my opinion.

Not sure I buy this argument about the 22 mediocre defenses. There is a huge difference in that group. That's like saying once you get past Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton and Rivers the remaining 22 QBs are all the same. In other words there is little difference between Ben Rothlisburger and Brian Hoyter, who is ranked 25th in QB rating.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, you don't blow up the 3-4. Yes we need new safeties and a CB. A better defensive coach and more talent will make this defense good. What people are not realizing is that Amerson was god awful this year. He should of stepped up when Hall went down. He didn't. He is a huge ? mark going into next year. Our secondary is horrendous the only real talent we have is Breeland. When I re watched the Eagles game Thomas looked bad again. Yes I know we have to give him some time.

We will have a lot of money to spend in FA this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 4 or 5 new starters on the defensive side of the ball next year.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I buy this argument about the 22 mediocre defenses. There is a huge difference in that group. That's like saying once you get past Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton and Rivers the remaining 22 QBs are all the same. In other words there is little difference between Ben Rothlisburger and Brian Hoyter, who is ranked 25th in QB rating.

The numbers bear it out though. Each year there are usually 5 to at most 10 teams that really excel on defense, then there is the rest of the pack that falls some where between there and last. This year the difference between best defense points per game and the worst defense points per game is 12.1 points per game.

The difference between the team ranked 10th in points per game and number 32... roughly a TD per game. So as i said 5 to maybe 10 above average or elite defenses, from there, the rest of the average guys are usually within a score or so of that number.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I will say is show me another team whos special teams unit has directly given up 23 points this past season. Add to that an offense that has directly given up 28 points, and given enough bad field position to account for another 27 points?? Offense and special teams basically spotted 78 points this year and we havent even played 16 games yet.

Again I have never said he would be great. But the two most popular replacement options leave a shit ton to be desired in my book.

we have 22 years of defenses haz has coached and about 20 of them were garbage . i doubt you will convince me that "if he had his players healthy " would ever change my mind

and when i have time to research the things you say i will show you that when our team has a chance to limit a team to a FG it gives up the 7 while other good defenses dont

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers bear it out though. Each year there are usually 5 to at most 10 teams that really excel on defense, then there is the rest of the pack that falls some where between there and last. This year the difference between best defense points per game and the worst defense points per game is 12.1 points per game.

The difference between the team ranked 10th in points per game and number 32... roughly a TD per game. So as i said 5 to maybe 10 above average or elite defenses, from there, the rest of the average guys are usually within a score or so of that number.

No matter how you slice it up Haslett's defenses have not been good. They were built to force turnovers. that was the entire reason to switch to a 3-4, yet they don't force turnovers. When they need to stop a team they march right through them. It's been going on for years here and decades before he got here.

London Fletcher was classless but he knows what he is talking about, he was there.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree DG fan. Shark would actually pass on Rex Ryan to keep Haz. lol.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree DG fan. Shark would actually pass on Rex Ryan to keep Haz. lol.

I would pass on ryan because i think he is an over rated clown. I would keep Has because none of the over rated hacks you guys are pining for have done any better in their respective spots as of late.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan is just a better defensive coordinator. It has been proven over time. Who cares if he is a clown he is a better football mind.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan is just a better defensive coordinator. It has been proven over time. Who cares if he is a clown he is a better football mind.

Again dude, you are doing with coaching names the EXACT same thing Snyder does with player names. Name shopping. Ryan hasnt been a hot DC in years, he has produced a defense that has been marginally better than what Haslett has done in DC. Now again Im not saying I would keep Haslett at all costs. But if Ryan or Wade are the best options, fuck it. Because I fully expect either of them to come in here and the defense will get worse instead of better and a year from now you guys will be screaming for the NEXT new hotness.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not on board with the Rex Ryan idea, just another clown added to the circus is what that is. But that does not mean you retain Hazmat just because he is no worse than the other possibilities. That's a pretty dumb reason to keep the guy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not on board with the Rex Ryan idea, just another clown added to the circus is what that is. But that does not mean you retain Hazmat just because he is no worse than the other possibilities. That's a pretty dumb reason to keep the guy.

Actually firing a guy just to bring in some one with a bigger name who hasnt actually been much better over the past 4-5 years is a pretty bad idea. Give Haslett a complete defense. Stop chasing the stats and the names and build a complete team. Haslett has been average even if you dont personally like the way he does things some times. Im not saying he has to stay, but realistically firing him so you can bring in a name to sell tickets is whats kept this team in hamster wheel country for as long as most of us care to remember. The quickest way to improve this team is not to start firing more coaches, its to actually FIX the talent the coaches have to work with.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, once again you are on an island all alone:suds:. The Marine is you is taking all comers......

I usually agree with you, but this time I just can't. Haz had never done anything, here or anywhere else, that says he is a good DC. He has had 5 years. He defenses have never been able to stop an offense when it counted. Much of that is due to his play calling. Injuries and lack of talent are an issue that all coaches have to deal with. I have no faith that even with better talent, he could make the defense perform, While I think what Fletcher did (or more specifically how he did it) was low class, there is something there. This is a guy that was in the thick of it with Haslett so he knows.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually firing a guy just to bring in some one with a bigger name who hasnt actually been much better over the past 4-5 years is a pretty bad idea. Give Haslett a complete defense. Stop chasing the stats and the names and build a complete team. Haslett has been average even if you dont personally like the way he does things some times. Im not saying he has to stay, but realistically firing him so you can bring in a name to sell tickets is whats kept this team in hamster wheel country for as long as most of us care to remember. The quickest way to improve this team is not to start firing more coaches, its to actually FIX the talent the coaches have to work with.

stop telling us that in 22 years haslett hasnt had a defense . he has and has done nothing with them

i get this year we had injuries but we werent getting beat because the physical ability wasnt there . we were getting beat by people blowing assignments , not everyone on defense was playing the same defense , lack luster schemes and no adjustments during the game

no one wants him fired to "sell tickets " . they want him fired because he is mediocre

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad... fine fire him because he is mediocre. But dont pine for an over the hill Ryan or an unemployed Phillips who have both been mediocre over the past five years and try and convince me that these BUMS will actually improve our defense. When you fire one mediocre DC to bring in another big named mediocre DC, its to sell tickets and hope. Because neither of the preferred candidates according to the posters here are worth squat these days.