• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How did your players do in the Super Bowl?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think Kill is the better coach but I do admit fleck isn’t bad. Hell I wouldn’t be against you guys winning the B1G. I imagine we’d be seeing more of you then.

Well, Kill fucked it up somehow, not even sure how, and not sure about who he was bringing into the program, as his first year away, we almost had a huge scandal? No matter how good Fleck gets the team performing on the field, the one thing for sure seems to be that he has them all going to class, and all doing really well in class, and keeping their noses clean, too. UMn needs that more than anything. His whole RTB/Culture schtick was exactly what UMn needed when we hired him. He's the best thing to happen to UMn since Bernie Bierman came back home to coach the Gophers.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Kill fucked it up somehow, not even sure how, and not sure about who he was bringing into the program, as his first year away, we almost had a huge scandal? No matter how good Fleck gets the team performing on the field, the one thing for sure seems to be that he has them all going to class, and all doing really well in class, and keeping their noses clean, too. UMn needs that more than anything. His whole RTB/Culture schtick was exactly what UMn needed when we hired him. He's the best thing to happen to UMn since Bernie Bierman came back home to coach the Gophers.

Personally I was rooting for MinnyU vs wisky. Theyyy seem to always make the B1G champ game.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) no one gives two shits a bout academics on this board.

2) no one gives a shit who invented the internet( it wasnt only MinnyU folk)

3) you tried to compare college athletes to students on academic scholarship and make some sick burn.

Seriously, never leave. You are a gem

Well, it's fans like the ones on this board that give college sports a bad name, not caring about the STUDENT part of student athlete.

And you should give a sh1t about stuff like who invented all of the sh1t that makes your life as comfortable as it is. If you don't understand where stuff comes from, well, it's why idiots cut programs that shouldn't be cut. They only think about how they directly affect them in the here and now, not the long term affects.

And no, it wasn't ONLY UMn that brought about the internet, but they were arguably the major contributor. Seymour Cray didn't just build the world's fastest computer, he continued to improve upon his designs, on his work, breaking his own speed records, over and over and over again, FOR DECADES. He never once relinquished the title of "Fastest Computer" designer/maker for something like 25-35 years or maybe 40 years? I can't remember, off hand. Add in the UMn guy that contributed to the transistor before Cray came along, and the guy who then later led the team that created the Gopher protocol, who also was in on the creation of email and the url, and another guy who was the lead on the Pentium Processor Design team, and other guy who was one of the main guys at Google, maybe THE main guy? And so on and so forth.

So sure, rarely is any one person, or any one school or department, 100% responsible for anything. But some schools just get all the government grants and produce all of the coolest new sh1t that we end up seeing in magazine articles, or on the store shelves, or that our doctor uses to save our lives, etc..

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's fans like the ones on this board that give college sports a bad name, not caring about the STUDENT part of student athlete.

And you should give a sh1t about stuff like who invented all of the sh1t that makes your life as comfortable as it is. If you don't understand where stuff comes from, well, it's why idiots cut programs that shouldn't be cut. They only think about how they directly affect them in the here and now, not the long term affects.

And no, it wasn't ONLY UMn that brought about the internet, but they were arguably the major contributor. Seymour Cray didn't just build the world's fastest computer, he continued to improve upon his designs, on his work, breaking his own speed records, over and over and over again, FOR DECADES. He never once relinquished the title of "Fastest Computer" designer/maker for something like 25-35 years or maybe 40 years? I can't remember, off hand. Add in the UMn guy that contributed to the transistor before Cray came along, and the guy who then later led the team that created the Gopher protocol, who also was in on the creation of email and the url, and another guy who was the lead on the Pentium Processor Design team, and other guy who was one of the main guys at Google, maybe THE main guy? And so on and so forth.

So sure, rarely is any one person, or any one school or department, 100% responsible for anything. But some schools just get all the government grants and produce all of the coolest new sh1t that we end up seeing in magazine articles, or on the store shelves, or that our doctor uses to save our lives, etc..

For the love of all things Joe Biden, please write a shorter response.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I was rooting for MinnyU vs wisky. Theyyy seem to always make the B1G champ game.

Well, secretly I used to hate Thuggins when he coached at Cincy, but I started to cheer for him when he landed at WVU. But just because I'm telling you this, doesn't mean I'm going to start being nice to you or nothing, lol. Too much fun going round and round with you. :)

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, secretly I used to hate Thuggins when he coached at Cincy, but I started to cheer for him when he landed at WVU. But just because I'm telling you this, doesn't mean I'm going to start being nice to you or nothing, lol. Too much fun going round and round with you. :)

I to am enjoying the banter, as long as you don’t write novels.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The length yes.

The substance is hilarious.

Thanks for the laugh.

Dude, just FOUR names. Seymour Cray. Reynold B. Johnson, Amit Singhal & Mark P. McCaHill.

I could add more, lol. But those 4 are KINGS of Tech.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, UMn is a place where they be naming planets after our graduates and sh1t.

Elements, Minerals, Moon Crators, Antartic Mountains, popular TV characters, Cfb POY Awards, NBA Conf Title trophies, Cfb Stadiums, BB Arenas, Golf Courses, Science Laboratories, you name it, it's a good chance it's named after a Gopher!!! ;)

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, just FOUR names. Seymour Cray. Reynold B. Johnson, Amit Singhal & Mark P. McCaHill.

I could add more, lol. But those 4 are KINGS of Tech.

No clue who these dudes were. My guess they dodged the draft during WWll and became sports stars at MinnyU

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue who these dudes were. My guess they dodged the draft during WWll and became sports stars at MinnyU

WTF? lol Dude. Not even close. Seymour Cray worked as a Code Breaker in WW2, then AFTER his honorable Military Service, he went on to become the most renown Super Computer designer/builder EVER in all of human history!!! He's the one who built the fastest computers in the world for at least 25 years straight if not 35-40 years straight?

You ever take one of those tests where you need a #2 pencil to fill in all of the multiple choice questions by filling in the corresponding circles? Reynold B Johnson created that technology. IBM bought his machine he developed to detect the pencil marks, this is called "Mark Sense" technology and was widely used for decades by phone companies and utility companies, etc.. The Fed Govt used it under the term "Electrographic technology". He ended up with over 90 patents is he is considered "The Father of the Hard Disk Drive" and he also invented video cassette tape. And towards the end of his life he developed the technology for the Fisher Prize Talk To Me books for kids, which won a Toy of the Year Award. He has a technology Award named after him given out every year for the most significant development in information storage technology.

Mark P. McCahill is the guy who led the UMn team that developed The Gopher Protocol, the predecessor to the WorldWideWeb. He led the teams that developed the URL and POPmail, one of the first ever email programs. He also is credited for coming up with the phrase "Surfing the Net". His current work is in virtual technology.

Amit Singhal was a former Senior Vice President of Google, and was the Head of Google Search for 15 years. Fortune Mag named him one of the smartest people in the world of tech.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? lol Dude. Not even close. Seymour Cray worked as a Code Breaker in WW2, then AFTER his honorable Military Service, he went on to become the most renown Super Computer designer/builder EVER in all of human history!!! He's the one who built the fastest computers in the world for at least 25 years straight if not 35-40 years straight?

You ever take one of those tests where you need a #2 pencil to fill in all of the multiple choice questions by filling in the corresponding circles? Reynold B Johnson created that technology. IBM bought his machine he developed to detect the pencil marks, this is called "Mark Sense" technology and was widely used for decades by phone companies and utility companies, etc.. The Fed Govt used it under the term "Electrographic technology". He ended up with over 90 patents is he is considered "The Father of the Hard Disk Drive" and he also invented video cassette tape. And towards the end of his life he developed the technology for the Fisher Prize Talk To Me books for kids, which won a Toy of the Year Award. He has a technology Award named after him given out every year for the most significant development in information storage technology.

Mark P. McCahill is the guy who led the UMn team that developed The Gopher Protocol, the predecessor to the WorldWideWeb. He led the teams that developed the URL and POPmail, one of the first ever email programs. He also is credited for coming up with the phrase "Surfing the Net". His current work is in virtual technology.

Amit Singhal was a former Senior Vice President of Google, and was the Head of Google Search for 15 years. Fortune Mag named him one of the smartest people in the world of tech.
:finebaum:

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TL/DNR

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I clearly remember UMn winning the Big Ten BB Title in 1972 and I remember the Gopher Baseball team making the CWS in 1973 with a superstar named Dave Winfield who then got drafted into all 3 major league sports after he graduated as he was also on that 72 Big Ten winning BB team and the NFL team that drafted him did so purely on his athletic potential alone. It was their 4th trip to the CWS in 18 years, with the first 3 trips resulting in Natl Titles. I remember the hockey team making 3 straight Championship Games winning in 74 and 76. I remember arguably the bb team's best lineup ever in 1977 beating the eventual Champs Marquette in 1977, and then the FB team beating #1 ranked Michigan in 1977, and then the Hockey team won another title in 79 followed by the Olympic team being filled up mostly with Minnesotans and former Gopher and performing the MIRACLE ON ICE, and then the BB team winning another Big Ten Title in the early 80s with Randy Breuer, a guy I saw play in the Mn State High School Championship game I attended. I remember our being able to draw Lou Holtz to come coach the fb team and our winning a bowl game in his 2nd season before he left for his dream job, Notre Dame, he took a couple future All-Americans with him when he left. I remember following the Gopher BB team during a very bad year in 1988 but believing in their potential. 87 was the coaches first year, he brought in a huge class of freshmen, so they were young and did very badly winning only 2 conf games that year, but in 88, despite only winning 4 conference games, they were mostly Sophs, and so many of their losses were close losses. I was living in Germany at the time and remember asking a hat and t-shirt salesman if he could special order a Gopher hat for me. He thought like you do, that UMn was totally irrelevant and he expressed his surprise that I wanted a Gopher Hat as no one had ever asked for one, and I told him that they'd be a very good team in 1989, and later that season, when I went to pick up my hat, they had recently beaten #1 ranked Illinois and he was thrilled about how well they were doing and said he followed them just because of me and my telling him they'd be good. They ended up making a run to the Sweet 16 and the following season came up just a last second miss away from going to the Final Four. They won the NIT in 1993, came up just shy of making the NCAA tourney in 1996, but more than made up for it by winning the Big Ten Title and getting to the Final Four in 1997. They won the NIT again in 1998 and were on route to a decent run in the 1999 NCAA tourney when the whole Clemgate or whatever you want to call it hit. UMn ranked TOP TEN all-time in producing NBA players around this time. But for bb only fans it really sucked, but cfb fans were ok because Glen Mason turned us into a relevant team, relevant in that we were able to beat #2 ranked PSU in 1999, we beat Top 5 ranked Ohio St in 2000 before our best DB went down for the season with injury. We won 10 games in 2003, the year after UMn won 3 Natl Titles in Wr, Men's hockey and Men's Golf. That fb team won those 10 games while breaking NCAA rushing records. That title for the Wr team was their 2nd in a row, the 1st won in 2002 they won by being the first team in all of NCAA wrestling history to end up with All-American wrestlers at each of the 10 weight classes. And later that 2003-04 season the Men's hockey team also won their 2nd title in a row and the Women's BB team made the Final Four. Highly ranked Michigan had to make an NCAA record breaking come back to beat the Gopher fb team that year. It was the 2nd time we came just a fg away from finishing in a tie for the Big Ten title, but the loss to Michigan was the first of 2 huge comebacks Mason allowed with the 2nd one costing him his job. The women's hockey team followed the Men's Back 2 Back titles with their own Back 2 Back titles in 04 and 05, and the wrestling team won their 3rd title in 2007. Then after a horrible coaching hire to replace Mason, Jerry Kill came along, and one poll of cfb coaches had Kill come in as the #2 choice of coaches the cfb coaches of the country said they would want their sons to play for if they couldn't play for themselves. Saban came in #1 of course. Kill was turning us into a contender until he suffered health issues that caused him to step down, and his interim replacement was a dumbass but we got lucky and landed Fleck. The Women's hockey team was wrapping up their 4th Natl Title in 5 straight trips to the Title game, the one season they went undefeated and broke the NCAA winning streak, and got all 3 finalists spots in the Player of the Year Award that year, first time in history that ever happened. Not long after that several former Gophers helped the Women's Olympic hockey team win just their 2nd Gold Medal ever! I clearly remember UMn winning the Big Ten BB Title in 1972 and I remember the Gopher Baseball team making the CWS in 1973 with a superstar named Dave Winfield who then got drafted into all 3 major league sports after he graduated as he was also on that 72 Big Ten winning BB team and the NFL team that drafted him did so purely on his athletic potential alone. It was their 4th trip to the CWS in 18 years, with the first 3 trips resulting in Natl Titles. I remember the hockey team making 3 straight Championship Games winning in 74 and 76. I remember arguably the bb team's best lineup ever in 1977 beating the eventual Champs Marquette in 1977, and then the FB team beating #1 ranked Michigan in 1977, and then the Hockey team won another title in 79 followed by the Olympic team being filled up mostly with Minnesotans and former Gopher and performing the MIRACLE ON ICE, and then the BB team winning another Big Ten Title in the early 80s with Randy Breuer, a guy I saw play in the Mn State High School Championship game I attended. I remember our being able to draw Lou Holtz to come coach the fb team and our winning a bowl game in his 2nd season before he left for his dream job, Notre Dame, he took a couple future All-Americans with him when he left. I remember following the Gopher BB team during a very bad year in 1988 but believing in their potential. 87 was the coaches first year, he brought in a huge class of freshmen, so they were young and did very badly winning only 2 conf games that year, but in 88, despite only winning 4 conference games, they were mostly Sophs, and so many of their losses were close losses. I was living in Germany at the time and remember asking a hat and t-shirt salesman if he could special order a Gopher hat for me. He thought like you do, that UMn was totally irrelevant and he expressed his surprise that I wanted a Gopher Hat as no one had ever asked for one, and I told him that they'd be a very good team in 1989, and later that season, when I went to pick up my hat, they had recently beaten #1 ranked Illinois and he was thrilled about how well they were doing and said he followed them just because of me and my telling him they'd be good. They ended up making a run to the Sweet 16 and the following season came up just a last second miss away from going to the Final Four. They won the NIT in 1993, came up just shy of making the NCAA tourney in 1996, but more than made up for it by winning the Big Ten Title and getting to the Final Four in 1997. They won the NIT again in 1998 and were on route to a decent run in the 1999 NCAA tourney when the whole Clemgate or whatever you want to call it hit. UMn ranked TOP TEN all-time in producing NBA players around this time. But for bb only fans it really sucked, but cfb fans were ok because Glen Mason turned us into a relevant team, relevant in that we were able to beat #2 ranked PSU in 1999, we beat Top 5 ranked Ohio St in 2000 before our best DB went down for the season with injury. We won 10 games in 2003, the year after UMn won 3 Natl Titles in Wr, Men's hockey and Men's Golf. That fb team won those 10 games while breaking NCAA rushing records. That title for the Wr team was their 2nd in a row, the 1st won in 2002 they won by being the first team in all of NCAA wrestling history to end up with All-American wrestlers at each of the 10 weight classes. And later that 2003-04 season the Men's hockey team also won their 2nd title in a row and the Women's BB team made the Final Four. Highly ranked Michigan had to make an NCAA record breaking come back to beat the Gopher fb team that year. It was the 2nd time we came just a fg away from finishing in a tie for the Big Ten title, but the loss to Michigan was the first of 2 huge comebacks Mason allowed with the 2nd one costing him his job. The women's hockey team followed the Men's Back 2 Back titles with their own Back 2 Back titles in 04 and 05, and the wrestling team won their 3rd title in 2007. Then after a horrible coaching hire to replace Mason, Jerry Kill came along, and one poll of cfb coaches had Kill come in as the #2 choice of coaches the cfb coaches of the country said they would want their sons to play for if they couldn't play for themselves. Saban came in #1 of course. Kill was turning us into a contender until he suffered health issues that caused him to step down, and his interim replacement was a dumbass but we got lucky and landed Fleck. The Women's hockey team was wrapping up their 4th Natl Title in 5 straight trips to the Title game, the one season they went undefeated and broke the NCAA winning streak, and got all 3 finalists spots in the Player of the Year Award that year, first time in history that ever happened. Not long after that several former Gophers helped the Women's Olympic hockey team win just their 2nd Gold Medal ever! I clearly remember UMn winning the Big Ten BB Title in 1972 and I remember the Gopher Baseball team making the CWS in 1973 with a superstar named Dave Winfield who then got drafted into all 3 major league sports after he graduated as he was also on that 72 Big Ten winning BB team and the NFL team that drafted him did so purely on his athletic potential alone. It was their 4th trip to the CWS in 18 years, with the first 3 trips resulting in Natl Titles. I remember the hockey team making 3 straight Championship Games winning in 74 and 76. I remember arguably the bb team's best lineup ever in 1977 beating the eventual Champs Marquette in 1977, and then the FB team beating #1 ranked Michigan in 1977, and then the Hockey team won another title in 79 followed by the Olympic team being filled up mostly with Minnesotans and former Gopher and performing the MIRACLE ON ICE, and then the BB team winning another Big Ten Title in the early 80s with Randy Breuer, a guy I saw play in the Mn State High School Championship game I attended. I remember our being able to draw Lou Holtz to come coach the fb team and our winning a bowl game in his 2nd season before he left for his dream job, Notre Dame, he took a couple future All-Americans with him when he left. I remember following the Gopher BB team during a very bad year in 1988 but believing in their potential. 87 was the coaches first year, he brought in a huge class of freshmen, so they were young and did very badly winning only 2 conf games that year, but in 88, despite only winning 4 conference games, they were mostly Sophs, and so many of their losses were close losses. I was living in Germany at the time and remember asking a hat and t-shirt salesman if he could special order a Gopher hat for me. He thought like you do, that UMn was totally irrelevant and he expressed his surprise that I wanted a Gopher Hat as no one had ever asked for one, and I told him that they'd be a very good team in 1989, and later that season, when I went to pick up my hat, they had recently beaten #1 ranked Illinois and he was thrilled about how well they were doing and said he followed them just because of me and my telling him they'd be good.