• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How did your players do in the Super Bowl?

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Airraidtech you got any thoughts on how your boy from coloring book U did?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only do they have to be behind the LOS, but can't have passed it at any point. They see it as a way to be more creative in the passing game with quick double strike passes, but it's just an experiment.

FYI, the head of officiating for the league is Dean Blandino. They are looking at quite a few fairly radical rules, but also some I'm sure some would love to see in college or the NFL.

They are going to go from a 40 second to 25 second play clock to speed up the game. Will have coach to all skill player and coach to one defensive player comms (helmet speaker) that broadcast networks will have access to check in on.

One foot inbounds like college.

Every play subject to potential replay with no coaches challenges, called from officials. Limited on what can be reviewed, but supposed to be fairly quick. They want to get things right without slowing the game. Let's see what they come up with.

Simplified illegal man downfield. Basically moves from 1y to 3y.

10 minute halftimes.

More running clock (even after incompletions) until last 2 mins of half, then it stops more to allow more chances for comebacks.

Sure, the kickoffs, punting, and OT are quite different and may not be hits, but they are testing out things refs and insiders have talked about for a long time.

I'm going to give them all a chance. I expect the talent to be mostly bad/semi bad, but I want to see some of what they are working on.
I will watch as it is football and it is the best sport to watch.
Sounds like it could become sort of a minor league for the NFL and a place newer type of rules are tried out.
I like it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do ya pick the team closest to you? Or is it a free for all when declaring fandom for this ?
I'm all Defenders, baby. 3 former Buckeyes, most important Cardale.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor in college ethier.

Not if you are a meat head who delusionally assumes they will play in the NFL for 25 years after college.

For those who realistically figure odds are the NFL won't be there for them, and even if they get a shot, it might not work out long term, so then it will be good to have a degree and connections that will help them get a good job. I'm not saying it's an important factor for every player, but even if only 1 or 2 players let it affect their choice, that might be the player who makes the difference in one big game or many games?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you are a meat head who delusionally assumes they will play in the NFL for 25 years after college.

For those who realistically figure odds are the NFL won't be there for them, and even if they get a shot, it might not work out long term, so then it will be good to have a degree and connections that will help them get a good job. I'm not saying it's an important factor for every player, but even if only 1 or 2 players let it affect their choice, that might be the player who makes the difference in one big game or many games?

Kids that care a bout school are going to pick the school for the program, not the Fortune 500 5 blocks away that has nothing to do with their focus. That idea is beyond ridiculous.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids that care a bout school are going to pick the school for the program, not the Fortune 500 5 blocks away that has nothing to do with their focus. That idea is beyond ridiculous.

It may sound ridiculous to a person who went to a school nowhere near a Fortune 500 company. Fact is only a select few schools can even claim such a thing, and you think UMn has been irrelevant for 50 years, so I'm probably the first person to mention such a thing to you. Funny thing about that being irrelevant thing, UMn has won 3 more games the last 7 years than WVU has and unless a high school player was watching cfb when they were 3 or 4, NONE of them would remember the last time WVU lost fewer than 3 games.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may sound ridiculous to a person who went to a school nowhere near a Fortune 500 company. Fact is only a select few schools can even claim such a thing, and you think UMn has been irrelevant for 50 years, so I'm probably the first person to mention such a thing to you. Funny thing about that being irrelevant thing, UMn has won 3 more games the last 7 years than WVU has and unless a high school player was watching cfb when they were 3 or 4, NONE of them would remember the last time WVU lost fewer than 3 games.

1) It sounds ridiculous to anyone with a brain.

2) MinnyU has been irrelevant *(as you stated) the last 50 years IN FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL. Were you wrong?

3) Why are you picking 7 years? Why didn’t you pick 5 like you did with Nebraska? Or the last 50 years since Minnesota has been relevant?

4) no high school kid is basing locations of Fortune 500 companies on their college choice.

5) As always, you are a blithering fucking idiot. But that’s right, you’re just trollling lolololololololol

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no players in the Super Bowl. Once they leave college, they leave.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) It sounds ridiculous to anyone with a brain.

2) MinnyU has been irrelevant *(as you stated) the last 50 years IN FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL. Were you wrong?

3) Why are you picking 7 years? Why didn’t you pick 5 like you did with Nebraska? Or the last 50 years since Minnesota has been relevant?

4) no high school kid is basing locations of Fortune 500 companies on their college choice.

5) As always, you are a blithering fucking idiot. But that’s right, you’re just trollling lolololololololol

I never stated UMn has been irrelevant in both football and basketball the last 50 years. Other people have said that and I either chose not to argue with them at the time or did and you just don't remember.

I clearly remember UMn winning the Big Ten BB Title in 1972 and I remember the Gopher Baseball team making the CWS in 1973 with a superstar named Dave Winfield who then got drafted into all 3 major league sports after he graduated as he was also on that 72 Big Ten winning BB team and the NFL team that drafted him did so purely on his athletic potential alone. It was their 4th trip to the CWS in 18 years, with the first 3 trips resulting in Natl Titles. I remember the hockey team making 3 straight Championship Games winning in 74 and 76. I remember arguably the bb team's best lineup ever in 1977 beating the eventual Champs Marquette in 1977, and then the FB team beating #1 ranked Michigan in 1977, and then the Hockey team won another title in 79 followed by the Olympic team being filled up mostly with Minnesotans and former Gopher and performing the MIRACLE ON ICE, and then the BB team winning another Big Ten Title in the early 80s with Randy Breuer, a guy I saw play in the Mn State High School Championship game I attended. I remember our being able to draw Lou Holtz to come coach the fb team and our winning a bowl game in his 2nd season before he left for his dream job, Notre Dame, he took a couple future All-Americans with him when he left. I remember following the Gopher BB team during a very bad year in 1988 but believing in their potential. 87 was the coaches first year, he brought in a huge class of freshmen, so they were young and did very badly winning only 2 conf games that year, but in 88, despite only winning 4 conference games, they were mostly Sophs, and so many of their losses were close losses. I was living in Germany at the time and remember asking a hat and t-shirt salesman if he could special order a Gopher hat for me. He thought like you do, that UMn was totally irrelevant and he expressed his surprise that I wanted a Gopher Hat as no one had ever asked for one, and I told him that they'd be a very good team in 1989, and later that season, when I went to pick up my hat, they had recently beaten #1 ranked Illinois and he was thrilled about how well they were doing and said he followed them just because of me and my telling him they'd be good. They ended up making a run to the Sweet 16 and the following season came up just a last second miss away from going to the Final Four. They won the NIT in 1993, came up just shy of making the NCAA tourney in 1996, but more than made up for it by winning the Big Ten Title and getting to the Final Four in 1997. They won the NIT again in 1998 and were on route to a decent run in the 1999 NCAA tourney when the whole Clemgate or whatever you want to call it hit. UMn ranked TOP TEN all-time in producing NBA players around this time. But for bb only fans it really sucked, but cfb fans were ok because Glen Mason turned us into a relevant team, relevant in that we were able to beat #2 ranked PSU in 1999, we beat Top 5 ranked Ohio St in 2000 before our best DB went down for the season with injury. We won 10 games in 2003, the year after UMn won 3 Natl Titles in Wr, Men's hockey and Men's Golf. That fb team won those 10 games while breaking NCAA rushing records. That title for the Wr team was their 2nd in a row, the 1st won in 2002 they won by being the first team in all of NCAA wrestling history to end up with All-American wrestlers at each of the 10 weight classes. And later that 2003-04 season the Men's hockey team also won their 2nd title in a row and the Women's BB team made the Final Four. Highly ranked Michigan had to make an NCAA record breaking come back to beat the Gopher fb team that year. It was the 2nd time we came just a fg away from finishing in a tie for the Big Ten title, but the loss to Michigan was the first of 2 huge comebacks Mason allowed with the 2nd one costing him his job. The women's hockey team followed the Men's Back 2 Back titles with their own Back 2 Back titles in 04 and 05, and the wrestling team won their 3rd title in 2007. Then after a horrible coaching hire to replace Mason, Jerry Kill came along, and one poll of cfb coaches had Kill come in as the #2 choice of coaches the cfb coaches of the country said they would want their sons to play for if they couldn't play for themselves. Saban came in #1 of course. Kill was turning us into a contender until he suffered health issues that caused him to step down, and his interim replacement was a dumbass but we got lucky and landed Fleck. The Women's hockey team was wrapping up their 4th Natl Title in 5 straight trips to the Title game, the one season they went undefeated and broke the NCAA winning streak, and got all 3 finalists spots in the Player of the Year Award that year, first time in history that ever happened. Not long after that several former Gophers helped the Women's Olympic hockey team win just their 2nd Gold Medal ever!

Oh, btw, in 2003 I remember seeing UMn listed as one of the Top Ten sports schools in the country. And since the start of the Sears Directors Cup, UMn ranks among the Top 25 colleges of all-time in Sears Directors Cup finishes. On more than one occasion UMn was ranked as high as #2 in the Directors Cup standing at the end of the Winter season, behind only Stanford who always wins the thing.

And that is just all of the team stuff I remember off the top of my head.

I remember the year there were 6 former Gophers playing in the Super Bowl, 3 on the winning team and 3 on the losing team. Former Gophers had earned 6 Super Bowl rings in just the first 5 Super Bowls. I remember former Gophers winning Super Bowl Rings in 5 straight Super Bowls, #s 22 thru 26. I remember former Gopher Bud Grant leading the Vikings to a record # of Div Titles and to 3 of his 4 Super Bowls in the 70s. I remember my dad telling me about the 1st Super Bowl while we were watching the 2nd one the Vikes got to. I remember watching Neal Broten playing in the NHL, and I remember watching former Gophers Kevin McHale and Mychal Thompson playing against each other in arguably the NBAs greatest rivalry of all-time. I remember watching Paul Molitor during his 39 game hitting steak and another former Gopher winning the All-Star Game MVP Award, and then I remember watching both Molitor and Winfield getting their 3000th hits. Then I remember watching Willie Burton score over 50 pts in an NBA game and Trent Tucker winning a Title with the Bulls. I remember a Gopher winning the Natl Title in Golf. And yes I follow the NCAA Golf Championships as I golfed growing up, and played a round with former Gopher and #1 in the world in 1996 Tom Lehman.

So sure, we went through periods of irrelevancy in both cbb and cfb, the last 50 years, but rarely at the same time, so between the two of them, we were basically relevant the entire 50 years, to one degree or another and the few times neither were, the hockey team did a great job of filling in and/or former gophers who were killing it in the Pros, for the best teams out there, of course.

And the whole time, former UMners were helping to turn the Twin Cities into a thriving metropolis and were helping to transform the world we live in, in ways you can't even imagine.

And no matter how irrelevant we may have been or for how long, nothing will EVER change the fact that we have a GLORIOUS History that dwarfs anything WVU has come even close to doing.

UMn has 7 cfb Natl Titles to WVU's ZERO.
UMn has 7 Pro Fb HOFers to WVU's 2.
UMn has 18 cfb HOF players to WVU's 6?
UMn has 5 former cfb players who made it into the cfb HOF as coaches to WVU's ??
UMn has produced THE MOST NFL High Point Scorers, 4 players with 10 seasons as the high point scorer in the NFL.
UMn has produced THE MOST NFL All-Decade Team members. 8 players 10 appearances.
UMn has 40-50 NBA players to WVU's 16?
UMn has 4 Naismith HOFers to WVU's 1?
UMn has 3 cbb Natl Titles to WVU's 1.
UMn has THE MOST chk POYs.
UMn has THE MOST US Hk HOFers.
UMn has 3, which is THE MOST Hk HOFers of any American college.
UMn has produced THE MOST US Olympic Hk players, twice as many as everyone else cept BU.
UMn has produced THE MOST US Olympic Hk Gold Medal winners and it's not even close.
UMn has THE MOST wins in chk NCAA tourney history.
UMn has produced THE MOST NHL players.
UMn has 3 cBb Natl Titles, the most of any northern program, to WVU's 0.
UMn has produced 2 MLB HOFers, and 3000+ hitters.
UMn has 3 cWr Natl Titles, the 6th most, and 8 Natl Duals Titles to WVU's 0.
UMn has 1 cGlf Natl Title, and 2 Individual Natl Titleists to WVU's 0.
UMn has 1 T&F Natl Title to WVU's 0.
UMn has 7 W's Hk Natl Titles to WVU's 0. And yeah, I know you don't have hockey. But WVU has ZERO women's titles in any sport.
UMn has 19 W's Dance Team Natl Titles to WVU's 0.

But WVU has way more Coed Rifle Natl Titles than UMn. I'll give you this one!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never stated UMn has been irrelevant in both football and basketball the last 50 years. Other people have said that and I either chose not to argue with them at the time or did and you just don't remember.

I clearly remember UMn winning the Big Ten BB Title in 1972 and I remember the Gopher Baseball team making the CWS in 1973 with a superstar named Dave Winfield who then got drafted into all 3 major league sports after he graduated as he was also on that 72 Big Ten winning BB team and the NFL team that drafted him did so purely on his athletic potential alone. It was their 4th trip to the CWS in 18 years, with the first 3 trips resulting in Natl Titles. I remember the hockey team making 3 straight Championship Games winning in 74 and 76. I remember arguably the bb team's best lineup ever in 1977 beating the eventual Champs Marquette in 1977, and then the FB team beating #1 ranked Michigan in 1977, and then the Hockey team won another title in 79 followed by the Olympic team being filled up mostly with Minnesotans and former Gopher and performing the MIRACLE ON ICE, and then the BB team winning another Big Ten Title in the early 80s with Randy Breuer, a guy I saw play in the Mn State High School Championship game I attended. I remember our being able to draw Lou Holtz to come coach the fb team and our winning a bowl game in his 2nd season before he left for his dream job, Notre Dame, he took a couple future All-Americans with him when he left. I remember following the Gopher BB team during a very bad year in 1988 but believing in their potential. 87 was the coaches first year, he brought in a huge class of freshmen, so they were young and did very badly winning only 2 conf games that year, but in 88, despite only winning 4 conference games, they were mostly Sophs, and so many of their losses were close losses. I was living in Germany at the time and remember asking a hat and t-shirt salesman if he could special order a Gopher hat for me. He thought like you do, that UMn was totally irrelevant and he expressed his surprise that I wanted a Gopher Hat as no one had ever asked for one, and I told him that they'd be a very good team in 1989, and later that season, when I went to pick up my hat, they had recently beaten #1 ranked Illinois and he was thrilled about how well they were doing and said he followed them just because of me and my telling him they'd be good. They ended up making a run to the Sweet 16 and the following season came up just a last second miss away from going to the Final Four. They won the NIT in 1993, came up just shy of making the NCAA tourney in 1996, but more than made up for it by winning the Big Ten Title and getting to the Final Four in 1997. They won the NIT again in 1998 and were on route to a decent run in the 1999 NCAA tourney when the whole Clemgate or whatever you want to call it hit. UMn ranked TOP TEN all-time in producing NBA players around this time. But for bb only fans it really sucked, but cfb fans were ok because Glen Mason turned us into a relevant team, relevant in that we were able to beat #2 ranked PSU in 1999, we beat Top 5 ranked Ohio St in 2000 before our best DB went down for the season with injury. We won 10 games in 2003, the year after UMn won 3 Natl Titles in Wr, Men's hockey and Men's Golf. That fb team won those 10 games while breaking NCAA rushing records. That title for the Wr team was their 2nd in a row, the 1st won in 2002 they won by being the first team in all of NCAA wrestling history to end up with All-American wrestlers at each of the 10 weight classes. And later that 2003-04 season the Men's hockey team also won their 2nd title in a row and the Women's BB team made the Final Four. Highly ranked Michigan had to make an NCAA record breaking come back to beat the Gopher fb team that year. It was the 2nd time we came just a fg away from finishing in a tie for the Big Ten title, but the loss to Michigan was the first of 2 huge comebacks Mason allowed with the 2nd one costing him his job. The women's hockey team followed the Men's Back 2 Back titles with their own Back 2 Back titles in 04 and 05, and the wrestling team won their 3rd title in 2007. Then after a horrible coaching hire to replace Mason, Jerry Kill came along, and one poll of cfb coaches had Kill come in as the #2 choice of coaches the cfb coaches of the country said they would want their sons to play for if they couldn't play for themselves. Saban came in #1 of course. Kill was turning us into a contender until he suffered health issues that caused him to step down, and his interim replacement was a dumbass but we got lucky and landed Fleck. The Women's hockey team was wrapping up their 4th Natl Title in 5 straight trips to the Title game, the one season they went undefeated and broke the NCAA winning streak, and got all 3 finalists spots in the Player of the Year Award that year, first time in history that ever happened. Not long after that several former Gophers helped the Women's Olympic hockey team win just their 2nd Gold Medal ever!

Oh, btw, in 2003 I remember seeing UMn listed as one of the Top Ten sports schools in the country. And since the start of the Sears Directors Cup, UMn ranks among the Top 25 colleges of all-time in Sears Directors Cup finishes. On more than one occasion UMn was ranked as high as #2 in the Directors Cup standing at the end of the Winter season, behind only Stanford who always wins the thing.

And that is just all of the team stuff I remember off the top of my head.

I remember the year there were 6 former Gophers playing in the Super Bowl, 3 on the winning team and 3 on the losing team. Former Gophers had earned 6 Super Bowl rings in just the first 5 Super Bowls. I remember former Gophers winning Super Bowl Rings in 5 straight Super Bowls, #s 22 thru 26. I remember former Gopher Bud Grant leading the Vikings to a record # of Div Titles and to 3 of his 4 Super Bowls in the 70s. I remember my dad telling me about the 1st Super Bowl while we were watching the 2nd one the Vikes got to. I remember watching Neal Broten playing in the NHL, and I remember watching former Gophers Kevin McHale and Mychal Thompson playing against each other in arguably the NBAs greatest rivalry of all-time. I remember watching Paul Molitor during his 39 game hitting steak and another former Gopher winning the All-Star Game MVP Award, and then I remember watching both Molitor and Winfield getting their 3000th hits. Then I remember watching Willie Burton score over 50 pts in an NBA game and Trent Tucker winning a Title with the Bulls. I remember a Gopher winning the Natl Title in Golf. And yes I follow the NCAA Golf Championships as I golfed growing up, and played a round with former Gopher and #1 in the world in 1996 Tom Lehman.

So sure, we went through periods of irrelevancy in both cbb and cfb, the last 50 years, but rarely at the same time, so between the two of them, we were basically relevant the entire 50 years, to one degree or another and the few times neither were, the hockey team did a great job of filling in and/or former gophers who were killing it in the Pros, for the best teams out there, of course.

And the whole time, former UMners were helping to turn the Twin Cities into a thriving metropolis and were helping to transform the world we live in, in ways you can't even imagine.

And no matter how irrelevant we may have been or for how long, nothing will EVER change the fact that we have a GLORIOUS History that dwarfs anything WVU has come even close to doing.

UMn has 7 cfb Natl Titles to WVU's ZERO.
UMn has 7 Pro Fb HOFers to WVU's 2.
UMn has 18 cfb HOF players to WVU's 6?
UMn has 5 former cfb players who made it into the cfb HOF as coaches to WVU's ??
UMn has produced THE MOST NFL High Point Scorers, 4 players with 10 seasons as the high point scorer in the NFL.
UMn has produced THE MOST NFL All-Decade Team members. 8 players 10 appearances.
UMn has 40-50 NBA players to WVU's 16?
UMn has 4 Naismith HOFers to WVU's 1?
UMn has 3 cbb Natl Titles to WVU's 1.
UMn has THE MOST chk POYs.
UMn has THE MOST US Hk HOFers.
UMn has 3, which is THE MOST Hk HOFers of any American college.
UMn has produced THE MOST US Olympic Hk players, twice as many as everyone else cept BU.
UMn has produced THE MOST US Olympic Hk Gold Medal winners and it's not even close.
UMn has THE MOST wins in chk NCAA tourney history.
UMn has produced THE MOST NHL players.
UMn has 3 cBb Natl Titles, the most of any northern program, to WVU's 0.
UMn has produced 2 MLB HOFers, and 3000+ hitters.
UMn has 3 cWr Natl Titles, the 6th most, and 8 Natl Duals Titles to WVU's 0.
UMn has 1 cGlf Natl Title, and 2 Individual Natl Titleists to WVU's 0.
UMn has 1 T&F Natl Title to WVU's 0.
UMn has 7 W's Hk Natl Titles to WVU's 0. And yeah, I know you don't have hockey. But WVU has ZERO women's titles in any sport.
UMn has 19 W's Dance Team Natl Titles to WVU's 0.

But WVU has way more Coed Rifle Natl Titles than UMn. I'll give you this one!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I read your first paragraph. You did stat MinnyU has been irrelevant the last 50 years. Shall I quote you on that?

I’m not reading the rest of this shit lol. But I think I can see who is getting trolled here.