• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Homecoming for Hamilton and the BoSox are in town

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Angels for giving us Josh Hamilton.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a awesome story about Banister and Chi Chi and Ortiz from the Newberg Report. I will quote the report in its entirety below.

He was getting ready to hand me the ball.

I said: “No. You need to wait.

“Listen to the noise, the crowd. That’s for you. It’s getting ready to get real loud.

“Don’t ever forget this.”

And with that, Jeff Banister took his hands off of Chi Chi Gonzalez’s shoulders, and pointed demonstratively toward right center, as if to say: “This young man has put this baseball game in your hands, Bullpen. Your turn. Come get the torch."

No, wait. Listen. Never forget this.

Banny, of all people, understands.

“It meant a lot,” the pitcher said. “He kind of slowed it down for me. I saw the manager coming in and was going to give him the ball and go, but he slowed me down and made me enjoy what was happening.”

The hands on the shoulders got me off my couch. The intent look in Chi Chi’s eyes, with the brims of his and his manager’s caps basically touching, choked me up. For some reason, Banister’s point to the bullpen gave me stinkin’ chills.

Twenty-four hours after Jon Daniels told local reporters that the start he was bringing Gonzalez up to make on Saturday was not a one-and-done assignment — “It’s his spot to lose,” Daniels said — Gonzalez took a no-hitter into the sixth inning, working the edges of the zone all night, pitching inside, keeping the ball on the ground, puzzling Boston hitters with late life on everything he showed them.

Gonzalez’s five-plus before permitting a base hit was the deepest in a career debut for a Rangers pitcher since Roger Pavlik, who went 5.1 hitless on May 2, 1992.

When Gonzalez was three months old.

Texas 8, Boston 0 was the Rangers’ first shutout of the season — they came into the game as the last team in baseball without one — and their first since beating Seattle, 1-0, last September 7, which was Tim Bogar’s first win as Rangers’ manager. It came less than two years after Gonzalez was drafted 23rd overall, on a night when the Rangers had figured he’d be snapped up well before their slot came up.

That was on June 6, 2013.

On May 30, 2015, seconds after David Ortiz broke up Gonzalez’s no-hitter and stood on second base: “[Ortiz] looked at me and I looked at him and he gave me a little clap, and a head nod, which was awesome. Just giving me respect, which I didn’t think — I’m a new guy, a rookie. It was awesome.”

Mm-hmm.

Minutes later, after his moment on the mound with Banister and his walk toward 20 teammates standing in the dugout, along with nearly 43,000 in the stadium, more than any time this year aside from Opening Day, in a game televised to a national audience: “I wasn’t expecting the loudness of it. But it was awesome having the support of Rangers Nation. It was awesome having them scream for me and support me even though I’m the new guy. It just made me feel at home. I want to be here and stay here.”

Deal.

It’s Chi Chi’s spot to lose.

He listened, and gave us a baseball moment we won’t forget.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for the game when josh goes 4-4 against them with a three run Jack.
This has the makings to be the biggest front office debacle since the Vikings traded for Hershel Walker.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a awesome story about Banister and Chi Chi and Ortiz from the Newberg Report. I will quote the report in its entirety below.

“Listen to the noise, the crowd. That’s for you. It’s getting ready to get real loud.

And with that, Jeff Banister took his hands off of Chi Chi Gonzalez’s shoulders, and pointed demonstratively toward right center, as if to say: “This young man has put this baseball game in your hands, Bullpen. Your turn. Come get the torch."

“It meant a lot,” the pitcher said. “He kind of slowed it down for me. I saw the manager coming in and was going to give him the ball and go, but he slowed me down and made me enjoy what was happening.”

The hands on the shoulders got me off my couch. The intent look in Chi Chi’s eyes, with the brims of his and his manager’s caps basically touching, choked me up. For some reason, Banister’s point to the bullpen gave me stinkin’ chills.

Twenty-four hours after Jon Daniels told local reporters that the start he was bringing Gonzalez up to make on Saturday was not a one-and-done assignment — “It’s his spot to lose,” Daniels said — Gonzalez took a no-hitter into the sixth inning, working the edges of the zone all night, pitching inside, keeping the ball on the ground, puzzling Boston hitters with late life on everything he showed them.

Gonzalez’s five-plus before permitting a base hit was the deepest in a career debut for a Rangers pitcher since Roger Pavlik, who went 5.1 hitless on May 2, 1992.

Texas 8, Boston 0 was the Rangers’ first shutout of the season — they came into the game as the last team in baseball without one — and their first since beating Seattle, 1-0, last September 7, which was Tim Bogar’s first win as Rangers’ manager. It came less than two years after Gonzalez was drafted 23rd overall, on a night when the Rangers had figured he’d be snapped up well before their slot came up.

On May 30, 2015, seconds after David Ortiz broke up Gonzalez’s no-hitter and stood on second base: “[Ortiz] looked at me and I looked at him and he gave me a little clap, and a head nod, which was awesome. Just giving me respect, which I didn’t think — I’m a new guy, a rookie. It was awesome.”

Mm-hmm.

Minutes later, after his moment on the mound with Banister and his walk toward 20 teammates standing in the dugout, along with nearly 43,000 in the stadium, more than any time this year aside from Opening Day, in a game televised to a national audience: “I wasn’t expecting the loudness of it. But it was awesome having the support of Rangers Nation. It was awesome having them scream for me and support me even though I’m the new guy. It just made me feel at home. I want to be here and stay here.”

Deal.

Good story, Bennie. Can't wait for his next start.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mm-hmm.

Deal.

Man, that's a hell of a story.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has the makings to be the biggest front office debacle since the Vikings traded for Hershel Walker.

I questioned whether Josh had anything left in the tank, but after watching him this series, he's got plenty in the tank. I was really surprised to see the bat speed was just as it had always been. I don't think Hamilton ever puts up MVP numbers again, but I do think he'll be a scary MOTB if he can keep his head right. And the Angels will be paying for it.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Thompson today:

8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO

This kid is starting to stack good games together. He might be promoted soon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two notes from the Frisco game. Jake Thompson had a great game. 8 innings, 6 hits, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts and only 1 run given up.

Gallo was not in the lineup for Frisco today. Game time was 4:05 which was after the Beltre injury I believe. It may not mean one thing, but it sure does add to the drama. Williams, Alfaro and Mazara all played.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Thompson today:

8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO

This kid is starting to stack good games together. He might be promoted soon.
Yes, he has. You got that up while I was writing my post. HaHa.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two notes from the Frisco game. Jake Thompson had a great game. 8 innings, 6 hits, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts and only 1 run given up.

Gallo was not in the lineup for Frisco today. Game time was 4:05 which was after the Beltre injury I believe. It may not mean one thing, but it sure does add to the drama. Williams, Alfaro and Mazara all played.

The game was televised last night and Gallo hit mammoth HR to right.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like you said, could mean everything or nothing. I'm betting we'll know within 24 hours.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, could mean everything or nothing. I'm betting we'll know within 24 hours.
Yeah, tomorrow's off day will be decision day. Banister said as much in his postgame interview on radio.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That great last half inning is about to be played out again on FoxSW.