• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hendrickson requests trade

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through Hobs article and I think he's just ready to play. That could mean he has a deal or it could mean that he doesn't. Not sure if roster bonuses are in his deal. Remember his first offseason with the club he did not participate in voluntary workouts.... He chose to spend time with his woman who was finishing her degree. I see this as a clear sign that he is ready, willing and able to go this year. We'll see if the Bengals throw some guarantees at him when the season starts.
The way I see it. The Bengals will not cut him, they want him to be a Bengal whether he is active or hurt over his next two years. So if that is t he case, isn't the contract really 100% guaranteed if the Bengals will not cut him? Or am I thinking of this wrong?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it. The Bengals will not cut him, they want him to be a Bengal whether he is active or hurt over his next two years. So if that is t he case, isn't the contract really 100% guaranteed if the Bengals will not cut him? Or am I thinking of this wrong?
I mean - yes. If the Bengals are not cutting him - then he's "guaranteed" to see the full amount...even though it's not technically guaranteed (because they COULD cut him).

I think the issue here is, Trey has played very well, wanted to cash in on the market AND extend the contract to give him some additional guaranteed years (not so much guaranteed money overall, but knowing he'd likely see at least 3-4 more years in Cincy running concurrently with the deal he just signed last year).

In the end - Trey has very little leverage this year. The best thing he can do is show up, work hard, ball out this year and re-evaluate next year - where if he sits out for X amount of games, he's still going to get a pretty solid deal (assuming another good year this year). Sitting out this year for any number of games in both years is not going to garner the contract he wants, IMO. So, he's stuck for better, or worse, at least for this year.

Might as well put on a happy face and do the best you can do and, hopefully, get paid for it one way or the other.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How dumb would the Bengals have to be to not keep this guy.

Imagine having the best young QB-WR duo in the league and not paying your pass rushers.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How dumb would the Bengals have to be to not keep this guy.

Imagine having the best young QB-WR duo in the league and not paying your pass rushers.
Bengals have had a pretty hard line MO on extending guys into their 30's.

They tend to avoid the high salary demands, and aging players playing on past performance - and reinvesting into younger guys and paying those guys both from the draft in 2nd contracts, and via F/A. It's a formula that has, largely, worked well for them thus far. More hits than misses...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals have had a pretty hard line MO on extending guys into their 30's.

They tend to avoid the high salary demands, and aging players playing on past performance - and reinvesting into younger guys and paying those guys both from the draft in 2nd contracts, and via F/A. It's a formula that has, largely, worked well for them thus far. More hits than misses...
Need to capitalize now on the QB. Trey has only been in the league 7 years and is only 29. Not 35. He's right in his prime. Right when he should be getting paid big bucks on a contender that can throw the football.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to capitalize now on the QB. Trey has only been in the league 7 years and is only 29. Not 35. He's right in his prime. Right when he should be getting paid big bucks on a contender that can throw the football.
He's under contract for this year and next. Bengals are not going to extend him into his mid 30's. Just not how they've done their re-signings. Just look at Reader. They didn't even really try to keep him. They could have easily matched Detroit's offer, or beaten it.

Not saying I agree, or disagree, with the approach. Just pointing out that by the time Hendrickson is due for another contract - he's going to be in that range where the Bengals usually don't negotiate much, if at all.

Hendrickson should have tried to get a 3rd year added to his negotiations last year...instead, he signed an extension that takes him through 2025, and into the nebulous area of his 30's (for the Bengals). We'll see how it plays out. I get what the Bengals are doing, but I also think if Trey has another monster year, you have to consider at least 2 more years and give him some good up front cash.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's under contract for this year and next. Bengals are not going to extend him into his mid 30's. Just not how they've done their re-signings. Just look at Reader. They didn't even really try to keep him. They could have easily matched Detroit's offer, or beaten it.

Not saying I agree, or disagree, with the approach. Just pointing out that by the time Hendrickson is due for another contract - he's going to be in that range where the Bengals usually don't negotiate much, if at all.

Hendrickson should have tried to get a 3rd year added to his negotiations last year...instead, he signed an extension that takes him through 2025, and into the nebulous area of his 30's (for the Bengals). We'll see how it plays out. I get what the Bengals are doing, but I also think if Trey has another monster year, you have to consider at least 2 more years and give him some good up front cash.
Keeping in mind that Read is coming off a second pretty major injury and he is a heavy dude, so different scenario between Hendrickson and Reader, but I get what you are saying and the Bengals are doing. I agree, if Hendrickson has another monster year, you just take the chance for a guy as productive and awesome as him. Try to give him $25 million a year over 2 years as an add on, and make a damn big chunk of that guaranteed with bonus.

Hendrickson is the best FA signing in the history of this franchise. He continues to be produce and be a leader. He is one of the few guys I think the Bengals should ignore their policy on.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping in mind that Read is coming off a second pretty major injury and he is a heavy dude, so different scenario between Hendrickson and Reader, but I get what you are saying and the Bengals are doing. I agree, if Hendrickson has another monster year, you just take the chance for a guy as productive and awesome as him. Try to give him $25 million a year over 2 years as an add on, and make a damn big chunk of that guaranteed with bonus.

Hendrickson is the best FA signing in the history of this franchise. He continues to be produce and be a leader. He is one of the few guys I think the Bengals should ignore their policy on.
Don't disagree, but Bell, Bates, Reader (even if injury concerns) - all hit around that mark, and the Bengals moved on.

Hendrickson doesn't have major injury concerns, but he does get hurt quite a bit - so while there isn't the same history as Reader - there is some history there...and as good as Trey is - if he loses a step, I'd be concerned with how effective he can be.

Trey turns 30 this year. Meaning he'll be 31 at the end of this current deal. Bengals may offer him something in the range of 2 years...taking him through age 33...but I don't see them going any deeper than that. Just not how they tend to run things.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree, but Bell, Bates, Reader (even if injury concerns) - all hit around that mark, and the Bengals moved on.

Hendrickson doesn't have major injury concerns, but he does get hurt quite a bit - so while there isn't the same history as Reader - there is some history there...and as good as Trey is - if he loses a step, I'd be concerned with how effective he can be.

Trey turns 30 this year. Meaning he'll be 31 at the end of this current deal. Bengals may offer him something in the range of 2 years...taking him through age 33...but I don't see them going any deeper than that. Just not how they tend to run things.
I think that would be reasonable.

Bates was a different animal, he was only 25-26 years old.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be reasonable.

Bates was a different animal, he was only 25-26 years old.
True - and the Safety market was going wild...the Bengals made the right move, IMO - because now that ride seems to be coming back down to normal ranges.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True - and the Safety market was going wild...the Bengals made the right move, IMO - because now that ride seems to be coming back down to normal ranges.
Not sure what normal ranges mean. Winfield just signed a record breaking deal for safeties in the last couple weeks.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what normal ranges mean. Winfield just signed a record breaking deal for safeties in the last couple weeks.
I meant more towards: Lots of safeties were recently release, and have been on the market or stay on the market longer than expected. Not quite getting the contracts they were expecting.

The top tier will still likely get theirs, but the craze run on Safeties has calmed down some.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant more towards: Lots of safeties were recently release, and have been on the market or stay on the market longer than expected. Not quite getting the contracts they were expecting.

The top tier will still likely get theirs, but the craze run on Safeties has calmed down some.
I can agree with that.