• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hal Smith R.I.P.

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that Hal Smith passed away a few days ago. He was not the same Hal Smith who played for the Pirates in 1960-1961. That Hal Smith will live forever in Pirate history for hitting a three-run homer in the
8th inning of the 7th game of the 1960 World Series. Pirate fans thought they had the game won, but the Yankees stormed back and tied it in the 9th, which set the stage for Bill Mazeroski's Series-winning homer in the bottom of the 9th. I believe that Hal Smith is still around.

The other Hal Smith (the one who died recently) played for the Cardinals in the late 50s and early 60s. I think he had heart problems which cut his career short. He later coached for the Pirates, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was occasionally mistaken for the other Hal Smith by Pirate fans.

I used to get the two mixed up until I started collecting baseball cards in the early 60s. Wish I still had those cards -- they'd be worth a pretty penny today -- but I gave them all away in 1966 to a handicapped kid who lived down the street. He's probably a wealthy man today.................