• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gibson waived

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brooks at one point was considered a first round pick in College. He was looked at highly from my perspective. Gibson, not so much.

I worry about Brooks' consistency. He's flashed. He has the physical talent to be a great OLB. At this point, he's almost certainly our best guy in coverage. He's got pass rush ability. And given his history at MLB, he should play the run pretty well (granted he'll be asked to set the edge rather than attack downhill). He's just never put it together. I'd love to believe he will this year, and maybe he has under the new coaching staff, but I'm reluctant to put all that much faith in him.

Now, having said all that, we probably only keep four OLBs. Brooks, Haralson, and Smith are pretty much locks, and Applewhite was apparently outplaying Gibson. Part of me wishes we could have kept Gibson, but I'm not devastated.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I worry about Brooks' consistency. He's flashed. He has the physical talent to be a great OLB. At this point, he's almost certainly our best guy in coverage. He's got pass rush ability. And given his history at MLB, he should play the run pretty well (granted he'll be asked to set the edge rather than attack downhill). He's just never put it together. I'd love to believe he will this year, and maybe he has under the new coaching staff, but I'm reluctant to put all that much faith in him.

Now, having said all that, we probably only keep four OLBs. Brooks, Haralson, and Smith are pretty much locks, and Applewhite was apparently outplaying Gibson. Part of me wishes we could have kept Gibson, but I'm not devastated.

It's hard to judge Brooks based on last year's performance. He suffered a lacerated kidney during the pre-season and it could have affected his play all year.

As for Haralson being a lock, I would not hold my breath on it. Especially after getting schooled repeatedly by a Rookie guard during drills

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's hard to judge Brooks based on last year's performance. He suffered a lacerated kidney during the pre-season and it could have affected his play all year.

As for Haralson being a lock, I would not hold my breath on it. Especially after getting schooled repeatedly by a Rookie guard during drills

I think he's a lock for the roster, at least at this point. He's probably our best OLB against the run right now, and he's a leader. He might be threatened at some point, and he's certainly on notice regarding his starting spot, but I don't see him losing a roster spot entirely at this point.

I had forgotten Brooks' kidney. That's a fair point. Nonetheless, he's never put together a consistent season.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he's a lock for the roster, at least at this point. He's probably our best OLB against the run right now, and he's a leader. He might be threatened at some point, and he's certainly on notice regarding his starting spot, but I don't see him losing a roster spot entirely at this point.

I had forgotten Brooks' kidney. That's a fair point. Nonetheless, he's never put together a consistent season.

I hear you but you have to remember that Brooks coming out of college played the ILB position. The Niners' picked him up on waivers when the Bengals cut him in 2008 and switch him to OLB position in the 2009 season. So in actuality, this will only be his 3rd year playing OLB and last year he had that kidney injury. It remains to be seen what he can do at the position