• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Injury Discussion

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should just rest Samardzija for the rest of the year. We are done for the season. Time to make some trades if we can. Well, way past time really.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically Posey will possibly represent the reference point for future catchers dealing with hip surgeries because there's no relevant data otherwise. Also, Cal may get his wish that the Giants trade Belt. And finally, Bart really needs to fly through the minors.
Rushing Bart scares me. I would rather sign a legit starting catcher to a 1 or 2 year deal and let Bart progress at his own pace.

And I only want to trade to Belt if we get solid value in return. I fear that will be hard to do right now.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically Posey will possibly represent the reference point for future catchers dealing with hip surgeries because there's no relevant data otherwise. Also, Cal may get his wish that the Giants trade Belt. And finally, Bart really needs to fly through the minors.

I can't see them trading Belt this year. Maybe next, if Bart fast tracks.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't see them trading Belt this year. Maybe next, if Bart fast tracks.

I agree with tzill, I don't think Belt gets traded this offseason. His trade value is down. Plus, as the article points out, moving Posey to 1st base robs the team of an elite defensive catcher. I would think the Giants will do everything they can to get at least one more year from Posey as a catcher. However, if it seems apparent that the only way to keep him on the field is at 1st base, then they will probably either try the Belt in left field experiment again or look at flipping him for someone else (maybe a short term catcher, maybe prospects if Belt rebounds with a strong 2019). The timeline of when that the latter happens will be probably be determined by how healthy Posey is and how soon Bart is ready.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with tzill, I don't think Belt gets traded this offseason. His trade value is down. Plus, as the article points out, moving Posey to 1st base robs the team of an elite defensive catcher. I would think the Giants will do everything they can to get at least one more year from Posey as a catcher. However, if it seems apparent that the only way to keep him on the field is at 1st base, then they will probably either try the Belt in left field experiment again or look at flipping him for someone else (maybe a short term catcher, maybe prospects if Belt rebounds with a strong 2019). The timeline of when that the latter happens will be probably be determined by how healthy Posey is and how soon Bart is ready.

I'm just basing this assumption on the potential that Posey may have to play much more 1st base in the future.

But yeah moving Posey to 1st you not only lose an elite defensive catcher, but an elite defensive first baseman.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just basing this assumption on the potential that Posey may have to play much more 1st base in the future.

But yeah moving Posey to 1st you not only lose an elite defensive catcher, but an elite defensive first baseman.
I think we've all known for years that it was just a matter of when he would move from catcher to 1st base. This surgery may be a big marker as to how close we are getting to when.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little insight into Mac's concussion, from the perspective of his girlfriend. This is honestly a pretty gut-wrenching read. It also makes you wonder how NFL players function

DEALING WITH MAC’S CONCUSSION
Sounds pretty certain that he won't be back this season. I have to wonder if his career with the Giants is done.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds pretty certain that he won't be back this season. I have to wonder if his career with the Giants is done.
I doubt it. At least not by the Giants choice (and they are the only ones with a say). I think he goes into ‘19 as the penciled in starter in RF.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. At least not by the Giants choice (and they are the only ones with a say). I think he goes into ‘19 as the penciled in starter in RF.
I hope so but I can see the Giants bringing in a couple of outfielders this off season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so but I can see the Giants bringing in a couple of outfielders this off season.
That is possible, but I think they will give him a legit shot. His season was derailed by a pretty vicious injury. And he was showing game-changing ability before (and imediately after) the injury.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think we've seen the last of him as a Giant. He's out of options next year, but will be given a pretty good shot at making the final roster. Maybe not quite a starting gig, but definitely a bench bat.