• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Injury Discussion

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Mac was alright. He continued his BP session without coming out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good news, Mac Williamson is starting his rehab assignment in Sacramento. Hopefully he doesn't need long.

Also Bumgarner's first start will be next Saturday, the 26th.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good news, Mac Williamson is starting his rehab assignment in Sacramento. Hopefully he doesn't need long.

Also Bumgarner's first start will be next Saturday, the 26th.
That means the clock is ticking on both Pence and Williamson for the Giants to make decisions. Pence has 14 days left and Williamson 20 days before activation is required. One of them will be on the big league roster soon and the other may get optioned back to Sacramento. I just cannot see the Giants getting rid of any of their veteran outfielders even when I can think of 4 of them who are expendable.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That means the clock is ticking on both Pence and Williamson for the Giants to make decisions. Pence has 14 days left and Williamson 20 days before activation is required. One of them will be on the big league roster soon and the other may get optioned back to Sacramento. I just cannot see the Giants getting rid of any of their veteran outfielders even when I can think of 4 of them who are expendable.

The general feeling I'm getting is Mac will be back ASAP, and the Giants are doing everything they can to keep Pence in Sacramento for awhile, including potentially using an option.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general feeling I'm getting is Mac will be back ASAP, and the Giants are doing everything they can to keep Pence in Sacramento for awhile, including potentially using an option.
I don't know, from what little is in this article, I think that Pence will be brought up in 5 to 10 days - Giants injury updates: Pence, Bumgarner, Panik. The numbers suggest he's getting some singles and walking a bit more but not much in the power department yet. I find it interesting that he's doing what his potential replacement has done, working with Justin Turner's personal hitting coach.

It looks like Pence has two options left but the team would have to get Pence's consent to option him. Would Pence even be okay with that?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, from what little is in this article, I think that Pence will be brought up in 5 to 10 days - Giants injury updates: Pence, Bumgarner, Panik. The numbers suggest he's getting some singles and walking a bit more but not much in the power department yet. I find it interesting that he's doing what his potential replacement has done, working with Justin Turner's personal hitting coach.

It looks like Pence has two options left but the team would have to get Pence's consent to option him. Would Pence even be okay with that?
If they need his consent, what does it matter that he has options? If he didn’t have any options, he could still accept an assignment.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they need his consent, what does it matter that he has options? If he didn’t have any options, he could still accept an assignment.
The difference would be whether or not he was on the 40 man roster. An outright assignment would take him off. An option would keep him on. In Pence's case, if he refuses the option the team has to keep him active. If he refuses an outright assignment, he can choose free agency right away.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference would be whether or not he was on the 40 man roster. An outright assignment would take him off. An option would keep him on. In Pence's case, if he refuses the option the team has to keep him active. If he refuses an outright assignment, he can choose free agency right away.
Ok, nice distinction. Thanks.

But if he has a good relationship with the org (I don’t think there is any reason to think he doesn’t) I am still not sure it makes a difference. An outright or an assignment end up doing the same thing except one give the org more flexibility. Maybe he would be more willing to “play along” knowing he were still on the 40 since it ours be easier for the org to call him up. But he were outrighted, he would be able to walk away if he wanted.

I am not advocating for one over the other. Just spitballing some potential issues either way.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, nice distinction. Thanks.

But if he has a good relationship with the org (I don’t think there is any reason to think he doesn’t) I am still not sure it makes a difference. An outright or an assignment end up doing the same thing except one give the org more flexibility. Maybe he would be more willing to “play along” knowing he were still on the 40 since it ours be easier for the org to call him up. But he were outrighted, he would be able to walk away if he wanted.

I am not advocating for one over the other. Just spitballing some potential issues either way.
I would think an option would make him more comfortable. He's still on the 40 man roster so its easier for the team to call him back up. If he's bumped off the 40 man roster, the team would need to remove someone else to bring him back. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference to the FO but it could make a player more insecure and, therefore, less likely to either agree to an outright assignment or decide to walk away from the org.

By the way, the player has about 5 days to decide whether to accept an outright assignment or choose free agency right away. If Pence is outrighted and accepts the assignment, he is stuck with the org until the end of the season or they decide to release him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point about the FA aspect of the outright. Although, if Pence wanted to walk, I am sure the Giants would accommodate him. It isn’t like they have a huge asset they are trying to protect at this point.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point about the FA aspect of the outright. Although, if Pence wanted to walk, I am sure the Giants would accommodate him. It isn’t like they have a huge asset they are trying to protect at this point.
Well, they probably want to tread lightly as you and others have pointed out, they work hard to cultivate good relationships with long time players. I would think Pence would only walk if it was obvious the Giants wanted to send him to the minors and he felt he had a better chance of playing in the bigs for another club.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good news and some bad news:
I am not sure I believe that. Mac is only rehabbing in order to get his timing back. If he has a big weekend, I can see him back sooner rather than later.

Maybe look at Wednesday as a big shuffle day? DFA Valdez and one of the trips (or DL a trip)? Add Mac and DRod?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tweet was before Mac went yard last night.
Our FO has a well established history of doing such nonsense. While I hope the plan changes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Williamson at AAA for another week. That makes things more interesting because Pence will be just one week from forcing the Giants to make a decision on him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif