• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: GDT: Tuesday Night, Devils/Columbus

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh hey, just realized this is a division game now. No kidding?!

Keys to the Game:

New Jersey Devils:

- Get more shots. The Devils were very efficient with their scoring against Henrik and Co. Today PDB said, all things considered, he'd rather have the offensive effort they showed in Ottawa.
- CORY IS STARTING AGAIN. So it begins. Despite the Devils shit start Cory's stat-line is shocking after last night's SO: 1.99 GAA, .927 SV%. He deserves to start.
- Adam Larsson, anyone starting to get scared yet? I am. :L
- Tedenby, JJ: Both have gotten into the lineup. Both have been playing pretty well defensively (Tedenby has a nice recovery after getting torn apart in OTT, but we'll chalk that up to rust), with the exception of one major mistake by JJ last night, but a good cover by Zubrus (hell of a game against the Rangers) bailed them out, and JJ made a good effort to stop the second Rangers chance on the play. Keep going kids!
- Brunner looks like he might be healthy, we'll see if he returns. He's been a bit inconsistent.
-Elias should be back. It's actually not FLU, it's food poisoning. From an 100% reliable source. Be surprised if he wasn't back in the lineup.

Columbus Blue Jackets:

- They're playing as I write this against VAN. 1-1 time winding down in the 2nd period.
- If they win, they'll have 6 points and be one ahead of the Devils.
- If they lose, they'll have lost 5 straight.
- Bobrovsky is the defending Vezina winner and CBJ have let in the second fewest goals in the Metro Division. This looks like a low scoring affair. This means the Devils CANNOT make mistakes. One or two bad ones will cost them the game most likely. Let's build off the effort we saw against the Rangers.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Adam Larsson, anyone starting to get scared yet? I am.

I've been since his rookie campaign.... given him the courtesy since it was his rookie year... but at this point, i'm still slow in seeing how and why he was considered top 4 pick...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I'm not the greatest with NHL prospects for the drafts, so I would always give to others who have more profound knowledge than I do.... I'll admit that first and foremost.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see talent but LOTS of indecision/lack of confidence etc.

Don't know if that's all him or whether PDB's handling has gotten to him.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and I'm not the greatest with NHL prospects for the drafts, so I would always give to others who have more profound knowledge than I do.... I'll admit that first and foremost.

Biggest problem I see is his speed. He's just not capable of hustling to cover up mistakes. That's not good. It seems like whenever he tries to get aggressive things go down hill. The scariest part though is what happens after this season? He's coming off his ELC and you see the deals other unproven young defensemen are getting. Huge term and huge dollars even for guys that have had rough starts like Adam.

I'm starting to realize that if he's not paired with a truly excellent skating defensemen, he's going to get hurt in this league. When was the last time you saw him able to skate the puck out of trouble? It always seems like he basically just gets to the puck tries to shake off the forechecker then get the puck to his partner. That's a recipe for disaster when it's your only option ATM. It's also the reason Peter Harold is getting into games. You can hate him all you want but he's quick and he can get the puck moving the other way. Adam even talked about how hard he worked on his skating all summer. I'm not seeing an improvement yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, I used to see him as completely untouchable regarding trades. Now I don't value him any higher than Merrill or Severson.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Adam is far from an untouchable asset for me...

Hell, I think Seth Jones is already killing it, no?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackets will be coming off a win so the Devils will need to be strong

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams just put an end to their losing streaks in a big way. I look forward to seeing this matchup.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh Adam is far from an untouchable asset for me...

Hell, I think Seth Jones is already killing it, no?

Yeah, but Seth Jones was always supposed to be a better player than Larsson. At least heading into the draft. I still can't believe Seth fell from 1 let alone to 4th.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Funny thing though, with the exception of the top 3 players (all fowards), everyone else from Adam's draft year has basically been nonexistent (at least in the 1st round). I mean a couple of guys have had ok starts besides the top 3. I guess Couturier, Hamilton has been a no show the second half of last year and this year. Zabinejad sent back to the minors.

2011 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Draft year might have been a dud. Who knows.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing though, with the exception of the top 3 players (all fowards), everyone else from Adam's draft year has basically been nonexistent (at least in the 1st round). I mean a couple of guys have had ok starts besides the top 3. I guess Couturier, Hamilton has been a no show the second half of last year and this year. Zabinejad sent back to the minors.

2011 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Draft year might have been a dud. Who knows.
It's still relatively early - it was only two years ago - in that draft, guys like Jonas Brodin have been great so far, and there are others like Ryan Murphy, Sven Bartschi, Boone Jenner, Brandon Saad, Matt Nieto and Andrew Shaw who have done well so far or at least looking like they'll do so

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's still relatively early - it was only two years ago - in that draft, guys like Jonas Brodin have been great so far, and there are others like Ryan Murphy, Sven Bartschi, Boone Jenner, Brandon Saad, Matt Nieto and Andrew Shaw who have done well so far or at least looking like they'll do so

I guess, but no one but Brandon Saad has really done anything on that list. I know Brodin had a good rookie campaign, but Adam Larsson played 25 minutes a night his first 2 months of the season too. He needs to get back to basics.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing about Larsson in the draft was his poise, ability to defend 1 on 1 and his passing, mainly his out of the zone breakout passes. It's absolutely a mental thing with him. If they'd stop fucking with him maybe he would be able to gain some confidence and start fulfilling his potential. He should not be a healthy scratch, I'm sorry.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Confidence seems to be the issue with Larsson.
Also, Nasty is right in what type of player the Devils were drafting.
sometimes, I think people think he should be a Niedermayer part 2. Not even close. He will never have the skating ability or talent that Niedermayer had. Few players do.
I remember they compared him to Lidstrom when they drafted him.

What they need to do is work with him. Not saying they aren't, but you almost need a Larry Robinson type of mentoring. I remember when Larsson scored a goal and Robinson was celebrating on the bench like crazy. Robinson believed in the kid.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, since I brought up Niedermayer, I clearly remember his first couple seasons. People thought he would be putting up Paul Coffey or Brian Leetch numbers right off the bat. That did not happen. I even remember when I went to games, people actually booed him. I don't think it was deserved, but he didn't exactly light things up his first few years.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing about Larsson in the draft was his poise, ability to defend 1 on 1 and his passing, mainly his out of the zone breakout passes. It's absolutely a mental thing with him. If they'd stop fucking with him maybe he would be able to gain some confidence and start fulfilling his potential. He should not be a healthy scratch, I'm sorry.
Agreed - they need to play him - and I think it might require Peter DeBoer getting fired - he seems to not like him for whatever reason

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
larrson has eli manning syndrome! looks stupid and uninterested in the play.

hell i remember the game in ottawa during the 3rd period i think they were doing a kiss cam or something on the jumbo-tron they were showing the devils on the bench while chico and steve were talking. larrson was the only one looking up and laughing. not that i blame him i find that stuff funny too but i'm not getting paid to play while losing the game and in a 7 game losing streak!

i also know that isn't a big deal but just makes me feel like he doesn't care. also the kid still looks like he is 15-18! put some weight on! this team really missed the boat with its swedes and finn's remember bergfors (maybe he was a swede too)

o and for the record i did not want to draft larrson that year

with losing a pick int he coming years they could've moved back in the draft and even out of the first round. i'm sure there were some teams interested in taking the best d man of that years draft

Last edited by a moderator: