• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They use cranes to carry actors when they show them flying through the air. You know this.

But what does a crane have to do with whether something is ex machina or not? You realize that the reason they use the phrase 'coming down' was that it was an easy out that playwrights used as far back as the Greeks, where a God or Goddess would come down from 'on high,' to save the day?

That Arya jumped would have absolutely NOTHING to do with whether it was ex machina or not.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they HAD dropped clues that Arya was going to be the one to do it, including Missendai's line about the gender pronoun being wrong in 'prince who was promised.'

Okay, but that's only one part of the whole Azoh Ahai prophecy. Changing the pronoun is one thing, but there's also all of the actual prophecy to consider.

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

Then there's something about the prince/princess's song is the Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm having a hard time seeing how any of that, much less all of that, could be referencing Arya.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a flashback of what she did, but she wasn't ex-Machina or Mary Sue at all.
Mary Sue? More like Hit Girl from Kickass with the regenerating powers of Wolverine. She's invincible at this point except she gets scared in libraries apparently.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, but that's only one part of the whole Azoh Ahai prophecy. Changing the pronoun is one thing, but there's also all of the actual prophecy to consider.

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

Then there's something about the prince/princess's song is the Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm having a hard time seeing how any of that, much less all of that, could be referencing Arya.

It's almost meta in the book the way that Tyrion and other characters reference how prophesies are written purposefully vague. I mean take Melisandre hereself. She mis-read the prophesy GIVEN TO HER PERSONALLY, that told her that Stannis was the Prince who was promised. She was obviously 100% wrong, and had those scenes where she had her own crisis of faith that she didn't know what the fuck she was doing. Hell in THIS LATEST EPISODE, you could read her face (assuming you could see anything), as she couldn't get the fire barriers lit, thinking 'oh shit, the Lord of Light has fooked me again!'

At any rate, there's a whole raft of prophesy in the books and show (the Frog's prediction about Cersei's future, Dany's etc etc), and all of it written incredibly vaguely.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what does a crane have to do with whether something is ex machina or not? You realize that the reason they use the phrase 'coming down' was that it was an easy out that playwrights used as far back as the Greeks, where a God or Goddess would come down from 'on high,' to save the day?

That Arya jumped would have absolutely NOTHING to do with whether it was ex machina or not.
Yes. I know. It’s how Paris was saved, etc, etc.

The point here is that a character flying in out of nowhere in slowmo to save the day seemingly magically past insurmountable odds at the last second is POOR writing, bad, art. It is tantamount to Deus ex machina.

The ‘god’ flew down on a machine back then. The actress flew in on a machine in this episode.

Last edited:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how the producers said in the post-show interview: Lyanna Mormont was supposed to be a one-scene character, and then the actress Fucking killed it, and they were all like: ummmm, we need to get this little badass some more screen time.
My favorite part of that first scene is when she calls Sansa "Lady Sandra"

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I know. It’s how Paris was saved, etc, etc.

The point here is that a character flying in out of nowhere in slowmo to save the day seemingly magically past insurmountable odds at the last second is POOR writing, bad, art. It is tantamount to Deus ex machina

Heh. Just because you keep repeating something over and over, doesn't mean that you're right, you get that, correct?

She didn't sneak past 'magically,' she trained for a whole arc of a season to sneak. She trained from Season fucking 1 in how to be silent.

THAT'S WHY it's not magical or unmotivated, because we SAW THE CHARACTER LEARN HOW TO DO IT!!!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why the fuck are you caught up with 'slow mo?'

Do you WATCH action movies?

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. Just because you keep repeating something over and over, doesn't mean that you're right, you get that, correct?

She didn't sneak past 'magically,' she trained for a whole arc of a season to sneak. She trained from Season fucking 1 in how to be silent.

THAT'S WHY it's not magical or unmotivated, because we SAW THE CHARACTER LEARN HOW TO DO IT!!!
THEY DIDNT SHOW IT. THIS IS A VISUAL MEDIUM. A FUCKING MOTION PICTURE. YOU NEED TO SHOW SHIT ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS THE GIFDAMED PIVOTAL THING, THE CLIMAX

please repeat the above over and over until you get it.

Leaving it up to “well, I guess she’s a sneaky sneak and sneaky sneaks do sneaky sneak things” in the audience member’s minds is POOR ART

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why the fuck are you caught up with 'slow mo?'

Do you WATCH action movies?
when the hero flies in out of nowhere in the last possible second overcoming seemingly impossible odds in slow mo... that’s a Vin Diesel flick, the action movie you’re referring to.

If you’re happy that this 8 season long story arc of magic and intrigue resolves itself that way, I can’t begin to help you

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when the hero flies in out of nowhere in the last possible second overcoming seemingly impossible odds in slow mo... that’s a Vin Diesel flick, the action movie you’re referring to.

If you’re happy that this 8 season long story arc of magic and intrigue resolves itself that way, I can’t begin to help you

I can see not liking it, but it is far from deus ex machina. The build up for that moment has been going on since at least season 3.

To me there is a lot in that episode not to like more than the execution of the final scene. I more object to having the battle tactics being nonsensical for the sole purpose of making them the underdogs to Cersei.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost meta in the book the way that Tyrion and other characters reference how prophesies are written purposefully vague. I mean take Melisandre hereself. She mis-read the prophesy GIVEN TO HER PERSONALLY, that told her that Stannis was the Prince who was promised. She was obviously 100% wrong, and had those scenes where she had her own crisis of faith that she didn't know what the fuck she was doing. Hell in THIS LATEST EPISODE, you could read her face (assuming you could see anything), as she couldn't get the fire barriers lit, thinking 'oh shit, the Lord of Light has fooked me again!'

At any rate, there's a whole raft of prophesy in the books and show (the Frog's prediction about Cersei's future, Dany's etc etc), and all of it written incredibly vaguely.

They’re vague, yes. Azoh Ahai could be Dany because she was “reborn” under the comet and brought the dragons back into the world, and was born on Dragonstone amist salt . It could be Jon because he is half Targ and half Stark. His song is the song of Ice and Fire. Mel thinks it’s Stannis because he was lord of dragonstone and is reborn as Azor Ahai during a ceremony under the comet on dragonstone.

But Arya? There’s no connection here. What’s the “bleeding star”? Catelyn Stark’s vagina? The salt and smoke? Was she born while Maester Lewin was smoking some elk jerky? The whole thing about dragons? Idk, maybe her sexual liberation when Gendry was “draggin’ his nutz on her was a sort of “rebirth”? She’s got the Ice covered I guess. But other than that it’s just the fact that Azor Ahai could be female. I’m really just not seeing it.

The Cersei valonqar one is also vague. She gets killed by the “little brother”. But it could be Jamie, Tyrion, the Hound, Euron, etc. They’re all “little brothers”. Arya would actually make more sense for this one if brother is also gender neutral in Valyrian.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. Not ON SCREEN. It’s THE pivotal moment, and it’s not ON SCREEN. It’s the equivalent of the pivotal moment in some dumb tv show being a guy ‘rerouting the encryptions’ somewhere off screen on some computer to keep the power plant from blowing up.

Show important pivotal things ON SCREEN. not just Arya Diesel flying in slow mo out of nowhere ftw

Arya Diesel cracked me up.
Also....what if there is a more in depth recounting of what went down there in next weeks episode? Always possible.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re vague, yes. Azoh Ahai could be Dany because she was “reborn” under the comet and brought the dragons back into the world, and was born on Dragonstone amist salt . It could be Jon because he is half Targ and half Stark. His song is the song of Ice and Fire. Mel thinks it’s Stannis because he was lord of dragonstone and is reborn as Azor Ahai during a ceremony under the comet on dragonstone.

But Arya? There’s no connection here. What’s the “bleeding star”? Catelyn Stark’s vagina? The salt and smoke? Was she born while Maester Lewin was smoking some elk jerky? The whole thing about dragons? Idk, maybe her sexual liberation when Gendry was “draggin’ his nutz on her was a sort of “rebirth”? She’s got the Ice covered I guess. But other than that it’s just the fact that Azor Ahai could be female. I’m really just not seeing it.

The Cersei valonqar one is also vague. She gets killed by the “little brother”. But it could be Jamie, Tyrion, the Hound, Euron, etc. They’re all “little brothers”. Arya would actually make more sense for this one if brother is also gender neutral in Valyrian.

Or if Arya is wearing Tyrion or Jamie's face while killing her.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I more object to having the battle tactics being nonsensical for the sole purpose of making them the underdogs to Cersei.

What? No other purpose?!?! What in thee sam hell are you talking about?

Clearly, they marched the entire Dothraki army headlong into certain death because Jon Snow (a white guy named after white stuff) hates brown people just like Donald Trump.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? No other purpose?!?! What in thee sam hell are you talking about?

Clearly, they marched the entire Dothraki army headlong into certain death because Jon Snow (a white guy named after white stuff) hates brown people just like Donald Trump.

South Park was the first show with this strategy, during the war with Canada.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, why would any northerner join in the fight against Cersei?
Hasn’t Arya had enough death? She’s with her family now.
Jon Snow already got rid of the NK. Is he going to kill half of Westeros because he bent the knee to Dany, even after he found out about his parentage?
Northern houses and wildlings don’t give a fuck about the South.
So, help me out here...