• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, certainly. Most it is perceived...and most of it goes over my head.

"oh...that person was supposed to represent God?" Dammit.

In my mind, the talented authors can describe a scene and each reader can have their own interpretation based on their own life experiences. I prefer a certain level of ambiguity.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first text book that should have been given for English Literature should have been a comprehensive list of symbolism. The second should have been an English to English translation of Shakespeare.
I don't agree

part of the fun part is figuring that shit out and talking it out on your own. If it is spelled out for you, it isn't as good.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my mind, the talented authors can describe a scene and each reader can have their own interpretation based on their own life experiences. I prefer a certain level of ambiguity.
exactly. One of the best things about reading a book (or watching a movie or whatever) is that it can sometimes be interpreted differently by each person taking it in.

Those scenes or chapters that make you put the book down for a second and just think are great.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree

part of the fun part is figuring that shit out and talking it out on your own. If it is spelled out for you, it isn't as good.

Let me meet you half way and remove some of my sarcasm. We never discussed any symbolism until after the reading assignment. This was way before the internet ... hell we weren't even on the unpaved access road that parallels the information superhighway back then ... and would have Dante dropped in our lap on Friday with a report due Monday. We really needed a cheat sheet with at least the major symbolism to understand what we were reading. My senior class was 42 people so you can imagine the adequacy of reference material we had access to.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's subjective.
You may find symbolism that the author didn't even intend to make.

The Wizard of Oz is a fairly decent example of this with political and economic allegory.
That reminds my of a funny thing I heard about a while ago. James Hetfield was asked what the song Nothing Else Matters was about. I forget what he said initially, but the person interviewing him said he thought the song was talking about how nothing else matters more than their fans. Hetfield decided at that point that was correct.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That reminds my of a funny thing I heard about a while ago. James Hetfield was asked what the song Nothing Else Matters was about. I forget what he said initially, but the person interviewing him said he thought the song was talking about how nothing else matters more than their fans. Hetfield decided at that point that was correct.

One of the best things about Hotel California is that we'll never really know what the song is about.
Which just adds to the mystique.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IIRC back in the 80s, courses were taught in some colleges on American Pie and its symbolism. Then old Don came out and said no, I needed something to rhyme.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best things about Hotel California is that we'll never really know what the song is about.
I never knew there was a debate until now. I thought for sure it was about a satanic cult.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I waited a couple of months after the series to buy GOT. The reason I am disappointed is that you learn nothing new from the book. For reading pleasure, I want details, characters' thoughts and at least a detailed description of the scenes. I am not saying the story is bad, just that Martin's style does not suit my interest. IMHO Clancy was the best at this and I cannot find authors with a similar style.

If you've seen the series, the first book isn't all that great. He is setting up pieces, and you don't get a lot of payoff until the toward the end. And the series follows this book pretty closely.

You'll get a whole lot more out of the next 2 books, as there is more divergence from the series and payoffs begin to get more frequent. Martin goes into detail on scenery when it is essential to the plot. But mostly from him you're getting characters. And back story. And more characters and more back story. He's not as much into describing what as he is to who and why.

I think most people would tell you the 3rd book is the best because so many things he set up in the first 2 begin to pay off. And that's where the most significant divergences between the books and the series begin. But at the point you're at, you probably know all the back stories because of the series. But there will be things in the second book that differ somewhat from the show.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you've seen the series, the first book isn't all that great. He is setting up pieces, and you don't get a lot of payoff until the toward the end. And the series follows this book pretty closely.

You'll get a whole lot more out of the next 2 books, as there is more divergence from the series and payoffs begin to get more frequent. Martin goes into detail on scenery when it is essential to the plot. But mostly from him you're getting characters. And back story. And more characters and more back story. He's not as much into describing what as he is to who and why.

I think most people would tell you the 3rd book is the best because so many things he set up in the first 2 begin to pay off. And that's where the most significant divergences between the books and the series begin. But at the point you're at, you probably know all the back stories because of the series. But there will be things in the second book that differ somewhat from the show.

Thanks! I am really impressed at how well the first season mirrored the book. I saw a Clancy interview on the HFRO movie and he explained how each page of book translates to 1 minute of screen time in a movie. That is when I learned the reasons to separate the books from movies and let each one stand on its own.

I guess the best example I can give about detailed writing that really piques my interest is in The Sum of All Fears when he describes the nuclear bomb detonating. It's not just that he walks you through everything that happens in the detonation as much as the line, and I am paraphrasing, "Everything of consequence in the detonation that is going to happen already has but outside the bomb case there is no indication". IMHO that was insight that still amazes me to think about.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That show will go down in history has the greatest television show with the most epic fail wind down and conclusion. They just mailed it in at the end. Joke.
I always hear people say how bad season 8 was as if seasons 6 and 7 weren't also terrible. I don't get it. 8 was the worst for sure but 6 and 7 were also poorly written and goofy as all fuck. The show started going down hill in the middle of season 5 and dropped off a cliff into a pool of liquid shit by the middle of season 6.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like hearing it from the author. Anything else, especially in school, can be opinion disguised as fact.

See, for me, I don't want to hear what the author intended. That goes for songs/lyrics and fine art as well.

In my opinion, good art has an ability to be different things to different people. Take a book, or a song that you love and discuss it with someone you respect. Often times, you're taking completely different things away from it, and that's awesome. We all see things from different perspectives.

I like to hear other people's takes on works because they're just opinions. When an author or writer says, "well, this was about X, period," it can crush the personal connection between the work and you.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I recently heard an interview with Dave Matthews and he was talking about different people taking art differently. He brought up a song called When I'm Weary that he co-wrote with Mark Baston. Months after it was recorded and finished, the discussed it and he realized that the two of them thought it was about completely opposite emotions.

L'chaim.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to hear other people's takes on works because they're just opinions. When an author or writer says, "well, this was about X, period," it can crush the personal connection between the work and you.

I am okay hearing the author's take unless it is an archaic work(Dante) that is hard to understand. It gives me an added layer to say he was really talking about this but he reminded me of that. Don't get me wrong, I would not want to hear the writer before I glean what I can from my perspective.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently heard an interview with Dave Matthews and he was talking about different people taking art differently. He brought up a song called When I'm Weary that he co-wrote with Mark Baston. Months after it was recorded and finished, the discussed it and he realized that the two of them thought it was about completely opposite emotions.

L'chaim.

Freaking amazing, thanks.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, for me, I don't want to hear what the author intended. That goes for songs/lyrics and fine art as well.

In my opinion, good art has an ability to be different things to different people. Take a book, or a song that you love and discuss it with someone you respect. Often times, you're taking completely different things away from it, and that's awesome. We all see things from different perspectives.

Well said.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think the ending was as bad as most

Really the problem was it was too rushed. Dany did a 180 in a few episodes after spending seven seasons getting there.

Yeah, it was fine. They just ramped up the pace a little to fast. Probably should have been 1 more season.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not about a hotel in California?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone brought up Dave Matthews. Please off yourself.