• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 47 - Philadelphia Flyers at New York Islanders(1-19-15): 1:00pm EST

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Outside of G and Couturier I'm not sure any of the Flyers forwards know how to play defense this year. Voracek is OK at times, but not consistent. Read used to be good at it. Other than that they're mostly terrible.

I think that would be one of the reasons I'd look at moving Brayden Schenn - there are much better 2nd line potential centers in the league that are better defensively than he is - part of the problem is that for a while the 2nd line was so bad defensively - it forces them to switch up the lines because they can't have one line so bad defensively

I think the Flyers really have to look at forwards in the offseason that are good defensively

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. bylsma would be a permanent type switch.

I think they can move some of them. the returns might not be great, but I think some of the problem is these guys are playing so out of place they're getting exposed. Coburn, A-Mac, Grossmann, Schenn, they're all playing way above where their supposed to be. All 4 of them can provide solid 3rd pair minutes and spot fill on 2nd pairs, they're just not 1st or 2nd pair guys. And the contracts, aside from maybe A-Mac's, aren't awful. Dmen are just expensive.

Yeah those guys are movable except A-Mac - I think they need to ship out two of those guys in order to make a difference - that way it can open up spots for the young guys

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you sign Bylsma as your new head coach make Terry Murray his assistant. You get the benefit of his coaching the D without the worry of him loosing the room. I still remember how much Kim Johnson progressed with him as an assistant with the Flyers. And the one really good season that Therien had was under Murray.

I do doubt that they will either fire Berube or blow things up overnight. I also agree that I would not spend the $$ for tix to see this team.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG they really do need Rosehill...can't believe I said that.

Too many people running around head hunting. No one to keep them honest.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah those guys are movable except A-Mac - I think they need to ship out two of those guys in order to make a difference - that way it can open up spots for the young guys

yep, 100% agree. really gotta move 2 of those 4 by the draft if the rebuild is to begin.

hopefully they can move Schultz and MDZ for picks too. Those 2 actually could get nice returns.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be one of the reasons I'd look at moving Brayden Schenn - there are much better 2nd line potential centers in the league that are better defensively than he is - part of the problem is that for a while the 2nd line was so bad defensively - it forces them to switch up the lines because they can't have one line so bad defensively

I think the Flyers really have to look at forwards in the offseason that are good defensively

I was, and have been, pretty against moving Schenn. But he's really not showing me much, and he's not going to be a center on the Flyers long term. Giroux, Couturier, and Laughton are 1-2-3 of the future I think. So if he can't figure out the wing, which he hasn't been able to, I'm willing to move him if it brings back a good return. Maybe they can move the Schenn's to someone for a 1st and a decent prospect?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you sign Bylsma as your new head coach make Terry Murray his assistant. You get the benefit of his coaching the D without the worry of him loosing the room. I still remember how much Kim Johnson progressed with him as an assistant with the Flyers. And the one really good season that Therien had was under Murray.

I do doubt that they will either fire Berube or blow things up overnight. I also agree that I would not spend the $$ for tix to see this team.

I think actually, in a perfect world, Terry Murray would be an assistant on the team because he can focus solely on the defense while you can have a head coach that is progressive on the offensive side of the puck

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, 100% agree. really gotta move 2 of those 4 by the draft if the rebuild is to begin.

hopefully they can move Schultz and MDZ for picks too. Those 2 actually could get nice returns.

I said earlier that the way MDZ is playing, this is when they could get the most for him - I think you have to get as many draft picks and or prospects as possible - they had a pretty nice draft this past one and if you can put up multiple good drafts then that will go a long way

At the same time, they need to get rid of one of the bigger contracts too so they can get some cap space because you can trade Nick Schultz and MDZ all you want but they're not really ridding much cap space in those deals - maybe they package MDZ and another d-man? Not sure how reasonable that is but maybe that's a way to get a deal done

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said earlier that the way MDZ is playing, this is when they could get the most for him - I think you have to get as many draft picks and or prospects as possible - they had a pretty nice draft this past one and if you can put up multiple good drafts then that will go a long way

At the same time, they need to get rid of one of the bigger contracts too so they can get some cap space because you can trade Nick Schultz and MDZ all you want but they're not really ridding much cap space in those deals - maybe they package MDZ and another d-man? Not sure how reasonable that is but maybe that's a way to get a deal done

I think MDZ/Schultz are were you get the majority of your value in terms of picks/prospects. The others, the major value is getting rid of them haha. I guess Coburn will probably return something decent too.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was, and have been, pretty against moving Schenn. But he's really not showing me much, and he's not going to be a center on the Flyers long term. Giroux, Couturier, and Laughton are 1-2-3 of the future I think. So if he can't figure out the wing, which he hasn't been able to, I'm willing to move him if it brings back a good return. Maybe they can move the Schenn's to someone for a 1st and a decent prospect?

Trust me, I know you've been against it for a while, because of his contract and how you need flexibility in that department, but I just don't think he has the "it" factor and he's probably not going to become what the Flyers want him to be on this team

I think Minnesota would be a good fit for the Schenn's - even though Brayden probably will never be a number one type center, the Wild need help down the middle and they need more depth on defense because after Ryan Suter and Jonas Brodin, it doesn't look so great

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris VandeVelde has another goal - making a case for a 4th line spot next season?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this one is over!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I know you've been against it for a while, because of his contract and how you need flexibility in that department, but I just don't think he has the "it" factor and he's probably not going to become what the Flyers want him to be on this team

I think Minnesota would be a good fit for the Schenn's - even though Brayden probably will never be a number one type center, the Wild need help down the middle and they need more depth on defense because after Ryan Suter and Jonas Brodin, it doesn't look so great

BSchenn is probably the most frustrating player on the team for me. He was supposed to be good. Should be good. Has a great contract. And just won't perform to where he's supposed to. Maybe if it takes him to be able to trade a dman and get something useful back, it's worth it.

I do think he has 'the flyers will regret this' written all over him though.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSchenn is probably the most frustrating player on the team for me. He was supposed to be good. Should be good. Has a great contract. And just won't perform to where he's supposed to. Maybe if it takes him to be able to trade a dman and get something useful back, it's worth it.

I do think he has 'the flyers will regret this' written all over him though.

Maybe it does, but as long as they get a good return and that return helps this team, then that's the most important thing

Erik Haula, Jason Zucker(who has 16 goals in 40 games this season) for Brayden Schenn and Luke Schenn - what would you think of that? Haula is pretty good defensively and has lots of speed

Not sure the Wild would do this, but their defense isn't that deep and I think Luke Schenn could help them and Brayden Schenn would help them up the middle with more offense

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it does, but as long as they get a good return and that return helps this team, then that's the most important thing

Erik Haula, Jason Zucker(who has 16 goals in 40 games this season) for Brayden Schenn and Luke Schenn - what would you think of that? Haula is pretty good defensively and has lots of speed

Not sure the Wild would do this, but their defense isn't that deep and I think Luke Schenn could help them and Brayden Schenn would help them up the middle with more offense

I don't know much about either of them to be honest. Will take some research.

I do know that Haula has an awesome name if he does have lots of speed.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
in reference to all above i agree with trading schenn is the way to go. couterier laughton giroux as your top 3 centers makes you solid up the middle with ability offensively and defensively.

next year....

(LW) Giroux Voracek
(LW) Laughton Simmonds
(LW) Couterier Read
Raffl (C) Rinaldo

Streit Morin
Ghost Grossman
Schenn AMac

Stolarz & Mason

It is pathetic the state of this team as far as wing play goes....

Above I am assuming one way or another that you are able to rid yourself of Vinny/Umberger, and trade Coburn.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upon very quick review, and obviously no watching of them play, I hope the Flyers could get more than that for the Schenns.

Haula's numbers for a defensive minded guy aren't great. -4 with very little offensive production. recently a healthy scratch. Could be a prime candidate for a change in scenery, but he was never really that dynamic from what I can see. Later round draft pick, hasn't stuck real well in the NHL. His 'breakout' was a 7 point in 13 game playoff last season. That's doesn't warrant an expectation of flourishing elsewhere to me.

Zucker seems like a good choice. he's about on par with BSchenn as far as offensive production goes. I like that he's a LW though, could be a dynamic fit with G and Voracek. Also like that he's more of a goal scorer than a setup guy.

Definitely think focusing on speed is a good idea. The Flyers are an extremely slow hockey team these days.

I think I'd prefer Zucker and a draft pick though I think. From that very quick scan of them.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upon very quick review, and obviously no watching of them play, I hope the Flyers could get more than that for the Schenns.

Haula's numbers for a defensive minded guy aren't great. -4 with very little offensive production. recently a healthy scratch. Could be a prime candidate for a change in scenery, but he was never really that dynamic from what I can see. Later round draft pick, hasn't stuck real well in the NHL. His 'breakout' was a 7 point in 13 game playoff last season. That's doesn't warrant an expectation of flourishing elsewhere to me.

Zucker seems like a good choice. he's about on par with BSchenn as far as offensive production goes. I like that he's a LW though, could be a dynamic fit with G and Voracek. Also like that he's more of a goal scorer than a setup guy.

Definitely think focusing on speed is a good idea. The Flyers are an extremely slow hockey team these days.

I think I'd prefer Zucker and a draft pick though I think. From that very quick scan of them.

Haula was a +14 last season, hard to say he's not something of significance - the whole Wild team have been awful this season so it's not just him

I didn't think Haula and Zucker were enough but I do really like Zucker - maybe Zucker and a pick imo - I'll check their prospects later on and see if there are any to choose from

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Couturier as a 2C and Laughton as a 3C REALLY good enough to win a Cup? Couturier hasn't shown more than 3rd line ability and Laughton has yet to show he's more than a 4th line player.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Couturier had Jake on one wing and a healthy Read on the other his line was a a serious two way threat.

I could not be paid to keep Rinaldo

The state of the forwards on this team is just so sad.