• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 47 - Philadelphia Flyers at New York Islanders(1-19-15): 1:00pm EST

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chy I really can't tell how you feel about MacDonald. You're so on the fence. :lol:

his contract is the worst though, I think it's tough to argue. Vinny at #2 is also pretty bad, but if he keeps up his current level of play (barring the isles game which I didn't hear his name at all), his hit isn't abysmal for his production.

After those 2 though, I don't think the other 3 are that bad. Schenn's is a little high, but it's not terribly long. Same story with Umberger if he keeps up he's recent play. Through the first 2-3 months he might've ousted AMac as the worst contract.

I'd sign Streit to that contract today if he didn't have it already (and the Flyers didn't have 17 bottom 4 dmen). That's a good deal for a dman that puts up the offense that he does.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more on Streit because based on that article, he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Some names below him in points from dmen:
Letang
Carlson
Byfuglien
Shea freaking Weber
Karlsson
Subban
Vatanen
Yandle
Josi
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Keith
Markov
Green

In case that doesn't give it away, Streit is 4th in the NHL in points from dmen.

edit (more for fun):
OEL
Fowler
Muzzin
Suter

and he's doing this, primarily, with the offensively inept Nick Grossmann as his partner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only 2 that can even possibly be moved are Schenn and Grossmann. They, and Schultz are the closest thing we have to defensemen earning their salary. At this point, it does not seem like they would be too hard to replace.

As far as high salary goes, I think Braydon Coburn is a commodity and in the right deal as far as a team having a specific need, Luke Schenn and Nicklas Grossmann could be moved too

Really, the easiest two to move would be MDZ and Nick Schultz because of their value and production

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chy I really can't tell how you feel about MacDonald. You're so on the fence. :lol:

his contract is the worst though, I think it's tough to argue. Vinny at #2 is also pretty bad, but if he keeps up his current level of play (barring the isles game which I didn't hear his name at all), his hit isn't abysmal for his production.

After those 2 though, I don't think the other 3 are that bad. Schenn's is a little high, but it's not terribly long. Same story with Umberger if he keeps up he's recent play. Through the first 2-3 months he might've ousted AMac as the worst contract.

I'd sign Streit to that contract today if he didn't have it already (and the Flyers didn't have 17 bottom 4 dmen). That's a good deal for a dman that puts up the offense that he does.

Streit on there was a bit of a surprise. In my usual rants about our defense, I have never included him. He gets a high salary for his PP skills alone. With Kimmo out, where would our PP be without him?

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as high salary goes, I think Braydon Coburn is a commodity and in the right deal as far as a team having a specific need, Luke Schenn and Nicklas Grossmann could be moved too

Really, the easiest two to move would be MDZ and Nick Schultz because of their value and production

This does nothing for the future as Schultz is a UFA and MDZ a RFA. The top 5 make too much money to sit for any length of time. Moving any of those 5 opens cap and a spot for a younger, cheaper player.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does nothing for the future as Schultz is a UFA and MDZ a RFA. The top 5 make too much money to sit for any length of time. Moving any of those 5 opens cap and a spot for a younger, cheaper player.

Not arguing that, but the point is, who is the EASIEST to move and the easiest guys to move are MDZ and Nick Schultz because they are cheap and they've been the best d-men on the team this season

The guys you'd want to move ARE the high salary guys, but that doesn't mean they're the EASIEST to move

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MDZ/Schultz would probably return the highest value because they're rentals, playing fairly well, and have small hits

Coburn is probably next because he's probably the best the Flyers have, even though he's having a down season. His contract isn't bad, he should fetch a good return.

Grossmann/Schenn, probably won't net much in return if they're dealt, but it would be nice to move at least one of them to clear space and a roster spot. They're both a little overpaid, but don't have terrible contracts

MacDonald, Flyers would probably have to eat some of his contract or sweeten the pot just to get rid of him.

CC, might be able to get a late pick for him from someone who needs a 7th dman.

Streit, probably won't move and probably shouldn't move.

Lastly, it's a pretty bad sign when you want to trade 7 of your 8 defensemen.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MDZ/Schultz would probably return the highest value because they're rentals, playing fairly well, and have small hits

Coburn is probably next because he's probably the best the Flyers have, even though he's having a down season. His contract isn't bad, he should fetch a good return.

Grossmann/Schenn, probably won't net much in return if they're dealt, but it would be nice to move at least one of them to clear space and a roster spot. They're both a little overpaid, but don't have terrible contracts

MacDonald, Flyers would probably have to eat some of his contract or sweeten the pot just to get rid of him.

And the thing is, all the teams in the league know each other's weaknesses and won't give in when it comes to making trades

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coburn is hard to move as he is a 3rd pairing dman with a $4.5 hit next year. A team would want Schultz and make an offer on him before Coburn. I don't know how likely he is to move for this reason.

I think Grossmann and Schenn are movable because their contracts are $3.6 and $3.5. An argument can be made that Grossmann is a 2nd pairing dman with a 3rd round pick to get him. Schenn is a little tougher but is a 3rd pairing guy. $3.5 is pricy for a 3rd pairing guy but a team may want to plug him in before Coburn at $4.5.

A Mac can be moved only if the pot is sweetened to include G, Jake or Simmonds. $5 per year for another 5 years for a borderline 3rd pairing defenseman is not happening.

I would be happy keeping Streit and Grossmann. Schultz has been a true bargain for this sorry group but he is not the future.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coburn is hard to move as he is a 3rd pairing dman with a $4.5 hit next year. A team would want Schultz and make an offer on him before Coburn. I don't know how likely he is to move for this reason.

I think Grossmann and Schenn are movable because their contracts are $3.6 and $3.5. An argument can be made that Grossmann is a 2nd pairing dman with a 3rd round pick to get him. Schenn is a little tougher but is a 3rd pairing guy. $3.5 is pricy for a 3rd pairing guy but a team may want to plug him in before Coburn at $4.5.

A Mac can be moved only if the pot is sweetened to include G, Jake or Simmonds. $5 per year for another 5 years for a borderline 3rd pairing defenseman is not happening.

I would be happy keeping Streit and Grossmann. Schultz has been a true bargain for this sorry group but he is not the future.

Coburn outside of this year is a good 1st pair/2nd pair tweener guy. When he played with Timonen, he was a capable first dpair guy. He's got good wheels, a big body, blocks shots, and can usually move the puck. 4.5 is the market rate, or even below the market rate for that. And it's only 1 extra year if it doesn't pan out. I don't think the Flyers will have any trouble moving him. It'll just be a matter of how much they can get back for him. He's looked horrible this year, but everyone outside of G and Voracek has looked horrible. Coburn has been one of the steadiest dmen the flyers have had in the last 10 years. Teams will overlook 40ish games of poor play.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coburn outside of this year is a good 1st pair/2nd pair tweener guy. When he played with Timonen, he was a capable first dpair guy. He's got good wheels, a big body, blocks shots, and can usually move the puck. 4.5 is the market rate, or even below the market rate for that. And it's only 1 extra year if it doesn't pan out. I don't think the Flyers will have any trouble moving him. It'll just be a matter of how much they can get back for him. He's looked horrible this year, but everyone outside of G and Voracek has looked horrible. Coburn has been one of the steadiest dmen the flyers have had in the last 10 years. Teams will overlook 40ish games of poor play.

I hope you are right. He has been either inconsistent or bad this year. Turns the puck over all the time. Doesn't take the body and has lost a step. In the past he would become obsessed and when the Flyers were flat would try to spark the team by joining the rush. I have not seen any of that this year. He was a 1st pairing with Kimmo but was suspect whenever they were split up. They kept putting him back with Kimmo because he wasn't very good without him.