• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: G36 20-9-6 Kings @ Capitals 1/7/24

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning mooks, it's game day. Going to see if I can catch the Giants game and take down Christmas decorations inside while waiting for the game to start. It's a 12pm start time today.

The Kings don't generally do well in day games but I'm hoping being back on the road helps them get back into gear. The Caps are 4-4-2 in their last 10 (1-4-2 in last 7) to match LAs pedestrian play in that same span (identical record) buy playing better after a slow start. They're 2 points out of a WC spot behind NJ who has WC8. Interesting to see the Lightning also on the outside sitting 1 point behind NJ for WC8, Kucherov is having an MVP season but maybe the Tampa magic is over.

Kings need to get some guys going again, specifically Kopitar, Dunno and Doughty IMO. Clarke is on the trip with the team, hope he goes in today because I'd like to see him and how he has progressed since his 9 game stint in October 2022. Otherwise no line changes from the Detroit game. That line of PLD, Kempe and Laferriere looked good and carried the team in that game, hopefully PLD about to register his first signature game in LA - he's been building and heating up.

Talbot expected to go and Kuemper for the Caps who like Jones has been a King killer against his former team. Wilson has been pretty quiet in recent years but you know he's always around so keep those heads up and even for being a relic Ovechkin has that deadly one timer from the left circle.

Prediction: 4-2 Caps. Hopw I'm wrong, Kings need a spark.

Let's Go Kings!

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings need to win and win in good fasion. I still think PLD needs another high skill guy with him to be effective, i know at his cap that sucks but its been that way his entire career so putting that square peg in a round hole is what ruins his welcome everywhere....why continue that. Put him on a line so he can be effective, why wouldnt you....let him get rolling. Doughboy needs to shut up and play, i know whining and trash talk is his wheelhouse but Kings need solid d and getting puck up ice....we complain about PLD cap, but ignore 10m and 11m from the Kings C and A.....that $$ should be carrying a team. We all know they cant in a way others making that much can and its for the success they brought us LA fans but those cap hits hurt the Kings every bit as much as PLD and they get to play where they want and with who they want(deservedly so) while PLD is almost on an island. Anyway, Kings gotta right this ship so they can address the real problems come TDL instead. Kings win 5-2

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings need to win and win in good fasion.

If they do win I agree. It has to be a statement win, not a squeaker. The Kings are quickly approaching the "started off hot but they're meh" category, they have dropped significantly in power rankings, lots of articles now popping up questioning how legitimate they are, the talk of being elite has disappeared.

Its an EC game and is also today's Showcase Game on NHL Network so there will be a lot of eyes on this game.

I still think PLD needs another high skill guy with him to be effective, i know at his cap that sucks but its been that way his entire career so putting that square peg in a round hole is what ruins his welcome everywhere....why continue that. Put him on a line so he can be effective, why wouldnt you....let him get rolling.

I see your point but but acquiring him some of that had to go the other way. The way L1 and L2 played last season, you knew McLellan was not going to tinker with those so the obvious spot was L3 for PLD. Aren't going to exactly get top flight wingers there and that has played out not to mention Arty Retardy not delivering as a scorer which is basically all he can do. I think there is chemistry with Laferriere and PLD, but Laferriere will probably be Iafallo 2.0 - great hustle, details, but not a strong finisher (yet anyway. And for God's sake don't pay him $4 million when that time comes). He's finallY playing with Kempe, who seems to produce no matter what line he is on so maybe he finally kick starts PLD.

The help will come, he's just got ro produce with who he has right now.

Doughboy needs to shut up and play, i know whining and trash talk is his wheelhouse but Kings need solid d and getting puck up ice....we complain about PLD cap, but ignore 10m and 11m from the Kings C and A.....that $$ should be carrying a team. We all know they cant in a way others making that much can and its for the success they brought us LA fans but those cap hits hurt the Kings every bit as much as PLD and they get to play where they want and with who they want(deservedly so) while PLD is almost on an island.

Definitely need more from Kopitar and Doughty, most important consistent production. Both started off hot, both have considerably cooled down but obviously the drivers on offense and from the back end.

I added Dunno because he isn't exactly making chump change and he earned it his first season but the regression to where he is now was expected. Ideally he would be the C3 but again, the roster construction doesn't allow that just yet.

Anyway, Kings gotta right this ship so they can address the real problems come TDL instead. Kings win 5-2

Hope you're right. If goaltending holds I think Bowlby looks for a skilled winger at tye TDL. If Arvidsson returns after or is scheduled to ans avoids cap implications, I think he should look for a big, physical C4 if the POs are looking good becauee Arvdisson would be that skilled winger already in house.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess thats sort of my point, if someone like Kempe can produce with anyone....then let him and get PLD with better skill. Its about winning and sometimes being hard headed with lines doesnt work. If movong Kempe makes 2 lines dangerous, then do it...if it just makes PLD line work then its kind of pointless if that makes any sense and then you need to add someone. Gotta find a few line combos that work and not just rely on 1 or 2.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but you know how McLellan is. He's a veteran's coach mostly although he's had to change up a little but with the youth that has come through LA during his tenure here. He may play them more but he still doesn't like to break up his veteran players and lines. His stubbornness has also been his death, especially in the POs - doesn't make the necessary adjustments soon enough or at all.

Makes you wonder also if Kempe is actually the one that makes L1 go and not Kopitar or Buster.

OT, was watching NHLN earlier and mid show they had a solid piece on Fiala and how dynamic and lethal of a player he has become. They showed various goals and set ups he's had with the Kings, good stuff.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to watch that. Fiala is very dynamic, its just when he makes a move and skates ahead of the puck when he is the last man back on the Pp is what drives me nuts. Dont do that shit when the team is in front of you....make a pass. 0-0....Kings gotta step up to get the 5g i want lol

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes you wonder also if Kempe is actually the one that makes L1 go and not Kopitar or Buster.

Very much possible, Kopistar has lost a lot tho he is still good but is he "i am the line" good....not so sure anymore. Buster has shown some glimpses of goodness....wonder what would happen swapping him and laffer or PLD and Kopi. I still think Kopistar should be the #1....but getting guys going should be the goal right now....not doing that insanity thing this far into season

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster and PLD would be intriguing for sure. I can see them gelling pretty well.

And WTF did I just mention, I think you said JAD will be the next Amadio playing for a division rival and killing the Kings and I said that's how I feel when Nic F**king Dowd scores against LA.

Well....bastard.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster and PLD would be intriguing for sure. I can see them gelling pretty well.

And WTF did I just mention, I think you said JAD will be the next Amadio playing for a division rival and killing the Kings and I said that's how I feel when Nic F**king Dowd scores against LA.

Well....bastard.
Not me, but i remember long ago talking about how Kings players where successful elsewhere....but that was due to the system in place kinda hampered skill. I was ok with players netting goals way over what they did in LA because well 2 cups and quite a bit of domination haha.

Recently was someone else on JAD tho

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what is it about former Kings seemingly destroying the Kings when facing them? Is it an anomaly? Does it really happen to LA more than usual? Do we only notice more because we remember who played for the Kings? Former goalies and 1st game goalies are the worst

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, take this game over and dont look back

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeebus, ok next 3 are for LA

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit, thats a thanks Talbot lol

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome, i think Kings outplayed Caps but 2 or 3 stupid mistakes and Kuemper sealed the deal

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome, i think Kings outplayed Caps but 2 or 3 stupid mistakes and Kuemper sealed the deal

I left at 210 to drop the daughter and BF off at The Rectum so I missed the third, Fiala just scored to make it 3-2 as we walked out the door. Saw freaking Carlson scored super late to win.

WTF happened? And I called it, this is no longer a blip, it's a problem and I'd be questioning a lot of players and coaches right now were I brass.

McLellan only received a 1 year extension, we may be seeing his last season here. Reminds me of Terry W. Murray Hates Black People, he can only take you so far but can't win the big ones.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Kings are still in decent shape they need to do something to right the ship. This month is going to kill them and missing the PO will become a certainty soon. Really change up the lines, make a roster move that matters, fire the coach....dont really care what but they need to kick this team in the nuts. We all thought the kings a season away, but that was based on goaltending which for the most part has been ok....so is it PLD, Kopistar/Doughboy too old/too much cap, line combos, Buster, coaching, all of it? Better start figuring it out now vs later.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something is needed for sure. It's entirely possible at the end of this road trip the Kings could be on the outside looking in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been able to watch the recent games, so I can't really weigh in on those, but this was all trending this way for awhile. I thought it was the Gavrikov injury, but he's been back and it hasn't gotten better. Looking to some bigger salary guys to right the ship, like Fiala and PLD, and it's disheartening that that's probably not likely to be reliable as a solve. I saw Fiala had two last game but I don't have any context other than seeing his stats. That would seem encouraging though.

My main thing is this team still doesn't really have an identity. PP still atrocious. Goaltending is okay. They definitely don't look any stronger today than the last two years, or appear any better positioned to overtake Edmonton or Vegas.

I am not really sure what the answer is. More cap next year to get that higher tier goalie, but as we all discussed, their issues seem to go much deeper right now. Definitely going to be an interesting month to see what adjustments can be made.