• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:::Flyers Draft Central 2012:::

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you need Hooked on Phonics? If you think stop gapping a hole everytime it happens is the way to buikd a team then so be it, but it never happens that way does it, lol.

Wow the insults start. Hmmm I think Homer may know a bit more then you. The guy has done very well in drafts. While I will agree we need defensive help, I also think we can fill the void in other ways. Homers and the scouts liked Laughton. Ill trust the pick and go from there.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow the insults start. Hmmm I think Homer may know a bit more then you. The guy has done very well in drafts. While I will agree we need defensive help, I also think we can fill the void in other ways. Homers and the scouts liked Laughton. Ill trust the pick and go from there.

I wasn't being insulting trust me, You threw the first Barb out there, If you don't understand my wording don't assume to know what I'm sayin.. If you think getting this Laughton kid is helping our core now, then I guess you feel we can win with the same defensive scheme for the next few years? You have to build a core and it has to start somewhere.. Homer is doing a shitty job of that.. And I probably know the same or more about Hockey than Homer..

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't being insulting trust me, You threw the first Barb out there, If you don't understand my wording don't assume to know what I'm sayin.. If you think getting this Laughton kid is helping our core now, then I guess you feel we can win with the same defensive scheme for the next few years? You have to build a core and it has to start somewhere.. Homer is doing a shitty job of that.. And I probably know the same or more about Hockey than Homer..

nobody is saying that.. we're saying drafting maatta probably wouldnt help our core now either.. he needs a year or two to develop still

next year's help comes via trade or free agency.. still wish they woulda taken maatta, cause in a couple years they need dmen.. but next year and the future are different

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fredrik larsson.. G, 5'8 160.. wtf?

i feel like the flyers are just pissing picks away right now

edit: ok, the search led me astray.. apparently hes a 6-2, 180 dman..

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody is saying that.. we're saying drafting maatta probably wouldnt help our core now either.. he needs a year or two to develop still

next year's help comes via trade or free agency.. still wish they woulda taken maatta, cause in a couple years they need dmen.. but next year and the future are different

And that'll help us win how? We have NO DEFENSIVE CORE NOW! By the time you say we start developing a core in a couple of years, all our good players now will be older, slower or gone..If you were gonna waste a pick on LAughton, why not package him or that pick and JVR to get a FA Dman now? Homer has truly dropped the ball in this draft, I guess it's just my opinion, but you'll all see come next season I was right..

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that'll help us win how? We have NO DEFENSIVE CORE NOW! By the time you say we start developing a core in a couple of years, all our good players now will be older, slower or gone..If you were gonna waste a pick on LAughton, why not package him or that pick and JVR to get a FA Dman now? Homer has truly dropped the ball in this draft, I guess it's just my opinion, but you'll all see come next season I was right..

not arguing homer is having a good draft.. i dont understand it at all, everyone knows the flyers needed d-prospects.. my only point is this will have no impact on the team next year.. none.. none of the players that were available at 20 will be difference makers NEXT season

dont get too worked up though SF.. for all we know gostisbehere could turn out to be the best dman in the draft.. its tough to say he's having a horrible draft until a couple years down the road.. its odd, and not stocking the cupboard with what the flyers need, but if these players pan out, it'll be hard to call it a bad draft

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reece wilcox.. 6-2 180ish.. another dman with size.. going to cornell next year

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not arguing homer is having a good draft.. i dont understand it at all, everyone knows the flyers needed d-prospects.. my only point is this will have no impact on the team next year.. none.. none of the players that were available at 20 will be difference makers NEXT season

dont get too worked up though SF.. for all we know gostisbehere could turn out to be the best dman in the draft.. its tough to say he's having a horrible draft until a couple years down the road.. its odd, and not stocking the cupboard with what the flyers need, but if these players pan out, it'll be hard to call it a bad draft

Our Drafts could have had an effect this year, if we trade that 1st and JVR or Bob to someone for a good dman in return it helps us next year, as far as building a solid core, we'll see. We needed defensive help and depth for next year, not gonna happen unless we trade a high caliber player, again dismantling to fix a gaping hole has never worked and wont next year either.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Drafts could have had an effect this year, if we trade that 1st and JVR or Bob to someone for a good dman in return it helps us next year, as far as building a solid core, we'll see. We needed defensive help and depth for next year, not gonna happen unless we trade a high caliber player, again dismantling to fix a gaping hole has never worked and wont next year either.

that's a trade that could've helped. not a draft pick.

and trading draft picks for players is exactly that cycle that you hate.

keep in mind the flyers are going to improve if they do nothing but return the same team.. giroux will be better, schenn will be healthier and better, jvr will be healthier and better, meszaros will be healthier, couturier will be better, bourdon and gust will get better.. hopefully bryz continues to improve like he did in the 2nd half of last year

the flyers got better this past season because just giroux got better and they got good seasons from some rookies

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

keep in mind the flyers are going to improve if they do nothing but return the same team.. giroux will be better, schenn will be healthier and better, jvr will be healthier and better, meszaros will be healthier, couturier will be better, bourdon and gust will get better.. hopefully bryz continues to improve like he did in the 2nd half of last year

the flyers got better this past season because just giroux got better and they got good seasons from some rookies

great post
plus we will add some free agents to improve this team could be possible trades as well

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the kings would take hyka.. damnit.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True but I'm sayin if your gonna waste it why not try to do something meaningful to help the team now?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but I'm sayin if your gonna waste it why not try to do something meaningful to help the team now?

i guess homer doesn't see laughton as a wasted pick.. and honestly he probably wont be a wasted pick, the flyers do well drafting forwards in that range (carter, richards, giroux, gagne, etc).. its just not what the flyers farm system needed

the flyers have done well in the 20-25 range though because they've taken who they think is the best available player at the time.. and i'm content if they thought laughton was the best player available at the time, i trust they know more about these kids than i do.. i've never seen any of them play a single game (aside from hyka)

laughton seems to have a fantastic attitude.. if he has any skill at all to back up his attitude, he's going to be a good NHL player down the line.. attitude was a common theme through the first few picks for the flyers.. they are taking guys that are hard workers and really want to be the best player than they can, and they want to be the best teammate that they can be.. sometimes that attitude is more important than on-ice skill (as we've seen from richards and carter in 2010-2011)

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have seen in 2006 we had Richards and Carter right on the cusp of really breaking out. Going into the draft the plan was for a defenseman. But no. Flyers go with an undersized French Canadian forward. What a waste, not what we need with our two centers on the verge.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess homer doesn't see laughton as a wasted pick.. and honestly he probably wont be a wasted pick, the flyers do well drafting forwards in that range (carter, richards, giroux, gagne, etc).. its just not what the flyers farm system needed

the flyers have done well in the 20-25 range though because they've taken who they think is the best available player at the time.. and i'm content if they thought laughton was the best player available at the time, i trust they know more about these kids than i do.. i've never seen any of them play a single game (aside from hyka)

laughton seems to have a fantastic attitude.. if he has any skill at all to back up his attitude, he's going to be a good NHL player down the line.. attitude was a common theme through the first few picks for the flyers.. they are taking guys that are hard workers and really want to be the best player than they can, and they want to be the best teammate that they can be.. sometimes that attitude is more important than on-ice skill (as we've seen from richards and carter in 2010-2011)

Yep dead on Awaz and how does anyone know what moves the Flyers will make in the future? For all we know they trade JVR or someone else for a young good dman and all this talk ends. I remember talking to a wings fan a few years ago and he said the Flyers were getting old with no prospects and then bam they become one of the youngest talented teams with two trades. Guaranteed that Homer doesn't go into next season without finding a solid dman and Gusty and Bourdon will be better so why panic at this point?

Besides isn't maatta concussion prone already? Maybe the red flags were too high for that point in the draft....

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shutdown Mikhail Grigorenko and Filip Forsberg as a part of Team Canada.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I wonder, How many of the people on here will be loving this Draft pick come the end of next season, where lo and behold, were heading into the playoffs and one of our Good Dmen gets hurt again, and what a ya know, it's depletion central at the Defensive position once again. This was not a good draft pick unless you are planning to bundle him and JVR and get a legit Dman. I would trade both these players and another pick to Phoenix for Yandle in a heartbeat. This move really puzzled me and Pissed me off considering Maata was there for the taking. Man I know this is gonna be a regret.

I wanted Maatta too, but he wasn't going to help the team this year. More a long-term thing, as Timonen's gonna retire at some point and you'd like to have a stud ready to take over for him. Laughton isn't going to help the team this year either, and again, I was puzzled by drafting another center, but you just have to hope that the Flyers scouts saw something nobody else did.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Maatta too, but he wasn't going to help the team this year. More a long-term thing, as Timonen's gonna retire at some point and you'd like to have a stud ready to take over for him. Laughton isn't going to help the team this year either, and again, I was puzzled by drafting another center, but you just have to hope that the Flyers scouts saw something nobody else did.

Nothing wrong drafting a Richie clone for third line center. DB won't be here forever....

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted a solid defenseman also but because everyone jumped all over the dmen in the earlier picks matta wouldve been like the 15th best dman of the draft and im assuming we went with the best player availble at the time.