• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida Recruiting...

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the hate flow through you

You can find a lot of excuses here if you really curious
Florida Gators recruiting

Pity is more like it. It's too bad, Florida is a great place to recruit, I can't imagine why they would sign so many 3 stars so early in the process.

It's like going to a Brazilian steak house and hitting the salad bar twice before they even bring out the meat.

No doubt the reason the 5 stars that are still on their radar haven't committed yet is because they've been looking at their weak ass roster of players.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pity is more like it. It's too bad, Florida is a great place to recruit, I can't imagine why they would sign so many 3 stars so early in the process.

It's like going to a Brazilian steak house and hitting the salad bar twice before they even bring out the meat.

No doubt the reason the 5 stars that are still on their radar haven't committed yet is because they've been looking at their weak ass roster of players.
I asked the lot the same question. I was told that it was early and their star numbers would rise.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference, in my view, is he has a QB for the future and Howell and potentially his next QB in Drake Maye. When Brown struggled at Texas, the QB position was a problem.
Texas hasn't had a QB worth a shit since Young.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference, in my view, is he has a QB for the future and Howell and potentially his next QB in Drake Maye. When Brown struggled at Texas, the QB position was a problem.
It was a much deeper problem than just the QB position. They had a roster full of highly rated players that thought their number of rating stars was sufficient.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a much deeper problem than just the QB position. They had a roster full of highly rated players that thought their number of rating stars was sufficient.

Youd be surprised how many of those problems are hidden when you have a legit QB

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The University of Texas hasn't had a QB worth a shit since Young.
:fify:

We've had a lot of good/great QBs in this state since VY. The rusty cows just didn't recruit or land any of them.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Youd be surprised how many of those problems are hidden when you have a legit QB
True. That and real talent will cover up a world of coaching errors.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more than that ... something is simply off at Texas. Their recruiting grounds is as fertile as it gets. They have tradition.

I think it all started when the state of Texas mandated the top 10% of high schools got into the state colleges (it's lower for UTA and TAMU). It meant a lot of the top kids simply were not able to go to UTA, and had to go elsewhere. That meant other schools in the Texas university system became more desirable, and UTA kind of lost its aura as the only school in the state. Throw in TCU and Baylor being attractive to players and doing well, and OU
True. That and real talent will cover up a world of coaching errors.
What's funny is that I recall Mack being criticized for his recruiting. He recruited almost only Texas, filled his class quickly, and then sat back. I don't follow it closely, so that could be totally wrong, but I read some things about that.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more than that ... something is simply off at Texas. Their recruiting grounds is as fertile as it gets. They have tradition.

I think it all started when the state of Texas mandated the top 10% of high schools got into the state colleges (it's lower for UTA and TAMU). It meant a lot of the top kids simply were not able to go to UTA, and had to go elsewhere. That meant other schools in the Texas university system became more desirable, and UTA kind of lost its aura as the only school in the state. Throw in TCU and Baylor being attractive to players and doing well, and OU
What's funny is that I recall Mack being criticized for his recruiting. He recruited almost only Texas, filled his class quickly, and then sat back. I don't follow it closely, so that could be totally wrong, but I read some things about that.

Your last sentence is totally on point. When schools had a more regional approach to recruiting, Texas was more successful. Recruiting has very quickly become a national game, particularly for the top tier programs. You have to recruit nationally and find the best kids if you want to be a tier 1 program. Even in a state as rich in talent as Texas, you can't limit most of your recruiting to in-state kids.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Codaxx and @Thiefery are much more versed in it than I am. But from what I understand Mack allowed both himself and his staff to rely on recruiting services evaluations instead of conducting their own thoroughly enough.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your last sentence is totally on point. When schools had a more regional approach to recruiting, Texas was more successful. Recruiting has very quickly become a national game, particularly for the top tier programs. You have to recruit nationally and find the best kids if you want to be a tier 1 program. Even in a state as rich in talent as Texas, you can't limit most of your recruiting to in-state kids.
Which is why I am so surprised he is recruiting so well. But, he had 5 years or however many, to think through it all, talk to the coaches who know how to recruit. Something is clicking. Might make it fun to go over to Chapel Hill for some games.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is something that a lot of people don't understand...even a bunch that live here in Texas. A lot of the good players are about as developed as they are going to get. Not all of them, but many of the ones that come from places that have great programs have had access to some of the best nutritionists, strength trainers and skills coaches SINCE JUNIOR HIGH...if not before. They have about physically maxed out what God gave them.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I am so surprised he is recruiting so well. But, he had 5 years or however many, to think through it all, talk to the coaches who know how to recruit. Something is clicking. Might make it fun to go over to Chapel Hill for some games.

Sometimes time away from the game helps. You get to listen to a bunch of other countries and see what they do well. He also might have overestimated the amount and/or ability to recruit the top tier talent in Texas. Nobody is under that delusion about NC (not saying it's a bad state for recruiting but it's not Texas).

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it all started when the state of Texas mandated the top 10% of high schools got into the state colleges (it's lower for UTA and TAMU). It meant a lot of the top kids simply were not able to go to UTA, and had to go elsewhere. That meant other schools in the Texas university system became more desirable, and UTA kind of lost its aura as the only school in the state. Throw in TCU and Baylor being attractive to players and doing well, and OU poaching kids. Hell, Bama and UGA get their fair share of Texas kids these days.

One last thing ... the DFW area is a lot like Atlanta metro with a ton of kids transplanted in when parents moved there for business. They have no allegiance to UTA. More likely to look elsewhere.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it all started when the state of Texas mandated the top 10% of high schools got into the state colleges (it's lower for UTA and TAMU). It meant a lot of the top kids simply were not able to go to UTA, and had to go elsewhere. That meant other schools in the Texas university system became more desirable, and UTA kind of lost its aura as the only school in the state. Throw in TCU and Baylor being attractive to players and doing well, and OU poaching kids. Hell, Bama and UGA get their fair share of Texas kids these days.

One last thing ... the DFW area is a lot like Atlanta metro with a ton of kids transplanted in when parents moved there for business. They have no allegiance to UTA. More likely to look elsewhere.

Texas is a bit odd. Remember it is huge. One thing that got Mack in trouble is taking a lot of maxed out kids. I have said I’ll take a 4 star from Florida over a 4 star from Texas. The reason is football is ridiculous here. HS coaches making 6 figures. S&C coaches with legit weight rooms. You see a lot of national recruits from Texas fade during their senior years, as people realize that the upward trend has started to flatten. Mack took kids early and it eventually burned him. That said there are still tons of recruits here, but it’s probably a bit more dangerous in Texas. Herman has actually done a better job. He is big in getting to see kids in camp and track times. His first real class will come draft eligible this year. The other real issue is Texas hasn’t gotten its share of elite recruits. Don’t get me wrong they get lots of 4 stars, but mostly lower 4 star kids. Solid classes, but not getting those kids that are obvious NFL talents. There was also a terrible S&C regime under Strong. Malik Jefferson actually benched more than he squated when Herman came. I can’t think of a bigger indictment on a S&C coach

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened to all the Gator fans that were bragging about their #1 recruiting class just a short couple of months ago.

What happens now that you filled your class up with 3 star schlubs.

The fact that you already have 21 commits and your average is a dismal 89.5 signals to me that Georgia is going to pass you for sure and likely Auburn and A&M too.

You can probably hold off Ole Miss and Mrs State, for 7th place unless they land a stud. Hard to say, your average would have landed you in 8th place last year.

It's ok, I remember when Alabama bottom fed in the recruiting rankings like Florida is going to do...of course, we fired that coach, but we have high expectations.

We haven’t exactly been thrilled with Mullen’s recruiting so that’s not a newsflash. His coaching OTOH, has been quite good. A lot of us are concerned the staff took so many 3 star guys but they obviously liked them - otherwise there was no reason to take them this early.

In the last week we’ve picked up a couple top 200 recruits so that’s looking better. Will they push out some of the 3 stars they took commitments from later in the cycle as we get more highly rated guys? Who knows? It’s happened before though.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually a little surprised there's still only two teams with multiple five star recruits. NC might actually start to compete in the ACC, not a lot of competition in that league right now.

Agreed, though beating Clemson's a pretty tall order. I don't think there's anyone else standing in their way, unless Florida State gets their shit together. And that doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon.