• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Jones' scouting report coming into the NFL?

He was so good every team with a dire need at QB passed on him, lol

Just a guy, nothing more nothing less. Never will be a difference maker but could be a good game manager. Not sure anyone had him as a "franchise" qb coming out of college, falling to mid first kinda proves that too

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was so good every team with a dire need at QB passed on him, lol

Just a guy, nothing more nothing less. Never will be a difference maker but could be a good game manager. Not sure anyone had him as a "franchise" qb coming out of college, falling to mid first kinda proves that too
I dunno about every team with a dire need passing on him, or that being picked mid first proves anything
It was a seemingly QB heavy draft, everyone loved Lawrence and Zac WIlson..split opinions on Trey Lance, although up until draft day, SF was hedging between Lance and Jones. SO I guess it could be said that SF passed on him. I wouldn't/won't say it was a slight on Jones that Jax took Lawrence or that the Jets took Wilson. But after the Niners trade/pick of Lance, no QB desperate team picked again until Denver at #9, Carolina was still flirting with their former #1 Darnold, and Chicago took Feilds at 11, and we all know that they don't count when it comes to evaluating QB's anyways ;) Denver hasn't picked a decent QB in the draft since Elway either. Maybe Greise?

In most people's opinions, at least those that were reported on anyways, Mac was at worst the third best QB available in that draft, I don't hold it against him that a few known to be bad GM's took lesser options or otherwise passed.

Let not forget, every team passed on Brady 6 times, Dan Marino was the 6th QB taken in '83, many people thought Ryan Leaf was the better QB over Peyton Manning, every team passed on Drew Brees as he fell to the second-not to mention the team that drafted him tossed him aside, Romo and Warner undrafted completely. Chicago traded the farm to take Trubs and let Mahomes fall to ten, every team but one passed on Lamar, Josh Allen was the third QB taken in his draft. Falling into the middle first, or into the second, or even later..doesn't prove anything more than being drafted 1.1 does, which is nothing.

Now, I would agree that he's more than likely nothing more than a nice game manager, he's never going to be the guy that takes mediocre weapons and elevates them to studs, or at least I don' think he will be. But he's a helluvalot better than holding a clipboard for Bailey friggin Zappe.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago traded the farm to take Trubs and let Mahomes fall to ten
While this has been lamented at nauseum, it had come to light that only 2 NFL teams had Mahomes ranked #1 ahead of Trubisky and Watson. And one reason Mahomes "fell" to 10 was because the scouts knew most NFL teams did not see Mahomes as the #1.

So besides the obvious team of KC, care to guess who the other NFL team was that had Mahomes #1?

Sean Payton & the Saints

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this has been lamented at nauseum, it had come to light that only 2 NFL teams had Mahomes ranked #1 ahead of Trubisky and Watson. And one reason Mahomes "fell" to 10 was because the scouts knew most NFL teams did not see Mahomes as the #1.

So besides the obvious team of KC, care to guess who the other NFL team was that had Mahomes #1?

Sean Payton & the Saints
Fer sure, and I wasnt trying to beat a dead horse on that, just saying hindsigt is always 20/20, draft position just doesn't prove anything. Outside of the higher your drafted, the longer the leash, the more strikes you get, and your unitial contract, draft position means squat.

Wouldn't matter if Mac Jones was drafted #1, #15, or seventh round, he's still what he is. Same with Trubs, Mahomes, Brady, and everyone else

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno about every team with a dire need passing on him, or that being picked mid first proves anything
It was a seemingly QB heavy draft, everyone loved Lawrence and Zac WIlson..split opinions on Trey Lance, although up until draft day, SF was hedging between Lance and Jones. SO I guess it could be said that SF passed on him. I wouldn't/won't say it was a slight on Jones that Jax took Lawrence or that the Jets took Wilson. But after the Niners trade/pick of Lance, no QB desperate team picked again until Denver at #9, Carolina was still flirting with their former #1 Darnold, and Chicago took Feilds at 11, and we all know that they don't count when it comes to evaluating QB's anyways ;) Denver hasn't picked a decent QB in the draft since Elway either. Maybe Greise?

In most people's opinions, at least those that were reported on anyways, Mac was at worst the third best QB available in that draft, I don't hold it against him that a few known to be bad GM's took lesser options or otherwise passed.

Let not forget, every team passed on Brady 6 times, Dan Marino was the 6th QB taken in '83, many people thought Ryan Leaf was the better QB over Peyton Manning, every team passed on Drew Brees as he fell to the second-not to mention the team that drafted him tossed him aside, Romo and Warner undrafted completely. Chicago traded the farm to take Trubs and let Mahomes fall to ten, every team but one passed on Lamar, Josh Allen was the third QB taken in his draft. Falling into the middle first, or into the second, or even later..doesn't prove anything more than being drafted 1.1 does, which is nothing.

Now, I would agree that he's more than likely nothing more than a nice game manager, he's never going to be the guy that takes mediocre weapons and elevates them to studs, or at least I don' think he will be. But he's a helluvalot better than holding a clipboard for Bailey friggin Zappe.
So Mac is an unlucky Purdy?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man it's time for me to log out of the hoop for a while when we reached the "Mac is like Purdy" part of the fantasy off season, lol

One has a job, that's all the comparison needed

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man it's time for me to log out of the hoop for a while when we reached the "Mac is like Purdy" part of the fantasy off season, lol

One has a job, that's all the comparison needed
One has a job, and CMAC, and Kittle, and Ayuik, and Deebo, and the best offensive system in the league.

The other had Bill OBrien

I'll take Mac for better production if he was a Niner any day.

I mean if Barry is hands down better than Emmit because of the line, and Irvin, and Aikmen...well...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying intentionally to be argumentative, but the truth is, we have no idea what Mac would or would not do if he had a great team, and an offensive minded coaching staff (not stuck in the '00's), around him. The best offensive weapon he's had his entire career is a 4th round RB, or maybe a couple TE's who washed out with their original team. What we do know is that, as a rookie, with a decent OC, he was more successful than most anticipated he would be, and all he had to work with was Harris, Henry, Stevenson, Agholor and J. Meyers. And then it went to shit under Patricia and O'Brian

Likewise, we have no idea what Purdy would do without all the things he has, all we know is that he is very successful within that system.

I have very serious doubts that Purdy would be successful, at all, if he was in NE, in Mac's shoes, and pretty heavy confidence that Mac would be successful in SF. As good as Purdy? maybe not, but maybe so.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying intentionally to be argumentative, but the truth is, we have no idea what Mac would or would not do if he had a great team, and an offensive minded coaching staff (not stuck in the '00's), around him. The best offensive weapon he's had his entire career is a 4th round RB, or maybe a couple TE's who washed out with their original team. What we do know is that, as a rookie, with a decent OC, he was more successful than most anticipated he would be, and all he had to work with was Harris, Henry, Stevenson, Agholor and J. Meyers. And then it went to shit under Patricia and O'Brian

Likewise, we have no idea what Purdy would do without all the things he has, all we know is that he is very successful within that system.

I have very serious doubts that Purdy would be successful, at all, if he was in NE, in Mac's shoes, and pretty heavy confidence that Mac would be successful in SF. As good as Purdy? maybe not, but maybe so.

Purdy beat out JimmyG (led team to SB loss), Trey Lance (early 1st rd pick), and Sam Darnold (former early 1st rd pick) in order to earn his playing time.

Mac got beaten out by Bailey Zappe to lose his.

You would need to call a doctor after 6hrs if Mac ever put up the numbers Purdy did this season

1st in yards/att
4th in completion %
5th in yards
3rd in TDs
1st in QBR
#1 seed in NFC and playing in the conference championship game
---All in his first full year as the starter, talk about doing better than anyone expected!

Mac ain't magically doing all that just by switching teams.

Not sure if you're giving way too much credit to SF's staff or way too much credit to NWE's staff for the performances we've seen on the field.

Mac would be extremely lucky to have a Ryan Tannehill career arc moving forward, go somewhere new, have a lot of chips fall right, not be the focal point of the offense, maybe be a backend QB1 for a couple seasons for fantasy - if he's lucky. Maybe we'll get to use Baker as a better example but let's see him do it more than one season first.

Mac isn't competing/won't be competing with the QBs in the league right now for starting time, he'll be competing with future 1st and 2nd rd picks wherever he lands, and my money would be on the future draft picks

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy beat out JimmyG (led team to SB loss), Trey Lance (early 1st rd pick), and Sam Darnold (former early 1st rd pick) in order to earn his playing time.

Mac got beaten out by Bailey Zappe to lose his.

You would need to call a doctor after 6hrs if Mac ever put up the numbers Purdy did this season

1st in yards/att
4th in completion %
5th in yards
3rd in TDs
1st in QBR
#1 seed in NFC and playing in the conference championship game
---All in his first full year as the starter, talk about doing better than anyone expected!

Mac ain't magically doing all that just by switching teams.

Not sure if you're giving way too much credit to SF's staff or way too much credit to NWE's staff for the performances we've seen on the field.

Mac would be extremely lucky to have a Ryan Tannehill career arc moving forward, go somewhere new, have a lot of chips fall right, not be the focal point of the offense, maybe be a backend QB1 for a couple seasons for fantasy - if he's lucky. Maybe we'll get to use Baker as a better example but let's see him do it more than one season first.

Mac isn't competing/won't be competing with the QBs in the league right now for starting time, he'll be competing with future 1st and 2nd rd picks wherever he lands, and my money would be on the future draft picks
I would only say that Jimmy G beat his own ass out of a job by not being available... and if he can lead that team to the Super Bowl, and get benched in Vegas for Aiden O'Connell, with McD's, jacobs, and Adams ??? Yes, I give a metric shit ton of credit of credit to Shanny Jr and Co for Purdy's success.

Danged near all of it in fact. He just has to not screw it up.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong Purdy is a great story, he's smart, makes good reads, and is deadly accurate... usually. Doesn't throw many INT's.. Perfectly fine QB, would love to have him in Vegas throwing to Adams.

But there's nothing all that special about his game.

I'd also love to have Mac in Vegas throwing to Adams, he's smart, makes good reads, and is pretty damned accurate, doesn't throw many int's

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game, regardless of what game that one is, doesn't prove jack for anyone either way, but Purdy had moments of excellence, and moments of 'wtf are you thinking'. His biggest play wouldn't have counted in a round of horse without calling the bank shot

He does undoubtedly have one thing Squishy Mac doesn't though.. he can run around much better.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just trying to figure out how the hell the Chiefs are doing this again? I guess Kelce was just pacing himself late in the season, because he is back to being a beast. This is the 2nd straight year that in December it didn't look like they had any chance of even playing in the Super Bowl and now here we are again. Andy Reid gets a lot of credit for being a great coach, but he still might be underrated.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just trying to figure out how the hell the Chiefs are doing this again? I guess Kelce was just pacing himself late in the season, because he is back to being a beast. This is the 2nd straight year that in December it didn't look like they had any chance of even playing in the Super Bowl and now here we are again. Andy Reid gets a lot of credit for being a great coach, but he still might be underrated.
The Ravens did their part in gift wrapping the game as best as they could

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bills beat themselves. This was our year to overtake KC... it was gift wrapped... and we shit the bed. Missing our two best defenders but everyone is hurting in January.

Reid is one of the best.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys DC Dan Quinn conducted a second interview for the Commanders’ head-coaching vacancy Tuesday.

"We already knew the sides were talking, but it’s taken on greater meaning with the surprise news that Lions OC Ben Johnson, for some reason, doesn’t want the job. Quinn could be a decent turnaround artist from the perspective that he’s a player’s coach who should handle his side of the ball. He would also seem extremely unlikely to be the man to complete the gut-job rebuild Washington is embarking on."

I dunno about this take, but I think Quinn's gonna be the man for Washington next season.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys DC Dan Quinn conducted a second interview for the Commanders’ head-coaching vacancy Tuesday.

"We already knew the sides were talking, but it’s taken on greater meaning with the surprise news that Lions OC Ben Johnson, for some reason, doesn’t want the job. Quinn could be a decent turnaround artist from the perspective that he’s a player’s coach who should handle his side of the ball. He would also seem extremely unlikely to be the man to complete the gut-job rebuild Washington is embarking on."

I dunno about this take, but I think Quinn's gonna be the man for Washington next season.
I'd agree, and why couldn't he be the man on the 'gut-job rebuild"? Good defensive minded head coach, get the ship righted, find a good OC that can build an somewhat competent offense around mediocre or worse QB's, have a crap record next year, draft that QB high, and run with it in '25.

edited--just don't miss on that QB of the future, or they'll be doing it all over again within 3 years