• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expansion Eligibility, question

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been looking at the website, CapFriendly, to gauge expansion eligibility.

Example: Mersch is on the list of players on the Kings list who would need to be protected. However, he clearly will not play the 40 NHL games as the min. requirement. So, I get that Mersch would not qualify as one of the two required Forwards that have to be made available by each team to Vegas Expansion. But....

Question: Does a player in his situation still need to be protected??? (.... should a team value said player enough to protect him?)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mersch could be chosen as one of the 7F/3D/1G or 8S/1G to protect, but I doubt it unless they go the 7F route. With Mersch his age and ELC signing age (21) is what requires him to either be protected or exposed - same as Forbert.

I also didn't realize this until now but Forbert could be one of the defenders every team needs to expose, he has played in 59 games already this season (40 minimum as we know) and will be an RFA this summer so just an MQO would meet all the requirements. With Greene now ineligible it's either Forbert or McStiff.

Mersch will be an RFA with Arbitration Rights too so that needs to be taken into consideration. He has had his cup of coffee in the NHL but I don't know if I see enough yet to justify protecting him and using a spot.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Mersch could be chosen as one of the 7F/3D/1G or 8S/1G to protect, but I doubt it unless they go the 7F route. With Mersch his age and ELC signing age (21) is what requires him to either be protected or exposed - same as Forbert.

I also didn't realize this until now but Forbert could be one of the defenders every team needs to expose, he has played in 59 games already this season (40 minimum as we know) and will be an RFA this summer so just an MQO would meet all the requirements. With Greene now ineligible it's either Forbert or McStiff.

Mersch will be an RFA with Arbitration Rights too so that needs to be taken into consideration. He has had his cup of coffee in the NHL but I don't know if I see enough yet to justify protecting him and using a spot.
I'd take Mersh over Shore

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Mersh over Shore

I would too but the possibility of Lewis being claimed leaves a huge hole in the 3C and 4C slots. Shore is solid defensively but he cannot score into an empty net, plus he doesn't bring the speed Lewis does. I think Dowd is OK in those spots but neither is Lewis.

Mersch is a big body and protects the puck well, but I haven't see enough offensive skill in him to justify using a protected slot on him. So far I see D-White King the Second.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fair point, I don't want to lose Lewis especially at that price.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the window being slammed shut and locked if Lewis gets taken and everyone we hope gets picked stays.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful they would protect Mersch. But I wasn't sure if a player in that situation had to be protected first place.
I think some other teams might have more significant of those Mersch type situations.

No doubt they'll be teams making trades after the season is over, but before the Expansion Draft.