• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN investigates Maryland football program.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't change the fact that you were both wrong when you claimed the fan base was not there for basketball and they were playing to half empty arenas as @Hornsstampede2.0 had claimed.

And you don't know that they would not have made the move had they not been strapped for money. Any school regardless of their financial situation would have been crazy not to accept or at least strongly consider a deal that gave them such a huge financial windfall. There have been plenty of schools who changed leagues and it's not because they had to, it's because it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I guess I was just trying to compare it to what it was at Cole Field House. I've been to games at both venues and it feels like it doesn't compare to what it was then. Obviously the late 90's early 2000's were when the basketball program were at an all-time high, so that's probably something that isn't attainable anyways. They also came into the B1G at a pretty good time considering the league has been down the last couple of years.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I was just trying to compare it to what it was at Cole Field House. I've been to games at both venues and it feels like it doesn't compare to what it was then. Obviously the late 90's early 2000's were when the basketball program were at an all-time high, so that's probably something that isn't attainable anyways. They also came into the B1G at a pretty good time considering the league has been down the last couple of years.

I don't want to continue to be defensive in a thread about a horrible sitution involving my school. But I'm not going to let posters get away with posting inaccurate information either.

The TV announcers have said several times the crowd at Xfinity Center is the best in the Big Ten. The support at the new arena is great. Crowds are big and loud, attendance has not dropped as has been claimed, the arena is packed. It's just that simple.

Last edited:

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to continue to be defensive in a thread about a horrible sitution involving my school. But I'm not going to let posters get away with posting inaccurate information either.

The TV announcers have said several times the crowd at Xfinity Center is the best in the Big Ten. The support at the new arena is great. Crowds are big and loud, attendance has not dropped as has been claimed, the arena is packed. It's just that simple.
You are fucked! He knows
EI_150878_20130219_RA1_9860.jpg

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah getting back on topic I fear the other teams will suffer because of what happened with the football program and that's not fair.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And this past season the average attendance was 14,760. Like I said before the reason for the spike wasn't because of MD's move to the B1G, mostly because they were playing better/were more relevant nationally. But they couldn't even sell out against Michigan or Purdue, two top 10 teams. That just isn't happening against a Duke or UNC. I'm not here to bang on Maryland. After the Gophers they were the team I followed the most in the late 90's early 2000's, just because of proximity.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this past season the average attendance was 14,760. Like I said before the reason for the spike wasn't because of MD's move to the B1G, mostly because they were playing better/were more relevant nationally. But they couldn't even sell out against Michigan or Purdue, two top 10 teams. That just isn't happening against a Duke or UNC. I'm not here to bang on Maryland. After the Gophers they were the team I followed the most in the late 90's early 2000's, just because of proximity.

That is hardly a half empty arena and a program in 'shambles". Attendance has been very good since the move to the BIG, as well as the move to the new arena, which again is the exact opposite of what was claimed. Why do I need to continue to point this out? There is nothing wrong with the basketball program, in a down year they still drew 84% of capacity and that includes the crap games early in the season. As you said when they were playing well attendance and interest was very high in the previous few years.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is hardly a half empty arena and a program in 'shambles". Attendance has been very good since the move to the BIG, as well as the move to the new arena, which again is the exact opposite of what was claimed. Why do I need to continue to point this out? There is nothing wrong with the basketball program, in a down year they still drew 84% of capacity and that includes the crap games early in the season. As you said when they were playing well attendance and interest was very high in the previous few years.

I never said there was anything wrong with the bball program, I did see what the other guy said about them being in shambles. That I would disagree with. I was agreeing with him about the athletic department overall. And when I'm referring to the attendance, like I said, I guess I'm comparing it to when the program was at it's all time high and from what I remember what it was like at Cole. When I first started watching college bball, and actually being able to recollect on that, MD was essentially a top 5-8 program. Obviously it isn't that now, which is why I said those things about attendance and atmosphere.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said there was anything wrong with the bball program, I did see what the other guy said about them being in shambles. That I would disagree with. I was agreeing with him about the athletic department overall. And when I'm referring to the attendance, like I said, I guess I'm comparing it to when the program was at it's all time high and from what I remember what it was like at Cole. When I first started watching college bball, and actually being able to recollect on that, MD was essentially a top 5-8 program. Obviously it isn't that now, which is why I said those things about attendance and atmosphere.

You said "the fan base hasn't been there either, for both sports". You also claimed the environment is not the same at Infinity as it was at Cole and that's not true either. Again several (neutral) announcers said it was the best crowd in the BIG. And that's without the success they had in the early 2000's.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said "the fan base hasn't been there either, for both sports". You also claimed the environment is not the same at Infinity as it was at Cole and that's not true either. Again several (neutral) announcers said it was the best crowd in the BIG. And that's without the success they had in the early 2000's.

I'm neutral as well, I don't have an agenda towards MD or anything. I just don't think the atmosphere is the same. And for whatever reason they had to bring in an outside company to help generate interest a while back. Maybe that was just another mistake in a long line of administrative mistakes.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, can we kick Maryland out of the B1G for this? I think Rutgers is doing something shady too!!! Give them the boot as well!

B1G won't give those 2 up. They get NYC market (not as much as Syracuse but still) and Maryland comes with DC and Baltimore market.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G won't give those 2 up. They get NYC market (not as much as Syracuse but still) and Maryland comes with DC and Baltimore market.
I know — I was just joking.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest reason the B1G won't kick out Rutgers and Maryland is that they would have to renegotiate their TV contracts for substantially less, so the per-school payouts would drop. If that wasn't going to be the case, There would probably be huge pressure to contract the conference.

It's all about the Tubmans.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five questions about the Jordan McNair fallout at Maryland

Durkin’s contract indicates that he will be paid approximately $7.8 million between 2019 and 2021. If fired without cause, Durkin would receive 65% of that (about $5.1 million) plus 65% of any remaining pay in 2018.

Maryland’s approach to Durkin in the wake of the controversies is clearly designed to minimize opportunities for Durkin to later claim that he was treated unlawfully. Maryland knows that if it fires Durkin for cause, Durkin will consider suing the school for breach of contract and for other claims.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After undergoing various treatments while hospitalized, McNair passed away on June 13. Published reports indicate that the state medical examiner did not conduct an autopsy. This would mean, among other things, that medical professionals likely agreed on the cause of death and that the cause was not considered suspicious. A lack of autopsy also means that a forensic pathologist did not examine the organs in McNair’s body, a point that could become legally relevant should there be litigation over who was responsible for McNair’s death.

the norm that criminal law and football practices remain in separate universes.

It is thus very unlikely that McNair’s death will become a criminal matter.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad that when Texas and MD play there's going to be more talk about what's happening off the field than on it

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad that when Texas and MD play there's going to be more talk about what's happening off the field than on it
At least this will shift the focus off those god awful Maryland helmets to a small degree.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised this story is not getting more interest here. But it's Maryland Football and nobody cares about that so I guess it's understandable.

As for the firing question if it is found that the player did not receive adequate medical attention and that is why he died that sure sounds like it would fall under the guidelines of "for cause". I mean if that doesn't what does?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'UMD Killed My Nephew:' McNair's Uncle Speaks Out

"University of Maryland killed my nephew. Their training staff, them people, they killed my nephew," Terrant said.

McNair family attorney Billy Murphy Jr. said Sunday he's seen the preliminary death certificate and has concluded, "This is an obvious heatstroke case.''

"That style of coaching creates the belief that the player is malingering. He's a chump. He's a punk," said Murphy.

University of Maryland President Wallace Loh said in a statement that the school is committed to a safe and humane football program that supports student-athletes.

"Humiliating and demeaning a student is not only bad teaching and coaching, it is an abuse of the authority of a teacher and coach," Loh said.