• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(ESPN article) 5 Teams that Improved the Most from Draft

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are really two times during the year that NHL teams can improve fairly dramatically. The first just happened at the draft. The second is coming, in free agency.

And as good as some of the free agents are this year, no time is better for a franchise to make strides than draft week. So while we wait for the Steven Stamkos sweepstakes to heat up, here’s a look at the five teams that improved the most during draft week, via prospects and trades:

tor.png1. Toronto Maple Leafs

They landed Auston Matthews and now have a franchise center. They traded for Frederik Andersen and now have a legitimate starting goalkeeper. It takes all the pressure off GM Lou Lamoriello and his crew heading into free agency.

Stamkos would be icing on the cake, but the Maple Leafs no longer need him. They’re well on their way back into the playoff picture once their young players mature, particularly Matthews.

“Hockey is a team game, so there really is no savior,” Matthews said after being picked by Toronto. “I want to be an impact player. I believe I can be a franchise centerman, the No. 1 centerman in the NHL, so that’s my ultimate goal.”

cgy.png2. Calgary Flames

As he did last year, Flames GM Brad Treliving had a great draft weekend. While the Dougie Hamilton trade didn’t exactly pay off as we anticipated last season, there’s still time for that to happen, and there are those who believe Hamilton’s style of play will translate better in new coach Glen Gulutzan’s system.

The Flames didn’t overreach to fill their hole in goal by trading for Brian Elliott. The price was fair, and his contract is great. According to a source, the Flames are open to a contract extension but are perfectly comfortable bringing him in and seeing how he fits first. There isn’t a rush there.

The expectation is that Elliott will be a nice fit.

“I think [Elliott] has turned the corner,” one Eastern Conference NHL scout said. “I thought he was shielded by the St. Louis defense at first, but they gave up a lot in the playoffs. He was phenomenal. He won them some games.”

On top of landing a goalie, Treliving had the good fortune of getting Matthew Tkachuk. The Flames did a couple of internal projections at the top of the draft, including one with Columbus passing on Jesse Puljujarvi. Their projection had them getting Tkachuk in that scenario, and that’s exactly what happened.

Calgary very much has the look of a team headed back to the playoffs.

phi.png3. Philadelphia Flyers

When asked which team had the best draft weekend, a veteran scout didn’t even need the question to be finished before he answered.

“Philadelphia,” he said. “Hands down. He who gets the most best players wins. Philly was No. 1. Calgary and Carolina were tied for No. 2.”

The pick of German Rubtsov was a popular one among multiple executives.

“Rubtsov is a top-10 talent,” one NHL general manager said. “They got a good mix of skill and weighty players.”

edm.png4. Edmonton Oilers

As much as the Flames benefited from the Blue Jackets passing on Puljujarvi, the Oilers did even more.

With Puljujarvi, a winger who can play in the NHL immediately, Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli has all kinds of options moving forward on how he can upgrade his defense, including trading Taylor Hall.

“If it was me, I’d move Taylor Hall. I’d put the big fish out there and get myself a top defenseman while keeping the strength down the middle,” one source said.

Normally, trading one of the game's best young offensive producers isn’t a path to success, but in this case, it makes sense if the return is a top-pair defenseman.

Teams win with strength down the middle, and moving a winger would give the Oilers three centers in Connor McDavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl that would set them up for years.

Moreover, the addition of Puljujarvi would ease the pain of losing Hall.

“He’s going to play right away,” the source said of Puljujarvi. “I saw this kid at the U18s. I can’t believe [Columbus GM] Jarmo Kekalainen passed. He is a stud. They can plug him into Hall’s spot, and in a couple years, they won’t miss a beat.”

ari.png5. Arizona Coyotes

Those who thought the Coyotes didn’t get enough in return for taking on Pavel Datsyuk's contract are missing the big picture: Arizona had a heck of a draft week.

First, let’s start with the signing of Alex Goligoski. There were two defensemen on the free-agent market who were on their own tier at the top: Goligoski andKeith Yandle.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are really two times during the year that NHL teams can improve fairly dramatically. The first just happened at the draft. The second is coming, in free agency.

And as good as some of the free agents are this year, no time is better for a franchise to make strides than draft week. So while we wait for the Steven Stamkos sweepstakes to heat up, here’s a look at the five teams that improved the most during draft week, via prospects and trades:

View attachment 1326171. Toronto Maple Leafs

They landed Auston Matthews and now have a franchise center. They traded for Frederik Andersen and now have a legitimate starting goalkeeper. It takes all the pressure off GM Lou Lamoriello and his crew heading into free agency.

Stamkos would be icing on the cake, but the Maple Leafs no longer need him. They’re well on their way back into the playoff picture once their young players mature, particularly Matthews.

“Hockey is a team game, so there really is no savior,” Matthews said after being picked by Toronto. “I want to be an impact player. I believe I can be a franchise centerman, the No. 1 centerman in the NHL, so that’s my ultimate goal.”

View attachment 1326182. Calgary Flames

As he did last year, Flames GM Brad Treliving had a great draft weekend. While the Dougie Hamilton trade didn’t exactly pay off as we anticipated last season, there’s still time for that to happen, and there are those who believe Hamilton’s style of play will translate better in new coach Glen Gulutzan’s system.

The Flames didn’t overreach to fill their hole in goal by trading for Brian Elliott. The price was fair, and his contract is great. According to a source, the Flames are open to a contract extension but are perfectly comfortable bringing him in and seeing how he fits first. There isn’t a rush there.

The expectation is that Elliott will be a nice fit.

“I think [Elliott] has turned the corner,” one Eastern Conference NHL scout said. “I thought he was shielded by the St. Louis defense at first, but they gave up a lot in the playoffs. He was phenomenal. He won them some games.”

On top of landing a goalie, Treliving had the good fortune of getting Matthew Tkachuk. The Flames did a couple of internal projections at the top of the draft, including one with Columbus passing on Jesse Puljujarvi. Their projection had them getting Tkachuk in that scenario, and that’s exactly what happened.

Calgary very much has the look of a team headed back to the playoffs.

View attachment 1326193. Philadelphia Flyers

When asked which team had the best draft weekend, a veteran scout didn’t even need the question to be finished before he answered.

“Philadelphia,” he said. “Hands down. He who gets the most best players wins. Philly was No. 1. Calgary and Carolina were tied for No. 2.”

The pick of German Rubtsov was a popular one among multiple executives.

“Rubtsov is a top-10 talent,” one NHL general manager said. “They got a good mix of skill and weighty players.”

View attachment 1326204. Edmonton Oilers

As much as the Flames benefited from the Blue Jackets passing on Puljujarvi, the Oilers did even more.

With Puljujarvi, a winger who can play in the NHL immediately, Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli has all kinds of options moving forward on how he can upgrade his defense, including trading Taylor Hall.

“If it was me, I’d move Taylor Hall. I’d put the big fish out there and get myself a top defenseman while keeping the strength down the middle,” one source said.

Normally, trading one of the game's best young offensive producers isn’t a path to success, but in this case, it makes sense if the return is a top-pair defenseman.

Teams win with strength down the middle, and moving a winger would give the Oilers three centers in Connor McDavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl that would set them up for years.

Moreover, the addition of Puljujarvi would ease the pain of losing Hall.

“He’s going to play right away,” the source said of Puljujarvi. “I saw this kid at the U18s. I can’t believe [Columbus GM] Jarmo Kekalainen passed. He is a stud. They can plug him into Hall’s spot, and in a couple years, they won’t miss a beat.”

View attachment 1326215. Arizona Coyotes

Those who thought the Coyotes didn’t get enough in return for taking on Pavel Datsyuk's contract are missing the big picture: Arizona had a heck of a draft week.

First, let’s start with the signing of Alex Goligoski. There were two defensemen on the free-agent market who were on their own tier at the top: Goligoski andKeith Yandle.
Yeah buddy building for the future!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really nice to be the only playoff team in the top five of this list. They mention Rubtsov as a top ten talent and he who gets the most best players wins. Well, why were none of our other picks mentioned by name? Lol