• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins Trading the #3 Overall to the San Francisco 49ers

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe I am not the only not sold on Fields?
Idea any fan would be sold on him is odd (and I'm an OSU alum). After 1 and 1/2 seasons playing with usually superior talent, seeing no actual game film and never even getting to speak to the kid?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami wants Smith or chase at #6 and Harris at #18
Not sure I'd believe all (any?) the rumors. These guys are like the CIA when it comes to draft intel. and they probably should be.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Miami's moves. I think they maneuvered well. I don't like Philly trading down from 6 to 12 but we shall see who they land at 12, maybe it works out.
Right...really all just depends who they pick. I mean, the Browns trade down with Philly was obviously a wise move. Take Michael Thomas instead of Coleman and no one would disagree.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and teams answer "he better be because if you traded that much for a WR you're an idiot!!!"
Ya gotta love those reports.

Buffalo calls and says you can have Allen for Jimmy G and a 3rd and SF hangs up? Pretty much everyone is available for the right price.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tua is any good then the AFC is going to get wrecked with all of these top Miami picks. The last two teams to really load up like these were Tennessee who did everything they could to mess up every pick and Cleveland who is just now peaking. Miami is in a way better position than those two teams were.
Totally agree. Browns started this as a 3-13 that stripped it's roster. Miami already a borderline playoff team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a lot to give up. I am okay with it but if they screw this pick up then it will probably doom Shanahan/Lynch. Jimmy G will probably be back this coming season. At least the top names being mentioned need more experience and a season of sitting. Don't see them as day one starters. If they pick mac Jones than that was a bad move because they did not need to waste capital to get him at #3. I don't know who they are after. There isn't much out there being reported that I find credible as a source.
agree....though I wouldn't believe anything you read as far as who they want. They aren't letting others know. If anything, they'd send out smokescreens but not actual plans.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the compensation goes I'm fine with it as it's a pretty fair price for a #12 to #3 jump.

However it still makes you nervous because it's one thing to whiff on #3 but here if you whiff it's whiffing on 3 1st round picks and a 3rd which is a pretty big blow.

But for me I've always been one to want to be aggressive in getting a star QB because wants you get it, you basically punch your ticket into the playoffs every year, and you're always a contender to win it all. And you're usually set at the position for 15ish years.

Given the division where you have Wilson (for now at least), Kyler, and Stafford it's clear the 9ers had the worst QB and that's a tough hill to climb no matter how good the roster and coaching are. Ever team in the NFC West you can make a case a reasonable solid case for winning the division but being the worst at the most important position hurts your case.

This move tells me that they must love Wilson and another QB and that another QB is the one they probably predict will be there at #3. You just don't trade up this early before the draft that high up unless you're absolutely certain that the guy for sure that will be there you're 100% sold on.

So considering the 9ers are middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness with their picks a move like this tells me everyone in the building is all in for whoever the guys is.

My gut tells Trey Lance is the guy. To me it's just that type of boom or bust home run swing you make when you take a big swing like that. Not saying Trey Lance will be good as Mahomes but it's a similar situation in that if you hit on the kid than you really knock it out of the park.

I just don't see trading up that high for Mac Jones even though some reporters say don't rule it out. Wouldn't hate it but 3rd overall seems rich for Jones as my gut tells me he has a Derek Carr like ceiling.
great post. To me, a little unnerving if I'm a 49er fan as they could be getting their 3rd choice at QB which I doubt would work out in most drafts. That said, as you mentioned, something to be said for being aggressive. IF they get their guy and he's a stud that is definitely not too big a price to pay.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great post. To me, a little unnerving if I'm a 49er fan as they could be getting their 3rd choice at QB which I doubt would work out in most drafts. That said, as you mentioned, something to be said for being aggressive. IF they get their guy and he's a stud that is definitely not too big a price to pay.

If it was true that they're getting they're "3rd choice," they wouldn't have traded up. I'm guessing they know exactly who they'll be taking and he's the no. 1 guy they want. You don't pay that price for something you don't think highly of.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was true that they're getting they're "3rd choice," they wouldn't have traded up. I'm guessing they know exactly who they'll be taking and he's the no. 1 guy they want. You don't pay that price for something you don't think highly of.
You don't think they have Lawrence at #1? And suppose someone trades with the Jets and takes their #2 option? Say what ya will but it's certainly a real possibility they get their 3rd favorite QB.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u just never know

in 2018 jets traded up to get darnold at 3
bills traded up for allen at 7

mayfield went 1st to browns

for now allen looks like the best of that draft :suds:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont know who their choice is!!!!!
Thinking they are going to get their #1 is just as unsubstantiated as thinking they will have to settle for #3!!!!!

We dont know!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u just never know

in 2018 jets traded up to get darnold at 3
bills traded up for allen at 7

mayfield went 1st to browns

for now allen looks like the best of that draft :suds:
Maybe, but Baker looks like a fine pick, too. If he's a top 10 guy I'm good with it (even if allen is better).

No doubt we don't know how it will go but still fact it's very possible the best they can do is get their 3rd choice. But if he's a stud, I'm sure they'll be fine with that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking they are going to get their #1 is just as unsubstantiated as thinking they will have to settle for #3!!!!!

We dont know!
Exactly. why I said a big risk as they very likely could end up with their third choice. I have doubts the Jets have told them what they are doing and if anyone acquires that pick they probably wont share either until they make the pick.

wont stop others from saying they know though.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think they have Lawrence at #1? And suppose someone trades with the Jets and takes their #2 option? Say what ya will but it's certainly a real possibility they get their 3rd favorite QB.

You don’t have anyone at 1 on your board that’s definitely gone by the time your team picks. I’m guessing Lawrence isn’t on anyone’s board except Jacksonville’s. At least not on anyone’s “realistic” board.

And of course someone could move into the #2 pick and take who they’re expecting to get, but I have a feeling they have it on good authority that the Jets won’t be moving considering they probably have good communication with Saleh.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We dont know!

They traded for the #3 pick. They know exactly who they want and expect to get or they just wasted a bunch of first round picks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t have anyone at 1 on your board that’s definitely gone by the time your team picks. I’m guessing Lawrence isn’t on anyone’s board except Jacksonville’s. At least not on anyone’s “realistic” board.

And of course someone could move into the #2 pick and take who they’re expecting to get, but I have a feeling they have it on good authority that the Jets won’t be moving considering they probably have good communication with Saleh.
are you being serious? No one is definitely gone. Of course they have Lawrence on their board. But even if you don't think he's on their actual board there is still a very real possibility they are, at best, getting who they think is the 3rd best QB in the draft.

I'm saying it was a mistake, but it is a big risk. That said, if whoever they take is a stud it will have been well worth it.