• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers Offseason To-Do List, 2015/16

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take this one. :suds:

Yes. Ethier has spent more time being bad than being good. Last year was a huge surprise and I don't know confident to feel about his ability to replicate that. Have you ever realized that Ethier is actually a month older than Adrian Gonzalez? Makes me worry.

Van Slyke is fine in a platoon.

Crawford is like 3 years overdue for a money-eating trade. Schebler would be due for his spot but he was involved in the trade with Peraza (and that's cool). But still. A kid (platoon split lefty from the minors) can do his job (split with SVS).

He's never been a regular. I worry about his ability to stay healthy and productive with a full-season of usage thrust upon him when there isn't a suitable back-up plan if he pulls a hammy or something.

I agree that 2B shouldn't be an issue between Kike and Utley. But then if Kike is doing the platoon with Utley, Pederson is gonna have to face lefties. IDK if I believe in him yet.

If the Dodgers wants to platoon 2B and CF again, that'll be up to Trayce Thompson to be the other half of CF. That's quite the roll of the dice, but if rumors are true, the defense won't suffer.

Yeah, I agree. Rumors of the starting rotation's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

No one believes me that the Dodgers ended the season with a good pen. And it didn't get worse this winter, either. If anything, it got stronger if Montas moves to relief as many think he will.

I'll drink to that. :suds: Congrats on Cueto, condolences on Samardzija

I always thought Van Slyke got shafted for PT and think he is capable of a bigger role then he has been given...but that's just me.

Peterson needs to battle it out and get the ABs. He's clearly the best defensive CF on your roster. Give him the starting job, tell him that he's only coming on for occasional breathers here and there and let him learn how to make adjustments at the ML level while batting him lower in the lineup. He is a talent...he'll figure it out.
Ethier wasn't given a real chance in 2014 IIRC and he was pretty solid in 2015. Injuries have been his achilles heel but he's a professional hitter who isn't terrible with the leather, just doesn't have the range he once had.

Crawford was the laughable part of the BOS trade to me and as I'm typing this email, he just got put back on the shelf for strained retinas. He is a solid 4th OF.

Puig does what Puig wants...maybe he gets his head out of his ass. I'm guessing not, but his talent is undeniable and his contract is on the cheap.

Utley is perfectly capable of playing 2b every day with occasional breathers. Kike can still platoon primarily in the OF if need be.

Speaking of backup plans, couldn't Kike play 3b if push came to shove? Yes, Turner was hobbled by the end, but he was still playing at an All Star level for much of last season.

Thank you for Cueto but I think Scrabble will prove some people wrong. Word is that he was tipping pitches and once he figured that out towards the end of last season, he was pretty damn good. We got one of the best pitching coaches in MLB in Righetti. If there is anyone who can work out kinks in the mechanics, it's that guy.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Slyke is a starter on many teams. It is known.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still wish they'd trade Ethier for whatever and sign Upton but still isn't happening

damnit this offseason needs to hurry up so we can quit repeating ourselves here

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beachy is back on another no-risk/high-upside deal. I hope it works out for the better this time.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maeda deal being held up after physical, he will reportedly need Tommy John at some point in the future. Guess it's time to cross your fingers and hope it won't be needed for the next couple of years.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maeda deal being held up after physical, he will reportedly need Tommy John at some point in the future. Guess it's time to cross your fingers and hope it won't be needed for the next couple of years.
Where is that being reported?

Every report I see is saying that he's getting a press conference tomorrow at 1pm.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maeda seems like a really cool dude via that press conference

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Van Slyke got shafted for PT and think he is capable of a bigger role then he has been given...but that's just me.

Peterson needs to battle it out and get the ABs. He's clearly the best defensive CF on your roster. Give him the starting job, tell him that he's only coming on for occasional breathers here and there and let him learn how to make adjustments at the ML level while batting him lower in the lineup. He is a talent...he'll figure it out.

Ethier wasn't given a real chance in 2014 IIRC and he was pretty solid in 2015. Injuries have been his achilles heel but he's a professional hitter who isn't terrible with the leather, just doesn't have the range he once had.

Crawford was the laughable part of the BOS trade to me and as I'm typing this email, he just got put back on the shelf for strained retinas. He is a solid 4th OF.

Puig does what Puig wants...maybe he gets his head out of his ass. I'm guessing not, but his talent is undeniable and his contract is on the cheap.

Utley is perfectly capable of playing 2b every day with occasional breathers. Kike can still platoon primarily in the OF if need be.

Speaking of backup plans, couldn't Kike play 3b if push came to shove? Yes, Turner was hobbled by the end, but he was still playing at an All Star level for much of last season.

Thank you for Cueto but I think Scrabble will prove some people wrong. Word is that he was tipping pitches and once he figured
that out towards the end of last season, he was pretty damn good. We got one of the best pitching coaches in MLB in Righetti. If there is anyone who can work out kinks in the mechanics, it's that guy.

Well being a Giant fan I guess it's easy to come on here and think that we are ok, obviously you don't follow us as closely as Dodger fans do. As far as some other fans on here, they always think we are better than we are, because they are blinded!

You don't think we have question marks, really, you just said Puig was a head case, and he has been average since his first year, that is a proven fact, along with being hurt, that's not a question mark?

Either played well as a platoon player last year, was one of his better years in a few years, can he replicate that? Don't know , so that's a question mark?

Peterson played well the first half, and he and the coaches couldn't get it figured out in the second half, does he have talent, absolutely! But will he figure it out, huge question mark?

A couple years ago, Cruz played well and was anointed our third baseman based on one year, what did he do that year and where is he now? Kiki filled in and did a great job, While I like Kiki he has proven nothing, so that's a question mark? Utley, please, the guy is old and has seen his better days, and he hit .202 for us, after hitting .217 for Philly, question mark,????.?

I agree with Villian (there a first time for everything), I thought our bullpen played much better the second half, and they are young and with better managing they should be better, but again we don't know?

We picked up some decent starting pitching late, but all of you are nuts if you don't think some guy that has never pitched in the majors, let alone in the US is not a question mark? Kazmer had a good year, but has also proven to be injury prone, along with RYU, Anderson, and McCarthy, these aren't question marks? Really, keep drinking the koolaid and keeping believing in miracles!

While Seegar looks like the real deal, it was one small sample, lots of studs flamed out just as quickly as they got here!

We could win if this all works out for us, but don't tell me that all these question marks are not question marks?

The only spots with out question are Kershaw, Jansen,and Gonzo, they have proven it year in and year out

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article sounds like shit in terms of Maeda's health

Although Maeda seems confident it will be a non factor. Let's hope.
That's why the deal is structured the way it is. The Dodgers have basically no risk here. For what it's worth, Maeda has never had an injury related to those concerns. He could just be one of those weird people where the conventional expectation doesn't apply - and he seems to believe it so that's why he took the deal he got.

I'm not that worried about it, but then my hopes for him are pretty low.

Here's a fun read about the way this roster is constructed: Dodgers Digest / It’s Actually Not Hard To Piece Together 162 Starts From This Rotation

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the deal is structured the way it is. The Dodgers have basically no risk here. For what it's worth, Maeda has never had an injury related to those concerns. He could just be one of those weird people where the conventional expectation doesn't apply - and he seems to believe it so that's why he took the deal he got.

I'm not that worried about it, but then my hopes for him are pretty low.

Here's a fun read about the way this roster is constructed: Dodgers Digest / It’s Actually Not Hard To Piece Together 162 Starts From This Rotation

Well even if he needs surgery I'm not saying it's a bad contract, I'm just saying I think he'll be a good pitcher so I want him healthy lol

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well being a Giant fan I guess it's easy to come on here and think that we are ok, obviously you don't follow us as closely as Dodger fans do. As far as some other fans on here, they always think we are better than we are, because they are blinded!

You don't think we have question marks, really, you just said Puig was a head case, and he has been average since his first year, that is a proven fact, along with being hurt, that's not a question mark?

Either played well as a platoon player last year, was one of his better years in a few years, can he replicate that? Don't know , so that's a question mark?

Peterson played well the first half, and he and the coaches couldn't get it figured out in the second half, does he have talent, absolutely! But will he figure it out, huge question mark?

A couple years ago, Cruz played well and was anointed our third baseman based on one year, what did he do that year and where is he now? Kiki filled in and did a great job, While I like Kiki he has proven nothing, so that's a question mark? Utley, please, the guy is old and has seen his better days, and he hit .202 for us, after hitting .217 for Philly, question mark,????.?

I agree with Villian (there a first time for everything), I thought our bullpen played much better the second half, and they are young and with better managing they should be better, but again we don't know?

We picked up some decent starting pitching late, but all of you are nuts if you don't think some guy that has never pitched in the majors, let alone in the US is not a question mark? Kazmer had a good year, but has also proven to be injury prone, along with RYU, Anderson, and McCarthy, these aren't question marks? Really, keep drinking the koolaid and keeping believing in miracles!

While Seegar looks like the real deal, it was one small sample, lots of studs flamed out just as quickly as they got here!

We could win if this all works out for us, but don't tell me that all these question marks are not question marks?

The only spots with out question are Kershaw, Jansen,and Gonzo, they have proven it year in and year out

Your response is ridiculous. First, I live in LA and my wife and her entire family are Dodger fans so I'm not your typical Giants fan who only sees them play if they are on ESPN or playing the Giants in SF. Second, your doom and gloom stance is a joke. So unless they are an All Star, you question them? That's a crock of shit. JP Howell has been solid. Kendrick is now back manning 2B and he is nothing if not consistent. Turner has been good for two full seasons and there are teams that would give their left nut for him to play on their team. Your pitching staff is good when healthy as is your lineup. I'm getting bored naming Dodgers so I'll stop there.

EVERY team has question marks but when most of your question marks pertain to health, there is nothing you can do but play it out. Most of your team will start ST healthy. On paper, which is what this is, your team is solid. If you want to get your panties in a bunch over stupid hypotheticals that haven't happened yet, feel free. But yours must be a pretty miserable existence.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your response is ridiculous. First, I live in LA and my wife and her entire family are Dodger fans so I'm not your typical Giants fan who only sees them play if they are on ESPN or playing the Giants in SF. Second, your doom and gloom stance is a joke. So unless they are an All Star, you question them? That's a crock of shit. JP Howell has been solid. Kendrick is now back manning 2B and he is nothing if not consistent. Turner has been good for two full seasons and there are teams that would give their left nut for him to play on their team. Your pitching staff is good when healthy as is your lineup. I'm getting bored naming Dodgers so I'll stop there.

EVERY team has question marks but when most of your question marks pertain to health, there is nothing you can do but play it out. Most of your team will start ST healthy. On paper, which is what this is, your team is solid. If you want to get your panties in a bunch over stupid hypotheticals that haven't happened yet, feel free. But yours must be a pretty miserable existence.
I was reading this like... wtf? Whose response? Then I remembered that I have smed on ignore hahaha

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are we doing on my list?

1. New Manager and coaching staff - duh.

Check. I think we're all okay with Roberts.

2. Top-shelf starting pitcher (or two!) - Greinke, Price, Cueto, et al. McCarthy and Ryu don't look to be ready in time. July/August for McCarthy, May/June for Ryu (that's wild speculation). Frias and Bolsinger are not the answer. Julio Urias, Jose De Leon, and Jharel Cotton aren't ready yet. Yadier Alvarez (that Cuban teenager) - I have no idea what's going on with him or how far away he is from the bigs. Brett Anderson and Alex Wood are great for the back-end of the rotation. Neither are #2 guys.

Kazmir and Maeda. Not what we all wanted, but it seems palatable.

3. The Bullpen - Always and forever. This winter starts with a decent foundation, but can still use improvement. From free agency there's Darren O'Day AKA right-handed JP Howell. That'd be a fun combo to hove both of those guys. Help can, and probably will, also come to BP from trades, the farm (Chris Anderson, no longer a starter?), and of course the multitude of NRI guys who come around in spring training.

Joe Blanton? :lol:

4. First base - WTF First base? Adrian Gonzalez is steady year-in-and-year-out! Yeah, well, he's getting older and there's no one behind him besides Scott Van Slyke, Justin Turner, and Yasmani Grandal and none of them are probably the right answer. Dodgers need to be ready in case Adrian gets hurt or his age arrives like a freight train.

Dear Adrian, please never get hurt.

5. TOO MANY OUTFIELDERS!!! Yes, this again. Carl Crawford and Ethier. One or both have to go. Scott Schebler is ready. Puig should be healthy. Joc Pederson will probably rebound into a serviceable CF that straddles the two extremes from his rookie year - he will probably not be the First Half "All-Star Slugger" or the Second Half "All-Glove Strikeout Monster" but rather something between and I'm sure we'll all be happy with that.

:shrug:

6. AJ Ellis - What's the plan, man? You still playing? Austin Barnes is ready.

Looks like another year of #PersonalCatcher for Clayton.

7. Corey Seager's Statue - Has to be carved out of marble, right? Should it be up by the Top Deck or somewhere down by one of the outfield entrances? Carved by an American or some weirdo artisan guy from Italy? Or maybe it could be bronze? Is he hitting or fielding or having his arm around some cute kid that's looking up to his hero?

Like the pitchers, we didn't get what we really wanted, but Vin Scully Ave seems good enough to address this list item. :suds:

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you live in La, ok I will concede that! The rest of your response is also ridiculous, ok getting Kendrick back helps greatly, because Kiki and Utley were not the answer, so that response was before Kendrick signed! So do tell me how are outfield looks, you can't tell me Peterson will be the real deal, I hope he is, but let's face it he struggled mightily and didn't figure it out, what exactly has Puig done since his rookie year, ya the guy has unlimited potential, potential gets you squat! Either played Ok in a platoon role, I like the guy but hasn't really done much for a few years now.
Our pitching staff has potential, what have they done other than Kershaw? I've always liked Howell and also think he is solid, unlike Villian who was ripping him most of last year, because he doesn't have a clue!
Turner has been solid, but you're nuts if you think teams would give up a nut for him, solid player, nothing great!

So you can throw out all the BS you want about how solid our team is, but please tell me what makes us as good or better than last year. Don't just throw shit out there like Villian does about how "you think" this or that player is better than he actually is!

Been a Dodger fan for over 55 years, I can tell when we have a good team or not, this team could do something if EVERYTHING goes right for them, but they aren't as good as last year. My brother is a Giant fan, so I also follow them closely, they are looking better than we are, they made some nice moves, but as with any team they still have to get the job done.
So you can look at your"on paper" crap all you want, Im not all doom and gloom that you are making me out to be, I'VE SAID we have some good young players, we also have some players with potential, I've also said I think our bullpen isn't as bad as many on here have said, but we also have players that just aren't that good.

It's called being realistic! And just an FYI, my panties aren't in a bunch, that would be your boy Villian, that gets upset when challenged or proven wrong and takes his ball and goes home!

My life is great, do what I want, golf every day, but thanks for your concern!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you live in La, ok I will concede that! The rest of your response is also ridiculous, ok getting Kendrick back helps greatly, because Kiki and Utley were not the answer, so that response was before Kendrick signed! So do tell me how are outfield looks, you can't tell me Peterson will be the real deal, I hope he is, but let's face it he struggled mightily and didn't figure it out, what exactly has Puig done since his rookie year, ya the guy has unlimited potential, potential gets you squat! Either played Ok in a platoon role, I like the guy but hasn't really done much for a few years now.
Our pitching staff has potential, what have they done other than Kershaw? I've always liked Howell and also think he is solid, unlike Villian who was ripping him most of last year, because he doesn't have a clue!
Turner has been solid, but you're nuts if you think teams would give up a nut for him, solid player, nothing great!

So you can throw out all the BS you want about how solid our team is, but please tell me what makes us as good or better than last year. Don't just throw shit out there like Villian does about how "you think" this or that player is better than he actually is!

Been a Dodger fan for over 55 years, I can tell when we have a good team or not, this team could do something if EVERYTHING goes right for them, but they aren't as good as last year. My brother is a Giant fan, so I also follow them closely, they are looking better than we are, they made some nice moves, but as with any team they still have to get the job done.
So you can look at your"on paper" crap all you want, Im not all doom and gloom that you are making me out to be, I'VE SAID we have some good young players, we also have some players with potential, I've also said I think our bullpen isn't as bad as many on here have said, but we also have players that just aren't that good.

It's called being realistic! And just an FYI, my panties aren't in a bunch, that would be your boy Villian, that gets upset when challenged or proven wrong and takes his ball and goes home!

My life is great, do what I want, golf every day, but thanks for your concern!

Go position by position and explain to me what your beef is:

C Grandel, All Star #'s prior to injury
1B A-Gon
2B Kendrick
SS Seager, talent up the wazoo, bat him 7th and let him grow
3B Turner, All Star #'s prior to injury
LF Crawford/Van Slyke, that platoon actually works believe it or not
CF Peterson, he needs to bat 8th and be allowed to make adjustments through slumps...and NOT do the HR Derby
RF Ethier/Puig, that platoon actually works as well.

SP is Kershaw and a bunch of #3's. McCarthy and Ryu probably not ready by Opening Day but there is depth.

Your RP was young and inexperienced last year but gained a year of experience as well as postseason exp.

Your minor league system has some top shelf talent.

If you are comparing the Dodgers' offseason to the Giants, then you are right. It wasn't as good in comparison. But it doesn't mean the team is suddenly shit.