• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers Offseason To-Do List, 2015/16

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're completely blinded by fandom if you think the Dodgers are favorites for the division. I'm not saying that they can't compete, but if SF stays healthy and AZs pitching improves (because they can take), this division is dog fight.

Dog fight, at this moment, yes. Dodgers (with no other changes) as a clear bet for 3rd place? Nah.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to take the chance on Maeda. I know most scouts see him as a 3/4 starter but their is some possibility he out performs that. I don't remember Ryu having over the top raving remarks and he came out and pitched like a definite #2. (Please come back healthy Ryu)

I'd also like this contingent we also upgrade the lineup and or bullpen along with Maeda.

I agree with you 100%. There is little down side to signing Maeda. We don't give up a pick, we don't lose prospects and he is young and healthy. Is he an ace, no, but he won't cost an arm and a leg and we keep the farm in check. We have had a tremendous amount of success with Japanese pitchers and he should be the next in line.

We can then move to address the bullpen and offense. We can swing a trade for a bat and then a solid bullpen arm and we should be ready to go.

Kershaw
Iwakuma
Ryu
Maeda
Wood

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To do list: anything?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, the Dodgers are stock piling farm talent. They have an objective to sustain the team over the long term and not constantly endure cyclical rebuilds that small market teams rely upon.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're completely blinded by fandom if you think the Dodgers are favorites for the division. I'm not saying that they can't compete, but if SF stays healthy and AZs pitching improves (because they can take), this division is dog fight.

I agree, its obvious we have some Homers on here that are blind to the fact that we currently aren't as good as we were last year, who cant see that?
Arizona also played well down the stretch last year and they have improved, that's also obvious!
The Giants had issues with their rotation, they have addressed that, they also have some young players that played well last year and they will be getting injured players back, its obvious, they look like they have improved.

some on here even think that signing a 37 year old Utley and sharing 2nd with whoever, we will be ok and good enough to offset losing Kendrick, if we don't resign him? Ya his splits with Phil/LA, 217/202, that's not good!

then theres others who are counting on Peterson, Puig, and Grandal, all coming back and having good years. They may or may not, but you cant count on all that going right, on top of your starting rotation not being as good? that's a perfect storm, could happen, unlikely?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No other teams have ? marks?
What does your comment even mean? Yes, there are teams that have far superior starting rotations than the Dodgers. Brett Anderson stands as the #2 starter.

Your logic is baffling: other teams have weaknesses so it's okay if our team does too. Huh?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does your comment even mean? Yes, there are teams that have far superior starting rotations than the Dodgers. Brett Anderson stands as the #2 starter.

Your logic is baffling: other teams have weaknesses so it's okay if our team does too. Huh?

Ya, I don't think other "contending " teams have the amount of question marks that we do!, "hoping" that we find at least 2, let alone 1 quality starters at this point for our pitching is asking alot, on top of "hoping" that Pederson, Puig, and Grandal bounce back, and we plug the hole at 2nd base, and "hope" that Either (or someone) else can have a decent year, and "hope" that Turner continues to play at the level he has!

But other than those issues, were looking pretty good, at least compared to other teams????

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, every team has question marks, I just find it comical the nancy's are only going to point out ours.

And no Brett Anderson isn't going to be our #2, you want to believe that I guess because it makes the team sound worse.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As things stand now, the Dodgers don't look like a playoff team, but there is time to add players who should bolster the Dodgers' chances. So, if the Dodgers add another SP or two and a couple of Relief Pitchers, I think they'll have a solid chance of making the playoffs. I'd also like to see them bring in a bonafide 2B.

2016 will be a dogfight. I'm hoping for big things from Seager and better hitting from Joc Pederson. Like always, keeping guys healthy is critical.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As things stand now, the Dodgers don't look like a playoff team, but there is time to add players who should bolster the Dodgers' chances. So, if the Dodgers add another SP or two and a couple of Relief Pitchers, I think they'll have a solid chance of making the playoffs. I'd also like to see them bring in a bonafide 2B.

2016 will be a dogfight. I'm hoping for big things from Seager and better hitting from Joc Pederson. Like always, keeping guys healthy is critical.

I disagree with the bolded. The Dodgers still have the best pitcher on the planet and a solid lineup with an average pen, backed by one of the best farm systems in baseball on paper. They should be in contention AT WORST for a Wild Card, barring injury. IMO the Dodgers need to shit or get off the pot with more of their prospects. So far, Joc has shown to be the best defensive CF on their roster with a bat that needs to catch up. Seeger looks to be a stud. Why the Dodgers didn't bring up Urias as a September call-up and possibly breathe life coming out of the pen for the post season a la K-Rod circa 2002 is beyond me. De Leon? Peraza?

And this is coming from a Giants fan....now, if you will excuse you, I'm going to go throw up right quick.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the bolded. The Dodgers still have the best pitcher on the planet and a solid lineup with an average pen, backed by one of the best farm systems in baseball on paper. They should be in contention AT WORST for a Wild Card, barring injury. IMO the Dodgers need to shit or get off the pot with more of their prospects. So far, Joc has shown to be the best defensive CF on their roster with a bat that needs to catch up. Seeger looks to be a stud. Why the Dodgers didn't bring up Urias as a September call-up and possibly breathe life coming out of the pen for the post season a la K-Rod circa 2002 is beyond me. De Leon? Peraza?

And this is coming from a Giants fan....now, if you will excuse you, I'm going to go throw up right quick.

Peraza was traded to the Reds in the Montas deal.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with the additions of Kazmir and Maeda our rotation is going to be really good top to bottom with all that depth too. The lineup is kind of high risk/high potential, but generally I think it'll be fine, even though I wanted to add a LF'er, that doesn't look likely at this point, but I think we'll be fine.

The last thing that I think we have to accomplish is to trade for a back end reliever, I don't think our bullpen is in bad shape as it stands but they've shown the desire to add another legit reliever and I'm all for that to make us even deeper. Would feel really really good if they can accomplish that too.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that make my point any less valid to you?

Yes, LF, CF, RF, all question marks? 2nd base question mark? Turner had one good year at 3rd, does that translate into another? Question mark?

We do have the best starting pitcher in baseball, the rest are all question marks? Young releif pitchers that had their moments, question marks?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, LF, CF, RF, all question marks? 2nd base question mark? Turner had one good year at 3rd, does that translate into another? Question mark?

We do have the best starting pitcher in baseball, the rest are all question marks? Young releif pitchers that had their moments, question marks?

Ethier, Puig, Peterson, Crawford, Van Slyke cover your OF, with R/L splits included in there. You really think this is a question mark?

Turner has had two solid seasons, with last year being a great year. Why is he suddenly a question mark?

2b is a question mark, but IIRC you guys resigned Utley and Kike Hernandez seemed to play pretty well for you guys last season.

Talent of your rotation is not in question, their respective health is. If Urias is close to being ready, then this is more of a non-issue then anything based on sheer quantity.

Your pen is the only true question mark but I really believe that your pen's ineptitude was directly connected to Mattingly's unwillingness to give guys consistent roles within the pen. Obviously Jansen is a stud but there were other guys that seemed to step up towards the end of the season. Overpay to get a dependable arm or two in the pen and give everyone roles that are predictable through the flow of the game and suddenly guys answer the bell.

I can't figure out if your response was sarcasm or doom and gloom. Either way, both are unnecessary.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ethier, Puig, Peterson, Crawford, Van Slyke cover your OF, with R/L splits included in there. You really think this is a question mark?

Turner has had two solid seasons, with last year being a great year. Why is he suddenly a question mark?

2b is a question mark, but IIRC you guys resigned Utley and Kike Hernandez seemed to play pretty well for you guys last season.

Talent of your rotation is not in question, their respective health is. If Urias is close to being ready, then this is more of a non-issue then anything based on sheer quantity.

Your pen is the only true question mark but I really believe that your pen's ineptitude was directly connected to Mattingly's unwillingness to give guys consistent roles within the pen. Obviously Jansen is a stud but there were other guys that seemed to step up towards the end of the season. Overpay to get a dependable arm or two in the pen and give everyone roles that are predictable through the flow of the game and suddenly guys answer the bell.

I can't figure out if your response was sarcasm or doom and gloom. Either way, both are unnecessary.

Don't pay attention to him, he's one of our Montalbans on these boards.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take this one. :suds:

Yes. Ethier has spent more time being bad than being good. Last year was a huge surprise and I don't know confident to feel about his ability to replicate that. Have you ever realized that Ethier is actually a month older than Adrian Gonzalez? Makes me worry.

Van Slyke is fine in a platoon.

Crawford is like 3 years overdue for a money-eating trade. Schebler would be due for his spot but he was involved in the trade with Peraza (and that's cool). But still. A kid (platoon split lefty from the minors) can do his job (split with SVS).

He's never been a regular. I worry about his ability to stay healthy and productive with a full-season of usage thrust upon him when there isn't a suitable back-up plan if he pulls a hammy or something.

I agree that 2B shouldn't be an issue between Kike and Utley. But then if Kike is doing the platoon with Utley, Pederson is gonna have to face lefties. IDK if I believe in him yet.

If the Dodgers wants to platoon 2B and CF again, that'll be up to Trayce Thompson to be the other half of CF. That's quite the roll of the dice, but if rumors are true, the defense won't suffer.

Yeah, I agree. Rumors of the starting rotation's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

No one believes me that the Dodgers ended the season with a good pen. And it didn't get worse this winter, either. If anything, it got stronger if Montas moves to relief as many think he will.

I'll drink to that. :suds: Congrats on Cueto, condolences on Samardzija