• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers Offseason To-Do List, 2015/16

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants offseason is a giant dice roll.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go position by position and explain to me what your beef is:

C Grandel, All Star #'s prior to injury
1B A-Gon
2B Kendrick
SS Seager, talent up the wazoo, bat him 7th and let him grow
3B Turner, All Star #'s prior to injury
LF Crawford/Van Slyke, that platoon actually works believe it or not
CF Peterson, he needs to bat 8th and be allowed to make adjustments through slumps...and NOT do the HR Derby
RF Ethier/Puig, that platoon actually works as well.

SP is Kershaw and a bunch of #3's. McCarthy and Ryu probably not ready by Opening Day but there is depth.
Your RP was young and inexperienced last year but gained a year of experience as well as postseason exp.

Your minor league system has some top shelf talent.

If you are comparing the Dodgers' offseason to the Giants, then you are right. It wasn't as good in comparison. But it doesn't mean the team is suddenly shit.

No where did I say our team is suddenly shit. And yes I am comparing what other teams have done to improve themselves while we haven't! I'm just trying to tell some of these homers on here that we aren't as good as they think we are, do we have some talent, absolutely, if things go right for us can we still win, absolutely!
As I said I'm realistic. Was Grandal having a good first half, yes, does it translate to a full season injury or not, that's to be seen?
Crawford/VanSllke platoon is average, Either/Puig platoon, really, that shouldn't even be a platoon, it's time for Puig to get his head out of his ass and be the player that has shown flashes, but he hasn't done it!
Ya Seager does have talent and potential up the wazoo, played great the last month of season, but even then teams started getting him out. If he even ends up being average he is better than what we have had at shortstop. Peterson had a whole half year to figure it out and he didn't, hope he does, but he may never. There are tons of young guys with talent up the wazoo and potential that never pan out. You can't pin your hopes on "I hope this guy figures it out, I hope this guy is the real thing, I hope these two guys can put two halves together.
I've already agreed with you that our bullpen is fine, I think ? I also agree that we have depth at starting pitching, we also had that last year, it's not great depth, but a bunch of decent pitchers, alot of who have had a injury history, that's not good when it comes to pitchers?
We've been a good team the last three years, so I'm not doom and gloom, we had a chance and I think we had the best team a couple of those years, the playoffs just didn't break our way!

Let's compare
Duffy/Turner. I'd take Duffy over Turner
Crawford/Seager. While Seager has talent, who's more solid right now, Crawford is
Tomlinson-Panik/ Kendrick. Only taking Kendrick because same as with Crawford above
Belt/Gonzo. Would take Gonzo but not by as much as you think, alot of his numbers came early and he is getting older
Posey/Grandal. Not even worth saying why Posey is better! Best cathcer in league
LF is a wash
Span/Pederson While Joc has potential, Span is a proven center fielder
Pence/ Puig Puig is same as Joc, but would go with Pence who is a gamer!

Starting pitching, give SF the edge
Releif pitching, La edge
Bench La edge

Only giving you these comparisons, because while I think SF is a solid team, I don't think they are a great team, but theyRe better than LA at this point. So don't give me that crap that I'm a downer, I thought LA had a better team than SF the past few years, yet Sf has won WS's, best team doesnt always win, the 88Dodgers proved that, they weren't even the best teaming the NL, but shit happens!

I think we have a decent team, just not a championship team, we have way to many question marks whether you believe it or not!

Last edited:

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why Villian has no credibility. Really SF offseason is a Giant dice roll, yet he thinks we did just fine? Span, solid addition, Cueto should be a solid number 2, Jeff S. Is hit or miss, but should at least give Giants some innings.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No where did I say our team is suddenly shit. And yes I am comparing what other teams have done to improve themselves while we haven't! I'm just trying to tell some of these homers on here that we aren't as good as they think we are, do we have some talent, absolutely, if things go right for us can we still win, absolutely!
As I said I'm realistic. Was Grandal having a good first half, yes, does it translate to a full season injury or not, that's to be seen?
Crawford/VanSllke platoon is average, Either/Puig platoon, really, that shouldn't even be a platoon, it's time for Puig to get his head out of his ass and be the player that has shown flashes, but he hasn't done it!
Ya Seager does have talent and potential up the wazoo, played great the last month of season, but even then teams started getting him out. If he even ends up being average he is better than what we have had at shortstop. Peterson had a whole half year to figure it out and he didn't, hope he does, but he may never. There are tons of young guys with talent up the wazoo and potential that never pan out. You can't pin your hopes on "I hope this guy figures it out, I hope this guy is the real thing, I hope these two guys can put two halves together.
I've already agreed with you that our bullpen is fine, I think ? I also agree that we have depth at starting pitching, we also had that last year, it's not great depth, but a bunch of decent pitchers, alot of who have had a injury history, that's not good when it comes to pitchers?
We've been a good team the last three years, so I'm not doom and gloom, we had a chance and I think we had the best team a couple of those years, the playoffs just didn't break our way!

Let's compare
Duffy/Turner. I'd take Duffy over Turner
Crawford/Seager. While Seager has talent, who's more solid right now, Crawford is
Tomlinson-Panik/ Kendrick. Only taking Kendrick because same as with Crawford above
Belt/Gonzo. Would take Gonzo but not by as much as you think, alot of his numbers came early and he is getting older
Posey/Grandal. Not even worth saying why Posey is better! Best cathcer in league
LF is a wash
Span/Pederson While Joc has potential, Span is a proven center fielder
Pence/ Puig Puig is same as Joc, but would go with Pence who is a gamer!

Starting pitching, give SF the edge
Releif pitching, La edge
Bench La edge

Only giving you these comparisons, because while I think SF is a solid team, I don't think they are a great team, but theyRe better than LA at this point. So don't give me that crap that I'm a downer, I thought LA had a better team than SF the past few years, yet Sf has won WS's, best team doesnt always win, the 88Dodgers proved that, they weren't even the best teaming the NL, but shit happens!

I think we have a decent team, just not a championship team, we have way to many question marks whether you believe it or not!

I'm not going to dispute that the Giants roster is better at the moment, I just feel as if you forgot that the Doyers were quite a few games ahead of both the Dbacks and Giants. LA has the advantage at 1B, 2B, and Bench. Maybe SP depth as well, although the Giants have the best 1-2 punch in baseball. I also don't believe that the Doyers have a better pen, I think last year's SF pen stats had more to do with 3-4 SP slots that couldn't last past the 5th inning, thus putting a ton of undue pressure on the pen. They were simply gassed down the stretch but are typically dominant.

I think that the Dodgers have pieces that need to stay healthy, much like the Giants. If both teams are healthy, I think the Giants have a better roster but I also think that the Dodgers have a better roster then ARZ.

And the Giants HAVE had the better TEAM. The Dodgers team has been assembled the past few seasons as if it were a fantasy team, discounting the role chemistry has on the team. The 88 Dodgers actually PROVE my point. Sorry bud, I don't believe you can dumb luck your way into multiple WS championships.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is some risk but you are way off on the Giant dice roll.

Cueto has a HUGE sample size of dominating the NL. It is more conceivable that his hiccup last season has more to do with a change from NL to AL then him suddenly forgetting how to pitch. Not really a risk to me.

Span is a risk but at 3 yr/30 mil and prior hip surgery, but the payout is one of the best defensive CF in the game as well as one of the best leadoff hitters, both things the Giants needed. Only a risk based on whether or not he can be healthy, not because his play is declining.

Scrabble is the highest risk but also the biggest reward given his ability and prior sample size. He hasn't lost any velocity but word was that he was tipping pitches last season. We have the best pitching coach in baseball in Righetti. If anyone can flip him, it's him. He's got risk to him, but he has always shown to be an innings eater, something we desperately needed regardless.

I would venture to say that Maeda and/or Kazmir would be as big a risk as anyone we signed.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Cueto believer, but even when I was making the case for the Dodgers to target him (and yes, he's who i wanted. I wanted Cueto and Price if the record needs to be out there. I didn't want Maeda, but I'm okay with the conservative deal he got, and I'm fine with Kaz.)

I'm flat-out not a Samardzija believer (especially with a draft-pick attached). I used to be, because I have a boner for strikeouts, but I just don't trust him. All the numbers are going the wrong way for the deal he got. I like him has a low-risk/high-reward type but he got a high-risk deal!

I like Span but homie needs to be healthy. I don't have a beef with the Span deal, but still he's on the wrong side of his prime and he's been hurt. There's a huge chance for ya'll to have your own personal Carl Crawford, but worse because you care about the money and he's supposed to anchor center field.

Huge "if" statements. I don't mean to sound like a hater and maybe I'm way off, but the Giants seem to be on some weed that they think they fix pitchers? Like Righetti and whoever have some kinda infrastructure to make Samardzija good again? And they're going to get Cueto back to being a Cy Young candidate?

Okay, Righetti is cool and all, and AT&T is a great place to pitch, but what the fuck is their record on fixing pitchers? Lincecum? wah wah wahhhhh.... Cain? *fart noises*

I don't know, man. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also for the record, my uncle is a Giants fan and he asked me about Cueto. I basically told him my concerns, but more importantly that there's a chance that he could be better than Bumgarner. I believe that. Cueto could be the Giants #1 in a best-case scenario.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to dispute that the Giants roster is better at the moment, I just feel as if you forgot that the Doyers were quite a few games ahead of both the Dbacks and Giants. LA has the advantage at 1B, 2B, and Bench. Maybe SP depth as well, although the Giants have the best 1-2 punch in baseball. I also don't believe that the Doyers have a better pen, I think last year's SF pen stats had more to do with 3-4 SP slots that couldn't last past the 5th inning, thus putting a ton of undue pressure on the pen. They were simply gassed down the stretch but are typically dominant.

I think that the Dodgers have pieces that need to stay healthy, much like the Giants. If both teams are healthy, I think the Giants have a better roster but I also think that the Dodgers have a better roster then ARZ.

And the Giants HAVE had the better TEAM. The Dodgers team has been assembled the past few seasons as if it were a fantasy
team, discounting the role chemistry has on the team. The 88 Dodgers actually PROVE my point. Sorry bud, I don't believe you can dumb luck your way into multiple WS championships.

We will have to agree to disagree? I said the Giants were good, every team that gets to the playoffs proved they were good to get there. After you get there it's who's playing well in the playoffs and who's getting the breaks, and the best team doesn't always win.

I think Kendrick is solid, but not really that much better than what the Giants can throw out there? Wish we still had Gordon, never did agree with that trade? Our starting pitching can be just as good as SF "if" they all pitch to there ability, but that's asking alot for all of them to do it, I will be happy if at least 2 others beside Kershaw can?
I could say the same thing about our bullpen, Mattingly was a dope when it came to using them, alot of young power arms and Mattingly never gave any of them a definitive role, aside from Jansen!
We had a couple stretches where we beat p on some teams, yet Arizona and SF were still within striking distance into September, then Arizona faded.
You may not agree, but I think Arizona is vastly improved from last year, enough to overtake the Dodgers if we struggle in the least bit!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villian is yet again nuts, if you think Cueto could be better than Bumgardner!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Cueto believer, but even when I was making the case for the Dodgers to target him (and yes, he's who i wanted. I wanted Cueto and Price if the record needs to be out there. I didn't want Maeda, but I'm okay with the conservative deal he got, and I'm fine with Kaz.)

I'm flat-out not a Samardzija believer (especially with a draft-pick attached). I used to be, because I have a boner for strikeouts, but I just don't trust him. All the numbers are going the wrong way for the deal he got. I like him has a low-risk/high-reward type but he got a high-risk deal!

I like Span but homie needs to be healthy. I don't have a beef with the Span deal, but still he's on the wrong side of his prime and he's been hurt. There's a huge chance for ya'll to have your own personal Carl Crawford, but worse because you care about the money and he's supposed to anchor center field.

Huge "if" statements. I don't mean to sound like a hater and maybe I'm way off, but the Giants seem to be on some weed that they think they fix pitchers? Like Righetti and whoever have some kinda infrastructure to make Samardzija good again? And they're going to get Cueto back to being a Cy Young candidate?

Okay, Righetti is cool and all, and AT&T is a great place to pitch, but what the fuck is their record on fixing pitchers? Lincecum? wah wah wahhhhh.... Cain? *fart noises*

I don't know, man. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also for the record, my uncle is a Giants fan and he asked me about Cueto. I basically told him my concerns, but more importantly that there's a chance that he could be better than Bumgarner. I believe that. Cueto could be the Giants #1 in a best-case scenario.

Start believing it because you have seen it for quite a few years now. Start with Righetti as a fixer of pitchers just off the top of the head, guys who sucked or were significantly worse prior to Righetti working their mechanics out and/or teaching them how to throw new pitches at the big league level in order to be more effective:

Vogelsong (All Star, re-did mechanics)
Casillas (Closer, re-did mechanics)
Wilson (All Star Closer, re-did mechanics)
Affeldt (one of the best set up men in baseball, clutch, taught him splitter)
Strickland (learned how to pitch, slider, split)
Heston (control mechanics, sinker)
Petit (long man, savior in playoffs, fixed his mechanics, taught 2-seam, sinker)

Cain is still recovering from surgery so the jury is still out on him. Timmeh has the most unique delivery of anyone in baseball that is unique to him. The only thing Righetti could do with that is hope and pray. Unfair to group both of those guys with Righetti at this point. But I'll take whatever they're smoking because apparently it wins...a lot.

Span was a luxury and my personal hope is that we get a full season from the combined efforts of Span and Pagan, both of whom are somewhat injury prone. However, Span seems to be moving well, didn't have serious injury issues that I know of prior to the disastrous 2015 season, and if healthy is a HUGE upgrade in the OF both offensively and defensively. With Pence in RF and Blanco as our 4th OF, we are looking good whether Span plays 162 or 100.

Cueto was a no brainer to me. I don't get how people will look at his 1/2 season in the AL has the norm of what to expect from him instead of it being the outlier. His career averages in the bandbox that is Great American Ballpark are seriously impressive and as far as I'm concerned, is the least risky of the bunch.

I didn't like the Scrabble signing, but apparently he was tipping pitches and fixed it towards the end of last season. I would have rather had Leake to be honest, but Scrabble's upside is def intriguing. He has always been the Tony Romo of pitchers, will get you close but won't pull you through the tight spots.

When our team was healthy last season, we were top 3 in baseball is team OPS. Its a matter of players staying healthy this time around. If so, I don't see any team in the NL West beating them. That's not homer-talk, this is the most complete team the Giants have had in my lifetime. And they are young. Best defensive INF in baseball, all under the age of 27. OF of Pence, Span, and Pagan/Blanco is above average defensively and offensively fits into what we do in our park. Pitching staff is now solidified with a couple of guys that can get you 200+ innings coupled with an already solid pen that will continue to integrate some good young arms in the pen. Add the fact that we now have the best 1-2 pitching punch in baseball and this team is primed to succeed. Again.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villian is yet again nuts, if you think Cueto could be better than Bumgardner!

Look at their career averages before you start calling names. He's not far off in his thinking.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at their career averages before you start calling names. He's not far off in his thinking.

I don't think calling someone nuts is calling them a name, I'd take Bum all day every day over Cueto!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think calling someone nuts is calling them a name, I'd take Bum all day every day over Cueto!

I'm not going to argue as I agree but you could easily make an argument for either. Cueto has been a beast as well.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to argue as I agree but you could easily make an argument for either. Cueto has been a beast as well.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we would have gotten him, just dont think he is as good as Bum, plus the fact good to great lefties everyone wants!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame your optimism, and I think Cueto will be fine. Samardzija, I'll believe it when I see it.