• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doctor Who

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda ambivalent about the Giggle honestly. Not great, not awful. NPH's performance as the toymaker was the best part. So far Gatwa looks like he'll be a fun and watchable doctor, but it's very early.

Still wouldn't be surprised if they pulled that Valeyard twist with Tennant. They have to do something with the Valeyard eventually, and this setup is as close as they will ever have to making it easy to pull off. Plus, we know Tennant plays a great villain from some of his other roles.
I love regen episodes as a rule. I don’t think I have seen one yet that hasn’t gotten the feels a-flowin’. And this one is no exception.

The story itself it a bit meh, but that is Doctor Who, so I can’t really blame the dog for barking.

I need to find and watch the trial arc of 4. I have seen a ton of analysis’ of it, but I have never actually watched it myself. Hard to have a real opinion of the Valeyard or the Timeless Child without watching that arc. Arguably the most important arc in the history of the show.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im a little confused by the split... if they split into 2, does Gatwa's Dr. know everything the previous drs know??

was the split entirely about stress??

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im a little confused by the split... if they split into 2, does Gatwa's Dr. know everything the previous drs know??

was the split entirely about stress??
We don’t know yet. But it seems that instead of a regen, it was a straight up copy instead. Moving forward, they are 2 different entities, though.

not explained WHY this happened, though.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quite enjoyed the church on ruby road.

Ncuti Gatwa's doctor reminds me of early Matt Smith, with that manic energy and enthusiasm. I like his rendition very much so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the main season come Spring.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quite enjoyed the church on ruby road.

Ncuti Gatwa's doctor reminds me of early Matt Smith, with that manic energy and enthusiasm. I like his rendition very much so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the main season come Spring.

I didnt love the episode... but it wasnt terrible... and a decent introduction to the new companion.. Also, there was a strong implication in this episode that the Dr is at least part Human... i wonder if that will be explored more this season... im sure we will learn about the companion's true origin... they made it too mysterious not to...

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt love the episode... but it wasnt terrible... and a decent introduction to the new companion.. Also, there was a strong implication in this episode that the Dr is at least part Human... i wonder if that will be explored more this season... im sure we will learn about the companion's true origin... they made it too mysterious not to...

i didn't get that sense at all.

I think you're referring to the scene where he claims he was abandoned and adopted.

to me, that's a direct reference to Jodie Whitaker's timeless child plot. he was abandoned by his own people and adopted by the Galifreyans

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you're referring to the scene where he claims he was abandoned and adopted.

to me, that's a direct reference to Jodie Whitaker's timeless child plot. he was abandoned by his own people and adopted by the Galifreyans

i am talking about that scene... but i also remember different times in this show where they implied the Dr was at least part human... so maybe i saw more into that...

I think it was just the way gatwa said it...

but i know it is a popular theory that the Dr is part human... and it makes sense... I mean, why are all the companions human, and why does the dr spend so much time on earth...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IIANM, he has only referred to himself as “half human” once, and that was in 8s movie. Most Whovian scholars agree that was one of his his many untruths about his age/origin.

Unkess he IDENTIFIES as half human. He is oddly attached to Earth. He always regens with a human face. Most of his companions have been human (granted, not all). He spends an inordinate amount of time dealing with Earth issues (though, tbf, we only see a small percentage of his actual adventures, so he may have multiple planets that he looks after).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am talking about that scene... but i also remember different times in this show where they implied the Dr was at least part human... so maybe i saw more into that...

I think it was just the way gatwa said it...

but i know it is a popular theory that the Dr is part human... and it makes sense... I mean, why are all the companions human, and why does the dr spend so much time on earth...
Handles, K-9, Mistress Vestra, Susan, Romana, Adric, Nysa, Strax, Nardo…

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIANM, he has only referred to himself as “half human” once, and that was in 8s movie. Most Whovian scholars agree that was one of his his many untruths about his age/origin.

Unkess he IDENTIFIES as half human. He is oddly attached to Earth. He always regens with a human face. Most of his companions have been human (granted, not all). He spends an inordinate amount of time dealing with Earth issues (though, tbf, we only see a small percentage of his actual adventures, so he may have multiple planets that he looks after).

he has said many times, at least as far back as tom baker's fourth doctor, that humanity is his favorite race.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has said many times, at least as far back as tom baker's fourth doctor, that humanity is his favorite race.

and as someone abandoned, he does not really know his true origins... i think he believes or wants to think he is part human...

And if you believe that, then any little implication whether it was a real implication or not, will seem like either dramatic irony, foreshadowing, or that he deep down KNOWS he is part human...

Point is... i dont know whether my interpretation of that scene was a real implication or not... But i definitely read it that way...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and as someone abandoned, he does not really know his true origins... i think he believes or wants to think he is part human...

And if you believe that, then any little implication whether it was a real implication or not, will seem like either dramatic irony, foreshadowing, or that he deep down KNOWS he is part human...

Point is... i dont know whether my interpretation of that scene was a real implication or not... But i definitely read it that way...
I 100% took that as RJD confirming that the Timeless Child is not going to be swept under the rug and is, in fact, hard canon and is absolutely part of the Doctor’s past.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth.

But that does not equate to him being 1/2 human.

agreed.

I actually hope they make him at least part Osiran.

The Pyramids of Mars has long been one of my favorite classic DW stories, and I think is long overdue for a televised sequel. (Yes, I know of the big finish follow-ups to it, but I don't consider those the same thing)