• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Neill was the leader and the one who brought championships.
He won 5 out of his last 7 seasons, 1 with The Reds, then 4 out of 5 with NY. He was a half inning away from his 6th title against Arizona in his final game.
The Yankees didn't win another title after he retired with that core of players.
Again, his manager agreed he was the heart and soul of the team, not The STD kid.
Without even looking it up, that doesn't make any sense. The Reds last won in 1990 and the last Yankees championship in that run was 2000. So that's 11 seasons.

And awesome, he can be the league leader in "heart" just like David Eckstein and Dustin Pedroia lead in Grit Over Replacement Player. I didn't deny that. But it's idiotic to say that one player "brought championships" just because their arrival coincided with championships. No one player "brings" a championship in a sport like baseball.

And all I said was Jeter was the better player on 3 of those 4 teams. Which is true.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Neill gets his fair share of credit in New York, we loved the guy

But Jeter was the most clutch player this city, and maybe this game, has ever seen

Jeter H

"he scored from first base on more HRs than any Yankee ever!!!"

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter H

"he scored from first base on more HRs than any Yankee ever!!!"

Played in 4

Thats FOUR games out of 2,800 games played

Where his team was eliminated from playoff contention

Winner

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played in 4

Thats FOUR games out of 2,800 games played

Where his team was eliminated from playoff contention

Winner

Key work being "team"

Jeter = Brady

Product of the system

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
derek-jeter-beckett-royals.jpg

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the most overrated players of all time. Analysts are comparing what he did to what Michael Jordan did for NBA. Give me a break.

Jeter is famous because a) Yankees, b) World Series wins (yet had very little to do with them, thank Williams, O'Neill, Martinez), c) Yankees, d) short stop doesn't get a lot of glory, e) he banged tons of hot chicks, and f) Yankees.

He is one of like 15 guys that have 12,000 plate appearances and not even in the top half of a bunch of statistical categories.

Basically what I'm saying is, he's a good baseball player that doesn't deserve all the retirement hype let alone a Derek Jeter appreciation page on the MLB general forum. Keep it on the NY Yankees forum.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the most overrated players of all time. Analysts are comparing what he did to what Michael Jordan did for NBA. Give me a break.

Jeter is famous because a) Yankees, b) World Series wins (yet had very little to do with them, thank Williams, O'Neill, Martinez), c) Yankees, d) short stop doesn't get a lot of glory,.

A strong argument can be made that new was the best player on 3 of the championship teams, so how can you say he had little to do with them?

You're reaching by mentioning a guy like Martinez, when he wasnt nearly as good as Jeter was in 1998, 1999, 2000..

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeter is famous because a) Yankees, b) World Series wins (yet had very little to do with them, thank Williams, O'Neill, Martinez), c) Yankees, d) short stop doesn't get a lot of glory, e) he banged tons of hot chicks, and f) Yankees.

He is one of like 15 guys that have 12,000 plate appearances and not even in the top half of a bunch of statistical categories.

Basically what I'm saying is, he's a good baseball player that doesn't deserve all the retirement hype let alone a Derek Jeter appreciation page on the MLB general forum. Keep it on the NY Yankees forum.
Very little to do with those championships? That's absurd.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ripken had far more RBIs, HRs, more doubles, a much higher WAR rating, 19 all star teams to Jeter's 14, 8 silver slugger awards to Jeter's 5 and 2 MVP awards to Jeter's 0.
Jeter probably infected more women with herpes than any athlete of his generation though.

Jeter's oWar was 95.4
Ripken's oWar was 77.2

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can care less about defensive metrics, that's fine, but you can't just ignore defense. There isn't some huge gap in offense that you can argue the defense doesn't make up for it. You have to look at the full value of the player, not just the individual pieces of his game and rank them. Ripken's defense more than makes up for the offensive gap in my opinion.

I'm not ignoring defense, I just put less value on it. I'd take Jeter's career over Ripken's, solely because he's better offensively.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without even looking it up, that doesn't make any sense. The Reds last won in 1990 and the last Yankees championship in that run was 2000. So that's 11 seasons.

And awesome, he can be the league leader in "heart" just like David Eckstein and Dustin Pedroia lead in Grit Over Replacement Player. I didn't deny that. But it's idiotic to say that one player "brought championships" just because their arrival coincided with championships. No one player "brings" a championship in a sport like baseball.

And all I said was Jeter was the better player on 3 of those 4 teams. Which is true.

I'm guessing you did look it up, which I should have done.
You're correct, O'Neill won in 2000 with The Reds then went to NYC in 1993 and won 4 titles, beginning in 96.
He was far more than heart by the way, he got many critical hits and made many critical plays. He was the leader of those teams though, Torey understands his role, you clearly don't.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jace Peterson had a catch last night where he had to leap into the net to catch a foul popup.

It'll be forgotten by noon today, but it was a better catch than Jeter's retarded, unnecessary dive into the stands on a ball that's a routine play for any shortstop with average range.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Struck out like a power hitter

Slapped singles like a bitch

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAR is a retarded and made up stat.

But how often does the stat tend to make major mistatatements about a player's value? Not very often, and because of that I think it's a pretty good gauge of overall play.

I mean, last year the highest WARs were Trout, Betts, Bryant, Altuve, Donaldson, and Cano. It's pretty hard to argue imo that those guys weren't among the top 10 players in baseball last year even if you completely discredit WAR. If WAR said that someone like Jacoby Ellsbury or Joe Mauer was a top 10 player last year, then there would be a serious flaw, but it didn't.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how often does the stat tend to make major mistatatements about a player's value? Not very often, and because of that I think it's a pretty good gauge of overall play.

I mean, last year the highest WARs were Trout, Betts, Bryant, Altuve, Donaldson, and Cano. It's pretty hard to argue imo that those guys weren't among the top 10 players in baseball last year even if you completely discredit WAR. If WAR said that someone like Jacoby Ellsbury or Joe Mauer was a top 10 player last year, then there would be a serious flaw, but it didn't.

I just don't trust any stat I can't calculate with a calculator.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing you did look it up, which I should have done.
You're correct, O'Neill won in 2000 with The Reds then went to NYC in 1993 and won 4 titles, beginning in 96.
He was far more than heart by the way, he got many critical hits and made many critical plays. He was the leader of those teams though, Torey understands his role, you clearly don't.
I don't need to look up who won the World Series in any year. Not hard to remember that the Reds last won in 1990.

I already said that was fine, he can have "heart" or whatever. Jeter was the better player in 3 of those 4 years.