• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Damn Yankee's vs Wash's Rangers , 7/22

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouts say he wouldnt be able to turn around a 92mph MLB fastball......soooo there's that.

LOL, sort of how I figured it would turn out... oh well, not to much lost on the attempt anyway. I see he is only hitting .250 with 3 HRs and 9 RBI so far... he has walked 6 times though. Thats still not much to get excited about. Probably have a better chance of Berkman finding his swing... not that its that much more probable though.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lainey I was not on the ESPN board over the offseason, but opined on other sites that the Rangers would be rebuilding this year and MAYBE have a shot at a low WC. I came to that conclusion when we signed Berkman. I took that and to an extent signing AJ to a one year deal as JD telling us these are placeholders until he could do better without giving up the farm. I was ok with that, but like you I was sucked in with the early rise, the A's starting to slump and the Angels heading to the cellar faster than last year. Even when Harrison went on the DL I was ok since these new guys Tep and Grimm were doing great! Then late May and June came along, the wheels started to come off, but by late June they were back with the bats and the BP was doing great. We started beating the A's and other contending teams from the AL and NL, things looked good. We hung in there, kept close, still are keeping close but the division and WC are slowly leaking away each week we lose ground. Saw a stat yesterday that in 27 days we gained zip on the A's. They seem to lose when we lose and on some odd day win when we don't. That is baseball.

JD with the Garza trade, Perez doing good, and pitchers getting healthy helped us out this week and will help us immensely for weeks to come. But as our pitchers are now getting it together we fail to support them. There is a reality for teams that cannot pull their pitching and offense in line...non contending teams who do not make the playoffs. I see a lot of the 2012 TB Rays in this current team. Good pitching performances but a crap shoot if the offense gets enough to win. It was hard watching the Rays last year (spent some time in FL)...one night they had it going and then three nights in a row they would lose like we did today and Tuesday.

The "meshing" is a good point, I think we were actually scoring more runs when our rotation was getting drilled. We'd score runs, they'd give 'em up.

I'm truly on the fence here, but I do think a good bat can help tremendously, and let the "meshing" begin

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Pence a mid-season pick up for the Giants last year? or was that Scutaro...or both?

point is, look how that helped the Giants...I don't think they were running away with that division last year...I'd have to go back and look

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Pence a mid-season pick up for the Giants last year? or was that Scutaro...or both?

point is, look how that helped the Giants

I wish we could pick up Pence... I think I would take him over Rios, even though he would be a rental. Also, I think they would have a good shot at re-signing him for around what Rios would cost.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ummm... what offense has he been watching?!?!

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "meshing" is a good point, I think we were actually scoring more runs when our rotation was getting drilled. We'd score runs, they'd give 'em up.

I'm truly on the fence here, but I do think a good bat can help tremendously, and let the "meshing" begin

A good point. Yu and Ogando coming back AND the Garza deal made us a much different team within a few days. Well we will have to see when we get better competition other than the Yankees. But the pitching cannot be blamed for this series at all. Joe Nathan is human and that ump was garbage. So getting another bat sure would shake things up. It would put Murphy on notice immediately. He would not get regular playing time and be in a platoon. If someone like Rios is acquired and then put in the 2 spot, then that would shake up Elvis. It would serve to add morale but also tell those not performing that they can ride the bench for more than one game if they are not producing.

What to do about Berkman if he comes back is a bigger problem. We probably need to trade for a DH bat as well.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, sort of how I figured it would turn out... oh well, not to much lost on the attempt anyway. I see he is only hitting .250 with 3 HRs and 9 RBI so far... he has walked 6 times though. Thats still not much to get excited about. Probably have a better chance of Berkman finding his swing... not that its that much more probable though.
Talk about the blind leading the blind with those two

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could pick up Pence... I think I would take him over Rios, even though he would be a rental. Also, I think they would have a good shot at re-signing him for around what Rios would cost.

I think we'd all love Pence, but I really think the Giants try and re-sign him
unfortunately

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping the reason we haven't gotten a bat is because we're waiting to see if Bautista becomes available. Unfortunately we're running out of time. Meanwhile Rios is knocking in runs for the WS
I hate rooting for the Angels, but I will be for the next 4 days

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good point. Yu and Ogando coming back AND the Garza deal made us a much different team within a few days. Well we will have to see when we get better competition other than the Yankees. But the pitching cannot be blamed for this series at all. Joe Nathan is human and that ump was garbage. So getting another bat sure would shake things up. It would put Murphy on notice immediately. He would not get regular playing time and be in a platoon. If someone like Rios is acquired and then put in the 2 spot, then that would shake up Elvis. It would serve to add morale but also tell those not performing that they can ride the bench for more than one game if they are not producing.

What to do about Berkman if he comes back is a bigger problem. We probably need to trade for a DH bat as well.

I don't know if we can get two bats without giving up too much. Not sure what to do with Berkman, get someone like Rios, (meaning please get Rios), slide Berkman down in the lineup? Bench him? but then he's just taking up a spot. You could slide him down and hope he hits a little better, and get's on base.
That's a tough one.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping the reason we haven't gotten a bat is because we're waiting to see if Bautista becomes available. Unfortunately we're running out of time. Meanwhile Rios is knocking in runs for the WS
I hate rooting for the Angels, but I will be for the next 4 days

That's exactly it, we're in another time crunch.
heck yeah I'll root for the Angels for 4, whatever buys us some more time.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about the blind leading the blind with those two

lol

JD will make up for it, I don't think he went for Garza and thought..."that's that"...I think he's going to add more to keep us in.
Now if they could only win some in the meantime.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if we can get two bats without giving up too much. Not sure what to do with Berkman, get someone like Rios, (meaning please get Rios), slide Berkman down in the lineup? Bench him? but then he's just taking up a spot. You could slide him down and hope he hits a little better, and get's on base.
That's a tough one.
You release Berkman, plain and simple. His body's not in it.