• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curious about Negron

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the Reds hang onto him after they brought in DeJesus?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. I don't know why DeJesus is still on the team, to be brutally honest, other than they just don't have any better options. The guy is not very good defensively, and hasn't hit much since his first week or so up. He doesn't appear to have much speed or a great arm. Negron appears to be a little better defensively, and although DeJesus is only hitting about .200, he's better with the bat.

There are a lot of anemic hitters on this team, including Schumaker, who is getting way too much PT. Hamilton, Bruce, Byrd and Barnhart sure arent great either, but you have to play 8. Votto, Frazier, Phillips and Pena are the only plus .250 hitters I think, and that's too few for the pitching staff to overcome. The Dominguez kid looks like he might have some pop, but with options he may not stay up.

I watched a little of the Mets DH fiasco Sunday- lots of bad D by the Reds, and the Mets rookie Matz schooled them at the plate and on the mound. Sad.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well-managed big-league baseball teams do not go into a place against a team that is as ordinary as the Mets and come out of it scoring 4 runs in 31 innings. I can't say for sure who ought to be offended by this.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are not a good team, obviously. The Mets have been a lot better at home, and they do have some pitching. Not an excuse, just saying I'm not that suprised the Reds didnt score much. The Mets aren't exactly big run producers either though.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, you can't average 1 run a game in a series and have anything more than a village idiot's dream of contending.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well one thing for sure, This was a bad weekend for the Reds. I'm interested to see what Matz does in his next start. That was a career day for him
Also I'm getting tired of watching teams celebrate walk off wins. Happens 1 or 2 times, every road trip. Getting old.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame when I see the Reds dugout hoping Leake or Lorenzen gets a hit so that they can drive in a run. The other 8 guys are incapable of it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Leake is trying to pitch himself out of town too.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever think about where current Reds players would fit in with other teams ? I see Cueto in the AL- possibly Yankees or Redsox...or the Tigers. I don't think the Cardinals would welcome him though. Chapman definately looks like a future Yankee. Leake might be a good Angel, but not a Dodger. I think Frazier looks like a future Met. Mesoraco would fit in Pittsburgh. I can see Bruce as a Ranger or a Dodger.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frazier a Met? Possibly. Maybe a Phillie.
Chapman will go where the money is. He probably has no preference.
I think Cueto will go west ... maybe Seattle or SF ... not Oakland.
Bruce might just stick around for the duration if he's invited.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cueto is going to get as good a payday as Lester. What a comparative value-Cueto holds runners and will throw to a base. If he's healthy, he's a number one on any team. If he went to the Dodgers, they would have 3 number one starters- including Kershaw and Grienke. I just don't know if their payroll pot is bottomless...they're already over $250M.

I think that not starting Chapman 3 years ago might be the biggest Reds oversight since trading Perez for Woody Fryman. It may be too late for that now, as MLB teams are reluctant to change a players role after 4 years. Remember the talk of Phillips going back to SS, that disappeared after a couple gold gloves at 2b, even though the Reds didnt have any answers at SS at the time ?

The Reds payroll is over $110M-like about the 12th highest in MLB this year. If im not mistaken, I think the Reds payroll is higher than the Cardinals right now...and thats embarrassing. It's going to harm the Reds ability to keep guys that play well- like Frazier and Mesoraco, when they become expensive. They definately can't afford huge contract guys like Votto, Bailey or higher dollar guys like Bruce and Phillips to miss large chunks of seasons where they are on the DL or just don't produce.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it interesting that .... looking back at the past season and the offseason ... when Molina went down, the Cardinals deftly were just able to snatch Piersynski off the waiver wire. He's no Molina but he's a big-league veteran.

When Oscar Taveras died suddenly, a month later, the Birds deftly were able to trade for Jason Heyward. He's no Clemente, but he's got big-league talent.

When the Reds lose a player, they call up Mike Costanzo.