• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cubs fans still the LIQIS

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chicago Cubs have followed up their World Series run by playing .500 ball for 84 games. There is serious cause for concern. Jake Arrieta can’t find his form, Kyle Schwarber is bouncing between the minors and the bigs, and Ben Zobrist has been a shell of his former self.

And with more than half the season gone, some are wondering if time is running out — even though the Cubs are only 3.5 games back of surprising Milwaukee in the NL Central. Veteran Chicago Sun-Times columnist Rick Morrissey asks the question that was on no one’s mind today: is manager Joe Maddon making a big mistake by resting his players too much? After all, being a baseball player isn’t physically taxing. Why should they rest at all?

Rest from what? Running to first base?

OK, OK, I don’t mean to be so flippant. Just a little flippant. Big-league teams have six weeks of spring training and then play 162 games, more if they make the playoffs. There aren’t many days off in between. It’s a grind, as players like to say. But once the season is over, most have 4½ months off. I’ll bet many of you would take that trade-off, given the opportunity.

If there’s a physically less demanding major sport than baseball (catchers excluded!), I don’t know what it would be. An NHL season is 82 games, and it’s filled with all-out effort and high-speed collisions. Just try telling your typical hockey player, a bone sticking through his skin, that he needs a night off.

NFL players have 16 regular-season games a year in which to beat their brains into something resembling rotting cauliflower. Enough said.

It is undoubtedly true that baseball players sustain brain damage less than football players. If that’s not proof that they are a bunch of frail, pampered babies, then I don’t know what is.

gettyimages-801618920.jpg

Morrissey continues on, comparing a baseball player’s job duties to those of a basketball player and runner. And guess what? They are totally different! Not content, he then compares what a baseball player does for a living to what you, the reader, must endure every day.

What Maddon likely is getting at, even if he’s not saying it, is that baseball is tedious. Players do the same thing day after day. Some get to the ballpark four hours before a game. They stretch, they hit in the cage, they take grounders. They might lift weights. They play the game. They go home, sleep and do the same thing the next day.

Which, come to think about it, is what 98 percent of jobs are like.

No one worries about the tedium of your job, do they? No one says: ‘‘Wiggins, you’ve got to be tired from licking all those envelopes. Give yourself a four-day weekend.’’ What the boss usually says is: ‘‘There’s no such thing as a strained tongue muscle. Get back to work.’’ Then you walk back to your work station, dreaming of the stamp collection awaiting you at home.

If some baseball fans think the game moves slowly, you can bet some of the players do, too. Cubs pitchers have taken to dancing in the bullpen after the team does something good. They seem to be a happy bunch. It’s also possible that dancing helps them fight the urge to drink from the Jonestown kettle of boredom relief.

No one is going to make the argument that baseball includes the bone-crushing contact of other sports or requires as much running. But to suggest that playing 162 games over a six month period isn’t demanding as hell is too intellectually disingenuous to take seriously. It’s the type of argument you hear from a giant meathead who wants to prove their machismo.

I guess I’m not mad, just disappointed. Especially considering the source here has been covering baseball for decades — and knows damn well the physical demands of the sport.

On the bright side, he did create perfect bulletin board material for players to read up on before his next visit to the clubhouse.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maddon managed the worst Game 7 in any sport ever

If they had lost and followed up that with this season, he would have been exposed as a fraud

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maddon is a "genius", but Yost is a dumbfuck

Who has the better post season record, and probably had the lesser talent?

Managers are overrated as fuck. Showalter is another genius who hasnt done shit in October.

Cubs should have traded their DH when they had a chance. Maddon is a dumbfuck for thinking Schwarber could play a position.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Managers are overrated as fuck. Showalter is another genius who hasnt done shit in October.

Cubs should have traded their DH when they had a chance. Maddon is a dumbfuck for thinking Schwarber could play a position.

Did someone on the cubs fuck your girlfriend last night? A lot of bitching about the cubs this morning isn't it.

Rizzo>Willy mays aikens,Steve balboni,Eric hosmer, Wally Joyner etc...

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did someone on the cubs fuck your girlfriend last night? A lot of bitching about the cubs this morning isn't it.

Rizzo>Willy mays aikens,Steve balboni,Eric hosmer, Wally Joyner etc...

No, my girlfriend doesnt have a cock.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zactly.....The only true way to label a manager having a great year, is when they exceed expectations and their teams overachieve, and Yost falls in that category

Maddon managed an All Star team that was one of the few favorites in the league to win, to a World Series title

Its why I think Girardi is middle of the pack at best, the Yankees have underachieved far more than they have overachieved on his watch....His one world title, the Yankees were the heavy favorites to win it.....This season would have been his most impressive work, but things have normalized, and they will probably finish closer to the bottom than the top

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirt is smart

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zactly.....The only true way to label a manager having a great year, is when they exceed expectations and their teams overachieve, and Yost falls in that category

Maddon managed an All Star team that was one of the few favorites in the league to win, to a World Series title

Its why I think Girardi is middle of the pack at best, the Yankees have underachieved far more than they have overachieved on his watch....His one world title, the Yankees were the heavy favorites to win it.....This season would have been his most impressive work, but things have normalized, and they will probably finish closer to the bottom than the top
Don't sell Girardi short. He's not going to go up there and hit and pitch, but winning 1-run games is a good measure of a manager, and he's been over .500 in 6/10 years. He may have more underachieving years as far as the success the Yankees have expected, but some years just seem like miracles. I don't understand how that team last year was within 2 games of the playoffs in mid-September.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't sell Girardi short. He's not going to go up there and hit and pitch, but winning 1-run games is a good measure of a manager, and he's been over .500 in 6/10 years. He may have more underachieving years as far as the success the Yankees have expected, but some years just seem like miracles. I don't understand how that team last year was within 2 games of the playoffs in mid-September.

My biggest criticism is that he is not a 162 game + manager.......If you watch them the way I do, this team on his watch is absolutely gassed come September, almost every season....I go back 2 seasons, when they limped into that Wildcard game vs Houston, and I've never seen people collectively know they had no chance in that game, and that was reflective of how they played the entire month of September......And as usual, we are right on pace for very key players, mostly in that pen, to have absolutely nothing left in August and September......I understand that's on the players themselves, but its also partially due to his over usage of that pen, especially in situations where you bring in your key guns in 10-4 games, because the opponent has 1st and 2nd and none out in the 8th

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs expected to throw their gloves on the field and win 103 games. I suppose they had every right to expect to be good. The problem with winning a baseball division is that you have to also play teams that are not in your division. The NL West has the horses this year, top to ... well, it stops just north of San Diego. The Cubs just figured they had to beat the Cardinals and slide on in.

They may end up doing that, but that 103 is not gonna happen again soon.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll probably find a way to win that division, IMO.

However, they are certainly not going back to the World Series. No matter what they do at the deadline.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at that roster and say, ok Rizzo and Bryant are stars

And than what?

Dont love the rest of that lineup

Dont love that starting staff, or BP outside of Davis

To be honest, Im not shocked by that teams performance

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at that roster and say, ok Rizzo and Bryant are stars

And than what?

Dont love the rest of that lineup

Dont love that starting staff, or BP outside of Davis

To be honest, Im not shocked by that teams performance

doesn't help that most of their players are having down years from 2016 and they lost an All-Star OF in Fowler (not that he's been great this year, but he was still a 4 WAR player last year). After a very solid 2016, Zobrist is looking pretty toasty. Even Rizzo and Bryant are having somewhat "down years" (still among the best at their position). Russell's been a huge disappointment, I thought he was going to have a breakout 2017. The power just hasn't materialized. As for the rotation, they had a decent amount of luck/good defense behind them, but they still projected to have one of the better rotations in baseball. Every pitcher's regressed pretty hard and Lackey's just getting destroyed.

outside of the bullpen, just about everything that could go wrong for the Cubs has in 2017. I still think there's a lot of potential for them to have a strong 2nd half and win the division, but yeah weren't going to match last year's win total regardless.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3