• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comp Picks/Cap Space

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we are almost to the season I just thought this would be a nice time to look to next off season a bit. One of the best things that Elway has been able to do beyond what he has done in FA is that of actually getting the Broncos some Comp Picks for players lost. People forget that even though we have dipped into FA some Elway has done so with Comp Picks somewhat in mind and going and getting guys that don't take away some extra picks that add extra fire power for the draft. It is why they felt comfortable enough trading up to get a guy like Shane Ray this past draft knowing they had some extra picks in their back pocket. Last year's haul though is nothing compared to what they could bring in this year...

Right now it is looking like the Broncos will get at least a 3rd, 4th, and 6th round pick for losing Franklin, Thomas, and Knighton. There is a chance we get a 7th round pick as well depending on the season that Tamme has.

Anyway this website gives you an idea of what the team has done...

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart - Over the Cap

2016 Compensatory Draft Picks Update (5/12/2015) - Over the Cap

Now nobody quite knows the NFL's formula for these picks so they could be a bit off but still the Broncos should go into the next draft with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 6th, and 7th round pick.

Now onto the 2nd part of this. Cap Space is going to be an important part of the team moving forward as we do have some players up for some decent contracts after this season.

After cuts the Broncos actually did save a bit more money. They are now at around $10.5 million in cap space which puts them about middle of the pack compared to the rest of the NFL. If they are able to carry that all over to next season (which some of it they won't because there will be an injury or two plus have to factor in a couple of the guys hitting their bonus marks) the Broncos should start the year with something like $25 million in cap space. Not great but definitely not the worst either. You factor in the draft class taking something like $4 million of that plus another $5 million for practice squad and other signings/dead money and that takes us to about $16 million in actual spending money. Good chance that Ryan Clady is either gone or restructured. This would save the team about $9 million. So again back up to the $25 million in cap spending. I'm going to stop there as we all know things could go many ways for the Cap Next year depending on what Manning decides to do and what the team decides to do with Ware. The Broncos really could have anywhere from $25 million clear up to over $50 million to spend in FA. Hard telling right now but it does look like the Broncos can once again be pretty active in spending to at least keep our own guys.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we are almost to the season I just thought this would be a nice time to look to next off season a bit. One of the best things that Elway has been able to do beyond what he has done in FA is that of actually getting the Broncos some Comp Picks for players lost. People forget that even though we have dipped into FA some Elway has done so with Comp Picks somewhat in mind and going and getting guys that don't take away some extra picks that add extra fire power for the draft. It is why they felt comfortable enough trading up to get a guy like Shane Ray this past draft knowing they had some extra picks in their back pocket. Last year's haul though is nothing compared to what they could bring in this year...

Right now it is looking like the Broncos will get at least a 3rd, 4th, and 6th round pick for losing Franklin, Thomas, and Knighton. There is a chance we get a 7th round pick as well depending on the season that Tamme has.

Anyway this website gives you an idea of what the team has done...

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart - Over the Cap

2016 Compensatory Draft Picks Update (5/12/2015) - Over the Cap

Now nobody quite knows the NFL's formula for these picks so they could be a bit off but still the Broncos should go into the next draft with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 6th, and 7th round pick.

Now onto the 2nd part of this. Cap Space is going to be an important part of the team moving forward as we do have some players up for some decent contracts after this season.

After cuts the Broncos actually did save a bit more money. They are now at around $10.5 million in cap space which puts them about middle of the pack compared to the rest of the NFL. If they are able to carry that all over to next season (which some of it they won't because there will be an injury or two plus have to factor in a couple of the guys hitting their bonus marks) the Broncos should start the year with something like $25 million in cap space. Not great but definitely not the worst either. You factor in the draft class taking something like $4 million of that plus another $5 million for practice squad and other signings/dead money and that takes us to about $16 million in actual spending money. Good chance that Ryan Clady is either gone or restructured. This would save the team about $9 million. So again back up to the $25 million in cap spending. I'm going to stop there as we all know things could go many ways for the Cap Next year depending on what Manning decides to do and what the team decides to do with Ware. The Broncos really could have anywhere from $25 million clear up to over $50 million to spend in FA. Hard telling right now but it does look like the Broncos can once again be pretty active in spending to at least keep our own guys.

Good point about how having comp picks made moving up to get Ray affordable. I think we are likely to do something similar gain this year. As Elway continues to add depth to the roster, it probably makes more sense to move up and try to get impact players than it does to draft nine or ten guys.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should sticky this .. that way have a ongoing thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point about how having comp picks made moving up to get Ray affordable. I think we are likely to do something similar gain this year. As Elway continues to add depth to the roster, it probably makes more sense to move up and try to get impact players than it does to draft nine or ten guys.

Well just look at this year as a great example...We had more guys leave than what we brought in and yet I think only 6 of the 9 draft picks made the team. We still have great depth on this team so yeah makes sense to trade up and get the guys we really want instead of sitting still or trading back. This is the great thing about having such fire power like the Broncos have for the draft.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should sticky this .. that way have a ongoing thread

There you go 58crash I stickied it. Forgot that I still have moderator power on this board. They changed it all right before you all came so I thought for a while that I had lost my moderator powers on this board. Just had to do some digging to find it.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good .. I like ongoing threads like this we should post all the money stuff, FA, Trades ...personnel stuff

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent thread and I agree with Crash, a good one to sticky.

According to the OTC link, our three comp picks are more likely two 4ths and a 6th. I think initially we all thought we would get a 3rd for JT, but it's looking like that will be a 4th.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent thread and I agree with Crash, a good one to sticky.

According to the OTC link, our three comp picks are more likely two 4ths and a 6th. I think initially we all thought we would get a 3rd for JT, but it's looking like that will be a 4th.

I would be surprised if it is not a 3rd. Money wise it is the 4th highest cap hit of any player that can count towards comp picks. Now some of this will depend on how many 3rd round picks the NFL decides to hand out but it is usually something like 4. The NFL does seem to not favor the Broncos when it comes to Comp picks though as they have lowered our picks a couple of times now over the last 10 years so it wouldn't surprise me. Even if it is a 4th that is still a pretty good haul though of 2 4th's and a 6th with a possible 7th.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turning JT into a 3rd rounder is like winning at Let's Make A Deal. He was a 6th rounder for the Broncos I think and Denver got some good mileage out of him.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turning JT into a 3rd rounder is like winning at Let's Make A Deal. He was a 6th rounder for the Broncos I think and Denver got some good mileage out of him.
4th rounder. I believe Green was the 6th rounder that year...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is being reported that the NFL is thinking about allowing teams to trade Comp Picks for the very first time in this upcoming draft. This would be huge for the Broncos. They are expected to have a 3rd, 4th, 6th, and possibly a 7th round Comp Pick in this upcoming draft. That would give them some major ability to move around the draft.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is being reported that the NFL is thinking about allowing teams to trade Comp Picks for the very first time in this upcoming draft. This would be huge for the Broncos. They are expected to have a 3rd, 4th, 6th, and possibly a 7th round Comp Pick in this upcoming draft. That would give them some major ability to move around the draft.
Yeah saw that this morn. About time. Only seems fair to me. As many late draft pks and undrafted players there are nowadays that are making teams, those comp picks hold much more value now.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow - good timing - just like the Broncos got amazingly good timing on the last labor deal.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL salary cap will rise above $150 million in 2016

Cap space will be be over 150 MM and likely closer to 153.4 MM if past history is an indicator.

Our 3 division rivals are all in the top 10 with available cap space with Oakland having a ton to spend.

The nice thing for the Broncos is they have done a great job contract wise that honestly very good chance they will have top-5 Cap Space by the time contracts start being signed. I will say though depending how the Raiders do FA wise they could definitely be a team to mess with. They have some decent but not great named players to resign but otherwise can go crazy spending on some bigger names if they want or spread it out over say 15 players. The nice thing though is this is a terrible FA class. The few decent names will be resigned like Von Miller and Josh Norman.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Von Miller is already signed one way or another ..

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not the Chargers have played their last game in San Diego, Eric Weddle has likely played his last game for the Chargers.

The team on Monday placed the Pro Bowl safety on injured reserve with the groin injury that forced him out of the lineup in Thursday night's loss to the Raiders. The Chargers placed three other players on IR, including tight end Ladarius Green (ankle).

Set to become an unrestricted free agent, Weddle is a shoe-in to find a new team after the Bolts told him in June that they had no plans to re-sign him

Attachments

• 0ap3000000529926.jpg
    0ap3000000529926.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 36

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not the Chargers have played their last game in San Diego, Eric Weddle has likely played his last game for the Chargers.

The team on Monday placed the Pro Bowl safety on injured reserve with the groin injury that forced him out of the lineup in Thursday night's loss to the Raiders. The Chargers placed three other players on IR, including tight end Ladarius Green (ankle).

Set to become an unrestricted free agent, Weddle is a shoe-in to find a new team after the Bolts told him in June that they had no plans to re-sign him

If Darian Stewart wasn't having the season that he was I would say Weddle should be a top target for the Broncos. Right now though doesn't look like FS is a need other than for a great depth player.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Darian Stewart wasn't having the season that he was I would say Weddle should be a top target for the Broncos. Right now though doesn't look like FS is a need other than for a great depth player.
Agree and Weddle will seek a ton of money. I like our guys and their getting better. Offensive side of ball needs most attention. But please find a punter too. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and Weddle will seek a ton of money. I like our guys and their getting better. Offensive side of ball needs most attention. But please find a punter too. :)

I agree offensive side of the ball has to be top priority this off season. To me you resign as many of our defensive players as you can then look into FA to try and find a couple of pieces for the offense then use the draft mostly on offense with 1 pick of course for a Punter :thumb:. I still wouldn't mind them going after Joe Thomas even if it takes our 1st round pick. He has actually a relatively cheap contract compared to his play on the field. I would try to bring in one other starter for the OL. I think Garcia replaces Mathis at the LG spot. Good chance they try and have Sambrailo back at the RT spot. So that leaves Center as maybe that one hole you really try to fill. The problem is I am not seeing any great Centers on the market. If Wisniewski is healthy then maybe he is a guy I look at as he was a very good player before his injury.

Draft wise there are a couple of guys at the Center position that look to be pretty decent in the middle rounds. Have them compete with Paradis for the starting spot and have an OL of Joe Thomas-Max Garcia-Paradis/rookie-Vasquez-Sambrailo. While I don't think they would be the top OL in the NFL that looks like a much better group than what we have right now.