• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colorado Rockies Ongoing Thread

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports were encouraging on Chacin.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I'm here too. After 6 seasons on CBS I guess we start over.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say enough about how well the Rockies are playing. It's not a surprise considering the good pitching. There was never a question that the team could hit, but with the pitching in tow, this becomes a tough club.

Nice job, thus far.:10:

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still unbeaten at home. First team to score 100 runs this season. Chacin is likely to miss one start but avoid the DL. Rockies are now 9 games above .500 and tied for best record in baseball with the Braves. Josh Rutledge is showing some signs of life and even Reid Brignac is getting some timely hits. That is all the good stuff.

Here is some stuff that might be overlooked:

Josh Rutledge for all lack of getting hits has 17 runs scored and is tied for the team lead in stolen bases to go along with 2 homeruns. Last season he walked a grand total of 9 times while striking out 54 times---this season so far he has walked 7 times already to 13 strikeouts. He projects to strike out more this season at this rate but he looks to be productive still with greatly increased walk rate while still showing power and speed.

In case you missed it Wilin Rosario has stolen 3 bases so far this season which is the same amount Dexter Fowler and Eric Young Jr have combined. Dexter Fowler and Eric Young Jr have been caught stealing a combined 4 times so far.

Jordan Pacheco and Reid Brignac have had about the same amount of playing time so far in the young season and have put up almost identical stat lines.

Todd Helton may not be getting hits the way we are used to but all his hits seem to matter---with just 11 hits he has managed 10 RBI.

Every Rockie regular except Chris Nelson has at least one home run. You can add Eric Young Jr as a second regular who doesn't have a home run as Young actually has more at bats than Helton so far this season.

Wilton Lopez is the only Rockies pitcher who hasn't walked anyone yet this season.

Denver&Gators

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at this point either Chacin hit the DL or makes his next start. We are in the middle of a 20 game stretch without a day off. If he cant pitch his next start I can see him going to the DL. Chicin's next start is against the Braves, I think, and this early in the season I would rather have him sit and make sure he is healthy.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dgonaz...it's stats like this that I find interesting. Rosario, aka Speedy Gonzalez, with as many SBs as Fowler and EY Jr...who would have thought, but that's the way the season has gone so far. Good info on Rutledge, sometimes you have to look further than the standard numbers to get a better idea of a player's contribution. Good stuff.
The Rockies started 13-5 just 2 years ago in 2011 and went south in May and finished 73-89. I'm confident that won't happen this year.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can the Rockies keep it up?

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody gradually showing up at this site is proof positive of, "If you build it, they will come."

Watching Tulo play this year, reminds me of how much he was missed last year and what an integral part of this team he is. It is so obvious that he is the player we can least afford to lose.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win streak is over but we still took the series from the Diamondbacks and it was a decent game that was a nail biter down to the last at bat.

Some pitching thoughts after watching the game:

I don't think Nicasio is going to work out as a starter long term. He has good stuff and he has some decent stamina but he is not efficient at all with his pitches and I don't see him being able to consistently make it to the 6th inning even when he is on the ball. I think he would make an outstanding long relief guy who does some spot starts but not a great regular starting pitcher.

Watching Wilton Lopez pitch I noticed his speed was good and he was definitely hitting the strike zone consistently, the problem was his pitches just didn't seem to have a lot of movement on them. I watched him throw one sinker after another that just didn't seem to sink that much--the speed was good and it was thrown in the strike zone, but it just didn't really sink. He can come around with regular work but he really shouldn't be pulled out in close games right now when he is getting so little movement on his pitches.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody gradually showing up at this site is proof positive of, "If you build it, they will come."

Watching Tulo play this year, reminds me of how much he was missed last year and what an integral part of this team he is. It is so obvious that he is the player we can least afford to lose.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Tulo is worth 20 games in the standings.

Tulowitzki.gif

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BR has the Rockies power ranked at #3 after starting the Rockies at #27 at the beginning of the year. I don't know if this is going to last but it sure feels good right now. A bump in the road might be the day Chacin is supposed to start- Wednesday- as I think they will probably have him skip it. He's on my fantasy team and I have him in reserve this week as I don't think he is going to pitch.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so its gonna be a blizzard tonight right? Thought I heard something about it

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's snowing pretty hard right now and I'm about 10 miles from Coors Field.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Renck posted on Twitter that he expects Tyler Chatwood to come up and make a start this week, so I'd echo the expectation of a bump in the road during that game..

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's with all the snow?? Rockies will continue to do well if they continue to get decent pitching. That's still the name of the game.

67RS..........you need to start a "Baseball History" thread.

Denver&Gators

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chatwood makes the most sense considering it is still early in the season, he has the most big league experience out of the starters in CS. This organization is in no hurry to rush Friedrich or Palmeranz to the majors. The next time they make an appearance it will be for good.

I just hope we can put up a lot of runs against Hudson

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well for this first round through the rotation without Chacin we can likely just skip his start after the snow (perhaps more days yet to be rescheduled it has been that kind of month). May end up just being one start for Chattwood and not against the Braves we will have to see how Weiss plays it.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually put Chacin on the DL so it will most likely be at least 2 starts that he will miss. I am hoping that Hudson pitches the way he has before I dropped him from my fantasy team because he was giving me huge negative numbers. If he pitches like that here, with this lineup, he will pay for it. In a somewhat related side note- some of my fantasy buddies may be confused by my saying I had Chacin on my team, possibly because one of them probably has him. I actually have a second team in a different league with a few Rockies on it- like Chacin, Tulo, and Betancourt. I wanted to see what a different team would do with a totally different makeup.

I think 67RS needs to start his "on this date in baseball history" thread. I have been missing the cool history lessons.

Maybe this year they finally are being smart in how they are going to treat Friedrich and Pomeranz, by keeping them in AAA as long as they can so they can develop better as pitchers. Those two show some promise and it would be nice to get something out of the Ubaldo deal. So we may just have to put up with Chatwood for a couple of weeks or cringe under the blanket when he fills the bases.