• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleaning your cast iron skillets

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if you have rust on it, it can be salvaged and reseasoned. No worries.

How would I accomplish such a feat...? I was going to post a pic but I cooked in it before I got on here... It may look better since I won't be scraping and washing it in the dishwasher...:L

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would I accomplish such a feat...? I was going to post a pic but I cooked in it before I got on here... It may look better since I won't be scraping and washing it in the dishwasher...:L

If you have rust on it, you're going to want to scrub it with steel wool to get rid of the rust and then reseason your pan.

To season your pan:

Coat your pan all over, inside and out, and the handle, with cooking oil
Place in a 350 degree oven for an hour.
(I like to put my cast iron on a baking sheet when I do this.)

With a new pan or one that needs reseasoning, I would do this 2 or 3 or 4 times, until I got that nice shiny black patina on it.

It's going to be a little smokey and the odor isn't going to be all that pleasing either, but that's how it's done.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more thing. Everyone I know uses cooking oil to season theirs, but I like to use crisco or bacon fat.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more thing. Everyone I know uses cooking oil to season theirs, but I like to use crisco or bacon fat.

:suds:THANKS!!! Seriously, I've never used one until recently (last 8 months) but it has become my favorite... I had noticed some rust so I scrubbed hard and it went away... After that I would scrub then drop in the dishwasher as soon as I was done using it...:L

It's a pretty interesting piece to cook with... Any special meals you might want to share...?

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! Just watched the video... I think I'm going to go with the bacon fat or crisco... I love me some saturated fats:yahoo: thanks again... If I don't forget I'll post the before and after picks... The pan is 20+ years old as I know... Is the age a plus or minus...?

Ps... Sorry for all the dumbass questions, I've been working on my cooking skills... I'd say I'm of average knowledge looking to become iron chef material... Well at least around the house... Everything I've learned has been trial and error, sorta like stumbling in here so this is very good info... At least I knew you shouldn't scrub a Teflon pan...:omg:

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! Just watched the video... I think I'm going to go with the bacon fat or crisco... I love me some saturated fats:yahoo: thanks again... If I don't forget I'll post the before and after picks... The pan is 20+ years old as I know... Is the age a plus or minus...?

Ps... Sorry for all the dumbass questions, I've been working on my cooking skills... I'd say I'm of average knowledge looking to become iron chef material... Well at least around the house... Everything I've learned has been trial and error, sorta like stumbling in here so this is very good info... At least I knew you shouldn't scrub a Teflon pan...:omg:

I also use bacon fat.

No worries about the questions. We all had to start some where, too. We're more than happy to pass on our knowledge.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:THANKS!!! Seriously, I've never used one until recently (last 8 months) but it has become my favorite... I had noticed some rust so I scrubbed hard and it went away... After that I would scrub then drop in the dishwasher as soon as I was done using it...:L

It's a pretty interesting piece to cook with... Any special meals you might want to share...?

The main thing I use it for is steak or pork steaks/chops in the winter when I can't grill and I'll make a sauce from the drippings. Either that or chicken fried "meat" of some sort with milk gravy.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing I use it for is steak or pork steaks/chops in the winter when I can't grill and I'll make a sauce from the drippings. Either that or chicken fried "meat" of some sort with milk gravy.

Yea, I love to cook steaks in it. I also cook salmon and other fish filets in it. Anything fried goes in it, especially chicken. I cook my cube steak in it and make gravies in it, like you were talking about. I'll cook just about anything in it with the exception of acidic foods ( tomatoes and such.)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Age is great, if it's been properly taken care of. The more its cooked with and seasoned, the better it is IMO.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age is great, if it's been properly taken care of. The more its cooked with and seasoned, the better it is IMO.

So I've been taking good care of it lately but I have a question... Yesterday I cooked some rib eyes in it too see how it would go and I grilled some onions in it... It caused some sticking so when I rinsed it off some of it wouldn't come off... Is that the stuff I leave on there for next cooking...? And if so do you just allow build up like that whenever it happens...? I'm a bit OCD I guess cause it eats at me not to scrub it off...:L at least I want to let it soak over night but you guys have turned that pan around so I won't do it...yet:hope:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've been taking good care of it lately but I have a question... Yesterday I cooked some rib eyes in it too see how it would go and I grilled some onions in it... It caused some sticking so when I rinsed it off some of it wouldn't come off... Is that the stuff I leave on there for next cooking...? And if so do you just allow build up like that whenever it happens...? I'm a bit OCD I guess cause it eats at me not to scrub it off...:L at least I want to let it soak over night but you guys have turned that pan around so I won't do it...yet:hope:

I use a plastic pot scraper to get the stuck on food. That's not stuff that I leave in my pan.

I have the brown one in the pic and it's work great.

scrapers.jpg

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure someone's already mentioned this, but use a little kosher salt & water to scrub off the gunk. Then re-season. "Seasoning" is the smooth surface that is left behind after many years of properly taking care of your cast iron. Chunks of food are not what you're looking for.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just deglaze it, and make a quick pan sauce...no slow simmering....10 minutes max, and it won't even fuck with yer seasoning of the pan.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a plastic pot scraper to get the stuck on food. That's not stuff that I leave in my pan.

I have the brown one in the pic and it's work great.

scrapers.jpg

:L at myself for knowing where that brown scraper came from

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pampered Chef? And you knew that at first glance?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the brown bits on yer pan after frying meat, is what cooks call a Fond. It is wonderful, and is how real gravies and sauces are made.

Add liquid of yer choice, at high heat. The liquid and heat will loosen the fond. Scrape and stir with a wooden spoon...(no metal) lotsa flavor.

With a steak...fry em, remove, add onions and some more oil, garlic, and thyme, cook till vegs are translucent. Add some flour to make a roux. cook for a few minutes stirring constantly. (consistency should be liquidish. Deglaze with red wine.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Yup I have several pampered chef items.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liek the flavoring from it. I like a seasoned pan, but one year of seasoning is fine with me. After that it starts to get a bit spoiled to me. It just tastes off. I like to self season as well, I coat the pan in safflower oil, cook it on 400 for an hour or so, pull it put, let it cool, put it on a cookie sheet and flip it over and cook it on 400 for another hour, so the oil can coat the sides as well. it is a time consuming thing, but I usually do it in the winter while I am also doing something else time consuming like making stock.

We need a cooking page. I have some fantastic recipes to share.

I have never stripped my cast iron, but I clean it with kosher salt periodically.

I love food.