• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleaning your cast iron skillets

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This when it gets really bad. When the grease gets too built up, I just use a paper towel to wipe it down.

Yep, and if/when I put it under hot water, I use a paper towel and oil it back down before putting it away.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always rinse mine out and put a thin coat of oil when I'm done. Last weekend I used the thing 7 times :hungry:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use one on pots,pans, plates, bowls etc.. before putting them in the dishwasher (except the cast iron) .

vegetable_brush.jpg

About the only thing I use a dishcloth for is wiping down the countertops, stove, etc.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Water and sponge then quickly dry with a towel.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cast irons skillets are crucial for cooking cornbread

and lol @ using soap on them

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've actually started using a cast iron that my father in law left my wife... Noticed the cooking on it is different and sad to say I scrub then put in the dishwasher after each use... I feel like a complete jerk now:noidea:

What types of food are you all cooking and why are you not cleaning this like a regular pan...?

I fry catfish in it... And I've been doing like a stir fry chicken and chicken fried stake... What should I be cooking in it and why should I stop using a knife to make sure I get everything off...?:noidea:

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've actually started using a cast iron that my father in law left my wife... Noticed the cooking on it is different and sad to say I scrub then put in the dishwasher after each use... I feel like a complete jerk now:noidea:

What types of food are you all cooking and why are you not cleaning this like a regular pan...?

I fry catfish in it... And I've been doing like a stir fry chicken and chicken fried stake... What should I be cooking in it and why should I stop using a knife to make sure I get everything off...?:noidea:

You don't clean it like a regular pan because you'll clean the oil off of it which protects if from rusting. The oil creates a coat on the pan that prevents oxygen from getting to the metal and oxidizing it.

Those food are fine to cook in it.

You don't use a knife to scrape it because it can create gashes in it that food and other things can get stuck in and prevent the oil from forming a good seal for protection and thus it will cause rust. Basically, your worst enemy with cast iron pans is rust.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't clean it like a regular pan because you'll clean the oil off of it which protects if from rusting. The oil creates a coat on the pan that prevents oxygen from getting to the metal and oxidizing it.

Those food are fine to cook in it.

You don't use a knife to scrape it because it can create gashes in it that food and other things can get stuck in and prevent the oil from forming a good seal for protection and thus it will cause rust. Basically, your worst enemy with cast iron pans is rust.

DAMN IT!!! I think I may need to look into buying a new... Thanks for the info, wish I'd have known of this thread months ago... I'll check it out and post picks to see the damage...:L

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAMN IT!!! I think I may need to look into buying a new... Thanks for the info, wish I'd have known of this thread months ago... I'll check it out and post picks to see the damage...:L

even if you have rust on it, it can be salvaged and reseasoned. No worries.