• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleaning your cast iron skillets

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you clean yours? I simply use hot water and rinse. No soaps, no detergents, no abrasives, no astringents, or any other chemicals.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know. Women are the only people in my life that ever cleaned an oven.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you clean yours? I simply use hot water and rinse. No soaps, no detergents, no abrasives, no astringents, or any other chemicals.

That...

Sometimes I use coarse salt as well if there is grime.

Once a year, I take all of my cast iron stuff and toss it into one of our bonfires and let it burn down completely. The next morning, I go get my stuff, wipe it down and season it fresh with safflower oil....

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know. Women are the only people in my life that ever cleaned an oven.

not an oven bro, and I would never let a woman, with the exception of my Mother and Grandmother, touch my cast iron.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That...

Sometimes I use coarse salt as well if there is grime.

Once a year, I take all of my cast iron stuff and toss it into one of our bonfires and let it burn down completely. The next morning, I go get my stuff, wipe it down and season it fresh with safflower oil....

You strip it back down? Hmmmm .... you're the first that I have run into that does this. Is there a noticeable difference in the flavor of your food or is it just for your peace of mind? What's the advantage? Most people build it up year in and year out, never stripping anything off of them. I have my Grandma's old set (about 5 pans) and they have a solid 1/8th in. thick crust around them.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liek the flavoring from it. I like a seasoned pan, but one year of seasoning is fine with me. After that it starts to get a bit spoiled to me. It just tastes off. I like to self season as well, I coat the pan in safflower oil, cook it on 400 for an hour or so, pull it put, let it cool, put it on a cookie sheet and flip it over and cook it on 400 for another hour, so the oil can coat the sides as well. it is a time consuming thing, but I usually do it in the winter while I am also doing something else time consuming like making stock.

We need a cooking page. I have some fantastic recipes to share.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should get teflon ones. I just set it in water for a day and scrub the fuck out of it the next

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teflon coated pans are entirely different and used for totally different things than cast iron.

I have three very very good non-sitck pans that I treat like princes.

I have a set of stainless which is high grade (expensive/all-clad), and 4 different cast iron pans that I beat the shit out of.

I also have a few good pieces of enamel-wear (le-creuset) and a cast iron dutch oven.

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liek the flavoring from it. I like a seasoned pan, but one year of seasoning is fine with me. After that it starts to get a bit spoiled to me. It just tastes off. I like to self season as well, I coat the pan in safflower oil, cook it on 400 for an hour or so, pull it put, let it cool, put it on a cookie sheet and flip it over and cook it on 400 for another hour, so the oil can coat the sides as well. it is a time consuming thing, but I usually do it in the winter while I am also doing something else time consuming like making stock.

There is one here somewhere.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do this too, but only when they are new. I may try your way with one of my newer pans to compare and see.

And yes there is a recipe thread floating around here somewhere.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More women on these boards than I thought. Do you make grilled cheese sandwiches in those skillets?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mere existence of this thread proves the NFL sucks.

When you have your oven self-clean, you throw your cast iron shit into that oven and it'll come out like new.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you people obviously don't own cast iron or don't cook in it. Again I say, I don't let women near my cast iron or my grill. That's my turf. Also I'm guessing some of you eat the fuck out of ramen noodles if you're dependent on someone else cooking for you full time. LOL @ grown men that can't cook.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you people obviously don't own cast iron or don't cook in it. Again I say, I don't let women near my cast iron or my grill. That's my turf. Also I'm guessing some of you eat the fuck out of ramen noodles if you're dependent on someone else cooking for you full time. LOL @ grown men that can't cook.

The grill, the smoker, and any tools used on either are mine. My wife knows that they are mine, but not in any intimidation sort of way. I don't have my cast iron skillet, left it for the roomates when I graduated. Wish I hadn't oh well. Need to get another one, but I know she would get grossed out by not running it through the dishwasher ever each use. So I'll just stick with grillin and smokin.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a hot water rinse w/ a veggie brush.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hey now! stfu about ramen noodles!
chashu-ramen-111.jpg

atleast say something like cup noodle...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL @ dudes that can't cook cornbread