• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleaning your cast iron skillets

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you clean yours? I simply use hot water and rinse. No soaps, no detergents, no abrasives, no astringents, or any other chemicals.

And this would be the correct way. Although you can use a plastic scrubber for stuck on items. My cast iron is so well seasoned most times a wipe with a paper towel is all I need.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you people obviously don't own cast iron or don't cook in it. Again I say, I don't let women near my cast iron or my grill. That's my turf. Also I'm guessing some of you eat the fuck out of ramen noodles if you're dependent on someone else cooking for you full time. LOL @ grown men that can't cook.

I agree a grown man should be able to cook.

LOL @ dudes that can't cook cornbread

I won't cook cornbread do not like it.

DAMN IT!!! I think I may need to look into buying a new... Thanks for the info, wish I'd have known of this thread months ago... I'll check it out and post picks to see the damage...:L

If you buy Griswold is the best, but Lodge is nice too. Honestly as long as it's made is America they all are pretty good. There are some made in China and the metal is different and thinner just be careful.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burgers in a cast iron a far superior to anything on a grill. It's been taste tested at a friends house and danm near caused a divorce.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you actually know what you are talking about! I mean no disrespect. I am impressed because I don't come across many people who know how to properly do anything when it come to cooking.

When it comes to cast iron, its important to not scratch it as some have said. Its usually best to clean the pan before it cools off completely. You should also watch for the buildup of carbon on older/well used cast iron because it will not only make things taste different but it will also keep the pan from heating up nice and even.

Also, as someone said already, cast iron cooked meats leave some of the best fond and not using the drippings for a gravy/sauce is just wrong! Take advantage of it and deglaze with wine, stock or whatever you want. Too much flavor left in the pan to let it go to waste.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love my cast irons. Can make some bangin jalapeño cornbread and pan-fried chicken in them bitches. Great for country fried cube steak with gravy too.

I don't so too much in the way of cleaning it. Boiling hot water will usually do the trick.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hooked up a couple fried eggs in it and made a sammich.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why clean it
just bring it up to 500 degrees everytime you use it
that ought to do it.