• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can the Lightning make the playoffs

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hesitant about this, he's skilled and it's obvious why the Lightning would be interested but I still have my concerns. I don't like the idea of giving up a prospect and pick and handing out a $4 mill per contract for a guy who finally had his "breakout year" last year, it's a small sample size for a decent raise. I do like his size and his mobility and despite the fact I hear he's defensive game is always improving, I still question his game from the blueline in. I wouldn't mind Franson, he'd be a good addition but i'm just stating my concerns.

If I were Yzerman my eyes would be still on Edler but in saying that, a possible deal for Edler looks more unlikely. How likely is a deal for Franson? Well if he stays put on his asking price, then yeah I think a deal is likely because the Leafs are in a hole and will be forced to do something, in saying this, with the Bolts and Leafs being divisional foes that may stop this deal happening, we'll have to see.

I like Panik but I agree Todd, I think he along with a 3rd round maybe 2nd round pick is a fair offer. I really like Panik, it would be tough to see him go. I like his speed/power game and unlike most of our forward prospects in gets in on the fore-check and hits people. Panik would be a good addition for the Maple Leafs who need to find a 3rd line RWinger and Panik would be that alongside Kulemin and Bolland. Again with the two teams being divisional foes but who else can offer them a 22 year old winger who they can plug in right away on their 3rd line, which is exactly what they need? By the way just thinking about it Leafs top 9 next year JVR, Bozak, Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Clarkson, Kulemin, Bolland and Panik, pair that with a good defense and a new promising goalie, the Leafs look good.

I think a Panik and pick for Franson is a fair deal but for this potential deal to go through, it requires Vinik to reach to his pockets because we'd have to buyout Malone. In saying this Malone's cap hit is $4.5 mill but i'm sure his salary is $2.5mill this year and just $2mill next year. It was a front loaded deal that he signed with us so it's not as bad regarding how much Vinik has to splash out this time.
IDK I almost like this deal better then getting Edler. Franson's trade value would be far less then trading for Alex Edler! Franson is the big body top 4 defenseman we really need! problem is do we think he is a number 2 defenseman ? I say no he is a number 3 or 4 guy! I know the leafs will want bret connolly so no to that Like I said I would offer panik and a 3rd rounder maybe a 2nd rounder at the most.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK I almost like this deal better then getting Edler. Franson's trade value would be far less then trading for Alex Edler! Franson is the big body top 4 defenseman we really need! problem is do we think he is a number 2 defenseman ? I say no he is a number 3 or 4 guy! I know the leafs will want bret connolly so no to that Like I said I would offer panik and a 3rd rounder maybe a 2nd rounder at the most.

It probably is a better deal from the standpoint of value in terms what you are getting and what you have to give up in order to get it. Franson will most likely peak as a second pairing defenseman (3/4), i'd like a # 2 but at this point Franson is probably the realistic option out there in order to improve this defense. The addition of Franson would rule out the ability to sign a # 2 defenseman in FA next year therefore looking forward to next year, you'd have to pair Carle, Franson or Gudas with Hedman as your # 2 defenseman, that doesn't look too good. In all honesty perhaps the best thing is to stay put and wait for the 2014 FA class rather than give up a prospect and a pick for yet another middle paring defenseman which we already have enough of.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say stay pat with what you have, this team if a possible fringe playoff team and although you'd like to improve and you have the farm system to improve, stay pat and keep your assets. Continue to ship Malone, we will find a partner for him prior to next year's trading deadline especially if the bolts include a pick but I think if a team encounters the injury bug he's there for the taking at a cheap price and although he's injury prone himself, he's still a productive top 9 forward who can provide a physical presence. Then this allows you to use the other buyout on Brewer, that will give the bolts over $20 mill of cap space next offseason. Although Yzerman will have to take care of his RFA's next year, he'll still have enough money to spend on 2 top 4 dmen. Can you imagine if our top 4 next year was something like Hedman, Hjalmarsson, Carle and Seindenberg/Oprik. In my opinion perfect, you could argue Gudas could be ready for a top 4 role but can't get in because finally we have a legit top 4 and he'd have to settle as our # 5 with Aulie as our # 6. That would be my plan, keep your assets and create as much cap as possible (ship Malone, buyout Brewer) for next year's FA and land 2 top 4 dmen.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say stay pat with what you have, this team if a possible fringe playoff team and although you'd like to improve and you have the farm system to improve, stay pat and keep your assets. Continue to ship Malone, we will find a partner for him prior to next year's trading deadline especially if the bolts include a pick but I think if a team encounters the injury bug he's there for the taking at a cheap price and although he's injury prone himself, he's still a productive top 9 forward who can provide a physical presence. Then this allows you to use the other buyout on Brewer, that will give the bolts over $20 mill of cap space next offseason. Although Yzerman will have to take care of his RFA's next year, he'll still have enough money to spend on 2 top 4 dmen. Can you imagine if our top 4 next year was something like Hedman, Hjalmarsson, Carle and Seindenberg/Oprik. In my opinion perfect, you could argue Gudas could be ready for a top 4 role but can't get in because finally we have a legit top 4 and he'd have to settle as our # 5 with Aulie as our # 6. That would be my plan, keep your assets and create as much cap as possible (ship Malone, buyout Brewer) for next year's FA and land 2 top 4 dmen.
Ya I think your right we need to save and create as much cap space as we can next year! Ya if we traded malone and bought out brewer we could very easy sign hjalmarsson and Seindenberg next year. Plus still have very good cap space for are rfa's! I say go big or stand pat! Connolly, Panik and 2nd round pick for Alex Edler or stand pat.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team definitely has a chance to make the playoffs. The Bolts definitely have alot of talented scorers. Their netminders are talented but are facing way more shots on goal than they are accustomed to seeing. With that stated and no improvements made to our lack-luster defense, can we go far into the playoffs if we do indeed make the playoffs? If we can drastically reduce the shots on goal, our netminders will shine. Bottom line I feel is that the Bolts have to better their defense to get deep into the playoffs and become consistent contenders to the playoffs in order to keep Stamkos.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensivemen remaining

What the heck is wrong with Douglass Murray? Big, gritty stay at home D-Man can keep the front of the net clear. Not a scorer but the Bolts don't really need another scorer, they need at least 1 really good D-Man. Why are the Bolts or any other team scooping him up?

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant why isn't any team scooping up Murray?

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, I don't think he's working picking up although I can understand your points of why the bolts should pick him up. If the bolts had a void, then he'd make total sense but with Hedman, Salo, Carle, Brewer, Aulie and Gudas labelled as your top 6 with young guys Sustr and Barberio battling it for the 7th spot, the bolts blueline is kinda full for the upcoming year. I think Murray will find a home, Caps and Canes make sense in my opinion.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, I don't think he's working picking up although I can understand your points of why the bolts should pick him up. If the bolts had a void, then he'd make total sense but with Hedman, Salo, Carle, Brewer, Aulie and Gudas labelled as your top 6 with young guys Sustr and Barberio battling it for the 7th spot, the bolts blueline is kinda full for the upcoming year. I think Murray will find a home, Caps and Canes make sense in my opinion.

But aren't they the same defense that allowed over 30 shots on goal per game last year? I don't think Roy would have ended up being an all time elite goalie if his defense allowed that many shots on him per game on a consistent basis. No disrespect intended to you. I respect your opinion as I do all the others.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But aren't they the same defense that allowed over 30 shots on goal per game last year? I don't think Roy would have ended up being an all time elite goalie if his defense allowed that many shots on him per game on a consistent basis. No disrespect intended to you. I respect your opinion as I do all the others.

Yeah were cool, no disrespect just a difference of a opinion, that's all. In all honesty, I don't see Murray or any defenseman on the FA market would really improve this defense. He may improve us but only slightly, he's a decent defenseman probably better suited as a bottom paring defenseman, I just don't see where he fits in despite how bad this defense is. It may be the same defense but yeah i'd stay put, Murray hardly improves us in my opinion. Stay put, I expect Hedman, Aulie and Gudas to continue to improve and develop. I also expect Carle and Brewer to also pick up their play and play up to expectation unlike last year. I think we'll still struggle but I do expect us to improve defensively and again, if the bolts can finish 15-20 in goals against, they have a good chance to make the playoffs because the offense will be up there with the league's best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah were cool, no disrespect just a difference of a opinion, that's all. In all honesty, I don't see Murray or any defenseman on the FA market would really improve this defense. He may improve us but only slightly, he's a decent defenseman probably better suited as a bottom paring defenseman, I just don't see where he fits in despite how bad this defense is. It may be the same defense but yeah i'd stay put, Murray hardly improves us in my opinion. Stay put, I expect Hedman, Aulie and Gudas to continue to improve and develop. I also expect Carle and Brewer to also pick up their play and play up to expectation unlike last year. I think we'll still struggle but I do expect us to improve defensively and again, if the bolts can finish 15-20 in goals against, they have a good chance to make the playoffs because the offense will be up there with the league's best.
looking at are divison I really doubt we make the playoffs next season I think this is another stepping season to build for the 2014-2015 season. It's hockey and anything can happen but we are about to get younger with some more growing pains.