• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can the Lightning make the playoffs

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can, will they? It's tough to say. We are in the toughest division but I do like our team, in saying that, I said that last year and where did that get us. Despite us being perhaps a little younger and inexperienced up front, I still think we are going to be up there in goals. It's going to come down to defense and goaltending. If we can rank 15th-20th in defense, I believe we make the playoffs because our offense will be in the top 10 for sure when it comes to goals. Now will the defense be good enough? It's tough to say, on paper yeah but on the ice it's a different story. With Cooper's more defensive orientated style of play and an experienced assistant coach in Rick Bowness in charge of the defense, you'd think the defense should improve of that basis alone. It also worth noting that you'd hope to see Hedman, Aulie and Gudas to grow, especially Hedman and you combine that with the fact if Brewer and Carle, especially Carle can play up to their potential, then the defense should drastically improve from the year prior. If it does, yeah I believe this is a playoff team.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much any team has a shot at making the playoffs. I think what prevented them from making the playoffs last year was their goaltending. With Bishop in net, they should be much improved in that regard. Don't know if they improved the defense tho, so the question is if he holds up. If he does hold up, I fully expect them to be in the hunt for the playoffs this season.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could sneak into the 7th or 8th spot but the defense is still a big time issue I still think they need to try and get Edler or we will be outside looking in. With the goaltending I think it is a 50/50 split between Lindback and Bishop. Really Bishop had one good game and the rest were pretty average games. It would not shock me if Lindback pushed Bishop out as the starter by mid season! But I think both goalies will play pretty well next season. But playing them 41 games each might be the way to go so we don't over load them they are used to those roles.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too would like to see us add a quality defenseman such as Edler but I can't see that happening, I think Yzerman is content with the team he has. The only deal i'm anticipating is moving Malone who is actively being shopped. No takers so far, the bolts are willing to add a pick to go along with Malone in order to move him.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too would like to see us add a quality defenseman such as Edler but I can't see that happening, I think Yzerman is content with the team he has. The only deal i'm anticipating is moving Malone who is actively being shopped. No takers so far, the bolts are willing to add a pick to go along with Malone in order to move him.
Talk today is Cody Franson a RFA for the maple leafs may be traded out of town! do you think Yzerman will have any interest ?

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I think Yzerman is always on the lookout to improve this team, so i'm sure he'll have interest but I wouldn't go near Franson. A prospect and a pick plus signing to a $4 mill plus per contract, I don't like the deal for Franson. I do think Yzerman is looking to improve our defense hence why we had interest in Edler but I also think Yzerman is content to stay put if needed, basically he isn't going to force a deal unless it makes total sense.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I think Yzerman is always on the lookout to improve this team, so i'm sure he'll have interest but I wouldn't go near Franson. A prospect and a pick plus signing to a $4 mill plus per contract, I don't like the deal for Franson. I do think Yzerman is looking to improve our defense hence why we had interest in Edler but I also think Yzerman is content to stay put if needed, basically he isn't going to force a deal unless it makes total sense.
Franson is what this team needs badly! a top 4 guy that plays hard and will hit! I would deal Connolly and Malone for Franson only if they take on Malone's deal then give them Connolly.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franson is what this team needs badly! a top 4 guy that plays hard and will hit! I would deal Connolly and Malone for Franson only if they take on Malone's deal then give them Connolly.

The only reason Toronto is interested in dealing Franson is they think he'll cost too much to re-sign. Why would they take overpaid Malone/Connolly? You would def need a sweeter offer and I agree he would be a good fit on your team

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franson is a option, but a option I don't like. I don't like the idea of giving up a prospect and a pick for him, signing $4 mill plus per contract for a guy who finally had is "breakout year" last year. I do like the fact he'd add size and a righty shot to our blueline but i'm not sold on his game from the blueline in, he doesn't provide much of a stay-at-home reliable presence which is what we really need.

If i'm Yzerman my attention is still on Alex Edler. We are talking about a all-star caliber defenseman who gives us a # 2 defenseman who can be paired with Hedman. The thing is the Bolts have a lot of decent defenseman prospects who are suited as second/third pairing defenseman such as Gudas, Aulie, Sustr, Barberio, Blujus, Sergeev, Dotchin, the only defenseman prospect with top 2 potential is Koekkoek and he's a slow project, he's probably 3 or 4 years away from being NHL ready and personally I think he's better suited as a # 3 defenseman. I think we need to acquire a # 2 defenseman, I've said that for a while going back to the ESPN days. Edler fits the bill regarding exactly what we need. He's just entering his prime and has many good years ahead of him. Just imagine 3 of 4 years down the line as Hedman, Edler, Koekkoek and Gudas as our top 4, perfect mix of size, skill, physicality and toughness.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franson is a option, but a option I don't like. I don't like the idea of giving up a prospect and a pick for him, signing $4 mill plus per contract for a guy who finally had is "breakout year" last year. I do like the fact he'd add size and a righty shot to our blueline but i'm not sold on his game from the blueline in, he doesn't provide much of a stay-at-home reliable presence which is what we really need.

If i'm Yzerman my attention is still on Alex Edler. We are talking about a all-star caliber defenseman who gives us a # 2 defenseman who can be paired with Hedman. The thing is the Bolts have a lot of decent defenseman prospects who are suited as second/third pairing defenseman such as Gudas, Aulie, Sustr, Barberio, Blujus, Sergeev, Dotchin, the only defenseman prospect with top 2 potential is Koekkoek and he's a slow project, he's probably 3 or 4 years away from being NHL ready and personally I think he's better suited as a # 3 defenseman. I think we need to acquire a # 2 defenseman, I've said that for a while going back to the ESPN days. Edler fits the bill regarding exactly what we need. He's just entering his prime and has many good years ahead of him. Just imagine 3 of 4 years down the line as Hedman, Edler, Koekkoek and Gudas as our top 4, perfect mix of size, skill, physicality and toughness.
Ya Alex Edler would be my #1 target for sure! but yzerman would need to offer the moon to trade for him I doubt we get edler.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I see Yzerman staying put with what he has. Based off his words this offseason he expects this defense to improve. With a normal working schedule, a fairly new coach with a more defensive orientated style of play and an experienced quality assistant coach in Rick Bowness in charge of the defense, Yzerman think the defense will improve of those aspects alone and if the individuals on the blueline play up to potential that will only make the defense that much more better.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I see Yzerman staying put with what he has. Based off his words this offseason he expects this defense to improve. With a normal working schedule, a fairly new coach with a more defensive orientated style of play and an experienced quality assistant coach in Rick Bowness in charge of the defense, Yzerman think the defense will improve of those aspects alone and if the individuals on the blueline play up to potential that will only make the defense that much more better.
Ya I would wait it out and hit the FA market for a FA defenseman next summer! Hjalmarsson comes to mind for me! I doubt the blackhawks will be able to resign him next summer! the lightning could get him Salo and Lee will be off the books. Plus the Lightning can buyout Malone next summer we are going to have plenty of cap space next summer to sign a top 2 defenseman for sure. I think we could sign Hjalmarsson for 5 years 5 million per season next year I think he could step into a number 2 defenseman role right by hedman.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd....... that is exactly what i'm thinking man. Stay put and then you have the cap space to target defense in FA next year, Hjalmarsson would be great! If not Hjalmarsson what about one of the most underrated defenseman in the NHL in Denis Seindenberg? Brooks Oprik is another option as is Dan Girardi and Matt Greene. Honestly I couldn't decide between Hjalmarsson or Seindenberg (with Oprik just slightly behind), either one would be a great addition next year to play with Hedman.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd....... that is exactly what i'm thinking man. Stay put and then you have the cap space to target defense in FA next year, Hjalmarsson would be great! If not Hjalmarsson what about one of the most underrated defenseman in the NHL in Denis Seindenberg? Brooks Oprik is another option as is Dan Girardi and Matt Greene. Honestly I couldn't decide between Hjalmarsson or Seindenberg (with Oprik just slightly behind), either one would be a great addition next year to play with Hedman.
Hjalmarsson would be my number 1 target over Seindenberg because Hjalmarsson is younger I think with more upside ahead. Girardi would be my number 2 target! I do notice yzerman likes the FA route to solve issues rather then give up prospects.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree regarding Yzerman going the FA route rather than giving up his prospects and if he has given up a prospect/youngster he's gotten one back in return to fill a need e.g. Aulie for Ashton, Bishop for Conacher. Yzerman will have room next year regarding cap space but I think he'll have less than what we are anticipating because we have Killorn, Aulie, Lindback, Johnson, Panik, Connolly, Sustr, Barberio, Palat, Brown as well as others as RFA's. In saying that I do believe Yzerman may still have enough to go out and get a # 2 defenseman but Yzerman has to be careful because the core of this are going to get there fair share of raises.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devilish Won nice to see you on this board. Haven't talked to you since 2004-2005. Can we make the playoffs ? We have improved no doubt but so have the rest of the Div. Only three teams of eight make it in a tough Div. With a virtual unchanged D which cost us any chance last year we have to burn up the league with goals galore.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hesitant about this, he's skilled and it's obvious why the Lightning would be interested but I still have my concerns. I don't like the idea of giving up a prospect and pick and handing out a $4 mill per contract for a guy who finally had his "breakout year" last year, it's a small sample size for a decent raise. I do like his size and his mobility and despite the fact I hear he's defensive game is always improving, I still question his game from the blueline in. I wouldn't mind Franson, he'd be a good addition but i'm just stating my concerns.

If I were Yzerman my eyes would be still on Edler but in saying that, a possible deal for Edler looks more unlikely. How likely is a deal for Franson? Well if he stays put on his asking price, then yeah I think a deal is likely because the Leafs are in a hole and will be forced to do something, in saying this, with the Bolts and Leafs being divisional foes that may stop this deal happening, we'll have to see.

I like Panik but I agree Todd, I think he along with a 3rd round maybe 2nd round pick is a fair offer. I really like Panik, it would be tough to see him go. I like his speed/power game and unlike most of our forward prospects in gets in on the fore-check and hits people. Panik would be a good addition for the Maple Leafs who need to find a 3rd line RWinger and Panik would be that alongside Kulemin and Bolland. Again with the two teams being divisional foes but who else can offer them a 22 year old winger who they can plug in right away on their 3rd line, which is exactly what they need? By the way just thinking about it Leafs top 9 next year JVR, Bozak, Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Clarkson, Kulemin, Bolland and Panik, pair that with a good defense and a new promising goalie, the Leafs look good.

I think a Panik and pick for Franson is a fair deal but for this potential deal to go through, it requires Vinik to reach to his pockets because we'd have to buyout Malone. In saying this Malone's cap hit is $4.5 mill but i'm sure his salary is $2.5mill this year and just $2mill next year. It was a front loaded deal that he signed with us so it's not as bad regarding how much Vinik has to splash out this time.

Last edited by a moderator: