• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks vs Wild Playoff Series Thread

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Handzus had a stinko game in Game 3. But he wasn't the only one. Duncan Keith was awful. Brent Seabrook was awful. Even Marian Hossa looked pretty invisible.

Hawks need to push, and push hard. Quick retrievals with support and move the puck out of the zone in a hurry. They will need to use their speed instead of getting trapped in the defensive zone.

Then, create traffic in front and take a ton of shots, most from a better angle than from the outside.

They also need to seem to be more interested in Game 4 than they appeared in Game 3.

And of course, Corey Crawford has to stop giving up goals that shouldn't be goals at yet another crucial time. Wild have scored six goals in three playoff games. At least two were very poor (the first goal in Game 1 and the last goal in OT in Game 3). At least two others were not that good either, but I'll give Corey the benefit of the doubt on those two. That leaves the two backhanders from right out in front that went top shelf in Game Three. Damn, the guy makes some outstanding saves most of the time, but just seems to let one bad goal ruin the whole night.

Looking for a much better effort tonight in Game 4. Should still be a close game again, but the Hawks better be ready for the Wild push in this game.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 4
Hawks win 3-zip. Once again, the power of gmalis comes into play. He lays into Handzus and Crawford (among others) and they come up big.

Hard to believe there might be anything to complain about after a shutout win, but I wasn't happy with all of the traffic in front of Crawford. He made some great saves, but those are the kind of "fire drill" type scenarios where the other team is allowed to crowd the crease and whack at loose pucks to get garbage goals. Shouldn't happen.

My other concern, I think even Foley and Olczyk mentioned that the Hawks top line has only accounted for 1 goal so far. Don't remember the specifics of all 4 lines, but lines 2, 3 and 4 all have more goals than our top line. I'd like to see that improve too.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe, Foley and Eddie O DID mention that the Toews line had one goal, the Handzus line had four goals, the Shaw line had three goals and the Kruger line had two goals.

Only downer from this game was the lack of scoring on the power play, yet again. Just can't seem to get it going. I'm not enamored with Handzus, Shaw, Kruger on the second unit. What's with that?

Crawford a solid effort in net. Hawks did exactly what I wanted them to do. Quicker retrievals of the puck and quicker outlets to an open player in the defensive zone. Hawks seemed to have more zip, intensity and purpose to their game than in Game 3.

Wild just got away from what won them Game 3. The maintained that heavy forecheck about five minutes into the game, but then pretty much just gave up on it. I don't understand why. The must know that they have to play gritty in order to beat the Hawks. But I don't think they maintained that after the initial Hawks penalty. A good flurry to start, but after that pretty much fizzle.

Well, I'm doing my part by calling players out and then having them play like All Stars in the next game. Anyone else you want me to put on the carpet?

Let's hope we close it out in front of the home fans tomorrow night at the UC. Good luck Hawks.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seabrook. Whoever is playing with Kruger and Frolik on the 4th line.

Let them hear it gmalis.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what is wrong with Seabrook. Maybe one too many concussions? He seems like he is disinterested, can't clear the puck out of the zone and generally just skating around in a haze.

Looks like it will be Bollig or Carcillo in Game Five. Probably Carcillo. Q doesn't usually change things up after a win unless absolutely necessary.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know things are going your way when even Marcus Kruger scores a goal.

Congrats to the Blackhawks. Nice series. Great Game 5.

On to the next victim. LOL!

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 5
I only saw the back half of the game. But at this point the Wild (with the exception of Mitchell) looked disinterested. Even though it was nearly over, I love seeing the hand-shake at the end of the game too.

Series MVP
To me this boils down to either Patrick Sharp or Corey Crawford.

Sharp seemed to be everywhere he needed to be. Since he was practically invisible during most of the shortened season, it was real nice that he decided to show up for the playoffs!

Crawford let in a couple of soft goals. But all goalies do IMO. Still don't know why the Hawks allow so many guys in the crease anyway? That kind of crowd is a recipe for disaster. Yet Crawford was able to position himself nicely.

I'm sure there may be some runner-ups to the series MVP, but Sharp and Crawford were more consistent to me.

Overall, I'd have to lean to Sharpie as the series MVP.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: