• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks vs Wild Playoff Series Thread

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this as a quick series. Hopefully. Not that I'm looking ahead to the next round, and nothing against Crawford, but we may need Emery to be a quick healer.

While I respect the Wild enough to want to give them a clunker game victory in the series, I see the Hawks sweeping in 4.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to justify the series lasting more then 5 games on paper. Of course crazy things happen in the playoffs but this is about as easy a matchup to form a strong opinion on as any with Heatley and maybe Pominville out. Suter can't play 38 minutes a game.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... Suter can't play 38 minutes a game.

... Though I half suspect that he'd be game to give it a try!

But, in the end, I fear that you're right. This was going to be a tough enough climb with all of our best scorers in the line-up: W/O Heater & Poms, I really can't see this going past five either.

Just as long as the Wild make you flat out work for at least two of those wins. - That should help to get all of the youngsters on the team 'seasoned' enough to believe in themselves come the next post-season.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Normal" starters tonight vs the Wild, with the exception of Bolland. Handzus fills in at center on the second line with Kane and Sharp...and Handzus is a better fit there anyway instead of Bolland. Bollig on the fourth line with Frolik and Kruger. I would have rather seen Ben Smith there as Smith has more offensive upside than Bollig, who unbelievably has zero points this season.

I'm looking forward for the Hawks to come out with intensity and a chip on their shoulder. Two goals in the first eight minutes for the Hawks would do wonders by getting the crowd into it and letting me relax just a bit.

I'm picking the Hawks in five, but in reality I don't see this going past four games. Stranger things have happened in the playoffs though. Gotta play them all.

SouthForkPig

StiffArmed&Dangerous
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish Pominville was playing, but thanks to Dustin Brown's elbow he'll miss his 3rd straight. I don't like our (Wild) chances tonight, but I do think we can make this a series if Backstrom can find his mid season form again. Remember we did play them tough this season. I can't wait for playoff hockey to start 90 min and counting!! Good Luck!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're wrong about Bollig, g... I hope he's a healthy scratch. I'd rather see Smith, or even LeBlanc out there (if not Car bomb).

We may need Bollig in the next series, but not against Minny.

BTW, Indy Andy - I like your avitar. Very cool.

SouthForkPig

StiffArmed&Dangerous
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already looking ahead averagejoe......shame on you!

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit I'm not the only Hawks fan anymore btw Suter played 41 mins tonight ha

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe...you won't be seeing Drew LeBlanc in the playoffs. His signing was after the playoff eligible date.

Ben Smith, on the other hand, would add some toughness and some scoring ability. Since neither Tweedle Dee nor Tweedle Dum can find the back of the net...ever. (Yes, I'm referring to Frolik and Kruger...two role players that are scoringly challenged.) Why Q insists on playing these two is beyond me. Personally, I would like to see Smith, Pirri and Morin, but at this stage of the season it's too late. Tired of seeing Frolik on his backhand all game long, and Kruger couldn't score into Lake Michigan if he had the chance.

Add in Brandon Bollig who has ZERO NHL goals in the regular season IN HIS CAREER and you have a fourth line that really uninspires me.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Harding the game time starter in goal for the Wild. Niklas Backstrom tweaks a groin in the pregame warmups and is a late scratch. Kudos to Harding for a job well done under extreme circumstances.

Hawks need to throw the kitchen sink at him if he starts again in Game Two. Way too many blocked shots by the Wild and not enough shots in traffic against Harding.

Another OT playoff game for the Hawks. It's seems like its every game now, doesn't it?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah...and Crawford with his usual soft goal given up. At least it was early and not in the OT as he usually does. On the other hand, after the first Wild shot (and score) Crawford did look very solid in net with some very crucial saves.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong outing for Harding given the circumstances. Hawks came out sloppy and bad and Minnesota played well. Chicago got better as the game moved along, might have been line rotations by Q playing a factor. None of the Chicago dmen played more than Roszival. 3rd line was excellent. Zucker was an animal for the Wild, seemed to be in a dangerous spot every other shift Yeo put him out there for.

As long as that trash bag Konopka is on the ice, we'll have to see Bollig. I was so happy to see him get smeared by Bickell.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
neither Tweedle Dee nor Tweedle Dum can find the back of the net...ever. (Yes, I'm referring to Frolik and Kruger...two role players that are scoringly challenged.) Why Q insists on playing these two is beyond me.
g, I guess there's a reason that they are 4th line guys. (scoringly challenged) I don't hate them perhaps as much as you do. (Bollig, yes.) In fact, I've been impressed with Frolik's hustle all season. I can recall a few times on the PK where he single-handedly took off about 20-25 seconds by chasing pucks down and mucking it up along the boards. Sometimes I think Frolik's problem is that he doesn't show patience with the puck.

As for Kruger, I see him as a poor-man's Stalberg. His time will come. Looked like Q had him on the faceoff dot which is important. There were a few times when Q sent out the 4th line against the Wild's top line - no harm came to the Hawks.

Game 1
Like Doug and g already said, Harding did superb between the pipes. "The trap" the Wild were playing kept the Hawks out of sync. That and the fact that the Hawks' passing was terrible for about 2 and a half periods.

You throw in a couple of chances by the Wild (the open net wrap around that Hjalmersson stopped; and the puck off of the crossbar) and this could have been the "clunker" game.

Not a good game to watch. Then again, it was a good game to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the only Hawks fan anymore

Q statche, some of us are refugees from the CBS Message Board. There were a lot more of us (on CBS), but apparently only gmalis and Doug (if that is his real name) made it over to SportsHoopla.

Saw that Backstrom is doubtful for game 2. So is Stoner.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q statche, some of us are refugees from the CBS Message Board. There were a lot more of us (on CBS), but apparently only gmalis and Doug (if that is his real name) made it over to SportsHoopla.

Saw that Backstrom is doubtful for game 2. So is Stoner.

oh well thats how I got here, except from ESPN. Welcome guys

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, outstanding criticism of Michael Frolik...as he nets two goals tonight, including a shorthanded goal.

If you want more scoring, just let me know which player I should dis in my post. Assured that they will score at least one or more in a game.

Egg on my face...as usual.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, outstanding criticism of Michael Frolik...as he nets two goals tonight, including a shorthanded goal.

If you want more scoring, just let me know which player I should dis in my post. Assured that they will score at least one or more in a game.

Egg on my face...as usual.

Keep bashing Frolik, I love shouting Frolik Navidad Bitches everytime he scores.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
g, just pick someone to bash. I'd like to wrap this up in four straight.

Game 2
Seems so long ago, but it looked like the Wild abandoned the "trap" and the Hawks had all kinds of room to skate. I'd like to see our PP do better. But over all, the Hawks dominated the game. Even Bickell's empty netter was a determined effort.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GAME 3

Tough OT loss after Keith tied it late in the third period.

Crawford sensational early, but as usual gives up a really bad goal in OT for the loss. Oduya had control of the puck with a man down at his feet but didn't do anything with the puck.

Wild more determined for 2 1/2 periods by clobbering the Hawks in hits and limiting shots and almost giving up no rebounds. Hawks, at times, looked sluggish and disinterested until they fell behind in the third period.

Hawks need to show more determination throughout and not think this will be a cakewalk series now.

Toews and Saad having a rough go of it so far. Lotsa clutching and grabbing Toews not letting him maneuver.

Hawks getting suckered in behind their own net. Need some help and some support in that area.

Not too disappointing in the outcome. Figured the Wild would throw everything they had at the Hawks. Hawks just need to play faster and get more pucks to the net.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bolland out, Emery out.

Bolland has missed quite a bit of time. Not sure they should even consider plugging him in anywhere other than the 4th line for a while when he does come back. I would prefer Handzus stays on the 2 until he has 2 bad games in a row, 1 down.

Bolland has pretty much killed any strong trade value he would have over the summer. We'll just have to hope for good health for him next year.