• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks Offseason Thread

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope thats the front office trying to get something better than a third round pick back for him.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Versteeg missed almost all of last season didn't he? I mean, there is a possibility that he comes back next season much better.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking at the chart, Hossa is worth every cent. The guy rarely takes a shift off, and hardly gets knocked off the puck. Next is Toews and Keith. Solid two-way players.

Looking at the chart, Shaw is (as The Who sang) "a bargain." I think it'll be tough to keep Saad. Let me rephrase that, with some of the other committed contracts we have to other players who might be harder to move so as to make room for Saad, it'll be tough. Not to mention the assumed raises that 19 & 88 will get.

It would be great to trade Versteeg, or possibly Seabrook, but not many teams want to absorb the salary, especially if their front offices see the same regressive play that we see.

I think they got TOO generous with Hjalmarsson and Bickell. I love both. But Nik and Bick don't exactly put pucks in the net.

My guess is Leddy is gone. So is Oduya and Rozsival. (And I like Rozie too. He's a skilled puck handler, who doesn't panic, which I feel gets overlooked.)

I think the one intangible that the Hawks do have going for them is that they are a marquee NHL team. You never know if some of the existing players will accept a hometown discount to stay. And you never know which UFA's from other clubs may be willing to come to the Hawks on the cheap?

I just hope they get someone who can win a faceoff.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its tough to consider this, but we watched Wayne Gretzky get moved after 4 cup wins. Edmonton knew they were not gonna be able to resign him, they knew he wanted to be in LA with his actress wife, they made the deal.

I'll have to check this out - do you remember the name of the piece?

While what you stated is true, the biggest driver for the Oilers was actually the Alberta Treasury Branches were calling on the lines of credit issued to then-Oilers owner Peter Pocklington. They wanted 19% on the credit, which in these days would be considered predatory lending (rates were between 10-12% back then in 1988).

He had no choice but to trade Gretzky, and McNall sent $15 million US as part of the deal to land Greztly here. That money was used to pay off the Alberta Treasury. Otherwise, he was going to lose the Oilers.

McNall was a scheister and fraudulently made his millions, and the whole situation was simply stellar luck for him - Oilers can't keep him, have no money to pay him or the LOCs, he is the greatest player in hockey who is in his prime and his wife lives in LA, and LA needed a star. Unreal.

That trade is so fascinating on so many levels, and it seems time to time we hear new snippets of it and new or unknown information comes out. Nutty.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that Sharp is probably the one who will be moved in order to make room for a true 2C if the Hawks go that route.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to check this out - do you remember the name of the piece?

While what you stated is true, the biggest driver for the Oilers was actually the Alberta Treasury Branches were calling on the lines of credit issued to then-Oilers owner Peter Pocklington. They wanted 19% on the credit, which in these days would be considered predatory lending (rates were between 10-12% back then in 1988).

He had no choice but to trade Gretzky, and McNall sent $15 million US as part of the deal to land Greztly here. That money was used to pay off the Alberta Treasury. Otherwise, he was going to lose the Oilers.

McNall was a scheister and fraudulently made his millions, and the whole situation was simply stellar luck for him - Oilers can't keep him, have no money to pay him or the LOCs, he is the greatest player in hockey who is in his prime and his wife lives in LA, and LA needed a star. Unreal.

That trade is so fascinating on so many levels, and it seems time to time we hear new snippets of it and new or unknown information comes out. Nutty.

Wayne Gretzky package 20 year anniversary of the greatest trade - Complete revision for launch - 20th Anniversary of the Greatest Deal

I remember hearing Gretzky wanted to go to LA to be with his actress wife, I didnt see much about that on the show. It was more of the way both sides were able to keep this a secret until after it was done. Maybe that was a chicago reaction.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that Sharp is probably the one who will be moved in order to make room for a true 2C if the Hawks go that route.

Dude was snakebit bad in the WCFs, he was actually the one I was worried about most. He has been a King killer for the last several years and I assumed he was going to victimize Quick time and time again. When he got the 2 goals in Game 7 I was thinking "great, NOW this guy decides to show up?" but fortunately the Kings were able to win the series.

He is a good player, if the Hawks truly are thinking about moving him they will should have no shortage of suitors and therefore a decent return. The contract is a bit of a handcuff but the way I look at it is if Luongo can be moved, just about anyone can.

OT: I attended the Kings/Hawks Thanksgiving weekend in 2010, our seats were about 10 rows up from where John Scott made a mess of Kevin Westgarth's face. It was so bad, Westgarth's blood was smeared on the glass. Hawks were killing the Kings, he tries to step up and get something going and it absolutely blew up in the Kings' face. They looked more dejected after the fight than before.

Sharp scored a few that night too if I recall including the GW.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude was snakebit bad in the WCFs, he was actually the one I was worried about most. He has been a King killer for the last several years and I assumed he was going to victimize Quick time and time again. When he got the 2 goals in Game 7 I was thinking "great, NOW this guy decides to show up?" but fortunately the Kings were able to win the series.

He is a good player, if the Hawks truly are thinking about moving him they will should have no shortage of suitors and therefore a decent return. The contract is a bit of a handcuff but the way I look at it is if Luongo can be moved, just about anyone can.

The ironic part is that he was their 2C when they won the Cup in 2010...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ironic part is that he was their 2C when they won the Cup in 2010...

I remember that, I watched that whole run. He is a solid player and was a steal from Philadelphia.

Would he be a casualty of the cap situation? Why would the Hawks move him? I know Kane and Toews are due new contracts, and Crawford's new one kicks in July 1 but that is a player I would try and hold on to while making moves elsewhere - 34 goals, scoring timely goals and leadership don't grow on trees.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they arent gonna tear up the kane and toews contracts and pay them more next year, they will finish off the old one at 6.3 each that should get us a year more. Seabrook cannot be our highest paid defenseman, its just wrong. I think Keith made Seabrook look like a much better player than he actually is all these years, so his value should be good. Alot of people wont mind Leddy being moved, even though he actually takes shots. I still think Oduya did more to screen Crow than any of our defenders so even though he was on his game in the playoffs, I think he can be moved. The biggest problem is losing a righty defender will probably keep Hammer on his backhand.

They really are not looking to get anything more than picks back. The system is full of defenders that are deserving a shot. We have offense ready to contribute. All they need is a chance. You bring in another center these guys just get knocked down another rung on the ladder.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that, I watched that whole run. He is a solid player and was a steal from Philadelphia.

Would he be a casualty of the cap situation? Why would the Hawks move him? I know Kane and Toews are due new contracts, and Crawford's new one kicks in July 1 but that is a player I would try and hold on to while making moves elsewhere - 34 goals, scoring timely goals and leadership don't grow on trees.

I agree. Coming off of a season where he led the team in points during the regular season, this makes little sense.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from hockeybuzz, for what it's worth:

Mike Richards to NJ, NYI, Chicago or Anaheim?

It is starting to sound more and more like Mike Richards, fresh off the Stanley Cup victory, could be bought out or traded. The Blackhawks are among the teams most interested I am told if a trade were to occur. The Devils, Islanders and Ducks would have interest if he is bought out and Richie were to become a free agent.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from hockeybuzz, for what it's worth:

Mike Richards to NJ, NYI, Chicago or Anaheim?

It is starting to sound more and more like Mike Richards, fresh off the Stanley Cup victory, could be bought out or traded. The Blackhawks are among the teams most interested I am told if a trade were to occur. The Devils, Islanders and Ducks would have interest if he is bought out and Richie were to become a free agent.

I think it could be a good move, depending on how much it'll cost in cap space. Cheaper than Kesler I would imagine.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really dont think this team needs a veteran center unless they plan to not resign kane, or are planning on moving sharp or hossa. Definitely need to give Teuvo a shot, we all know there are plenty available at the deadline when you see how your kids take over. Sounds like a bunch of noise to me to make sure kane and toews are seeing they are looking to improve. When they sign july 1st we should start seeing more realistic news.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really dont think this team needs a veteran center unless they plan to not resign kane, or are planning on moving sharp or hossa. Definitely need to give Teuvo a shot, we all know there are plenty available at the deadline when you see how your kids take over. Sounds like a bunch of noise to me to make sure kane and toews are seeing they are looking to improve. When they sign july 1st we should start seeing more realistic news.

Seemed to me that the lack of center depth was the difference between them and the Kings in the WCF. Gotta figure the Hawks & Kings are likely to meet up again and they gotta address that mismatch or else it will be difficult to pass the Kings in the future.

BTW, I'm not bashing the Hawks, I feel my Pens need to increase center depth as well. It might just be the most important position in hockey. You could do almost anything if you have center depth, it compensates for so many shortcomings.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the hawks won in 2010 with Sharp at center. I just think you take the opportunity to allow Smith and Teuvo to center the second line and take til the deadline to make a move. There are always centers available at that time. Even some of these guys they are looking at now might be traded by their new teams. I dont know if Kane, Saad and Shaw will stick together or not. Seems like when it works in the playoffs, it goes to the back burner after the second or third game to save it for the playoffs.

With the cap situation and waiting for the kane and toews dollars, it seems important to wait. I dont think Richards did much for the rangers. You look at the kings centers and think they dominated the dot, if any of them are available you look that way, but wanting a guy that got beat by kings doesnt seem to be an answer to get past them.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the hawks won in 2010 with Sharp at center. I just think you take the opportunity to allow Smith and Teuvo to center the second line and take til the deadline to make a move. There are always centers available at that time. Even some of these guys they are looking at now might be traded by their new teams. I dont know if Kane, Saad and Shaw will stick together or not. Seems like when it works in the playoffs, it goes to the back burner after the second or third game to save it for the playoffs.

With the cap situation and waiting for the kane and toews dollars, it seems important to wait. I dont think Richards did much for the rangers. You look at the kings centers and think they dominated the dot, if any of them are available you look that way, but wanting a guy that got beat by kings doesnt seem to be an answer to get past them.

The rumor is MIKE Richards from the Kings, not BRAD Richards form the Rangers. :suds:

Anyway, I would be fine with moving Sharp back to center. But, I personally would not be comfortable with just assuming that the 2C for next year is already on the roster. I don't believe TT is ready yet - perhaps 2015/16, and I'm not convinced he's a good fit for Kane as they are almost the same player in terms of style. I also wouldn't be surprised if Kane is putting pressure on the organization to make this happen before signing. Regardless, I would be extremely disappointed if the Hawks weren't exploring all options for an upgrade at that spot. If there truly isn't a good deal to be had then fine, but I think a true 2C - the RIGHT 2C - would make the team better, assuming it didn't cost key players to acquire that piece or to free up cap space.