• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Black Sails

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch both of those shows and Billions on Showtime. So right now I'm getting backed up having 3 different hour long shows to watch each week. Coming up real soon I watch Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley both on HBO, and I watch Power on Starz. I think it was last fall, I watched the first season of Into the Badlands I think it was called, and I really liked that. But for a good 1/4 - 1/3 of the year I really don't watch anything but sports.

I really sat here thinking I didn't watch much TV anymore, and then I easily listed off 7 shows that I catch every episode of, along with probably I minimum of 10 hours of football every week for the entire season (usually my college team, my pro team and at least one more game between the two days). Plus thursday night games and monday night games on occasion. Then the whole NCAAB tourney, and obviously the entire NFL draft. Geez no wonder I'm so fat.

I was kind of with you up till the college football, NCAA hoops and NFL draft stuff. You deserve to be fat if you watch that shit....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen Vikings, but I've heard it's good.

I will say that, generally speaking, pirates are cooler than Vikings.

You just do a crossover, Viking-pirates, which may be a bit redundant.

Not as cool as Ninja Pirates anyway.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont watch much TV, but I was making an Ultimate Nox Arcana thread in the music section and there was a song titles Black Sails. And it reminded me of the fact in December my brother convinced me to watch the show up to that point, which was a major mistake.

Here is a Metaphor for the Show...

I am going to Climb a Mountain.
I will Prepare to Climb a Mountain.
Now that I am ready to Climb a Mountain.
I swim to a Ship and Sail Away...

Rinse, Repeat...

I just summed up the entire show...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the point of your post.

Good show.

Last episode I learned what 'keelhauled' actually meant. Ouch...

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good show.

LMAO, I dont even remember making this post...

The point was the Entire Show Builds to a Moment then for no Real Reason changes course, makes no sense...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO, I dont even remember making this post...

The point was the Entire Show Builds to a Moment then for no Real Reason changes course, makes no sense...

Well I assume they didn't know how many seasons they were going to get, so there's the idea of not knowing how much of the story they were going to get to tell. And while they're taking some liberties with fictionalizing, I think they're trying to stay true to that time period and what happened with Nassau.

It's not a cheap show to produce. Locations, sets, costumes, battles, ... there was every chance it would have been killed after season one. (as was the by comparison weak as shit 'Crossbones.'

So I'd be willing to go so far as to say that the overall story structure hasn't been as good as it COULD be, (Is Flynt our main character, or it strictly an ensemble piece?) it's still a pretty damned good quality TV show.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I assume they didn't know how many seasons they were going to get, so there's the idea of not knowing how much of the story they were going to get to tell. And while they're taking some liberties with fictionalizing, I think they're trying to stay true to that time period and what happened with Nassau.

It's not a cheap show to produce. Locations, sets, costumes, battles, ... there was every chance it would have been killed after season one. (as was the by comparison weak as shit 'Crossbones.'

So I'd be willing to go so far as to say that the overall story structure hasn't been as good as it COULD be, (Is Flynt our main character, or it strictly an ensemble piece?) it's still a pretty damned good quality TV show.

While I cannot argue that, though I would point out you yourself gave the reason for that, Money. For me once the Story make no sense, I cannot continue to watch, and this Story makes non sense. I feel like a Ping Pong ball. They are Fictionalizing a Fictional Character(s). That also hurts the Story.

I cannot watch shows that Blow the Story. Its like Lost and Game of Thrones, shows that makes no sense...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I cannot argue that, though I would point out you yourself gave the reason for that, Money. For me once the Story make no sense, I cannot continue to watch, and this Story makes non sense. I feel like a Ping Pong ball. They are Fictionalizing a Fictional Character(s). That also hurts the Story.

I cannot watch shows that Blow the Story. Its like Lost and Game of Thrones, shows that makes no sense...

Game of Thrones makes 'no sense?'

Uh, what?

I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole here, but what are you talking about? Lost? Sure, they got silly with all their twists and turns, and trying to keep the audience guessing. But what's unclear about GOT?

And the pirate era of the West Indies wasn't fictional. That happened. SOME of the characters that came out of it WERE fictional.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh, what?

I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole here, but what are you talking about? Lost? Sure, they got silly with all their twists and turns, and trying to keep the audience guessing. But what's unclear about GOT?

And the pirate era of the West Indies wasn't fictional. That happened. SOME of the characters that came out of it WERE fictional.
To use a Modern Metaphor...

Hitlers Daughter Returns with Nukes and a Slave Army to reclaim the 3rd Reich....

Any person with ANY Self Awareness would never do what she did. Think about it, She goes to BUY a SLAVE ARMY, then in a Mockery of Freewill, tells people who have been Slaves Since Birth for over 20 Years, that they Choose her, after Slaughtering their Masters, or Whatever...

Pure Fucking Evil, yet Written as Not....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh, what?

Yeah, GOT is freaking Badass. If the OP is saying Black Sails is like GOT, I'm gonna give it a shot, despite his negative review....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To use a Modern Metaphor...

Hitlers Daughter Returns with Nukes and a Slave Army to reclaim the 3rd Reich....

Any person with ANY Self Awareness would never do what she did. Think about it, She goes to BUY a SLAVE ARMY, then in a Mockery of Freewill, tells people who have been Slaves Since Birth for over 20 Years, that they Choose her, after Slaughtering their Masters, or Whatever...

Pure Fucking Evil, yet Written as Not....

?????

She told people they chose her?

Maybe you need a re-watch/re-read?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?????

She told people they chose her?

Maybe you need a re-watch/re-read?
Maybe you do, the last Scene I ever watched is burned into my Brain.

She perpetuates the Myth the Slave Masters cannot Understand what she says.
She then Slaughters the Slave Master, with (Metaphor) Nukes, in a Betrayal of her Word.
She then Turns to the Slave Army, who has spent their entire Life in Slavery to these Masters who have been Dispatched in Seconds, and Gives them that which they have never Known in the Face of a Power They have Never Known, with ZERO Explanation...

Pure Fucking Evil...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you do, the last Scene I ever watched is burned into my Brain.

She perpetuates the Myth the Slave Masters cannot Understand what she says.
She then Slaughters the Slave Master, with (Metaphor) Nukes, in a Betrayal of her Word.
She then Turns to the Slave Army, who has spent their entire Life in Slavery to these Masters who have been Dispatched in Seconds, and Gives them that which they have never Known in the Face of a Power They have Never Known, with ZERO Explanation...

Pure Fucking Evil...

Poor slave masters!

(I have re-read the books btw, multiple times, and listened to the books on tape, and watched the TV shows)

Heh. Look, if this is where we start, there's nowhere to go down the rabbit hole. I won't convince you, so go nuts, and believe what you want to believe.

And ABSOLUTELY, there's a lot of metaphor/symbolism that relates to our lives, that's what good stories DO. Dragonfire? Why not the firebombing of Dresden?

But c'mon dude, she FREES the slaves, including her unsullied. Gives them the option to leave her service and go their own way. They stay OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL.

You don't get to make up your own facts.

Are the books full of shades of grey heroes who shade into villiany at the drop of a hat? Absolutely. That's one of the reasons why people love them. There's no shortage of fantasy fiction where the good guys wear white and the bad guys wear black. Tolkien is great stuff. Maybe that would be more for you?

But I have no idea what you're blathering on about 'evil' for. You get that characters are different from authors, right? That Mark Twain was commenting ABOUT racism? That Jonathan Swift didn't ACTUALLY want to eat Irish babies? That Cormac McCarthy doesn't actually advocate killing people with pressurized air, or eating people after the apocalypse?

Martin fills his world with very conflicted characters, who are capable of acts of both good AND evil.

Kind of like real life.

Huh, wonder why he'd do that?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor slave masters!

But c'mon dude, she FREES the slaves, including her unsullied. Gives them the option to leave her service and go their own way. They stay OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL.

You don't get to make up your own facts.

Are you Serious?

Let me try and break this down as Simply as Possible.

1. They were SLAVES FROM BIRTH, They have NO IDEA nor ANY Experience in Free Will.
2. Those who held Power over them, were Slaughtered in Seconds.
3. Power Used is what made them Slaves in the First Place.

Explain how in the Face of the Power Of Dragons, Life Long Slaves exercised Free Will, Please Explain that...

Also if you FREE Slaves, how can you make them do what they were in Slavery To Do.

I freed Slave Soldiers, now they are Just My Soldiers...............

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good show.

That episode, once it got going, was intense.

Kinda liked Blackbeard. Oh well.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the season 2 and 3 finales were awesome.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you Serious?

Let me try and break this down as Simply as Possible.

1. They were SLAVES FROM BIRTH, They have NO IDEA nor ANY Experience in Free Will.
2. Those who held Power over them, were Slaughtered in Seconds.
3. Power Used is what made them Slaves in the First Place.

Explain how in the Face of the Power Of Dragons, Life Long Slaves exercised Free Will, Please Explain that...

Also if you FREE Slaves, how can you make them do what they were in Slavery To Do.

I freed Slave Soldiers, now they are Just My Soldiers...............

I'm guessing an ether binge. Am I right?