• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Been Car Shopping What A Nightmare

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should ban rmilia.

Honest car people might exist but I never met one of them in my couple of years in the business. Man, they'll take your money away from you and laugh at you to your face because they've got you believing you got a good deal.

rmilia is right about car dealers losing money, though. Many of the deals they make result in a loss for them. Many times they just need to move the car or get rid of it.

I sure am glad I got out of that business without losing my ass.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest car people might exist but I never met one of them in my couple of years in the business. Man, they'll take your money away from you and laugh at you to your face because they've got you believing you got a good deal.

rmilia is right about car dealers losing money, though. Many of the deals they make result in a loss for them. Many times they just need to move the car or get rid of it.

The most honest car dealer I ever saw was Carmax... the prices were the prices..... no exceptions.. no commissioned sales people...

My wife also had a 328 back in those days.. and the dealers were offering like 14-16k on trade. Walked into Carmax and got $22k. They cut me a check and I walked out.. didn't even have to buy a vehicle from them to get the sale.

Dealers have so many different ways to fuck you...

Car price
Trade In
Interest Rate
Length of Financing
Extra loaded into the contract
Finance sales tricks (under coating, extended warranties, etc.)

It is a neverending nightmare of shit...

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know, I hate the prospect of buying a new car. My personality type doesn't mesh with the "sales type" to begin with... when I have to deal with a bunch of fake, plastic, wallet rapists, well... I'm not good at dealing with it. (no offense rmilia, I'm sure you're a good dude:yahoo:)

Why we just fight for the car or something?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been scouring the local ads for a while, it's amazing some of the variance in prices. You can see a 2005 Silverado with 110,000 miles on it for $16,500 one minute, and then a 2008 with 75,000 for a grand more. I'm only looking at V8's with four wheel drive, so it's not like I'm comparing a RWD WT to a 2500 or something. I don't give two shits about leather, OnStar, DVD, power seats, any of that shit. That's all just extra money to me... I got a guy at work trying soooo hard to convince me to buy a used Audi or BMW... of course, every week he's bitching about how you need a degree in engineering just to change an air filter on a BMW. Fuck that, I'm not hauling a boat trailer down a two track and throwing dead animals in the trunk of a fucking BMW.

I'm pretty confident I can find something in good shape between 2007-2010, with 50k-75k, for between $16,000-18,000. I just have to be patient, and when the right deal comes in I'll swoop in and grab it. I'm so sick of my car.

I could get THAT vehicle for half the price your talking about...keep looking and be patient Ed..

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to try to get the finance manager so irritated and confused that he just agrees to sell the car to me at a loss to get me outta' there. Then, at the last minute, I change my mind anyway and walk out to go home and buy some old man's cremepuff for sale down the street.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to try to get the finance manager so irritated and confused that he just agrees to sell the car to me at a loss to get me outta' there. Then, at the last minute, I change my mind anyway and walk out to go home and buy some old man's cremepuff for sale down the street.

You should write a how too book on that.

Sidenote: As I typed that, I heard my dog let out a 15 second fart.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, my point is your should step DOWN to a car you can pay for with cash... and if you can afford 35k... then save 10k by buying a used Accord that is 2 years old with 30-35k miles.

Also, BMW as some of the most expensive cars for maintenance.... along with Mercedes. I have owned a few brand news ones and I will never buy one with my own money.

Now, if you are like me and have a company paying for your cars... or you have your own company and can expense them reducing the effective cost by 30%... then that changes things entirely.

I appreciate the advice I just don't agree. And I really like the redesigned Accord this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to try to get the finance manager so irritated and confused that he just agrees to sell the car to me at a loss to get me outta' there.

So you think...I have several friends in car sales and one is a finance manager for a Mazada dealer...you might be frustrating the hell out of the guy, but that would be extremely rare for any car to leave that lot at a loss.

But you never follow thru anyway so no harm, no foul.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think...I have several friends in car sales and one is a finance manager for a Mazada dealer...you might be frustrating the hell out of the guy, but that would be extremely rare for any car to leave that lot at a loss.

But you never follow thru anyway so no harm, no foul.

It's just like trolling on the interwebs. You come in like a poor dummy and lead them in all kinds of fun directions...remembering every little promise and quote. Then, by the time they start to figure out your smerter than they originally realized, they have time invested and don't want to have wasted it on a non-sale. You hold that letter you got in the mail touting $5k off their best deal until nobody is having fun anymore - that adds a little more fun. Etc etc...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what they want you to think.
Dealers make money from the factory in ways that you'll never see or know about.
They always say they don't make money so they can pay the salesmen on a mini deal.
What kind of 'pack' does your dealer work on. I bet they tell you its for advertising and make ready and such.
:lol:

We do not have a new car pack, our used car pack is 400 bucks which is below industry standars. Of course dealers get dealer cash, volume incentive, floor plan cuts etc etc. Ive been in the business long enough to know all that but you also arent taking into account wholesale losses on used cars, gas bills for the month ( which are sometimes as high as 30K a month) etc. Dealerships lose money all the time on sales but as I said that is really no concern since thats not where the cash is at.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, we lose money all the time on deals man. I always get a kick out of people that think like you. I guess it makes sense because why would anyone sell something to lose money right?? The reality is that sales is just a vehicle to bring people in for service, parts. Thats where the real money is at a dealership. We sell 200 cars a month and there is months that we make 200K on those cars and there have been months we lose 50K to sell 200 cars but service and parts makes 5-600K a month because people will negotiate for 3 hours over 10 dollars a month in payment but not bat an eye when they get charged 90 dollars per hour to work on their car after they buy it. Its insane.

:agree:

100% true.

I've been in Automotive Service for 13 years and I can tell you that every dollar you trimmed off the MSRP is made back ten fold in the service department.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pay cash and buy used cars from eBay and Craigslist. You'll never convince me that buying a new car is a good investment. Sorry but that's utter nonsense.

No, buying a new car is never a good investment because cars always decrease in value and do so very quickly. The moment you drive a new car off the lot, bam, it just lost about 8-10 grand in value right there! Because by definition it isn't a new car anymore. That's why you have GAP insurance because if you total your new car the insurance company is not going to give you enough money to pay it off. That's what GAP insurance is for.

The only way to make a good investment out of a car is to restore one or build it up to make it worth more than it was when you bought it.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a crock of shit maybe if you are buying a Ford or Chrylser or a vehicle that depreciated 10 k the first year. Most Hondas do not depreciate a ton after one year, combine that with a lower interest rate and I prefer the new ride.

About the only way a new car can be considered a decent investment is if you plan to drive until the wheels fall off. If you buy planning to trade later, you are ripping yourself off. Big time.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most honest car dealer I ever saw was Carmax... the prices were the prices..... no exceptions.. no commissioned sales people...

My wife also had a 328 back in those days.. and the dealers were offering like 14-16k on trade. Walked into Carmax and got $22k. They cut me a check and I walked out.. didn't even have to buy a vehicle from them to get the sale.

Dealers have so many different ways to fuck you...

Car price
Trade In
Interest Rate
Length of Financing
Extra loaded into the contract
Finance sales tricks (under coating, extended warranties, etc.)

It is a neverending nightmare of shit...

There is also:

Dealer holdback
Manufacturer holdback
length of loan
points (the guy/gal sitting in the office when you sign your papers makes a killing off of you! Generally, most car dealers allow the finance person to get all money from the "points.")

You are told the loan is at .062 percent. If you read the fine print, which nobody does, you will see it is actually .062012 per cent. All of that extra crap on the end goes to the dealer and/or the finance person and/or the lending institution. And it comes out of your pocket.

Many dealers throw in a $150 delivery fee. Make them take that off your paperwork because it's BS! It costs him $150 to drive the car around the building and have it cleaned for you? I don't think so.

This is a true story. Once I sold a truck to a guy and he drove it away and everything seemed fine. Later, he came back because the truck was rattling when he drove it over 55 mph. The reason for this, which was not ever disclosed to the customer, was that another salesman had changed the wheels off that truck (I didn't know he had, I swear!) and put crappy ones back on it. I had quit so I don't know if the dealer ever made it right for the guy but I doubt they ever did.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I hate the prospect of buying a new car. My personality type doesn't mesh with the "sales type" to begin with... when I have to deal with a bunch of fake, plastic, wallet rapists, well... I'm not good at dealing with it. (no offense rmilia, I'm sure you're a good dude:yahoo:)

Why we just fight for the car or something?

The best thing to do is to take a mechanic with you and look at used cars. Most mechanics will charge you around $50-100 per car to check out so make sure you want to buy the car before you take the mech to check it out. That $50-100 may be the best investment you will ever make, I assure you of that. Mechanics kept me and my wife from buying horrendous cars that looked good and drove good.

Take a mechanic with you and have him check it out good before you sign anything!

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the only way a new car can be considered a decent investment is if you plan to drive until the wheels fall off. If you buy planning to trade later, you are ripping yourself off. Big time.

Again. WRONG unless you are flat out buying a cash car, loosely translated a car that will have issue soon.

But believe what you want. And for the most part I for one do drive a car until damn near the wheels fall off.

Last edited by a moderator:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. WRONG unless you are flat out buying a cash car, loosely translated a car that will have issue soon.

:wtf2:

But believe what you want. And for the most part I for one do drive a car until damn near the wheels fall off.

I am speaking from experience, dude. If you are planning on driving it until the wheels fall off, why are you saying you disagree with me?

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2:

I am speaking from experience, dude. If you are planning on driving it until the wheels fall off, why are you saying you disagree with me?

I am disagreeing b/c I do not think used is the best way to go. Unless you are buying a cash care aka maybe 10 k or less. I have explained why earlier, and you are the the only person here with buying experience

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just like trolling on the interwebs. You come in like a poor dummy and lead them in all kinds of fun directions...remembering every little promise and quote. Then, by the time they start to figure out your smerter than they originally realized, they have time invested and don't want to have wasted it on a non-sale. You hold that letter you got in the mail touting $5k off their best deal until nobody is having fun anymore - that adds a little more fun. Etc etc...

Interesting...true story per my friend in auto finance. guy comes in buying his daughter a car...paying cash and he liked this MB 350...'09 with 45k mi. Posted price was $19.5k which is about the retail price for the mi, features and condition. He says they bought the car with hard money for about $14,750 in a package deal with 4 other cars. They put minimal service into it basically oil/air filter change, put new tires on it and would sell for around $18.5k at the lowest.

He offers $16k cash, no deal, $16.5k, no. Comes back a week later $17k, no. The car sold for $18.6k after being on the lot 40+ days...different buyer...the point was they were willing to let this guy walk 3 times because the bean counter's profit margin number was not met.