• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears are signing McDonald & Jenkins

C

cubzzzfanincali

Bears are signing Ray McDonald and Jarvis Jenkins.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After googling..................... two more defensive ends from San Francisco, McDonald has things to prove.

I guess its looking like we are getting away from DE with the first pick for sure with these two.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't know that anything is "for sure." Jenkins is a backup-grade player. McDonald is an old vet who knows Fangio's system, so I'd expect he can make the roster, but he's hardly the future at the position.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any take on McDonald's legal problems? I've been a big supporter of Pace and applauded his choice to trade Marshall... but this just seems very hypocritical, to sign a guy with domestic abuse/r*pe allegations still pending.
(McDonald has since sued the women for slander... so ???)

Both Fangio and Donatel vouched for him and I guess he even flew in to talk with George.
I'm assuming it's a VERY team friendly deal.
Just question it a little.
Thoughts?

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't really know anything, but so many r*pe charges are pure bullshit that if law enforcement doesn't charge him, then I am not going to set up my own court system to adjudicate what is unknowable to me. His lawyer claims that his home video system shows it was "clearly consensual", and the charge all along was that she had sex with him when she was intoxicated (which in California and in a lot of other states, a woman cannot legally consent if she is over the legal BAC....this includes husbands by the way....for all you RAPISTS out there who have had sex with your wife wife after she's had a few).

Of course, that's his lawyer talking, so he could be full of shit too. Hard to say. But he hasn't been charged yet. I would imagine you are right, that it's a pretty team-friendly deal.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read he has filed a civil lawsuit against his accuser. It may not mean anything, but obviously Fan-tan-go knows something we don't.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any take on McDonald's legal problems? I've been a big supporter of Pace and applauded his choice to trade Marshall... but this just seems very hypocritical, to sign a guy with domestic abuse/r*pe allegations still pending.
(McDonald has since sued the women for slander... so ???)

Both Fangio and Donatel vouched for him and I guess he even flew in to talk with George.
I'm assuming it's a VERY team friendly deal.
Just question it a little.
Thoughts?

I think there's a big difference between having a guy in your locker room who has been accused of criminal behavior, and a guy who is notorious as a "team wrecker".

McDonald's problems are outside of the locker room and off of the field. Marshall's problems throughout his career have very much extended into the workplace and hurt the function of his team as a whole. Neither are good to have obviously, but I'll take the guy who has a rep as a good teammate all day.

Not only that, but it seems pretty damn evident to me that the assault charges are pure BS.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and if he can help the Bears I'm all for it.

To have this happen to a guy already on the team, and support him through it- believing he's a good guy and good teammate is one thing.
To bring in a guy in the middle of it just gives me a pause. Hope it works out.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears were in need of 5-Tech guys, we picked up 2, one is a rotational guy good at stopping the run, the other has higher potential, but has the legal issues looming. As far as the draft goes, everything ranked high in the draft is OLB or the 1 DT. No DE until a later first round pick early second round as he grades out. That's my take.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears are signing Ray McDonald and Jarvis Jenkins.

Just found an article on ESPN.com that acknowledged the Bears signed Mason Foster. They now have solid FA acquisitions at ILB and OLB... What they desperately need.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and if he can help the Bears I'm all for it.

To have this happen to a guy already on the team, and support him through it- believing he's a good guy and good teammate is one thing.
To bring in a guy in the middle of it just gives me a pause. Hope it works out.

I heard on the score that MacDonald came in on his own dime and spoke of the allegations without being asked. He knows this is probably his final chance in the league and they were confident he wont screw up again.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears were in need of 5-Tech guys, we picked up 2, one is a rotational guy good at stopping the run, the other has higher potential, but has the legal issues looming. As far as the draft goes, everything ranked high in the draft is OLB or the 1 DT. No DE until a later first round pick early second round as he grades out. That's my take.

Maybe Ive missed something, but I dont see any legit zero tech guys on the roster. I know Fangio has favored undersized NT's...but he doesnt quite( yet?) have the outstanding LB play he did in SF. I dont know if he has that luxury here in Chicago.

Thoughts?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Maybe Ive missed something, but I dont see any legit zero tech guys on the roster. I know Fangio has favored undersized NT's...but he doesnt quite( yet?) have the outstanding LB play he did in SF. I dont know if he has that luxury here in Chicago.

Thoughts?

If the season started today, we'd be seeing Ratliff (who has actually played NT very well...when he was younger) and Ferguson manning the spot. I don't think either are really ideal, but that's what you'd get.

We had $9.2 million in cap space before counting McDonald, Foster, Jenkins, and Rosario and after budgeting for signing the picks. I'm taking a guess that those four guys got something like $1.5, $3, $1 (actually this is what I heard he actually got), and $.9 million, respectively. If my guesses are right, then we have something like $2.7 million left. I would expect them to keep at least $2 million available for in-season signings, so there's not much left for a NT free agent. Unless of course they rework someone's contract.

So expect them to take somebody somewhere in the draft for this need.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Just found an article on ESPN.com that acknowledged the Bears signed Mason Foster. They now have solid FA acquisitions at ILB and OLB... What they desperately need.

I like the idea of Foster, but since he is young, I would have preferred a longer term deal.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Cali. They could make do with one or two DTs currently on the roster. I was thinking Ego might be someone they can work with. I totally forgot about Raitliffe's experience at the NT.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

Yup, what Cubzzz said, Ratliff and Ego are your NT as of this moment. OLB, we have a plethora of at the moment. In fact, too many. Bass, Houston, McPhee, Allen, Bostic, McClellin, Young... That's 7 to man 2 spots, and three of them are fairly expensive, and therefore end up keepers. I don't know what the Bears do in the draft, but I'm glad we picked up two 5 tech's because we really didn't have any.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..and a TY to you too, NC...

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, what Cubzzz said, Ratliff and Ego are your NT as of this moment. OLB, we have a plethora of at the moment. In fact, too many. Bass, Houston, McPhee, Allen, Bostic, McClellin, Young... That's 7 to man 2 spots, and three of them are fairly expensive, and therefore end up keepers. I don't know what the Bears do in the draft, but I'm glad we picked up two 5 tech's because we really didn't have any.

I really think Bostic is gonna stay inside.