• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baltimore at Texas, the Second Half & ESPN RIP

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is not here anymore. Kirkman and mccllend you can't be serious.

The loss of Josh, Young, and Napoli. And Adams, Koji just to name some. Say what you want to say but this team changed quite a bit in the off season.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their hitting with runners in scoring position and their base running has been bad for two years. And that is directly on wash.

By default part blame has to go on Wash. Guys are getting on base, getting hits, have opportunities which they haven't capitalized on. And all that is all on Wash? That's simply not fair. I'll also point out to the track record of the Rangers lineup being overly aggressive and have major tendencies in swinging at bad and early pitches. That's been really evident the last couple of seasons. You can't say it's all and only on Wash.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss of Josh, Young, and Napoli. And Adams, Koji just to name some. Say what you want to say but this team changed quite a bit in the off season.

Josh quit on this team last year. Look at his ba this year. Everybody in the club house was glad he was gone. Young was terrible second half of season. Napoli was only one worth keeping. Svheppers and ross have been better than adams and koji. We don't miss them.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh quit on this team last year. Look at his ba this year. Everybody in the club house was glad he was gone. Young was terrible second half of season. Napoli was only one worth keeping. Svheppers and ross have been better than adams and koji. We don't miss them.

Whether he quite or not that's irrelevant. The bullpen ended up working out but you can't ignore the production Josh had and you cannot ignore the force he was in general. Pitchers still had to pitch carefully to him. Young had an off year but he'd be helping this club right now. Napoli while not stellar would also be helping with the situation here as well. But what did JD to to replace those guys? They practically forced and begged a guy out of retirement that wanted to be an assistant coach at Rice. They determined a 4th outfielder to be an everyday starter. And they made Gentry and Martin battle it out for the CF position. AJP ended up being a good replacement for Napoli so I don't really have much beef with the catching situation. They got Baker who has been a huge surprise but surely nobody thought he would be anything. They've been yanking Profar back and forth on what he's going to do and what position he's going to play.

I mean people need to be rational and realistic for once. The front office hasn't done the best job either in terms of replacing the guys this team lost. Wash has done a great job this season and it's very fortunate that baseball guys and the guys we love in JD and clan are the ones making the decisions and not knee jerking and wanting to get rid of Wash because he is the least of this teams problems.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't lead this team anywhere. He rode the coat tails of the two most talented teams we've ever had and got schooled in the WS twice.

You do realize what you are saying don't you? You are basically saying that the team's talent got them to the WS and that the team managements is what lost it for them. So, basically when positive things happen, its b/c of the team and when negative things happen, its because of Wash. For someone that claims to be so realistic, I would think you would realize that in wins and losses it is a combination of both. Saying the losses are all on Wash is really a cop out, the WS losses are on the whole team.

1prboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their hitting with runners in scoring position and their base running has been bad for two years. And that is directly on wash.

The abysmal average with RISP is totally on Wash. It is his job as manager of the team to 1) hold players (and coaches) accountable and 2) make changes accordingly; he is not doing that. His hands-off style of managing and letting veteran players sort things out for themselves is not working. He needs to start MOTIVATING this team.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize what you are saying don't you? You are basically saying that the team's talent got them to the WS and that the team managements is what lost it for them. So, basically when positive things happen, its b/c of the team and when negative things happen, its because of Wash. For someone that claims to be so realistic, I would think you would realize that in wins and losses it is a combination of both. Saying the losses are all on Wash is really a cop out, the WS losses are on the whole team.

Romeo is just very very anti-Wash. He will never approve of anything Wash does unfortunately. I don't agree with everything he does but you cannot ignore the bottom line.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also cost us the cards WS by leaving cruz in left.

Really? Come on now, the Cruz defensive liability thing didn't even start till after the WS. I am not even going to get started on that play but Wash rarely if ever pulled Cruz for a defensive replacement in the 2012 season. Why exactly would you expect him to do that all the sudden? This is one of those hindsight 20/20 things.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea he did a great job by continually running kirkman out there. And by not platooning murphy in left who is having a terrible year.

What did you want him to do, Kirkman was on the roster and the starters were not going deep into games. He has to use what he has sometimes... he couldn't just run Ross and Scheppers out there every night. Kirman staying on the roster is a much the FO fault as anyone elses, if not more. And I can't blame the FO that much either, Kirkman had a ton of potential... he just never lived up to it.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what is Wash supposed to do with the outfield situation? Why can there never be accountability with JD and the front office? He has not had the ideal situation when dealing with the outfield. I don't like Murphy right now but there aren't a long list of options. As for Kirkman he was on the roster. If you're on the roster you will be used simple as that. JD refuses to DFA him which is fine. He has some great stuff if/when he is on. With the way starting pitching has been hurt and inconsistent you simply cannot ignore reality and their record. Them only being 3 games out is a miracle and you have to give credit where it is due to Wash and the whole staff.

Who were you on ESPN? I tend to agree with you a lot. Is this Randy Johnson stole my petunias?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The abysmal average with RISP is totally on Wash. It is his job as manager of the team to 1) hold players (and coaches) accountable and 2) make changes accordingly; he is not doing that. His hands-off style of managing and letting veteran players sort things out for themselves is not working. He needs to start MOTIVATING this team.

actually he has shown a ton flexibitly this season so far with shuffling the lineup... I can't say I agree with all the choices but he has been flexible with it. I'm not sure what his deal is with batting a .240 and under guy at the spot is though but the fact remains, they have had a more variable this season under him than in any season past.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romeo is just very very anti-Wash. He will never approve of anything Wash does unfortunately. I don't agree with everything he does but you cannot ignore the bottom line.

Yeah, Wash is a players coach. He is going to do a few things that just won't make sense to most of us, but these guys to love playing for him despite what you might read on here. Seems like a lot of our fan base just overreacts a ton when we go on a losing streak... I remember the days when the whole season used to be a losing streak. The Rangers are still very much in the thick of things and they are about to get some players back. I honestly don't see this a WS team but I didn't see them as a WS team in 2010 and 2011 either. Anything can happen.

1prboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually he has shown a ton flexibitly this season so far with shuffling the lineup... I can't say I agree with all the choices but he has been flexible with it. I'm not sure what his deal is with batting a .240 and under guy at the spot is though but the fact remains, they have had a more variable this season under him than in any season past.

My main problem with RW is that he doesn't hold people accountable. I can understand giving players, especially the veterans, some rope in order to get things back on track. But when those same players don't hit, keep making errors or otherwise fail to perform, what happens. The answer is NOTHING!!! What is he doing to motivate these folks into better performance? The answer is NOTHING!!! The problem is that players know that they can coast on occasion and Wash will probably not call them out. I'm not saying RW can fix everything that's wrong with this team, but the manager does need to set the tone and demeanor.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main problem with RW is that he doesn't hold people accountable. I can understand giving players, especially the veterans, some rope in order to get things back on track. But when those same players don't hit, keep making errors or otherwise fail to perform, what happens. The answer is NOTHING!!! What is he doing to motivate these folks into better performance? The answer is NOTHING!!! The problem is that players know that they can coast on occasion and Wash will probably not call them out. I'm not saying RW can fix everything that's wrong with this team, but the manager does need to set the tone and demeanor.

I'm not sure we really know what he does behind closed doors with the team... just how he handles the media. I do know that he has motivated the players at times though... they have said so.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw all the back and forth about RW. First of all I think Oates was the best manager the Rangers have ever had. All three times we went against the Yankees when they were racking up championships. We had no pitching. Secondly I believe that RW is a good clubhouse manager but he is not a good in game manager. He has cost us way too many games that even the casual observer could figure out what should have been done but yet he did not. His entire strategy is bunting, hit and run and stealing. But in game moves with pitching many times stinks along with his robotic stance once the game starts.

Old school

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players manager

Yeah, Wash is a players coach. He is going to do a few things that just won't make sense to most of us, but these guys to love playing for him despite what you might read on here. Seems like a lot of our fan base just overreacts a ton when we go on a losing streak... I remember the days when the whole season used to be a losing streak. The Rangers are still very much in the thick of things and they are about to get some players back. I honestly don't see this a WS team but I didn't see them as a WS team in 2010 and 2011 either. Anything can happen.
The definition of a players manager is one who doesn't mess with their playing time no matter how bad they play. Washington won a lot of games when he had a lot of talent to his credit. The last two years have shown his short falls as a manager. He has allowed team performance to slip, while coddling his players to retain their loyality. Most people on here agree that he is not a good manager of the game itself, claiming his value to be getting his players to play hard for him. If the play in the second half last year and what we are seeing now is playing hard for the guy, I would hate to see what would happen if they didn't love him.

I know some of you love him and will over look his faults no matter what, but being a good manager means taking the talent you have and getting the most out of it. That isn't happening anymore and even you should be able to see that. If it takes nine all-stars on the field for him to succeed, he is not a very good manager.

I realize they are not going to fire him any time soon, heck they have remained loyal to Tom Greive for forty years and everyone knows how bad he is. But the time will come when performance on the field will force their hand. In my opinion, Washington is a baby sitter , a cheer leader, and not a manager. The Rangers would be better off with a manager who would stop making excuses and demand attention to the game.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize they are not going to fire him any time soon, heck they have remained loyal to Tom Greive for forty years and everyone knows how bad he is. But the time will come when performance on the field will force their hand. In my opinion, Washington is a baby sitter , a cheer leader, and not a manager. The Rangers would be better off with a manager who would stop making excuses and demand attention to the game.

We can say a lot about RW, but he did lead a good team to the playoffs three years straight. You have to look at what a manager has to work with. Some will argue we should have went after CJ Wilson, Napoli, Young and yes Hamilton. The FO decided not to. Would we be in a better position short term if we did now? Very possibly, but JD and the FO are all about being a contending team for years to come and that means not getting into big dollar multi-year contracts that extend into the waning years of a player. If the FO is comitted to keeping cost down and going with the farm system, as we have seen there are risks involved in that. The risk of no longer contending for a few years. Romeo stated it early on by saying this was a rebuilding year. I tend to agree. If we keep close and get a shot this year that is great, but not getting my hopes up.

Plus there is a lot to say about a manager that has to work with what he has. I am sure RW converses with JD often telling him he needs an arm in the starting rotation and a power bat at COF.

1prboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The definition of a players manager is one who doesn't mess with their playing time no matter how bad they play. Washington won a lot of games when he had a lot of talent to his credit. The last two years have shown his short falls as a manager. He has allowed team performance to slip, while coddling his players to retain their loyality. Most people on here agree that he is not a good manager of the game itself, claiming his value to be getting his players to play hard for him. If the play in the second half last year and what we are seeing now is playing hard for the guy, I would hate to see what would happen if they didn't love him.

I know some of you love him and will over look his faults no matter what, but being a good manager means taking the talent you have and getting the most out of it. That isn't happening anymore and even you should be able to see that. If it takes nine all-stars on the field for him to succeed, he is not a very good manager.

Excellent description.:10:

Moe S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ranger meltdown at the end of the season last year defines Washington. The ship sunk and he sat back and watched as we did and was not able to do anything. The players couldn't possibly respect him and certainly have no fear of him.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ranger meltdown at the end of the season last year defines Washington. The ship sunk and he sat back and watched as we did and was not able to do anything. The players couldn't possibly respect him and certainly have no fear of him.

Yet they're 3 games out of first place and 11 games over .500. Fail.