• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AZ @ Utah

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had beaten ASU and looked like that, I would actually have a very, very bad feeling about this road trip (like splitting would be a blessing). But after such a bitter, bitter, loss, I feel like like we have a much better chance this weekend of splitting being the worse-case scenario.

It was a massive dose of reality, that free throws and turnovers will cost us against a team we should otherwise beat handily. We can't hide behind behind wins anymore in order to avoid facing our weaknesses. Much better to get this lesson now, than to squeak by every week, and have it hit us in the first weekend of March, and not know what hit us, until it ends our season. Now it's time to face the music, and take that shit very seriously.

Utah will be sold out, and the Huntsman Center holds 15,000 fans. It will be by far our toughest road environment of the year, and against a very solid team.

If AZ comes out with a chip on our shoulder from last night, I feel sorry for Utah. But the bottom line is that we need to play like we have a point to prove, not like we are trying to just get by.

Nick Johnson needs to focus on his shots, and get pissed off. Same with AG and his FTs (as well as his ability to knock down a 3 and spread the defense). We can say whatever we want about Miller and his lack of emphasis toward offense, but at least half of our offensive woes must rest on the players. AZ has shot a dismal 25-98 from 3 in our last 7 games. Obviously, that is just less than 25%. No one is going to get out on the perimeter to guard us (and allow us to spread the defense to better execute the offense), unless we can make some 3s. When we are making 3s, we can beat zones, pass better, and just find open men in general. But teams are staying in the post, because we are not forcing them to do anything but. And that's not on Miller. There is no offense in the world that works if you can't hit more than 25% from the perimeter. Passing lanes get clogged, and there are no high percentage shots inside. These are facts. no amount of passing, or screens, or even tip ins will work when there are always more defensive bodies in the paint.

And it doesn't get any easier against Utah with Loveridge and Bachynski. If we can't get those guys--along with Wright--away from the basket, it will be another long night.

It's nothing more than poise and focus. These guys' confidence has been really tested, and it happened long before ASU, or Ashley's injury. We have to find that edge, and not lose it again. Our defense is always great. That has been our one constant. But we need to pick defenses apart, and always, always attack. Every possession needs to be a specific well orchestrated attack. Absolutely no wasted possessions. Complete focus in every action. Anything less will equal a loss from here on out. @ UTah, @ CU, Cal, Stan, @ OSU, @ UO, then right into the P12 tourney, and then the dance. Every team will play their best to beat us, and nothing less than our best will suffice. This is the stretch that separates the good teams from the great teams. Not saying that we can't lose again or the season is over, but the bottom line is that we shouldn't lose again until Dallas (if then). Plain and simple. In the next month, we will find out exactly who this team is.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have lowered my expectations for this team now, I have zero trust in Miller making the changes necessary and us suddenly making FTs.
Maybe this game lights a fire under them but I just dont know. Its obvious our team isnt the same without Ashley and Miller fucked us over by not developing a bench, we have a lot to improve on if we even want to sniff reaching the Final Four much less win the title.

As for this game, expect another close one. Probably a UA win by less than 10. Thats my call.

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, azchamps. It appears that you haven't posted on our forums in quite awhile. Is your team really that bad?! Come on and throw your two-cents in too! :wtf2:

Where did that come from? Arizona is a very good team. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination......but my expectations have not fallen to an all time low. I still feel that AZ has a reasonable shot at the NC. :suds:

GO CATS! BEAR DOWN! Bring home a win from Utah.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, azchamps. It appears that you haven't posted on our forums in quite awhile. Is your team really that bad?! Come on and throw your two-cents in too! :wtf2:

Where did that come from? Arizona is a very good team. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination......but my expectations have not fallen to an all time low. I still feel that AZ has a reasonable shot at the NC. :suds:

GO CATS! BEAR DOWN! Bring home a win from Utah.

Who wrote that to you?

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bench also needs to contribute. They had ZERO points on Friday. Gabe york throwing up bricks from behind the arc is all on Gabe York.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac-12 Offices admit that the refs missed the Tech at the end of the game on Carson.

Obviously, that call did not decide the outcome. Arizona lost because they could not hold a lead late, because they missed a ton of open looks and because they could not buy a FT... again.

What is curious to me, however, is the way that refs handle technical fouls given to the crowd. It has always been a case in the past, where a warning would be given to the bench in a situation where the crowd overstepped it's bounds. Surly when that Frat-boy frizbeed his fat-head and hit a UofA player the asu bench must have been warned... That is where the rules are a bit fuzzy. I mean, I get why they didn't call a Tech on the students for rushing the court prematurely, but surely the crowd and the bench were already on double-secret probation. I also get the dead-ball-refs-going-to-the-monitor as being the reason why a tech was not called on the fans, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the entire bench (players/coaches/trainers) were 10 feet out onto the court with time still on the clock. Weirdest is the fact that Arizona has now lost 2 games, and both of them ended with time left on the clock and the opponents entire bench out on the court. Me, I would hate to see the Cats win a game like that, because the refs called a tech with under a second to go... but still, those are the rules and it's curious that they haven't even addressed the players/coaches being on the court, although they give a reason why the fans are excused.

Either way, this has nothing to do with the outcome and Arizona deserved the L. Personally I'm glad that Arizona lost. It is good for them to get knocked down a peg and it is great that Herb Sendek will now get his team into the NCAA tournament and will get another extension as a result, so he'll be the Head Coach at asu for the next 5 years. Couldn't be happier about that.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of that, GS.

Ultimately, I don't give a shit about the techs, AZ needed to lose that game with the way they played. But why is there a rule, if they have no intention of following it? And I understand that rushing the court did not directly interfere with live play; but shit, when it takes them 10 minutes to clear the court, that has to qualify as some sort of interference. Again, they are going to review those plays 10 times out of 10, so does that mean that fans can just rush the court for every game where a shot is taken with less than like 3 seconds on the clock? Is that the message they are trying to send? Because it's clear that after the Cal game, and now the ASU game, the fans are specifically not to be held accountable when they rush the court, with time left on the clock. And by the way, isn't there supposed to be a tech for fans throwing shit on the court, especially when only the game prior did they spit on opposing coaches or players? It just seems crazy to me that when fans do that in the previous game, that they should be on a short leash.

I just really think that the refs lost control of the game. Letting fans throw shit on the court with no accountability. Letting Carson hang on the rim, also no accountability. Then fans, players, and coaches all rushing the court with time clearly on the clock, and still no accountability. All all this in the game after fans were spitting on the opposing team. The refs should have made sure that the whole place was warned before tipoff, a tech issued for the fan throwing shit onto the court, followed by another warning to the whole place over the loudspeaker. And then another warning (loud and clear) before the end of regulation that rushing the court with time on the clock will result in another tech. Refs completely failed to ever have control over the situation. I mean, this wasn't just another basketball game, and it's not like the concerns were felt in a vacuum. What the fuck did they think was going to happen? High stakes game for ASU, against the rival, ranked #2, and the game after they already proved to be out of control.

Ultimately, like I said, I don't give a shit if fans rush the court. It just shows me that beating AZ is so unexpected, and such an achievement, that opposing fans lose their minds over it. I think it's actually a compliment, to what AZ is. And I don't even remember what AZ rushing the court looks like. I think I read that AZ hasn't done it since like 2001, and before that, it was 1998. So I get why fans do it, and that's cool; but I also can't see it from their perspective, because it's pretty foreign to me. But I get it, I've rushed the field in football. But shit, have control over the game. Absolutely no reason that fans should be dictating games like that, and allowed to do so, especially when there is all the reason in the world to anticipate them doing so.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. It just popped up at the top of the page under the forum selections. It went away after I posted. :noidea:

Maybe it's just an automated message that they have if it's been a while since you've posted.:noidea:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best student sections in the conference
ESPN NCAAF Top five Pac-12 student sections

The Zona Zoo is tops to me because of the sheer number. Ten thousand may be a little excessive, because our football program is not consistently good enough to draw 10k students for every game. But really, the university has definitely made the concessions for them, if we do ever get that good.

I just wish that they'd make the same concessions for the Zona Zoo for basketball games. They need to put them courtside, and stop giving those seats to the highest bidder. It would make us hands down one of the harshest environments in the country. I could really see us getting to the level of KU, UK, Duke, etc., after a few years. It's already a tough place (obviously), but there are just too few really passionate fans up front to get in the face of the opposing teams. We do well despite that, but it could really push us over the top. We've all talked about this for years, but it's essentially the same problem that Oregon has for football. I think that if Miller can get us back to around the success that Lute brought, then the culture would certainly be there to always sell out the Zona Zoo (even during break) for basketball games. The last 7 or so years of Lute leaving, the interim years, and Millers early years, has softened the culture of AZ basketball, as far as the students are concerned. I think it's apparent when the Zona Zoo doesn't sell out (in games like the early non-conf, and during break). But if the team is always in the top ten, and routinely getting deep into March, it will solidify the argument that the students need to be up front. And when it comes down to it, as the older fans are unable to come to games (due to health, etc.), then loyalty to them, as far as them keeping their seats, can be fought.

It's just crazy to me that 10k students are given seats right up front for football, and they are relegated behind the basket for basketball. I get that the students are needed to bring the atmosphere to football games, but it would drastically help our home court advantage (and McKale's notoriety).

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Zona Zoo is tops to me because of the sheer number. Ten thousand may be a little excessive, because our football program is not consistently good enough to draw 10k students for every game. But really, the university has definitely made the concessions for them, if we do ever get that good.

I just wish that they'd make the same concessions for the Zona Zoo for basketball games. They need to put them courtside, and stop giving those seats to the highest bidder. It would make us hands down one of the harshest environments in the country. I could really see us getting to the level of KU, UK, Duke, etc., after a few years. It's already a tough place (obviously), but there are just too few really passionate fans up front to get in the face of the opposing teams. We do well despite that, but it could really push us over the top. We've all talked about this for years, but it's essentially the same problem that Oregon has for football. I think that if Miller can get us back to around the success that Lute brought, then the culture would certainly be there to always sell out the Zona Zoo (even during break) for basketball games. The last 7 or so years of Lute leaving, the interim years, and Millers early years, has softened the culture of AZ basketball, as far as the students are concerned. I think it's apparent when the Zona Zoo doesn't sell out (in games like the early non-conf, and during break). But if the team is always in the top ten, and routinely getting deep into March, it will solidify the argument that the students need to be up front. And when it comes down to it, as the older fans are unable to come to games (due to health, etc.), then loyalty to them, as far as them keeping their seats, can be fought.

It's just crazy to me that 10k students are given seats right up front for football, and they are relegated behind the basket for basketball. I get that the students are needed to bring the atmosphere to football games, but it would drastically help our home court advantage (and McKale's notoriety).

Yes I hate the fact that our student section for basketball is behind the hoop. Who does that? Not only do the students of the university get a bad view of the game no one on TV can even see them. All the TV audience gets to see are old farts sitting on their hands the whole game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best student sections in the conference
ESPN NCAAF Top five Pac-12 student sections

ummmm.... no. The Student section is ranked #1 because of how large it is and because is spans the length of the field... the students themselves are fair-weather as hell.

They show up when the team is winning and don't show up after a few losses... and you are suggesting that the Athletic Department give away $400 seats that help fund the athletic department to 18 year old booze-hounds that would rather be at dirtbags? And you want to do this because it will look better on television? Time for a reality check guys:

The Arizona Athletic Department will never move the student section back (it used to be court side back in the day) so long as UofA basketball is the most prized ticket in Tucson, as it has been for 30 years. As long as they can sell priority seating for upwards of $50,000 a year, including the donations that get them the priority seating to begin with.

Arizona is one of the top-10 revenue generating basketball programs in the country. Because they are able to sell those priority seats for such a high amount, they are able to fund non-revenue generating sports like tennis and lacrosse.

Anybody who says "MOVE THE KIDS TO THE EXPENSIVE SEATS!!!" might as well say: "I really wish that the track and field and cross country and volleyball teams had no money, that would be awesome".

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this over on PGU and I'm going to post it here as well because I feel like you guys are way too down on this team. I understand we are struggling but here's the reality of the situation:

We need to all just relax a little. Some of you are acting like we've never lost a game before.

Think about how very easily we could be 25-0 right now... I would be a little worried if we were getting blown out, but losing two road games vs. tourney-bound teams by a combined total of 5 points with controversial endings in both games is not something to panic about.

Sure, we are shooting horribly, but our defense will keep us in every single game we play this year. Even in the tourney. The only team that has been perfect is Syracuse (not counting Cupcake St.) and that took a 33 foot desperation three pointer, some close OT wins and a miracle steal and lay-in AT HOME vs. a mediocre NCST team.

My point is, every team in the nation has its flaws right now and there is not one team I look at and think "Oh boy, they would absolutely kill us" EVEN with the way we are playing right now. The bottom line is we will need to improve offensively to win a national title, but not by as much as you guys are making it out to be. This team can still compete with ANYONE in the nation on a neutral court. Believe that.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So two things:

1) I completely agree that the team is not near as consistent enough in winning for them to be a legit student section. I said as much. I wrote that they are #1 only because of size, not in dedication. No argument there, so I'm not sure what you are rebutting on that. They are certainly not committed enough to constantly fill the entire Zona Zoo game after game for the whole game. I just don't think that the program is strong enough to keep them there all game, and every game. And, having to fill 10k seats of students for a program that is largely mediocre is a tall order.

2) As far as basketball is concerned, I agree about the revenue, but I disagree overall. I definitely get that those seats are the prized tickets in Tucson, bar none. And so the notion to charge the shit out of them is obviously valid, and helpful to the athletic department. No argument there. And I still think that there should be most of the seating behind the basket, because it certainly helps as a distraction. But I think that there should be a couple hundred seats behind the benches across midcourt to help bring the noise and excitement levels up. Because with everything that McKale has going for it, it's not one of the premier home courts in CBB. You don't have to cut out 3,000 seats courtside and completely throwout the high rollers. But it does need an injection of life that is missing. I think that it will help with bringing a big game feel to every contest, it could be assigned to the first couple hundred who show up (the most passionate), and it will add to the difficulty of playing at McKale.

But how long ago exactly is "back in the day" that students sat courtside? Because as long as I can remember, students sat in the top bowl, and then were moved down behind the basket beginning in 2005-2006. This article says that the students have been trying for it since the late 1980s.

Arizona Athletics and ASUA Announce McKale Center Student Section Plans - The University of Arizona Official Athletic Site

So it had to have been before the success of Lute and AZ basketball that the students sat courtside. I think this is also true, given the fact that the courtside ticket holders have had those seats for decades and decades. So I don't think that there was ever a time where the students had those seats for times of great success (that which we are currently known for), and pissed it away from lack of attendance. I know that there were some issues after 2005 when the seats in the top bowl were empty during the down years and over break, which I covered in my previous post. But I think that if the top bowl behind the back board was sold to the public, and maybe chop off the top of the middle bowl and sell those to the public, then those students could sit courtside and it wouldn't really disrupt the revenue, or the seating.

So we could still keep the tennis and lacrosse programs, and the bluehairs would still get the majority of courtside seats. But I think it's a travesty that AZ is not among the very top of homecourts, and I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of energy close to the court. If even a couple few hundred seats were assigned to the Zona Zoo as like a special section, then it would give the most passionate and loudest fans the ability to bring the crowd up a notch. There would still be more than enough behind the basket, and the revenue would not see a ridiculous hit. Overall though, I think it would invigorate the crowd, and the team, and make it an even better ticket, and I think that it would show in the winning % of AZ at home. It would be that much more difficult of a place to play. That would go further to always selling out, because the energy level would be higher with students next to the court that could hype the rest of the fans (instead of counting on them to do it exclusively from behind the basket). I think it would really improve the culture of McKale for the students, and for the crowd in general (not to mention the effect that it would have to further hype the team, and wreak havoc on opponents.

Ultimately, I think that would replace any (or most) revenue lost by the change.

Finally, we have to realize that they are students. And even at places like UNC, and MSU, IU, UCLA, etc., student and overall attendance drops when the program is not on top. So I don't think that that will change, no matter where students are put. But I do think that if the place is louder, and the energy levels are higher, it will get a little more out of the players, disrupt the opponents a bit more, help us win more games at home, be a hotter ticket, a better venue nationally, and keep attendance/revenue up while AZ is on top. I think that even just giving the students the A2, A3, and A4 sections on the floor, and not even the ones right above them (still in the bottom bowl), would be huge for everyone.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this over on PGU and I'm going to post it here as well because I feel like you guys are way too down on this team. I understand we are struggling but here's the reality of the situation:

We need to all just relax a little. Some of you are acting like we've never lost a game before.

Think about how very easily we could be 25-0 right now... I would be a little worried if we were getting blown out, but losing two road games vs. tourney-bound teams by a combined total of 5 points with controversial endings in both games is not something to panic about.

Sure, we are shooting horribly, but our defense will keep us in every single game we play this year. Even in the tourney. The only team that has been perfect is Syracuse (not counting Cupcake St.) and that took a 33 foot desperation three pointer, some close OT wins and a miracle steal and lay-in AT HOME vs. a mediocre NCST team.

My point is, every team in the nation has its flaws right now and there is not one team I look at and think "Oh boy, they would absolutely kill us" EVEN with the way we are playing right now. The bottom line is we will need to improve offensively to win a national title, but not by as much as you guys are making it out to be. This team can still compete with ANYONE in the nation on a neutral court. Believe that.

I think we're fine, Sting. We just have to work on our weaknesses (which every team does). There is no far and away favorite, and I think we can still be as strong as anyone. Here is what I wrote in response to runeman saying that we "have lost our way".

No I get it, but none of us are looking for the "technical win" most of us are glad we lost, so that the team won't keep thinking that they can just continue to skate by the rest of the season with bad FTs and costly turnovers. They haven't really had to face the music on those weaknesses, because it hasn't cost them any games yet, although all of us fans have been beside ourselves all year that we need to address them. We are hoping that such a despicable loss, to our rivals, who "doesn't even belong on the same floor" (we agree), in 2OT will be the kick in the ass that they need to pull their heads out, bear down, and play AZ basketball. You really can't get much more of a crushing blow than that. So we are really interested to see how they respond. This weekend will definitely be a test. Utah and Colorado are extremely tough at home. Utah only has one loss at home this year (in OT), and other than the game after losing Dinwiddie, CU's only loss at home is in OT.

I can see how you think that AZ has lost their way. But like I told you before; you would definitely be premature to count them out. Johnson is no where near done, and AG just needs confidence. That can come at any time, or it could not. But I bet it does. We'll see. AZ has one of the toughest remaining schedules in the country, left to play. So we'll see how they respond.

AZ needs to do 3 things to play at an elite level:

1) Make FTs. Not easy, but it's not complicated. Really, they're free throws. They just need to figure out how to focus. Obviously, it remains to be seen, but it's all between the ears.

2) Costly turnovers. This relates to the third point, but a lot of it is also focus. Just have to play in the moment. There have been times when AZ has has like 8 turnovers in the first half, and then 1 or 2 in the second half. When they are focused on making good decisions, they respond well.

3) They need to be able to make teams respect them from outside. In their last 7 games, AZ is 24-98 from 3pt, and accordingly, has looked like shit. At the beginning of the year, AG was making 3pt attempts and teams figured out that they had to get out on him. That helped to open up the post by spreading the defense. Now, he won't take that shot, because his confidence is shot. Brandon Ashley helped in spreading the defense by doing the same thing (making open 3pts). He's gone, but it doesn't mean that we can't still spread defenses. Over these last 7 games (where we have shot less than 25% from 3pt), Nick Johnson has gone 6-29 (21%) from 3pt, including a 0-13 drought. So even though Ashley is out, shooting 24% from 3pt (and specifically not having NJ or AG being able to make 3pts) has made teams not respect our perimeter shooting. Teams just stay down low, clog passing and driving lanes, and crowd the basket for boards. It's bogging down our offense. Rondae Hollis Jefferson has splashed some 3s early in the season, and he needs to get back to making enough to keep teams honest. If we can do that, it will open up passing and driving lanes for TJ and NJ to pick defenses apart, and allow room inside for putbacks and tip ins by AG and Zeus. This is how we have been successful this year.

So you see, it has very little to do with Ashley. He will be missed when our bench starts to get thin, but thankfully, none of our guys average more than 32 mpg. So we definitely have the pieces to still make a very deep run. We just need to understand that we have to face our weaknesses, instead of just trying to work around them. The loss to ASU could very well be the slap in the face we needed, because these problems happened with Ashley, and are much bigger than any one player. So I'd (and I think most AZ fans would agree) be stoked if the loss was the wake up call we needed. What we were concerned with, is that we'd keep squeaking out wins, and not face the music of our weaknesses, and then have it cost us in March, and then the season is over; no opportunity to address them at that point.

Again, we'll see how it all plays out. But AZ can still be as dangerous as almost anyone in the country. If they don't learn their lessons, then it's not for any other reason but because they didn't get their minds right. The pieces are certainly still there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are really saying is: I wish that I could see more "Zona-crazies" on television because that would be cool for you personally. What you are saying is: You want the country to see more kids in the stands instead of old people because it embarrasses you to watch big games on TV and see a lot of old people sitting on their hands. Simple solution? Move back to Tucson and buy a ticket and then you won't have to complain about what you are watching on television.

Arizona gets top recruits. Arizona wins the vast majority of its homegames, wins conference championships. Arizona basketball is one of the top-10 programs in the nation and all of this without 1000 fairweather 18 year olds sitting within eye-shot of the Television cameras.

Besides... if you really want to effect changes CTP, write a letter to Greg Byrne. 1000 words on a fan forum as to why you believe that revenue would be unchanged by the transferring of Student seating to sections A2, A3 and A4 is not an effective solution to your problem.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are really saying is: I wish that I could see more "Zona-crazies" on television because that would be cool for you personally. What you are saying is: You want the country to see more kids in the stands instead of old people because it embarrasses you to watch big games on TV and see a lot of old people sitting on their hands. Simple solution? Move back to Tucson and buy a ticket and then you won't have to complain about what you are watching on television.

Arizona gets top recruits. Arizona wins the vast majority of its homegames, wins conference championships. Arizona basketball is one of the top-10 programs in the nation and all of this without 1000 fairweather 18 year olds sitting within eye-shot of the Television cameras.

Besides... if you really want to effect changes CTP, write a letter to Greg Byrne. 1000 words on a fan forum as to why you believe that revenue would be unchanged by the transferring of Student seating to sections A2, A3 and A4 is not an effective solution to your problem.

Hahaha, trust me man, I'm trying like hell to get back to Tucson, and take over my parents season tickets. But it's not about me personally. I'm not just trying to see kids on tv because I think it's cool. I'm not just hoping that AZ looks better for the cameras. And I'm not embarrassed about the bluehairs. I think that I want a better atmosphere in Mckale. I think we can achieve that, for the same reasons outlined by the ASUA in their justification that the student section be moved from the rafters, to behind the basket. I'm not embarrassed, jealous, or vain. I just think that we can do better. McKale sells out (or close) to the tune that McKale has been top 20 in attendance every year since 1987. So why is it that McKale is not widely regarded as the most difficult place to play in the West, and the country?

It's because the energy level is not as high as other places, and that is not because of the students. It's because of everyone over 50. I understand that it's probably viewed as us needed to accept that in exchange for their generous contributions. But I think that with all of the teams accolades, and the constant attendance, that we should be on par with the arenas that are louder, more energetic, and more imposing to opposing teams. That's it. It does nothing but help if we are widely regarded as one of the premier homecourts in CBB. It makes for an even hotter ticket, teams are that much more nervous to come and play, our players get that much more hyped; and I have to believe that it would be just that much more reflective in home court winning percentage.

Besides, all we are doing is talking basketball, right? It's not like your 1000 word critiques on a fan forum of Miller's timeout usage, or his bench involvement is an effective solution to the problem either, right? Have you penned your thoughts to Coach Miller, or sought a meeting to discuss the matter, personally?

I just think that we can make the homecourt advantage a little better. I really don't see a reason that we can't have multiple years of going undefeated at home. I realize that Lute did that despite not having fairweather 18 year olds within earshot of the camera, but I think that we can make it that much more difficult to play at McKale. Who knows, maybe AZ could have beaten SDSU, Oregon, and UW at home in 2012, and had a nice little 40-game regular home winning steak going into the loss against UCLA last year. That's something pretty nice for AZ (and Miller recruiting) to hang his hat on. Hell, we only lost to SDSU by 4, Oregon and UW by 2 each. Maybe we can win some of those tough games in the future that wemight otherwise lose, because we can go just a little further to have the crowd be a little more a part of the action, and shake the confidence of the other team. Other than the losses last year against UCLA and Cal, we are only 8 points in those three games in 2012 away from Miller being 64-2 at home after his first year. Not that it's vastly different than 61-5, but maybe winning a couple of those close ones would have gotten us into the tourney that year.

It's all hypothetical speculation, but I think it's worth discussing, even if no one outside of this site sees it. Nothing wrong with just shooting the shit, right?